• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.

shira

Do you guys only play against people that don't buy blink or something? My ideal Sniper build is Midas->Treads->Skadi and then a damage item (ideally crit, otherwise mom or mkb). Skadi makes you tanky enough that you're not gonna die instantly if they jump on you and it also makes it more difficult for the enemies to retreat or approach you. This philosophy of "no hp items because i have better range" just gets you killed over and over against decent opponents. Shadowblade is complete crap, you can't initiate with it and Sniper is not a particularly good split pusher so you're spending 3000 gold on some dps and a really bad escape.

LOL if I see a midas sniper, it will be constant harrasment.

Dahbomb

Do you guys only play against people that don't buy blink or something? My ideal Sniper build is Midas->Treads->Skadi and then a damage item (ideally crit, otherwise mom or mkb). Skadi makes you tanky enough that you're not gonna die instantly if they jump on you and it also makes it more difficult for the enemies to retreat or approach you. This philosophy of "no hp items because i have better range" just gets you killed over and over against decent opponents. Shadowblade is complete crap, you can't initiate with it and Sniper is not a particularly good split pusher so you're spending 3000 gold on some dps and a really bad escape.
Skadi is really fucking expensive and by the time you are on your way to getting a Skadi you aren't going to have great damage and you will still be food to Blinkers.

I honestly don't buy Shadowblade on Sniper, I was just recommending it to lower level players because SB wrecks at low level pubs. At higher level play I would rather just have fast movement speed and damage/attack speed with life steal starting out. I go for HP late game, usually have Skadi, Manta Style, BKB AND Satanic if it goes to that level.

Hylian7

Really? I thought the target was decided on the moment you start casting, not at the end, like tp scrolls.

Like I said, it's technically targeting the ground, and goes for the nearest Meepo to wherever you clicked. So if a Meepo were to suddenly say, Bljnk, right there, then it goes to that Meepo. That's why Blink Poofing works.

Most of those heroes aren't really counters at all. The best answer I can give you is to be smarter with your poofing and positioning, and remember that Meepo isn't an initiator and does NOT need to go in first. Let someone else take a bulk of the stuns unless you are completely loaded on reavers. For heroes like Sven, blink and net with your one Meepo and wait until he blows his stun before poofing everything else in. Then you can just microlord your low HP Meepos out.

The only hero I actively avoid picking Meepo into is Timbersaw because he shits out way too much damage and Meepo can't lock him down.

I think that's probably my problem, I try to be to aggressive with it. I have noticed my good Meepo games are usually only when I am stacked with people, as I can coordinate my early ganks with them well and not get myself murdered. I'm probably just trying to be way to aggressive and initiate when I should let someone else start it up and then go in with my nets/poofs.

SamVimes

Skadi is really fucking expensive and by the time you are on your way to getting a Skadi you aren't going to have great damage and you will still be food to Blinkers.

Honestly i thought it was crap, then i saw n0tail going for it all the time and when i tried it i noticed it actually works incredibly well.

Dahbomb

Nah Skadi is definitely very good for Sniper but its more late game than "first big item".

I might try out the new SnY on Sniper. It gives more movement speed now so I will have to see.

Wok

I have only started playing BloodSeeker after the patch 6.79 and the hero is pretty fun to play. Plus I get good winning rate with him for once.

LvYuhKh.png

The fact he runs so fast at nearly-dead heroes is a great part of the gameplay.

woodland

Figured i'd ask here to but for all Mac dota players (currently can't make a new windows partition until december 7th), does anyone else boot Dota up on Mac and the small Dota 2 icon appears on the dashboard, but nothing happens and it just instantly goes to "Not Responding"?

I used to have a windows partition I played on, but eventually it filled up and I couldn't update. I deleted and was going to make a new one but can't at the moment and realized that with Mavericks I should be able to play Dota 2. I updated to Mavericks today, allowed access to Steam on security, but now I get this. I don't even see the main screen for Dota, nothing opens, just the icon pops up on the dashboard next to chrome. Can anyone help?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Thanksgiving was last month.

I'm still betting its after MLG.

To write that blog post describing the update as being in final testing and not far away, then not release anything for 2 1/2 weeks would be a new level of Valve stupidity. I'm gonna be a little more optimistic than that.

(laugh at me later)

shira

To write that blog post describing the update as being in final testing and not far away, then not release anything for 2 1/2 weeks would be a new level of Valve stupidity. I'm gonna be a little more optimistic than that.

(laugh at me later)

I think the custom player sets go in before MLG - interesting its only players that are from MLG teams
- Alchemist - Alliance
- PA - Alliance
- Rubik - Kuroky
- Magina - Burning
- Kunkka - Singsing
edit: forgot Chen - Navi
It would be neat if MLG sponsored Diretide - that would make the delay make perfect sense. Why not throw some MLG tags on all the pumpkins or whatnot and throw in some battlebonuses and MLG ticket/packs as prizes instead of shitty commons.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I think the custom player sets go in before MLG - interesting its only players that are from MLG teams
- Alchemist - Alliance
- PA - Alliance
- Rubik - Kuroky
- Magina - Burning
- Kunkka - Singsing
It would be neat if MLG sponsored Diretide - that would make the delay make perfect sense. Why not throw some MLG tags on all the pumpkins or whatnot and throw in some battlebonuses and MLG ticket/packs as prizes instead of shitty commons.

I agree there definitely seemed to be a concerted effort to get player-commissioned cosmetic sets going up. Have been wondering what the plan was with that.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
- Alchemist - Alliance
- PA - Alliance
- Rubik - Kuroky
- Magina - Burning
- Kunkka - Singsing
I really doubt the sing sing set will get in as is, since I don't think valve will allow a sword designed to look like a dick.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Isn't the Beaver Knight like some HoN character?
There is a beaver who is a knight in HoN, but I don't think sing's set has anything to do with beavers outside of the name, so valve could just rename it.
That sword doesnt look like a dick at all. There is one line that might even be a hint.
The hilt is meant to look like a pair of balls, the thing was called Jesus penis when it first went up.

Maybe its easier to see in the first shot of the sword:
SU9MDe8.jpg

Zeth

I think my first NP games went pretty well considering we lost. I've spent spent several hours with him in bot matches but I've never had the balls to actually play. I split pushed like hell and showed up to most of the fights but my teammates occasionally fed 1vs4 in the latter half (and I made some serious mistakes as well). Looked like we had it won at one point even. I really felt like I contributed by pushing though, I quite enjoyed it. http://dotabuff.com/matches/381416794 Tell me if my items were dumb!

Gav47

There's no way Diretide will have the same level of cosmetic items drops this year, right? With all the items that can be sold on Steam community market it'd be like giving away money, unless they tag the items as "Diretide 2013" or something and make them unmarketable.

How much whinging will there be if there's no items?

ViviOggi

There's no way Diretide will have the same level of cosmetic items drops this year, right? With all the items that can be sold on Steam community market it'd be like giving away money, unless they tag the items as "Diretide 2013" or something and make them unmarketable.

How much whinging will there be if there's no items?

Well, they're also making money on every sale on the market, and the average player is unlikely to even get a single complete set from grinding Diretide. They might keep the drop rates just for experiment's sake, who knows.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
If they do have drops, I hope they do the 2 hour battle bonuses again. I really liked those, and would love to stock up. Also, there are a few more Greval colors I don't have.

So, it seems Demon has thrown so damn hard, Dignitas just dropped their Dota 2 team all together.

http://www.team-dignitas.net/articles/news/DotA-2/4205/Team-Dignitas-parts-ways-with-DotA-2/

Ok, I really don't know how much of this is because of Demon, it could very well be an issue with management. But poking fun at Demon is always enjoyable.

Update: Monolith will stay with our organisation to help us find a suitable new Dota2 team.

Just pick up some rando team, like power rangers or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom