• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.

bzm

Talked it over with 109 and milk, tournament is going to be on the weekend of the 23rd-24th. Ill leave registration open till the end of next weekend and post match times after that. Shooting for starting at 11am mountain on Saturday (unless the euros have serious objections to this). Sunday I'll schedule around mlg so don't worry about that.

Hylian7

Talked it over with 109 and milk, tournament is going to be on the weekend of the 23rd-24th. Ill leave registration open till the end of next weekend and post match times after that. Shooting for starting at 11am mountain on Saturday (unless the euros have serious objections to this). Sunday I'll schedule around mlg so don't worry about that.

845214279fb7284.gif

G.ZZZ

Who in the world use Mountain time zone lmao.

I was talking with SamVines and we'll probably ask if we can play at 13 am because 11 (19 cest) is a bit annoying since people eat and you can't pause for dinner.

Shinypogs

Do new heroes generally get added directly to CM once they are done or does valve usually wait a bit to observe how they effect things with the general population?

Hayvic

http://dotabuff.com/matches/377678590

I share this with you in frustration and shame - this game is the worst game of Dota ever played. I don't know what went wrong - we had them about 35 minutes in - we just need one good push in the middle, and then spent an hour clowning around like this was a three ring circus.

I don't know if anyone actually watches match replays when they are posted - but this is either the best comeback ever or the worst game of Dota 5 people could ever play together.

I take my fair share of blame - i had so many items I often forgot to use them, but by god my team was comprised of people undergoing live lobotomies or something.

You guys lost an 85 minutes game with PL, NP and Doom? How???? *Looks at PL's and Doom's items...Oh

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
http://dotabuff.com/matches/377678590

I share this with you in frustration and shame - this game is the worst game of Dota ever played. I don't know what went wrong - we had them about 35 minutes in - we just need one good push in the middle, and then spent an hour clowning around like this was a three ring circus.

I don't know if anyone actually watches match replays when they are posted - but this is either the best comeback ever or the worst game of Dota 5 people could ever play together.

I take my fair share of blame - i had so many items I often forgot to use them, but by god my team was comprised of people undergoing live lobotomies or something.

What the hell was your Lancer building?

domstah

What the hell was your Lancer building?

Who knows ... He went AFK for 10 minutes at the Dire Secret Shop, got an abandon and start playing again - he ever faked out the enemy teams with his phantoms a couple of times and made them waste their ultis.

It was such a soul destroying game I don't know if I ever want to play DotA again.

You guys lost an 85 minutes game with PL, NP and Doom? How???? *Looks at PL's and Doom's items...Oh

I was wondering how Doom only had 240 gpm in an 85 minute game when he should get half that from devour alone, then I looked at the skill builds and he skipped it altogether.

shira

Hey, yeah. Started it.

As for the green, oroboros was shooting for something to match the SF redesign that was hinted at, more of a 'inspired by' piece than a hero HUD. I know there's some changes/fixes coming for it and I'll suggest to dim the value of the green perhaps if it's getting distracting, though afaik he is sticking with green in general.

Thanks dudes. I'm in line to try heroes of the swarm again. Gonna try arthas this time...

Mods, he need a Redmoon tag then. Need to pimp your brand

Aaron

It was such a soul destroying game I don't know if I ever want to play DotA again.
That's not bad. In my last game, the enemy Bristle triple killed our lifestealer, sandking, and some other hero by himself before the ten minute mark. I was busy holding off two enemy heroes at the time so I could only watch my team's blips go out one by one.

Anteo

Who knows ... He went AFK for 10 minutes at the Dire Secret Shop, got an abandon and start playing again - he ever faked out the enemy teams with his phantoms a couple of times and made them waste their ultis.

This is the moment where you decide to either drop the game and never look back, or play for 5 more years. I made the right decision 5 years ago, what are you going to do?

In other news, I wish I had time to play tonight

The Technomancer

It looks like he kept changing his mind. Like he bought a Ogre Club for a BKB or something but then switched to a Perseverance for a Linkens but then switched to Amulet for....I don't know, Shadow Blade and then was finally trying to make Radiance?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
How many rounds would be played on Saturday, or is there no easy way to tell. Trying to think if I would be better off requesting the day or the evening off work. Maybe the evening would be best.

If you are working around mlg, what time would Sundays games start?

bzm

How many rounds would be played on Saturday, or is there no easy way to tell. Trying to think if I would be better off requesting the day or the evening off work. Maybe the evening would be best.

If you are working around mlg, what time would Sundays games start?

Depends on how many more teams sign up. I know of at least a few that haven't been able to get it all together yet so I expect some more to show up. I'd like to get the majority of it done on saturday though, and maybe just do finals or semis and finals on sunday.
MLG semis start at 11am (eastern?) on sunday. So, probably sometime in the evening of sunday.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Maybe ill just see if I can get Saturday off outright so I can catch the full on hype.

Also, what is the policy on standins?

bzm

Maybe ill just see if I can get Saturday off outright so I can catch the full on hype.

Also, what is the policy on standins?

We haven't discussed it in detail but right now its pretty much any midtier gaffer can be a standin for any of the teams if need be.

belvey

The left click stopped working, which makes playing dota and browsing the web really awkward, so I had to replace it.

Sensei feels pretty damn good, my only gripe is that sometimes I accidentally hit the buttons on the right side. I opted for the rubber one and it feels nice and sturdy.

good sir i had the very same thing. broken deathadder, replaced with sensei, accidentally page up and down semi-frequently.

Dahbomb

What's the format? BO3 with loser's bracket?

Dahbomb

Pretty likely gonna be single elim. If we have a bunch more teams then we do now I'll prolly do the first round bo1 then bo3 after that. Not sure yet.
Nah man you gotta do at least BO3. Would suck to enter it and lose your first game then get knocked out!

bzm

The prize is still to play against BZM's team right? I want to epic clash of dreams v gofu.
I don't think that's a very good prize. Or even a prize at all.

edit: wait is there gofu v dreams drama im not aware of?
Nah man you gotta do at least BO3. Would suck to enter it and lose your first game then get knocked out!
If we can find the time to do it, I'd love to. We'll see.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Unfortunately the tournament has been scheduled on the day I move to my new apartment, so I will have to bow out. Hope everybody enjoys it and I at least get a chance to watch some. Hopefully another comes along down the road.

Just started the game this week, and it seems like all the rumors about it were correct. It's full of russians and ragers but it's extremely addicting. I've been playing Sven because his stun is so fun, but had a lot of trouble early on because the top-ranked builds were built for burst damage and I don't know how good they are in public games. Instead of getting the mask of madness and that lifedrain armlet I went midas, treads or arcane boots, urn, and BKB, and have been having a lot more success.

How does the matchmaking for this game work? I haven't encountered anyone particularly skilled, and if someone disconnects the game is pretty much decided.

Also, I got a chest, do keys drop in matches or are they only available in the store?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Keys are only on the store. Match making simply tries to find people that it thinks are on the same level as you. Every one always prioritizes different things, so people tend to think every one else just sucks.

Just started the game this week, and it seems like all the rumors about it were correct. It's full of russians and ragers but it's extremely addicting. I've been playing Sven because his stun is so fun, but had a lot of trouble early on because the top-ranked builds were built for burst damage and I don't know how good they are in public games. Instead of getting the mask of madness and that lifedrain armlet I went midas, treads or arcane boots, urn, and BKB, and have been having a lot more success.

How does the matchmaking for this game work? I haven't encountered anyone particularly skilled, and if someone disconnects the game is pretty much decided.

Also, I got a chest, do keys drop in matches or are they only available in the store?

Russians and disconnects become less of a problem the more you play. You will know you are progressing in skill when you start getting matched up with a bunch of Brazilians instead of Russians. Later less of both.

Dahbomb

Matchmaking is solid, if you solo queue you will always be around 50% winrate which is what a good MM should be doing. Problem is that the MM is very streaky.... you will get a bunch of wins against teams that don't know what they are doing and then you will get a streak of teams who are stacked up and obliterate your team.

In pubs for Sven BKB plus lots of damage/attack speed gets you by well enough. MoM and Armlet are hard to manage when you are starting out because they come with side effects (MoM makes you take more damage and Armlet drains health). You can probably still make Treads, BKB, Daedalus, Helm of the Dominator/Vlads and Assault Cuirass.

Russians and disconnects become less of a problem the more you play. You will know you are progressing in skill when you start getting matched up with a bunch of Brazilians instead of Russians. Later less of both.
oh, good to know. It's not as in my face about it as Starcraft so I wasn't aware of how the ladder worked.
Matchmaking is solid, if you solo queue you will always be around 50% winrate which is what a good MM should be doing. Problem is that the MM is very streaky.... you will get a bunch of wins against teams that don't know what they are doing and then you will get a streak of teams who are stacked up and obliterate your team.

In pubs for Sven BKB plus lots of damage/attack speed gets you by well enough. MoM and Armlet are hard to manage when you are starting out because they come with side effects (MoM makes you take more damage and Armlet drains health). You can probably still make Treads, BKB, Daedalus, Helm of the Dominator/Vlads and Assault Cuirass.

I had a lot of bad luck with that hard sven build in the 10 limited training matches (only 2 wins) but I'm 4-0 since so I guess it'll rank me up against non-noobs if I keep winning.

I think the biggest change that I needed to make from the carry build I used the first couple of matches was to put points into stats early, and make sure I always have a lot of mana. The stun and the ulti are really good, but it seems the other two skills don't become that useful til I can already do a lot of damage. I usually get the daedalus after BKB but I have a hard time knowing what to get after that. I've gotten assault cuirass most of the time but I'm completely stumped on what to get on top of that, especially now that I'm raking in tons of gold.

Dahbomb

After you get damage/attack speed you just want to get some tanky items. AC and Heart make you really hard to kill. You can even go for an Abyssal Blade if you want for bashing. As far as item choice goes you really need to feel out the game to figure out what you need. Against armor minus strats you want to go for an early AC. If going against an agility carry who is likely to make Butterfly you have to go Monkey King Bar.

Sven has big mana issues for sure. The speed/armor boost spell he has is actually very good, don't underestimate it when it comes to chasing, running away or surviving a team fight. Some people like to go early stats with Sven so that they can throw his hammer more and that's fine.

JambiBum

I don't think that's a very good prize. Or even a prize at all.

edit: wait is there gofu v dreams drama im not aware of?

If we can find the time to do it, I'd love to. We'll see.
MLG is the entire weekend of the 22-24. My team is going to it. We won't be able to play that weekend if that's the case.

Just had a game where there was a sniper on our team that went 0/20/2, the game started off with him giving first blood to a drow 20 seconds before the match even started, and then he proceeded to die again to a tower while running ahead of the first creep wave. Needless to say we lost the game (I went 8/9/2 by the end I think) but I don't know if the dude was doing it intentionally.

He even ran off to die to the enemy middle tower while all the enemy heroes were taking our racks.

Dahbomb

Just had a game where there was a sniper on our team that went 0/20/2, the game started off with him giving first blood to a drow 20 seconds before the match even started, and then he proceeded to die again to a tower while running ahead of the first creep wave. Needless to say we lost the game (I went 8/9/2 by the end I think) but I don't know if the dude was doing it intentionally.

He even ran off to die to the enemy middle tower while all the enemy heroes were taking our racks.
You report that behavior under "Intentional feeding".

sephi22

Sniper players are the Ken players of SFIV in 2009.
Whenever someone instapicks Sniper in AP, I die a little inside.
My Steam name is 'Dont.Fucking.Pick.Sniper' for a reason. Its bad enough that this character has a lot of weaknesses, but its worse because he appeals to idiotic mouthbreathers unlike any other hero I've seen.

Why Valve chose to make him the second tutorial character is beyond me. Half the Sniper players are newbies who think they can 360 Noscope headshot in Dota and own but end up feeding

The Technomancer

Sniper players are the Ken players of SFIV in 2009.
Whenever someone instapicks Sniper in AP, I die a little inside.
My Steam name is 'Dont.Fucking.Pick.Sniper' for a reason. Its bad enough that this character has a lot of weaknesses, but its worse because he appeals to idiotic mouthbreathers unlike any other hero I've seen.

Riki

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom