• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.

traveler

Not Wario
I'm burning my player cards as we speak. Think I'll invest in Team Liquid from here on out.

This doesn't actually do anything anymore. They changed that a few days ago. Now, you get like 9999 gold every second during Sugar Rush and the countdown doesn't begin until Rosh takes damage so there's plenty of time for people to buy whatever they want.

Missed this. Wow, guess I can play the mode again. Sweet.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Do you like raptors or nice CM hair? Earth
Do you like summons like Treants, Wolves and Golems? Diretide
Do you like crappy weapons for heroes with a million items, but with a chance for a decent Lion staff, but also a chance at the creepiest and ugliest Batrider item ever? Ember
Do you like wasting money for no reason because everything is cheaper on the market? The Rarities, Scroll or Gem chests.

Honestly, I'd say Diretide, just for the Icerack Pack, which I consider to be the best designed item in the entire game, even looking nicer and more in style than Valve's own default Wolves.
Rarities no longer drop, now we have the chest of heroic bounty. Also, Shouldn't you be happy that there are more 3 chests that drop that use the normal key :eek:

Also, why is only 1 diretide item marketable.

Lotto

Fnatic really make it hard to be a fan with how they've been playing the last week

They're still a really solid team. They usually don't roll with their momentum but I'm glad for that, makes for exciting games. I don't know how many games there were today but the few I watched Fnatic won them both (against Liquid and Alliance).

Also, Tiny + Wisp is still the best combo ever. Tiny needs to be picked up more, such a strong carry.

Edit: They're even 1st place on DreamLeague right now lol

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Hope the Dota2WH will be back up shortly (ETA is tomorrow, but things happen), I want to swap in my Prestidigitator's Source of Sorcery staff I don't like (Why is it Mythical?) for like all the Diretide Items.

Is there any price sheet on the rough values of all the Diretide items? Of the two chests I have opened, both got me Meepo Backpacks, though a friend did drop on my a Hollow Jack Recipe, so I'll likely craft one up at my leasure.

Also, I am surpised at how little some of the mounts are worth, looking at the community prices. I know the Morde-bat is uncommon, but only $.40?

One last thing, is Omoz named anywhere in any lore? Doom now has two items with Omoz in the name. Where they made by the same guy?

Do you think the Hollow Jack recipes will go up in price once Diretide is over and the chests expire, or do you think that there will be a drop in interest?

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Hope the Dota2WH will be back up shortly (ETA is tomorrow, but things happen), I want to swap in my Prestidigitator's Source of Sorcery staff I don't like (Why is it Mythical?) for like all the Diretide Items.
Is that staff a component for all Battlefury recipes or only some?

Do you think the Hollow Jack recipes will go up in price once Diretide is over and the chests expire, or do you think that there will be a drop in interest?

hard to say.

Heavily themed stuff can go either way in the world of in-game items. In TF2, some themed items are still worth quite a bit even years later, but most things aren't worth dick. We haven't really seen anything as "themed" as that thing in Dota 2 so it's hard to say if demand will be there once the season is past and Christmas/new year's is here.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

I think they are going to go up in price, though I really don't know how rare the recipes really are. I see they are commanding a price of $6 still, which is pretty high for something that also requires additonal items to make.

Wok

I don't think so. If someone wants the courier, he would easily be able to find someone to sell it for cheap. Just imagine how many couriers have already been crafted. The recipes are rare but they are only useful to make a pretty common courier.

This said, I like the courier's animations, while I find the pumpkin treant really dull compared to the flower treant.

They're still a really solid team. They usually don't roll with their momentum but I'm glad for that, makes for exciting games. I don't know how many games there were today but the few I watched Fnatic won them both (against Liquid and Alliance).

Also, Tiny + Wisp is still the best combo ever. Tiny needs to be picked up more, such a strong carry.

Edit: They're even 1st place on DreamLeague right now lol

They won a game against Liquid got lost the series, last game went badly

They can be amazing, their last week has just been weak

0 - 1 Team Liquid
0 - 1 Virtus Pro
0 - 2 EG
0 - 2 Team Liquid
2 - 1 EG
0 - 1 Team Liquid
0 - 1 EG
1 - 2 Team Liquid
1 - 0 Komanda 5
1 - 0 Alliance

They're super inconsistent at times, I miss the old HoN days

What's the benefit of valve putting all items on the market? with the 15% they will win more money than selling them at their official store?

Because they can make money off things they didn't even sell. If people sell drops they got just from playing, Valve and the item creator take a cut. Besides people who bought/buy stuff on the store and sell it on the market afterwards - double dip there. And it puts items in circulation that would otherwise be rotting in inventories or traded/bet away, where neither Valve nor the creator would receive money from the transaction - this way they do.

It's quite brilliant really. And the new crafting system just increases demand/churn, especially for otherwise worthless items, generating more revenue.

Nirvana

The game checks every few frames if you moved and applies the damage. It also has a distance limit, if you move far enough the game will not apply the damage. I believe the max range is 1300.

Does this mean Ember Spirit could jump 1300 units with his ult and take no damage?

Because they can make money off things they didn't even sell. If people sell drops they got just from playing, Valve and the item creator take a cut. Besides people who bought/buy stuff on the store and sell it on the market afterwards - double dip there. And it puts items in circulation that would otherwise be rotting in inventories or traded/bet away, where neither Valve nor the creator would receive money from the transaction - this way they do.

It's quite brilliant really. And the new crafting system just increases demand/churn, especially for otherwise worthless items, generating more revenue.

yea they're making money 2 or 3 times like this. Sold a free drop? We'll take a cut.

sold a courier you traded for? We'll take a cut.

don't want that old set that you already paid us once for last year? We'll take a cut of that too.

Yeah

Actually just got an email with a steam code for Dota 2 MLG Championship Item Bundle. Same one as the in-game that I bought earlier I assume. Oh well, more prize money.

Yep, people were upset that they didn't get the in game thing with their actual ticket, so they made some deal with valve and had to manually send each ticket holder a steam code for the dota ticket.

brentech

Yep, people were upset that they didn't get the in game thing with their actual ticket, so they made some deal with valve and had to manually send each ticket holder a steam code for the dota ticket.

Interesting. Thought it would be cool to get the items, but not something I'd have been mad about. Well, obviously since I already bought it.

Hotels looking fairly booked up. Haven't been able to decide if I wanted to just drive down on 2 days or stay the night. Looks like I'm probably going to drive which isn't a huge deal. 2 1/2hrs away. Not sure which days I'll go yet.
Has there been any sort of schedule yet? All I've seen is what time you can pick up your passes and when you can get in, but nothing about the time range matches take place in.

edit: nevermind, they at least have some details up now

Event Times for In-Person Spectators (all ET)

Friday, November 22

10:30am Check-In Opens

12:30pm Early admission to the event for VIPs

12:45pm Exclusive, VIP only behind the scenes tour – meet at the main entrance

1-2pm VIP reception in the VIP Lounge – Gift bags, MLG hoodies, limited edition pint glasses and more will be distributed!

2pm Doors open to the public

5pm Event kicks off – Broadcast begins on www.MLG.tv with the Dr Pepper Pre-Game Show

5:30pm Competition begins – all five streams available on www.MLG.tv

Saturday, November 23
10am Competition begins in the venue and broadcast begins on www.MLG.tv

Sunday, November 24
10am Competition begins in the venue and broadcast begins on www.MLG.tv

* Couriers that scale their particle effects based on their games viewed will work again.
* Fixed several bugs that caused recipes to be generated with incorrect requirements.
* Fixed a bug that caused the UI for a recipe that requires multiple inputs of a particular rarity to incorrectly display a requirement for a specific item once the input requirement was partially fulfilled.
* Uncraftable items will no longer be generated as required inputs for recipes. Recipes that currently have uncraftable inputs will be adjusted to require a random item of the same rarity.
* Fixed a bug where inscribed gems would only display their first digit on the Steam Community Market.
* Inscribed gems now are named only by the type of stat they track instead of the type of stat they track and the value. This means that all items of the same type will appear together on the Steam Community Market. I.e.: No more "Kills: 1" category and "Kills: 2" category instead there would just be one "Kills" category.

Diretide Candy Rush changes:
- Roshan no longer belly aches.
- Roshan refreshes hero abilities only once per life at 50%.
- Roshan cannot be frozen, disarmed, or silenced.
- Roshan can be stunned and hexed.
- Roshan has a Spell Block ability (10 sec cooldown).

Dahbomb

hell yeah, your first match is against volodjas team, theyve got some serious star power too
Yeah I have played with everyone on their team, it should be a good match although our team has NEVER played in a stack where as their team plays in stacks all the time!

* Couriers that scale their particle effects based on their games viewed will work again.
* Fixed several bugs that caused recipes to be generated with incorrect requirements.
* Fixed a bug that caused the UI for a recipe that requires multiple inputs of a particular rarity to incorrectly display a requirement for a specific item once the input requirement was partially fulfilled.
* Uncraftable items will no longer be generated as required inputs for recipes. Recipes that currently have uncraftable inputs will be adjusted to require a random item of the same rarity.
* Fixed a bug where inscribed gems would only display their first digit on the Steam Community Market.
* Inscribed gems now are named only by the type of stat they track instead of the type of stat they track and the value. This means that all items of the same type will appear together on the Steam Community Market. I.e.: No more "Kills: 1" category and "Kills: 2" category instead there would just be one "Kills" category.

Diretide Candy Rush changes:
- Roshan no longer belly aches.
- Roshan refreshes hero abilities only once per life at 50%.
- Roshan cannot be frozen, disarmed, or silenced.
- Roshan can be stunned and hexed.
- Roshan has a Spell Block ability (10 sec cooldown).

So treant ult won't work anymore? I'm guessing it falls into "frozen"?

shira

hard to say.

Heavily themed stuff can go either way in the world of in-game items. In TF2, some themed items are still worth quite a bit even years later, but most things aren't worth dick. We haven't really seen anything as "themed" as that thing in Dota 2 so it's hard to say if demand will be there once the season is past and Christmas/new year's is here.
I noticed it easier to sell lotus couriers during cherry blossom bloom

alrighty here's the bad boy we've been working on for a bit, finally submitted!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYjsfFhji2M
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=196516282

We also took 'making of' video for the marketing illustration and one of the animations, which you can see on the workshop page. I'm gonna try to take video of my process for future items. I know it's very silly but I hope you guys dig it, it's a fun one I think!

my own little koreans to do my bidding!

shira

alrighty here's the bad boy we've been working on for a bit, finally submitted!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYjsfFhji2M
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=196516282

We also took 'making of' video for the marketing illustration and one of the animations, which you can see on the workshop page. I'm gonna try to take video of my process for future items. I know it's very silly but I hope you guys dig it, it's a fun one I think!
Was this a nexon commission request or you guys came up with it yourselfie?

It kind of reminds me of Korean lore where suitors would kidnap potential wives and then keep them until they agreed to marry, in effect "wifestealers"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom