• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.

shira

Goddamn, one of my friends is actually getting 11k USD offers for his courier
Offered and paid is a whole different ballgame.

If you go Western Union/bank transer that leaves a paper trail.
If you go Paypal you can get chargebacked.
If you do face-to-face you can get robbed.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
has anyone actually sold a dota 2 item for that much money? it always seems to me like anyone offering that much are just looking to scam someone

At least one of his offers is from a known reputable person. I do hope he doesn't get scammed.

fiore

Banned
Yeah, it's great to see so much value from these items, but trying to trade and get paid for it is just too problematic.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Yeah, it's great to see so much value from these items, but trying to trade and get paid for it is just too problematic.

I don't think it's (pink legacies badger) even that nice looking lol, just extremely rare. My new dragon courier is much more awesome :p

Calidor

What the hell? 11k for a cosmetic? How is that even a good investment? Its not unique, easily duplicated by Valve at any given time, its highly speculative value can't guarantee that it will get more expensive over time (unlike art) and it's not liquid at all

Wtf people

shira

What the hell? 11k for a cosmetic? How is that even a good investment? Its not unique, easily duplicated by Valve at any given time, its highly speculative value can't guarantee that it will get more expensive over time (unlike art) and it's not liquid at all

Wtf people
It's a game in itself. How high before the bubble bursts. Will it hit 100k? No.
But how much higher than 30k can they go? If LOL wins then those items become worthless.

There is a saturation point for people who have X amount of income and actual sellers/collecters.

fiore

Banned
I don't think it's (pink legacies badger) even that nice looking lol, just extremely rare. My new dragon courier is much more awesome :p
Yes I love the new dragon courier too. I may sound envious to the value of the items but honestly I don't care about collecting, I just enjoy the game. I do have to say that the collection of items helps with the longevity of the game though

Haunted

These scammers are so fucking bad, this guy had tried to scam me with another of his friends like 5 minuts before this, added me with the same name/avatar as I had removed him with.:lol

Mjbmf4d.png
wooooow

Wes how could you

Just let me borrow please.
:lol

What the hell? 11k for a cosmetic? How is that even a good investment?
As with any investment, if you can buy lower than you sold it for, it was a good investment. Also, if you're simply a collector and want it to complete your collection, it doesn't matter whether it's a good investment or not; it's what you wanted and the price is how much it costs to get it. Simple as that.

Its not unique, easily duplicated by Valve at any given time
That's not how Valve deals with cosmetics. If it's a limited run, however many exist are all there will ever be. For some items, there is exactly one of them in the world. If you want one of them, you gotta pay the toll. The only time Valve makes a duplicate is if someone's Steam account gets hacked. They will replace stolen items with a Valve-granted copy. Otherwise, for some items there will only ever be a couple hundred (or less of) ever, regardless of how many millions start playing the game later. Some people like having something unique and exclusive.

its highly speculative value can't guarantee that it will get more expensive over time (unlike art) and it's not liquid at all
It's not really speculative. The upper end is speculative, but the reserve pricing and base pricing are a function of what they've been sold at before.

Certainly it's good to cash out before a game dies. Otherwise, you hold and enjoy the exclusivity until you're good and ready to sell.

One day, Valve will just give this courier with a T-shirt and the price will crash.
Never have and never will.

Wok

Wtf people

One day, Valve will just give this courier with a T-shirt and the price will crash, like the flower treant incident.

Never have and never will.

There is no promise made by Valve, and even if there were one, Valve could do a Riot move and break the promise.

G.ZZZ

Thanks for the guidelines. I'm still doing some lobby matches to figure out a good jungle strat - microing familiars isn't super difficult for me, but they do have really low hp early on. Need to avoid medium camps a bit longer, I think. It's really the start of the match that goes poorly for me - hopefully mek>blink works better. Soul Ring is unnecessarily fucking over my already weak hp pool after some jungling, so I'm going to avoid that.

You can't jungle without SR. Check the replay i linked you, it's actually pretty easy to jungle with enigma, and you're the fastest jungler in the game.

There is no promise made by Valve, and even if there were one, Valve could do a Riot move and break the promise.
Nope. Look man, I've been playing and trading in Valve F2P games since 2008.

Unlike Riot, Valve has done everything they can to foster and grow an aftermarket marketplace. They've done some interesting things in their experimentation, but torpedoing their high-end markets or baseline currencies are not something they have done or will do. They won't, for example, make strange items or Unusuals droppable. They're tied to their economic theories with which they base their item pricing and quantity decisions on. Riot's efforts are not worthy of raising in this sort of conversation, as all purchased items are account-bound. There is no after-market for Riot in-game items except for those bought/sold at events that come with codes. Their direction on in-game items is damn near the complete opposite of Valve's.

Sliver

Man I just had the worst game ever as Shadow Shaman in ixdl-o. Never played him and just did awful. Surprised my team didn't rage as much as they did, usually ixdl-o is full of dicks but it seems to be getting better.

SamVimes

S4 has no bottle > Invoker easily wins lane, s4 constantly low on health trying to get cs > s4 get's ganked several times > snowball Invoker > fast gg.

Not a coincidence that Invoker lead in net worth the entire game by a landslide.

The point is that the courier was sniped and there is no way to know if the game would've gone any different.
Also it's worth noting that Fnatic has a really good track record against Alliance (except the recent slump), there's a reason they chose Orange over them at TI3.

The point is that the courier was sniped and there is no way to know if the game would've gone any different.
Also it's worth noting that Fnatic has a really good track record against Alliance (except the recent slump), there's a reason they chose Orange over them at TI3.

With or without the courier and bottle, they still sit on QoP all early game. So yea, the results are probably the same.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I've always sucked ass with Visage, all that gargoyle micro =/

But last game it somehow clicked... 10-0.

Could've played better, but... man am I happy.

I always random, and now my instarepick hero list is one name shorter.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I've always sucked ass with Visage, all that gargoyle micro =/

But last game it somehow clicked... 10-0.

Could've played better, but... man am I happy.

I always random, and now my instarepick hero list is one name shorter.
I have my one 11-1 Visage game that got me on a "I'm gonna play more Visage!!" kick real hard but I have yet to relive the magic.

That one good game I think I mostly managed to snowball from people underestimating the early power of grave chill and soul assumption and didn't really have as much to do with particularly great Visage play (tho I did manage a couple decent chain stuns with the gargoyles). I still think he's a rad hero but maybe a little bit too much work to play regularly with the group of tryhards I play with.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I have my one 11-1 Visage game that got me on a "I'm gonna play more Visage!!" kick real hard but I have yet to relive the magic.

That one good game I think I mostly managed to snowball from people underestimating the early power of grave chill and soul assumption and didn't really have as much to do with particularly great Visage play (tho I did manage a couple decent chain stuns with the gargoyles). I still think he's a rad hero but maybe a little bit too much work to play regularly with the group of tryhards I play with.

Yeah, I can understand the feeling. Lots of clicking around. Still... I started to dual farm with the gargs somewhere else and that really helped with the income. I didn't even notice when two guys on the opposing team quit the game haha.

These micro heavy heroes... I have lots of admiration for the people who can play them well.

BeesEight

Man, I thought Earth Spirit was weird.

How the hell do you play Oracle?

Clever use of Fortune's End so you can use your spells offensively without giving the enemies the bonus health regen or False Promise allies to prevent killing them from the burst damage of Purifying Flames. Fate's Edict can also nullify your own damage on the target but allow healing through. Lots of interesting synergy.

I think he looks pretty neat and potentially really strong. And he's only been getting better with so many abilities becoming purgable in 6.79.

http://dotabuff.com/matches/371710163

Infuriating RD match. I first pick Zeus, and my teammates pick Slardar and then 3 carries, even though we begged the last guy to pick a support. I'm mid against a Viper. I call missing every time he roams, he still gets a 7 kill streak, both top and bot lose their lanes, and then everyone just dogpiles on me and says it's my fault because I didn't help enough. Ok I get it, I didn't gank, but by the time I was even halfway there both of my teammates in the other lane were either dead or low HP and running away, so wtf could I have done? I was better off farming in mid. The rest of the match was them telling me not to play mid if I don't know how to play. Christ people can get under your skin sometimes.

BeesEight

Infuriating RD match. I first pick Zeus, and my teammates pick Slardar and then 3 carries, even though we begged the last guy to pick a support. I'm mid against a Viper. I call missing every time he roams, he still gets a 7 kill streak, both top and bot lose their lanes, and then everyone just dogpiles on me and says it's my fault because I didn't help enough. Ok I get it, I didn't gank, but by the time I was even halfway there both of my teammates in the other lane were either dead or low HP and running away, so wtf could I have done? I was better off farming in mid. The rest of the match was them telling me not to play mid if I don't know how to play. Christ people can get under your skin sometimes.

Uh... there's probably very little you could have done. Your team composition is atrocious and theirs is all kinds of silly good. Three melees and a Void is never a brilliant idea. You have five people who need to sit and farm items but no one wants to spend gold on wards, courier, mek, pipe or what have you.

All the Radiant have to do is group up and force fights and you guys would lose. And you don't have any split/counter pushers to punish them for it.

Though, there are probably things you could personally work on (haven't seen the replay but there's always something you can work on) this seems like one of those matches lost at the pick screen.

Uh... there's probably very little you could have done. Your team composition is atrocious and theirs is all kinds of silly good. Three melees and a Void is never a brilliant idea. You have five people who need to sit and farm items but no one wants to spend gold on wards, courier, mek, pipe or what have you.

All the Radiant have to do is group up and force fights and you guys would lose. And you don't have any split/counter pushers to punish them for it.

Though, there are probably things you could personally work on (haven't seen the replay but there's always something you can work on) this seems like one of those matches lost at the pick screen.
Absolutely. But when I mentioned this to my teammates during our argument, the LD said, and this is a direct quote, "Picks don't matter, it's how you play." Give me a goddamn break. That was the point where I realized I should never have started arguing with them.

To give credit where it's due, our Slardar bought a few sets of wards and the courier. I think the Void, LD, and DK were a 3-stack. Which would explain why they refused to put any blame on each other, and picked me as the person to blame.

And I agree with you that I could have done better. Absolutely. I'm not a great mid, that's why I wanted to practice. But getting the lion's share of the blame by a team who last picked 3 hard carries, and fed both top and bot lanes? No, I will not be having any of that bullshit.

That is a very greedy line-up and you were unlikely to win, however, not to be overly critical, but I kind of agree with your team. You didn't move from mid lane as Zeus for 22 minutes. They were being killed under their tower by Viper, not much they could do. You needed to teleport.

You weren't better off farming. Zeus doesn't need a lot of farm (at least compared to the rest of your team). You should have been getting your gold from ganks and also buying wards. With the shitty lanes your team had, you were always going to be up against it, but that's all the more reason to go and help them out early.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, just trying to help.

BeesEight

Absolutely. But when I mentioned this to my teammates during our argument, the LD said, and this is a direct quote, "Picks don't matter, it's how you play." Give me a goddamn break. That was the point where I realized I should never have started arguing with them.

To give credit where it's due, our Slardar bought a few sets of wards and the courier. I think the Void, LD, and DK were a 3-stack. Which would explain why they refused to put any blame on each other, and picked me as the person to blame.

Picks really do matter, though it will likely take time for many of the people in your bracket to realize it (certainly many people I play with don't understand it). It's one of the great aspects of Dota. And certainly good play can make up for poor picks, but when all things are equal (which matchmaking tries to achieve), the team composition is most certainly going to matter.

So, yeah, their team is beatable but it also would have required understanding their team's capabilities which I suspect your allies didn't. But you're right, arguing with them is pointless. I'm guessing you solo queue'd? I often write those games off at the pick screen. Not that I won't try, but it won't bother me so much if we lose since it was an uphill battle from the buzzer.

If people start giving flak in those games, I'm usually pretty quick on the mute button.

[quoe]And I agree with you that I could have done better. Absolutely. I'm not a great mid, that's why I wanted to practice. But getting the lion's share of the blame by a team who last picked 3 hard carries, and fed both top and bot lanes? No, I will not be having any of that bullshit.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, teams win and lose together, as cliched as that sounds. With matchmaking, unless you're in a stack, you're unlikely to play with those teammates again so I often try to analyze my play and see what I can improve. Helps put things into perspective for me and keeps me from raging against the OD that somehow managed to lose to a TA mid. Anyone that solely blames another for the loss is just stagnating their own skill and looking to point fingers instead of improve.

So, yeah, definitely don't have their shit. I just smile and chalk those games up to the "joys of solo queue."

That is a very greedy line-up and you were unlikely to win, however, not to be overly critical, but I kind of agree with your team. You didn't move from mid lane as Zeus for 22 minutes. They were being killed under their tower by Viper, not much they could do. You needed to teleport.

Ah, is the replay up now? Maybe I'll take a look.

Ogre Magi + Bear is another fun one yeah. And speaking of bear buffing, I know it has been done more than once, but the BKB bear is also entertaining. There was one game in particular I remember that Alliance/NTH used it to break a base. Think it was at one of the LANs in China. Know they were on Dire, that's all I remember without searching for the game specifically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom