• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
First diretide game ever was incredibly boring. Half the group wanted to just feed pudge for ever and the rest wanted to play. Just ended up being a huge cluster.

There should be a better way to get items so the game isn't entirely ruined by people who just want to farm. Reminds me of Gears of War when people wanted achievements and they'd line up to be killed by a certain weapon. BORING.
Don't worry, valve just patched they mode, maybe it will fix the issue of people not playing the first two rounds.

bounchfx

updates Dota's 720p multi-player into 1080p

but I hear it's really 900p.

I bought 5 ember chests, 4 earth ones. gonna get 1 more earth and 5 diretide chests when they're cheaper or I win some. I got an unusual azuremir, a bramblethorn, and some other neat singles. I also tried my hand at crafting. I like the cheap crafting for random items with the gemstones. The cursed one costed a bit because I needed the dark gem, but I got a neat kunkka helm. I don't understand what else is different besides adding the word 'cursed' though ?

BeesEight

My last few games have cemented the fact I believe this game needs a concede option of some kind. I've had game after game where things just went wrong, the other team got insanely far ahead and it just becomes a sit around and wait game. There's no chance to farm because even as a team you'd just get wiped. Obviously it would need to be very carefully implemented to avoid trolling and stuff but I was thinking of some possibilities.

I'm not sure what would make a game eligible for conceding, there would need to be specific criteria. But what if the option comes up, and it is anonymous, so unless you're with a 4 stack, they don't know who is and isn't conceding. So for example, the game is going terribly, a concede option pops up somewhere and then the rest of the team receives a notification saying a team member has opted for it, do they wish to concede?

I know I know, bah we don't need a concede. But I still think there's a way to put it in without it becoming a terrible thing.

You want a concede after two loses? With the second one being because you had a five core line-up with no stuns against an aoe deathball of sandking, qop, pugna and gyro? And even with a 15k gold deficit you still managed to take a couple of teamfights and defend the base for forty minutes?

I think before throwing our hands up in the air and declaring that concede is needed, there are other options to consider. Yes, your team was certainly in a huge deficit after twenty four minutes because no one seemed to realize their line-up is hugely dangerous in the mid game, you had zero meks, zero pipes and zero smoke ganks.

Maybe a more constructive use of time would be going back over those games and considering what could have been done differently to avoid that outcome. Last picking Slark when you already had an Axe, Medusa, Drow and Obsidian Destroyer probably wasn't the greatest call. But even more, you can see where other problems arise. Clumping together against sandking and qop's ultimate won most fights and when you got the initiation on them you had a more favourable outcome. If you just concede after the first failed teamfight, you wouldn't find patterns of mistakes that can be corrected later.

And before the twenty four minute mark, even though you had half the kills their team did, you were still even on farm. Which, I can almost guarantee if concede were implemented, there would be votes for ending the game long before you ended with a 15k deficit.

There are way too many problems with concede for it to be worth it. Especially for fringe cases like this that even had windows of opportunity to turn things around.

Kard8p3

pumpkin chests going for $32
360fx360f

http://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/570/Ghastly Treasure of Diretide

ikYvD4Ft6zKlu.png

WTF?
$400 to see what this looks like

Got the recipe for him in like the second chest I opened, trying to get a cursed item now to make him lol.

First diretide game ever was incredibly boring. Half the group wanted to just feed pudge for ever and the rest wanted to play. Just ended up being a huge cluster.

There should be a better way to get items so the game isn't entirely ruined by people who just want to farm. Reminds me of Gears of War when people wanted achievements and they'd line up to be killed by a certain weapon. BORING.

but the community wanted it

Duesy

If 2 pro teams put their heads together they could probably beat it
edit: they nerfed pudge, yeah waste of time

Even if pudge wasn't nerfed, that IG group was some of the most well known Chinese players. It wasn't just IG and 5 randoms. That was 10 coordinated players.

shira

Got the recipe for him in like the second chest I opened, trying to get a cursed item now to make him lol.

No no this one is unusual aka unboxed, urs is just plain jane

Even if pudge wasn't nerfed, that IG group was some of the most well known Chinese players. It wasn't just IG and 5 randoms. That was 10 coordinated players.

IE DK and Alliance - sorry meant to say "very good pro teams"

Cranzor

What does everyone here think of the tutorial? I know pretty much nothing about the game and tried out some of the tutorial, and I'm still super confused about a lot of stuff. I guess most learning just comes from playing the game, but I'm too scared to play actual matches with people.

shira

What does everyone here think of the tutorial? I know pretty much nothing about the game and tried out some of the tutorial, and I'm still super confused about a lot of stuff. I guess most learning just comes from playing the game, but I'm too scared to play actual matches with people.

The tutorials gives you the barebone basic mechanics, but most of us here played previous versions of Dota so yeah it is best to have someone "good" teach you how to play. If you can't really find someone to do that you are looking at a hundred-thousand hour learning curve. Make no mistake this is the hardest hardcore game atm.

The thread OP is a great place to start, find similar level people on reddit/giantbomb/neogaf/ign guilds/messageboards or someone willing to coach. It is pretty rewarding if you "get it" or this scratches your "endorphin release" gaming zone. You should know pretty soon wether you like it or not.

The new coaching feature may be helpful
949-dota2_ui_coach.png

NBtoaster

Opening a Gem Cache is guaranteed profit at the moment. The chest and the key is like $2.70 and the gems go for $1-10, and you always get 3 items from the chest.

Karakand

I think Diretide played correctly is pretty fun. However, it's the scramble for candy that makes it fun, and if people are doing the dumb "let's just farm" nonsense it suuuuuuucks.

I guess it's not as fun, but in colluded games you get to spend the entirety of the adversarial phase wondering who is going to break the truce and ruin it for everyone.

Then when they do, you can revel in the bitter disappointment of the schemers.

Kard8p3

Is it an unusual courier? You can't add an ethereal gem to a normal shagbark without the $500 artificer brand.

Nah, I had 2 of the new Bounty weapons, one had track kills, the other track gold, I wanted to have both of one weapon so I extracted the track gold one, but cant put it into the free slot.

Hylian7

How do you play against a phantom lancer? I know he's a good hero but what should I specifically aim for to counter him?
Bring dust and gank him early and often. Pressure their team especially when you have an advantage.

As for hero counters, Earthshaker is a big one, as well as other big AoE stuff to damage or hold down the real one.

One of my favorite counters to him is Meepo, but I would not recommend that if you can't play the hero. He is loaded with counters for him though as his nets prevent invisibility, so you can just toss them on the cluster of illusions and if the real one hasn't doppelwalked already, you got him for sure. Keep him netted and use all your Poofs to take care of him and the illusions, and you can beat on the real one with all the Meepos.

Exuro

That cyborgmatt post was the longest I've ever seen.

The small snippets of Holdout make me more antsy to try it out. Brand new items and some sort of building mechanic sounds great.

ElyrionX

Just tried Ember Spirit for the first time. Went QB, BFury, Phase, PMS, Daedelus. Almost completed second BF when we lost the game. Build feels a bit too squishy especially since our supports were not great and we had poor positioning in a lot of team fights. Searing Chain's small AOE and randomness makes it highly situational, I think. SoF is fantastic for teamfights if you can get enough damage. Flame Guard doesn't feel all that useful except for farming. Fire Remnant is hard to use well. I ended up using it as an escape mechanism most of the time instead of a distance closer. I think setting up the Remnants properly ahead of a teamfight is key to using the skill.

Kard8p3

Just tried Ember Spirit for the first time. Went QB, BFury, Phase, PMS, Daedelus. Almost completed second BF when we lost the game. Build feels a bit too squishy especially since our supports were not great and we had poor positioning in a lot of team fights. Searing Chain's small AOE and randomness makes it highly situational, I think. SoF is fantastic for teamfights if you can get enough damage. Flame Guard doesn't feel all that useful except for farming. Fire Remnant is hard to use well. I ended up using it as an escape mechanism most of the time instead of a distance closer. I think setting up the Remnants properly ahead of a teamfight is key to using the skill.

Remnants are what makes ES such a great mid. Need to refill bottle? Drop a remnant and run/tp to base, fill bottle, fly back. In a team fight and about to die but you have a TP? Drop a remnant, run off, tp home, fly back.

ElyrionX

I feel that he needs some form of HP at some point. BKB is the obvious choice but I guess SnY/Halberd/Heart could work too.

Yeah, the issue is that two and maybe three of his skills requires him to be right up in the thick of action and without some survivability items, he's really squishy. I'm thinking SnY after Bfury might work in games with few disables since he already has Flame Guard to absorb magic damage.

Remnants are what makes ES such a great mid. Need to refill bottle? Drop a remnant and run/tp to base, fill bottle, fly back. In a team fight and about to die but you have a TP? Drop a remnant, run off, tp home, fly back.

I know of this use though I forgot to use it during the game. I wasn't mid though. I went safe lane. Had a Lion who contested my last hits. Zzzzz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom