• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a small thing, but I don't get why some casters continue to refer characters by their old names. Like, Tobi uses Furion pretty regularly when they should really stick to the names present in the game, not just for copyright reasons or whatever but as an assist to new players. It's hard enough to follow what's going on as is for newbies, but using names that aren't even in the game just takes that a step further for no good reason.

I agree. I've been trying to change the way I refer to wisp so that I get used to calling him Io.

I get that some people have been calling them x or y for so many years, but it's been a long enough time (going on what? 2 years now?), and there aren't that many heroes that had changed names. You can get used to calling Furion, Nature's Prophet. It's not hard.

Some people just thinking referring to them with old names makes them look cool.

shira

Scythe of Vyse headasets shipping next week? Bunch of people have said they have their confirmations
http://steelseries.com/us/products/games/dota2/steelseries-siberia-v2-dota-2-edition
360fx360f

If you wanna sell yours or pick one up the price is going to bottom out quite soon.
http://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/570/Genuine Scythe of Vyse

ksan

I agree. I've been trying to change the way I refer to wisp so that I get used to calling him Io.

I get that some people have been calling them x or y for so many years, but it's been a long enough time (going on what? 2 years now?), and there aren't that many heroes that had changed names. You can get used to calling Furion, Nature's Prophet. It's not hard.

Some people just thinking referring to them with old names makes them look cool.

Wisp/io is still wisp though...
Just as mirana is still potm etc.

I think people call furion furion, because it's the most reasonable thing to do if you don't want to call him by his abbreviation.

Yo screw Io. Wisp is wisp is a wisp. Same model (or lack thereof) as the WC3 Night Elf worker. Also, one syllable > two. Io may be shorter to type out, but eh.

Haunted

Btw I asked about a week ago and didn't get an answer:

Tips for playing Undying?

I just don't get him - he doesn't gel very well with me. No disable so he can't really solo kill ever. Laning he's pretty good at zoning, but that's mostly just annoying. Maybe worse against a melee (STR particularly) carry. Team fights he's kind of mediocre too unless it's in a choke. One of the better situations is sieging an outer tower putting up a tombstone underneath it to dissuade people from engaging, but that doesn't really work on T3s.

And of course he's stronger in a tri vs tri situation, but that's been rare for awhile and only going to be seen less going forward with the current state of the game. Sort of like a shittier Visage in that respect. Feels like one if the weakest heroes in the pool right now. Hard to take advantage of him early in the current meta-game and he has one of the worst late game falloffs (bottom 10 for sure).
I love Undying, he's amazing as an offlaner because everyone keeps underestimating him. Set things up with decay, drop the tombstone when full creep waves clash and start going ham on people. They think decay is harmless, the zombies are just "annoying" and one easily kited melee support/offlaner won't hit that hard anyway.

they are WRONG

He's surprisingly resilient and can really catch people off-guard with the decay-tombstone-right click combo. He's a bit like an Elder Titan lite in that regard. I've stomped trilanes with Undying. And I'm bad. So if I can do it, there must be something to the hero. :D Get some kills on the board, rush that early mek and your contribution to the team is already significant.

That said, I totally agree that he falls off extremely hard. Even if the laning stage goes well, I haven't gotten him to a really convincing mid-late game yet. Your best bet is to own the lane and help the other players on your team snowball on your early contributions.

Wisp/io is still wisp though...
Just as mirana is still potm etc.

I think people call furion furion, because it's the most reasonable thing to do if you don't want to call him by his abbreviation.

It has to do with what the game portrait literally calls him. I get Mirana is still potm, but right off the bat you wouldn't know what that is without reading lore or something on the internet.

At the end of the day it's such a small deal anyway. It's just a few hero names, less than ten or so, and you're already learning so much stuff it's not that crazy to just remember that furion is Nature's Prophet.

Karakand

get off your pogo stick

io is only relatd to greek mythology by name and nothing more

about as clever as calling my dog hercules

I don't recall claiming otherwise? (I can see how you thought this was implied.)

But since you brought it up...

The hero has a skill where spherical objects orbit its form... like a planet and its moons!

The hero has a skill where it tethers itself to another entity... like Io was in Ovid! (Bonus round, she was literally tied up every night while a cow.)

e: Also, your dog could be REALLY big, or capture Erymanthian boars.

Haunted

Pflax is a great addition to the Dream League cast. Bruno's draft software is also good. I love this production so far.

i know most of the popular heroes by there dota 1 names because that's what everyone uses in game.
Someone called drow by her lore name in a game and I let him know that I had no fucking clue what he was talking about. No one fucking calls her Traxex, c'mon. :p (I just looked it up for this post btw)

I think furion, potm and wisp are pretty much the only heroes I regularly hear referred to by their Dota 1 names. Naix sometimes as well. Oh, and also Outworld Devourer because people forget what he's called and switch out between variations of Obsidian Destroyer, Outworld Destroyer and Obsidian Devourer, even in professional casts. :lol

Karakand

Someone called drow by her lore name in a game and I let him know that I had no fucking clue what he was talking about. No one fucking calls her Traxex, c'mon. :p (I just looked it up for this post btw)

I once played with someone who just called her Trax, which is the word some of my stack uses for catchy music. Needless to say it was p. confusing.

LiQuid! calls Lone Druid Sylla and I'm always thinking of a way to make a Charybdis joke in response. One day...

Boken

Banned
I don't recall claiming otherwise? (I can see how you thought this was implied.)

But since you brought it up...

The hero has a skill where spherical objects orbit its form... like a planet and its moons!

The hero has a skill where it tethers itself to another entity... like Io was in Ovid! (Bonus round, she was literally tied up every night while a cow.)

e: Also, your dog could be REALLY big, or capture Erymanthian boars.
he also wrassles lions
so...no test client patch, eh?
time to play a game where the developers actually care :)

Well OD has always been OD, even if the actual words change :p

And yeah, no one seriously calls Drow Traxex - that's just being obnoxious because you can.

Naix makes sense because it's shorter and one syllable. Much faster than saying or typing out Lifestealer, and just "ls" is a bit ambiguous.

There's some other cases I can't think of off the top of my head but just responding to the mentioned ones.

And with Nature's Prophet - I'll call him Prophet just as much as I say Furion, but just "Prophet" is less clear since we have Death Prophet as well.

This conversation comes up at least once a month though. If you play long enough you'll learn all the names and abbreviations and you won't really care. It's superficial anyway.

time to play a game where the developers actually care :)

1v1 me Hearthstone bro

shira

I need these guys to make me one with riki shadowblade and furion boots of travel. Wood tier is worst tier.

KingKong

Wow Valve pushed out a REALLY late update at 9pm cst. There was a blog post about it and they even thanked a redditor for an idea!

They must really care about CS GO

Skab

What if the reason Valve has been so quiet on the Dota 2 front is because they got sick of us bitching about LC taking so long and decided to say fuck it and are actually brewing up some crazy 5 hero patch shit that's going to blow our minds?

Nope.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
What if the reason Valve has been so quiet on the Dota 2 front is because they got sick of us bitching about LC taking so long and decided to say fuck it and are actually brewing up some crazy 5 hero patch shit that's going to blow our minds?

Nope.

Pretty clear at this point that the next major thing will be a multi-hero patch. The question is how long it'll take to arrive.

dmshaposv

Fuck your anti-mage sets. As if this hero needed more sets...

Where the fuck are all the luna sets? The best carry in the game doesn't get anything? why valve?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Yeah, that's really something I'd like to see more of at TI4. Casters currently tend to use so much jargon, nicknames, and inside jokes and I think they really ought to cut down on that stuff somewhat. Certainly they can't be explaining the rules of the game constantly but I think it would go a long way to making it more professional as well as digestible to people who don't watch this stuff all the time.

And they could probably use a really good video briefing of the rules and objectives that they play at the start of each day or something.

I mean you could say this about any sport/announcer. People from Saudi Arabia are going to have no fucking clue what the football announcer is saying--he's pandering to NFL fans, not Chinese tourists. Yeah it's cool to explain some things and go into detail for newbies, but cutting the "jargon, nicknames, and inside jokes" is completely unnecessary--it's what made the TI3 panel so entertaining, it's usually what makes any community cast entertaining beyond the play by plays. Us nerds and old school dota fans love that shit and are probably the majority of people watching a stream/cast anyway.

boken 1v1 me hearthstone i need to level classes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom