• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boken

Banned
Here is something about the guide system in the game (coming from someone who had never played a moba before and is still learning a lot about the game):

It doesn't teach you shit. When I first started playing last year I was looking up builds on playdota and learning about the characters and why go a certain skill/item build might suit different situations. Now it's just "oh thats what the highest rated one says so I do it".

Don't get me wrong, it works really well for when you are trying to just learn the mechanics but when you really want to learn how a character works it doesn't help with that at all. RIght now I am trying to get myself to stop using the guides because I feel they are hurting me overall.
All it takes is critical thinking.

Just ask yourself - why are they buying x or levelling y. And I assure you, you will learn faster with a guide then blind on your own

Hylian7

All it takes is critical thinking.

Just ask yourself - why are they buying x or levelling y. And I assure you, you will learn faster with a guide then blind on your own

I agree, I think a good place to start is taking a look at the "Valve" build by default and figuring out for yourself what out of it is good or bad. (most of them are bad)

Dec

Merlini and a player would be great, like how H4nni and a few others have been casting a couple games here and there. Knowledge all up in there with very little flare thrown in (like trying to call moves before time and being wrong "OH THEY ARE GOING TO PUSH UP MIDDLE LANE RIGHT NOW, THEY REALIZE <insert> ISN'T IN A POSITION TO DEFEND... OH NOPE... GONNA GO FARM THE JUNGLE, THEY REALIZE THEY DON'T REALLY NEED TOWERS BECAUSE THEY WIN THE LATE GAME. OH WAIT NO THEY'RE SMOKING BECAUSE THEY SAW A HERO IN THIS WARD, OH NOPE THEY ARE SWINGING TOP TO GET A TOWER."). You don't know what they are doing, just shut up and comment on what they are doing after they have done it.

The people that are actually good at the game often point out very smart, but small tactics after a fight that make me appreciate the level of skill of some of the players more. I find everyone on BTS just straight up misses a ton of stuff.

Kard8p3

Here is something about the guide system in the game (coming from someone who had never played a moba before and is still learning a lot about the game):

It doesn't teach you shit. When I first started playing last year I was looking up builds on playdota and learning about the characters and why go a certain skill/item build might suit different situations. Now it's just "oh thats what the highest rated one says so I do it".

Don't get me wrong, it works really well for when you are trying to just learn the mechanics but when you really want to learn how a character works it doesn't help with that at all. RIght now I am trying to get myself to stop using the guides because I feel they are hurting me overall.

I probably should have expanded on that point, if he is using any guides, he needs to make sure that the guides explain why he is buying item x or leveling ability y, something like purge's guide is decent. But yes, he does need to learn how to think for himself at some point, but if he is just starting out everything will be too overwhelming.

Wok

I probably should have expanded on that point, if he is using any guides, he needs to make sure that the guides explain why he is buying item x or leveling ability y, something like purge's guide is decent. But yes, he does need to learn how to think for himself at some point, but if he is just starting out everything will be too overwhelming.

I agree: the best guides come with a small explanation for each spell and most items which were chosen. I only figured out there were in-game guides after 100 hours of playing Lich and this has been a game-changer.

shira

Why the fuck are there no cosmetic sets for my favourite character. :mad:

Fucking bullshit.

Make them IRL
BZ84ELOCEAA2Arb.jpg

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So maybe its just the matches I've been playing lately but post 6.79 I feel like I'm getting a lot more utility out Veno as a right-clicker then I am out of using his ult. To the point that in a recent game I skipped Aghs and built a Skaddi and it worked really well

Anyone else play around with SaltyDOTA? A guy built a bot that broadcasts random DotA games and lets you bet play money on them.

It's like SaltyBet (only actually fun for more than 5 minutes) but its user base dropped off quite a bit as of late.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

It's true. I've been playing this game for like a year now and while I've obviously learned a lot I felt like so much time was wasted just listening to commands and following guides instead of actually learning why things are supposed to be done.

I've gotten ripped off in video game trading before, so I wanted to ask you guys if a Hollow Jack for an Itsy (I want that spider) would be considered a fair trade or if I'd be getting scammed

Why the fuck are there no cosmetic sets for my favourite character. :mad:

Fucking bullshit.

As a Bane player, I feel your pain

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I have to be honest, I just don't get earth spirit. Most games he is just there and does things that will be mildly annoying.

Also, I hit so many damn ads on mobile, I hope you are happy evilore.

It's true. I've been playing this game for like a year now and while I've obviously learned a lot I felt like so much time was wasted just listening to commands and following guides instead of actually learning why things are supposed to be done.
I think you learned a lot more than you think by following some of them. Yeah some of them aren't that great, but they're just templates (I don't want to use the word basics as some of that shit ain't basic).

Just a general feel for a lot if heroes or item progression (a nice mid game item like drums goes a long way instead of just going 'i want monkey king bar') is pretty nice to understand and get you further than plenty of people.

Demoli

Just got the Atwin's set Bear from my level up drop with an augment rares, which gave me a tink bot. I'll never use the bear since i have the panda, but if i feel like a match for my true form it'll do.

T'was a good day.

I have to be honest, I just don't get earth spirit. Most games he is just there and does things that will be mildly annoying.

Just wait until you play with or against a good earth spirit, such crazy initiation. It's fun to watch when it's not happening to you.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

I really need to get my reflexes better to be any good with him. I need to be able to instantly rattle off a Rock-Push-Grab combo, and I can't do it nearly fast enough

Hylian7

My first Earth Spirit was kind of shit, my second one was so much better. That hero is so good and I definitely look forward to playing him m ore.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I really need to get my reflexes better to be any good with him. I need to be able to instantly rattle off a Rock-Push-Grab combo, and I can't do it nearly fast enough

I'm not used to having to use that D-ability so much so I don't have the muscle memory for it yet. I know the combos and I know what I want to do but it's gonna take more time to get the hang of doing it fast.

Haunted

As a Bane player, I feel your pain
;_;

Those two and Viper are neglected bros.

It's like SaltyBet (only actually fun for more than 5 minutes) but its user base dropped off quite a bit as of late.
It's like SaltyBet except completely useless because games last 40 minutes instead of 40 seconds. Mugen SaltyBet popularity comes from the crazy matchups and rapid pace. Doesn't really work for Dota 2.

bitch @ valve son. Need them breakdowns
You're my biggest hope once they make these available for Undying!

bounchfx

How about Bane?

also not available. it sucks because the majority of the heroes just aren't ready for cosmetics yet... but trust me, there's a bunch of us just sittin' here waiting for them so we can do stuff for new heroes.

u already did high poly didnt u?
ahah, naw, but we have ideas :) Lots of stuff planned, is all I can say. Those plans could easily change though if valve breaks down new heroes. (see: undying)

ElyrionX

So I've been playing and winning a lot with another group of people who have relatively high MMR (based on their MM history before Valve took away the ability to see, they were playing in High). This probably raised my own MMR by quite a bit since I noticed that my recent games with or without them have been really goddamn hard. Constant ganking and wardings and counter wardings and some very high level plays throughout. Now, it's nice to be out of the trench but this makes it really hard for me or anyone in my team to pick up new heroes because we just become a liability to the team.

Also, I notice that when I play with some friends who are probably in the trench, I generally need to go for some high impact competitive hero or else I would usually lose the game. I suspect that my MMR is pulling up the average of this group and matching us with people that my friends would struggle with.

Now I understand why people make smurf accounts. Valve really needs to do something about this.

bounchfx

No breakdowns until the remakes are done.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that when that happens it's going to be a ton of them. I can't see them just releasing one or two new breakdowns, it would just flood those with new cosmetics. But if they opened up 15 new heroes.. :)

bzm

you're welcome for the tow out of trashtier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom