• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diretide is starting to break my spirit. I'm looking for ways to subtly sabotage both the game and the rosh fight and not get reported. Why do people think they're going for the rosh record every time they play the game with multinational pick up groups??

Or-work with me on this one- maybe they just find it fun to try to get as high as possible, even though they know they won't get the record?

traveler

Not Wario
Do Ember Spirit's Activate Remnant and Sleight of Fist cause rupture damage? I assume they would.

nooo spirits ;_;

Lina did all the work for that one.

Really? That's awesome. I was just thinking about how good that would be. Lots of possibilities.

Sleight of Fist does not and Remnants do not if you exceed the max range (1300?) on a jump. Haven't tested Remnants within the max range.

Or-work with me on this one- maybe they just find it fun to try to get as high as possible, even though they know they won't get the record?

This is certainly a fair point, but if you can't get the record- and, let's be honest, you're not getting the record- the base Diretide game is considerably more fun than afking for for over half the game and then running a build up against the Rosh wall to see how far you get. I hope Valve considers revamping the incentives structure for the next Diretide, assuming there is a next Diretide, so that teams are encouraged to compete the whole way through and that this conflict between playing the candy game and playing the Rosh game doesn't exist.

Dahbomb

Diretide is starting to break my spirit. I'm looking for ways to subtly sabotage both the game and the rosh fight and not get reported. Why do people think they're going for the rosh record every time they play the game with multinational pick up groups??
Doesn't the chance of getting better drops increase with each Roshan level?

I don't know much about Diretide but that is what I always believed. Its also pretty fun cooperating with like 9 other players to take down one big ass foe... it's epic in its own right.

I've had the exact opposite experience. Every has just been fucking around for the most part. Which is fine with me.

This is certainly a fair point, but if you can't get the record- and, let's be honest, you're not getting the record- the base Diretide game is considerably more fun than afking for for over half the game and then running a build up against the Rosh wall to see how far you get. I hope Valve considers revamping the incentives structure for the next Diretide, assuming there is a next Diretide, so that teams are encouraged to compete the whole way through and that this conflict between playing the candy game and playing the Rosh game doesn't exist.

People AFK in the candy stage? I haven't see it. I usually play both.

I agree there needs to be a separation between the modes, though, or at least a better integration. They really don't work together as-is.

Sibylus

Banned
Puck.png

The face of history's greatest monster.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I just unboxed 4 inscribed Hallowed Horde treants in a row. Should I keep going or are they worthless?

I've been trying to get one of those for a while now. like 5 chests opened today and all crap. :(

Calidor

anyone else has this annoying minimap bug where the enemy hero names are stuck there after they left being visible?

I use this settings:

altnotpressed.png

manfestival

is there any way to determine values with the current market?

i really dread the thought of spending money on a singular item

seems like a terrible idea. hate keys

also zeth give me one of those treants! I trade!

sephi22

I am loving that you can put 1-2 week old sets on the market. I can get all the sets I missed out for $1-$3 when they are still on the official store for $10+

domstah

by the way, regarding this market article

Purchasing digital cosmetics is a BAD BAD BAD investment! I called this shit!

Buying/trading for any other reason than you like the item/look/set is stupid. Speculating on arbitrary entries on a database is just not a wise way to invest your money - just look at the stock market! (oh wait ...)

Also stupid is people obsession with complete sets - sets make everyone look the same - mix it up peeps!

KingKong

I am loving that you can put 1-2 week old sets on the market. I can get all the sets I missed out for $1-$3 when they are still on the official store for $10+

huh I havent realized they've been doing that, crazy that even a set that was added in November can already be sold on the market. Why are they doing this?

by the way, regarding this market article

Purchasing digital cosmetics is a BAD BAD BAD investment! I called this shit!

they're not investments if you've paid $11,000. It's something you paid the max price for to collect said item.

To me, an investment is something you buy with the expectation that it will appreciate in value and you can resell at a later date for profit. You don't go buy an $11,000 (or a $38,000 item for that matter) with the expectation that you'll be able to sell it for more. You just wanted something nobody else had or will ever have. And no matter what happens in the market, that will still be true. Nobody in the world will have their courier with their effect and with that specific color. It's just that now we can all make designer imposter versions of those $38k couriers and be happy. LOL.

My courier/item purchases weren't investments either because I didn't pick them up planning to ever sell them. But they could be considered "good" investments because I got almost all of them for cheap < $100 and they've all quadrupled in value (even after the change) or more. Same with my stuff that ended up becoming Immortal. I just get stuff that I like, no more and no less.

Anyone else think they'll add Earth Spirit to CM when they add Ember (like in a month or two or sooner)?

With Dota 2 they don't seem shy on adding heroes to CM, as it seems with Dota (example: Medusa). There doesn't seem to be a reason not to add him, besides "he's too new." He seems relatively balanced and there aren't any major bugs or issues with his skills.

I just don't see Valve waiting years to add a perfectly fine hero to CM. It's not like he's Oracle or Zet or some broken hero. It seems it's waiting just for the sake or waiting and it's entirely pointless.

It'll especially be an issue when we reach parity. It's going to be hard to bring enthusiasm for a hero that won't see competitive play for 1-2 years... and I don't see that model working any more.

traveler

Not Wario
People AFK in the candy stage? I haven't see it. I usually play both.

I agree there needs to be a separation between the modes, though, or at least a better integration. They really don't work together as-is.

Not literally AFK, but if they're going for the record Rosh, the teams basically afk by having all but one player just right click the pumpkin while one person stays behind to dump candy back in as the other team knocks it out to ensure max gold gain. Hardly interesting. I'm not really sure why Valve thought putting competitive incentives in a game mode where you are supposed to compete in one half and cooperate in the other was a good idea, which is a shame because I really do enjoy the constant back and forth of the base ctf ripoff mode that is Diretide when people are truly playing it.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Buying/trading for any other reason than you like the item/look/set is stupid. Speculating on arbitrary entries on a database is just not a wise way to invest your money - just look at the stock market! (oh wait ...)

Also stupid is people obsession with complete sets - sets make everyone look the same - mix it up peeps!

With very few exceptions (my new CM mythical hairdo <3 ) I love the unified look a set gives. I blame the fact that I'm somewhere between moderately and severely OCD.

I really hope after the dust of this patch settles that it becomes reasonably affordable to make a good custom courier. I've come to grips with the fact that I'll never own a golden or platinum baby rosh, but if I can get a fun effect with a rich, dark purple color on a regular-ass baby Rosh, I'd find that sufficient.

sibarraz

Banned
What's the benefit of valve putting all items on the market? with the 15% they will win more money than selling them at their official store?

BeesEight

Fnatic really make it hard to be a fan with how they've been playing the last week

I'm burning my player cards as we speak. Think I'll invest in Team Liquid from here on out.

Not literally AFK, but if they're going for the record Rosh, the teams basically afk by having all but one player just right click the pumpkin while one person stays behind to dump candy back in as the other team knocks it out to ensure max gold gain. Hardly interesting. I'm not really sure why Valve thought putting competitive incentives in a game mode where you are supposed to compete in one half and cooperate in the other was a good idea, which is a shame because I really do enjoy the constant back and forth of the base ctf ripoff mode that is Diretide when people are truly playing it.

This doesn't actually do anything anymore. They changed that a few days ago. Now, you get like 9999 gold every second during Sugar Rush and the countdown doesn't begin until Rosh takes damage so there's plenty of time for people to buy whatever they want.

sephi22

huh I havent realized they've been doing that, crazy that even a set that was added in November can already be sold on the market. Why are they doing this?
Items that enter and exit drop tables can be sold on the market. So what's happening now is a new set comes out on the store, people buy it like crazy. Then a couple of weeks later it gets added into the drop table. 1000s of individual pieces of this set drop for players. 100s of them put them on the community marketplace. Price stays the same for a couple of days and then falls down and stabilizes.

Invoker's latest set and Shadow Shaman's latest set aren't dropping regularly, but are dropping as tournament drops and cursed items. Curiously, you can complete both their sets with all cursed/heroic items and it will still cost you less than the official store price.

Common drops like bracers and boots are worth a few cents, and others are worth $1.5 at most.

I just bought 3 sets that I wanted to before but never got around to 'em. Doom's Impending Transgressions, Spirit Breaker's Battleseeker, and Dark Seer's Aqwanderer complete sets cost me little less than $5. Much better than their store price (around $30) or giving some dude 1 key for each set.

Calidor

they're not investments if you've paid $11,000. It's something you paid the max price for to collect said item.

To me, an investment is something you buy with the expectation that it will appreciate in value and you can resell at a later date for profit. You don't go buy an $11,000 (or a $38,000 item for that matter) with the expectation that you'll be able to sell it for more. You just wanted something nobody else had or will ever have. And no matter what happens in the market, that will still be true. Nobody in the world will have their courier with their effect and with that specific color. It's just that now we can all make designer imposter versions of those $38k couriers and be happy. LOL.

My courier/item purchases weren't investments either because I didn't pick them up planning to ever sell them. But they could be considered "good" investments because I got almost all of them for cheap < $100 and they've all quadrupled in value (even after the change) or more. Same with my stuff that ended up becoming Immortal. I just get stuff that I like, no more and no less.

Your points are valid if you had any real control over your owned (leased?) goods.

Since Valve can (and did) modify your assets at any given time without warning or consideration turning them pretty much worthless, it is a bad investment in my book.

I just bought 3 sets that I wanted to before but never got around to 'em. Doom's Impending Transgressions, Spirit Breaker's Battleseeker, and Dark Seer's Aqwanderer complete sets cost me little less than $5. Much better than their store price (around $30) or giving some dude 1 key for each set.

I just got the Darkseer set too. For <1 dollar because I skipped the back item because I didn't like it.

Cheap sets are so much better. I didn't even hesitate to buy the 3.99 Earthshaker set. If it were any more than that, I wouldn't have gotten it until much later on the market, and probably skipped the totem to save money.

They really have to fix the market. Make it actually casually browse-able. It's such a pain in the ass. You have to really know what you want to even find it.

I would buy so much random shit if I just saw it around, but I'm not going to waste my time hitting next page over and over again.

They really have to fix the market. Make it actually casually browse-able. It's such a pain in the ass. You have to really know what you want to even find it.

I would buy so much random shit if I just saw it around, but I'm not going to waste my time hitting next page over and over again.

Last night I wanted to browse inscribed Tidehunter items

I typed in "Tidehunter" into the search and it found nothing related

They need a hero filter or something, it's so cumbersome and hard to use. Dota 2 has so many nonsense names and lore for items, it's impossible to remember the specific names of things to actually look for them.

geetec

Neo Member
We only had 3 people, you, geetec and my self. I did try to make a team but I could not.

I'm just kiddin' man, it's aight. I can just watch..

This is what I pretty much did, finished work, got on mumble, asked when the tourney is, bzm tells me this Saturday. with that in mind I could not commit so I asked Stevewinwood to be on his team.

Oh shit. We have a mumble? I wasn't aware.

Edit: Maybe I should read the first post more thoroughly next time.

So what is the best chest to buy a key for right now?
Do you like raptors or nice CM hair? Earth
Do you like summons like Treants, Wolves and Golems? Diretide
Do you like crappy weapons for heroes with a million items, but with a chance for a decent Lion staff, but also a chance at the creepiest and ugliest Batrider item ever? Ember
Do you like wasting money for no reason because everything is cheaper on the market? The Rarities, Scroll or Gem chests.

Honestly, I'd say Diretide, just for the Icerack Pack, which I consider to be the best designed item in the entire game, even looking nicer and more in style than Valve's own default Wolves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom