• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
No you search by password. kkk

1. click find a lobby
2. private lobbies
3. enter password: neogaf

Ya need fast fingers do
ibe8vGMgAeFLED.png

Oooh.

Thanks.

KingKong

Is it just me or is death prophets ult way too good now? It does so much damage, pushes and heals her at the end. Not to mention shes spamming her low cd nuke and silence at the same time

shira

Just had a game where there was a sniper on our team that went 0/20/2, the game started off with him giving first blood to a drow 20 seconds before the match even started, and then he proceeded to die again to a tower while running ahead of the first creep wave. Needless to say we lost the game (I went 8/9/2 by the end I think) but I don't know if the dude was doing it intentionally.

He even ran off to die to the enemy middle tower while all the enemy heroes were taking our racks.

Wooo Shira Award winner. Nice.

aaand it's dead

solo queue time

T.T
I thought they were all running support Sniper from the tutorial.

I has not seen a arcane sniper, they usually go phase

You report that behavior under "Intentional feeding".
I feel bad for reporting someone when they just don't know how the game works, I guess "intentional" is sort of subjective here. Can you report someone after a match? I'd probably want to look at their profile first. It's not cut and dry like verbal abuse.
Sniper players are the Ken players of SFIV in 2009.
Whenever someone instapicks Sniper in AP, I die a little inside.
My Steam name is 'Dont.Fucking.Pick.Sniper' for a reason. Its bad enough that this character has a lot of weaknesses, but its worse because he appeals to idiotic mouthbreathers unlike any other hero I've seen.

Why Valve chose to make him the second tutorial character is beyond me. Half the Sniper players are newbies who think they can 360 Noscope headshot in Dota and own but end up feeding

I think it's pretty safe to say this dude would've went 0-20 no matter which hero he picked. I thought all the heroes in the Limited pool are pretty straightforward?

Silly question I guess, but Is there any truth that there are accounts that are immune from being reported?

I'm watching a twitch stream of some dude and he reported someone for no apparent reason, and the dude who was getting reported found out and said he was going to counter report him (I assume for verbal abuse, since the guy streaming was a bit of a douche), and he said that he was immune from reporting, both typing it in the dota chat as well as to the twitch channel verbally.

I assume he was kidding, but just so we're clear, there aren't certain casters/players who get a free pass from being reported, are there?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I don't get Storm Spirit. I get that he's supposed to be high burst damage but he only seems to be effective if you're not trying to kill someone with a reliable stun or well, anything that can screw with the combo

Dahbomb

I think it's pretty safe to say this dude would've went 0-20 no matter which hero he picked. I thought all the heroes in the Limited pool are pretty straightforward?
Sniper is one of the easiest heroes to "learn" but one of the hardest to master. That is to say his skill set is very easy... he has an instant last hit animation, he has 2 passives, one active skill that you don't use that much and an ultimate that is really mostly used for kill "securing". So most of your time is spent right clicking on units.

The difficulty that new players have with Sniper is that your positioning and awareness has to be impeccable. You have to leverage his range to its maximum otherwise you are food for the other team. He's like top 5 easier heroes to kill... no escape mechanism, no hard disable, low health pool and slow movement speed.

shira

Silly question I guess, but Is there any truth that there are accounts that are immune from being reported?

I'm watching a twitch stream of some dude and he reported someone for no apparent reason, and the dude who was getting reported found out and said he was going to counter report him (I assume for verbal abuse, since the guy streaming was a bit of a douche), and he said that he was immune from reporting, both typing it in the dota chat as well as to the twitch channel verbally.

I assume he was kidding, but just so we're clear, there aren't certain casters/players who get a free pass from being reported, are there?

Valve employees

well, sure.

I don't know if they were legit valve employees but every once in a while someone will pull the I'm a valve employee card and things go silent.

KevinRo

I just had one of those don't surrender until it's over games as dazzle. Couldn't do shit and was feeding early but I ended up doing some clutch plays and helped out team come back down 2 racks. Feelsgood

Sniper is one of the easiest heroes to "learn" but one of the hardest to master. That is to say his skill set is very easy... he has an instant last hit animation, he has 2 passives, one active skill that you don't use that much and an ultimate that is really mostly used for kill "securing". So most of your time is spent right clicking on units.

The difficulty that new players have with Sniper is that your positioning and awareness has to be impeccable. You have to leverage his range to its maximum otherwise you are food for the other team. He's like top 5 easier heroes to kill... no escape mechanism, no hard disable, low health pool and slow movement speed.

So he actually is the SF4 Ken of Dota

Is there a version of him that has more utility overall and another version that's just overwhelmingly cheap? Just to complete the analogy.

And how exactly does BKB work? It just prevents you from getting stunned or otherwise locked down?

The Technomancer

Is there a version of him that has more utility overall and another version that's just overwhelmingly cheap? Just to complete the analogy.

And how exactly does BKB work? It just prevents you from getting stunned or otherwise locked down?

It makes you immune to magic effects

...except the magic effects that go through magic immunity. Although there aren't many of those and you learn them pretty quickly

Diagonal lines are stupidly hard to accomplish in zBrush, but I guess that's what happens when there's no tris.

agghhskajdlsfhl

Still pushing forward with my ES totem, but getting things just right is annoying.

Kind of frustrating since I have some other ideas kicking around, sketched out, but I really want to finish one thing and have it under my belt before moving on to different projects. Having a bunch of half-finished things isn't any good.

Valve employees

I don't know if they were legit valve employees but every once in a while someone will pull the I'm a valve employee card and things go silent.

Well, I doubt this guy was an employee (I forgot his name but he lived in EU and didn't really give that impression that he worked with with valve (his ingame name had profanity in it for one thing), otherwise this would be Riot-levels of abuse. still, it's good to know that certain people don't get a free ride when it comes to being reported.

shira

But it has no effect on magical damage, right?
Yes and no, there are exceptions
http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Magic_immunity

Diagonal lines are stupidly hard to accomplish in zBrush, but I guess that's what happens when there's no tris.

agghhskajdlsfhl

Still pushing forward with my ES totem, but getting things just right is annoying.

Kind of frustrating since I have some other ideas kicking around, sketched out, but I really want to finish one thing and have it under my belt before moving on to different projects. Having a bunch of half-finished things isn't any good.
I'm thinking of starting a Dota Hat Making thread - wanna join me?

Dahbomb

Ken is actually decent in SF4, Sniper is low tier trash in DOTA only good for pub stomping.

Yeah there are other heroes like Sniper in that there are other ranged agility carries. However no one has the range that Sniper has... it's unique to the hero.

BKB prevents you taking damage from spells or being locked down from spells like stuns. There are some exceptions in that there are spells that can go through magic immunity (the list of spells needs to be memorized unfortunately). For the most part it protects you against spell completely you just have to use it in a team fight properly before they stun lock you. If you are silenced and you turn on BKB you remove the silence.

Yes and no, there are exceptions
http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Magic_immunity

I'm thinking of starting a Dota Hat Making thread - wanna join me?

Oh nevermind, I just looked up Death Prophet's ult and it does physical damage. I thought I'd be able to take out their super-farmed Death Prophet by BKB-ing, stunning, and throwing everything I had, but I still died very quickly.

What's a good way to not constantly get harassed as a melee hero early on in the lane? I usually do very poorly when I have to lane against two ranged heroes (damn you viper). Is Tango-ing constantly the only way?

What's a good way to not constantly get harassed as a melee hero early on in the lane? I usually do very poorly when I have to lane against two ranged heroes (damn you viper). Is Tango-ing constantly the only way?

Buy a stout shield and make sure to have a ranged hero or a healer in lane with you.

sixghost

Stout shield helps, poor man's shield really helps if you are an agility hero. Ideally you just wouldn't put yourself in that spot, but in random pubs there's not much you can do sometimes. You just need to spend as little time as possible in their range. Dip in to get the last hit, then out immediately. Call for a gank if there's nothing you can do.

Yes, it's very hard to lane as a melee hero against ranged. Stout shield helps, and yes, tangos, salves, and regen items too. Try to rush the item parts that have regen your hero gets.

For example if you are antimager, get the ring of health (part of the Battlefury he usually gets) as soon as you can.

Edit: Beaten like rented donkey courier

The Technomancer

If all else fails, make sure your team knows you aren't getting farm (and hope they're nice about it) and try and soak exp until the teamfitghts start

Nirvana

Adding Lina, Nature's Prophet, and cementing Sand King on my "heroes I don't enjoy playing" list. Lina just feels like Lion except mana starved and her stun is way harder to land. NP is just boring. And I can't put my finger on why I don't like playing SK but I just don't.

All of those heroes (basically like all heroes in Dota) are fun in their own way. Lina and Sand King are both high-impact supports and can get a lot done in the early game, which is why they are generally more fun than say, a Crystal Maiden or Disruptor for a lot of people. Lina can blow single targets up instantly with her combo and Sand King can basically single-handedly win teamfights, especially once his blink dagger is online. Once you learn the shift-blink Sand King ultimate, you can really make a massive impact on the outcome of games.

Nature's Prophet can be boring if you play him as a pure farming jungle hero, which most seem to. You can take lots of different paths with the hero though. Midas is generally a good idea, especially if they have a late game carry to worry about, but you don't have to follow the standard shadowblade into DPS build. You can rush a mek and support your team early, you can get a dagon and play an early ganking role, but most importantly, don't just afk farm and leave your teammates to 4v5 for the whole early game. The best way I've found to play him is to save your ultimate in the early-mid game for teamfights or ganks and try and maintain a global presence as early as possible. You can show up to mid and help push the tower if the enemy mid is ganking, or support mid or another lane if they are struggling, you can really get a lot accomplished if you just come out of the jungle every once in a while; makes for a more effective teammate and a much more fun game for you as well.

Dahbomb

Oh nevermind, I just looked up Death Prophet's ult and it does physical damage. I thought I'd be able to take out their super-farmed Death Prophet by BKB-ing, stunning, and throwing everything I had, but I still died very quickly.

There's a way to aggro the creeps to you so that the positioning is favorable for you. You right click on the hero near a creep and then immediately go back. This will aggro the creeps towards you so that the creeps are closer to you.

You definitely need a stout shield and you never want to be in a 1v2 situation unless its an offlane. Offlane heroes can generally get EXP safely against tough lanes like Windrunner who not only has an escape mechanism if things get rough she has a Powershot which allows her to take last hits from a distance (at the cost of mana so you have to be very careful). Generally speaking offlane play is tough in pubs if you don't know what you are doing so try to at least go in a dual lane that consists of one melee and one range. Two melee lane is generally a bad idea.

Against a Death Prophet in that situation you just make Blade Mail. One the spirits are locked on to you and you turn on Blade Mail she will take full damage and die before you do. Otherwise just bulk up on armor against that ulti.

shira

Maybe? There are quite a few GAF members that make (or aspire to make) items. And people who find the process fascinating even if they can't or don't have interest in trying themselves.

Anuxi made a great one on polycount so I'll copypasta most of that.

Please do. And compile a bunch of tips and tutorials. I keep telling myself I will have a go and try but I'm scared and not good enough at 3D yet.

A thread might make me kick myself in gear!

The Polycount one is for people who have some sort of comprehension or have used some software(WTF is retopo). I want to make one like dirt noob, can barely open MS-Paint type dealie, but one of the huge barriers to entry is translating how to do X from program to program. Blender is free, but who actually has the fundage to buy Photoshop, 3DS, Maya etc aside from a digital artist. So I can see how it is soooo confusing.

sixghost

There's a way to aggro the creeps to you so that the positioning is favorable for you. You right click on the hero near a creep and then immediately go back. This will aggro the creeps towards you so that the creeps are closer to you.

I wouldn't do this. Agroing the creeps like that causes them to take free hits from your creeps while not doing any damage themselves. You'll cause your lane to push when you do this, making the situation even worse. It's really important to keep the creep wave as close to your tower, but not actually in range, as possible.

Thanks guys, this is really helpful.

Should I just get a stout shield by default if I know I'm up against ranged harass types in my lane, or should I wait and see if it becomes a problem?

Also, am I using the magic wand/stick correctly? The health/mana recovery always seems minuscule, even with a lot of charges. It is cheap I suppose.

Dahbomb

I wouldn't do this. Agroing the creeps like that causes them to take free hits from your creeps while not doing any damage themselves. You'll cause your lane to push when you do this, making the situation even worse. It's really important to keep the creep wave as close to your tower, but not actually in range, as possible.
Of course, you shouldn't be doing it all the time but in certain situations it can help take some pressure off/get you some much needed last hits.

On the note of wands, the recovery is more when you have more charges on it. At 15 charges the heal is substantial at low levels. The point of that item is that it gives you instant health and mana. So if you are in a team fight and you just don't have the mana for your crucial spell, pop a ward and you might just be able to land the killing blow/escape. It's probably the best item in the game.

The Technomancer

Thanks guys, this is really helpful.

Should I just get a stout shield by default if I know I'm up against ranged harass types in my lane, or should I wait and see if it becomes a problem?

Also, am I using the magic wand/stick correctly? The health/mana recovery always seems minuscule, even with a lot of charges. It is cheap I suppose.

Don't use the wand frequently. Save it for basically two situations:
a.)you just don't have enough mana for a spell that will change the teamfight. pop the wand

b.)You're about to die in a fight and/or you're running away and very close to death. pop the wand.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Magic Stick is, for the price, definitely the best item in the game. It probably seems boring to newer players, but it'll save your butt.

Yeah. I almost always grab a stout at the beginning of the game if I'm melee, even if I might not be up against a ranged. Better safe than sorry. There are some exceptions (melee supports, obviously, and some mid melee who are rushing bottle), but for the most part, grab a stout. It mitigates so much early on.

shira

Of course, you shouldn't be doing it all the time but in certain situations it can help take some pressure off/get you some much needed last hits.

On the note of wands, the recovery is more when you have more charges on it. At 15 charges the heal is substantial at low levels. The point of that item is that it gives you instant health and mana. So if you are in a team fight and you just don't have the mana for your crucial spell, pop a ward and you might just be able to land the killing blow/escape. It's probably the best item in the game.

Don't use the wand frequently. Save it for basically two situations:
a.)you just don't have enough mana for a spell that will change the teamfight. pop the wand

b.)You're about to die in a fight and/or you're running away and very close to death. pop the wand.

Magic Stick is, for the price, definitely the best item in the game. It probably seems boring to newer players, but it'll save your butt.

Yeah. I almost always grab a stout at the beginning of the game if I'm melee, even if I might not be up against a ranged. Better safe than sorry. There are some exceptions (melee supports, obviously, and some mid melee who are rushing bottle), but for the most part, grab a stout. It mitigates so much early on.

I disagree. If you are in organized games where tryhards are mental mathing their damage for kills maybe, but in pubs everything is about overkill for killsecure, which is why Abaddon rules the shit tier. Oh he's dying - better use all our nukes on him. Awwwwwwwwwwww

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
But I'm in the cardboard tier and it saves me all the time lol. Even just having some extra burst mana when a team fight suddenly breaks out is a big deal.

Shit's only 509 gold anyway. That's nothing, especially now.

Damn, The pinoy dota 1 casters right now are just as hype as the korean casters. I have no idea what the fuck i'm looking at but it's enjoyable!

http://www.twitch.tv/beyondthesummit
"PIZZA SHAKEYS DELIVERY"

"WELCOME TO WORLD WAR 3"

cough cough

Every time someone says this shit a little part of my brain rots

Stop

Telling

People

Not to play

A mode

They enjoy

They're not enjoying it because they complain about it all the time. If they like it, awesome. If they bitch about how they always get counterpicked and every team is five carries or there is always a bad pudge/meepo/riki/sniper/techies, I'm giving them the solution because they obviously don't know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom