• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Anybody wanna trade me a Hollow Jack recipe that doesn't require a mythical for 2 keys?

Well, I was watching the Navi DK game 2 and Xboct bought the Butterfly after Helm and BKB. Why not a Manta instead? Because he doesn't have any skills that illusions would directly benefit from?

Manta isn't that good an item unless your inherent skillset has something that benefits the illusions as well.

Look at the most common Manta Carriers: AM Illusions get his Mana Burn. Medusa gets Split Shot on her Illusions. Chaos Knight has Reality Rift that works with all illusions in a radius. Phantom Lancer's Manta Illusions can also Juxtapose to keep spawning.

Manta isn't that good an item unless your inherent skillset has something that benefits the illusions as well.

Look at the most common Manta Carriers: AM Illusions get his Mana Burn. Medusa gets Split Shot on her Illusions. Chaos Knight has Reality Rift that works with all illusions in a radius. Phantom Lancer's Manta Illusions can also Juxtapose to keep spawning.

It's also very good to disjoint some stuns and dust. So it's cool in invis heroes and for NP rat doto.

btw I want women for my hats ;_;

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
manta on np might just be next level enough to work

I don't really see it. It's not like NP's pushing power needs a whole lot of help. Build a Maelstrom/Mjollnir on him and you melt creeps, plus you naturally have your treants that you leave behind to keep the momentum of the lane in your favor.

Using Manta to purge off dust doesn't help you...because if you've used Shadow Blade it's not like you can just re-use it after you manta.

You'd have to build Shadow Blade > Manta > Refresher to pull off a blade > manta > blade combo to properly escape after an attempted gank.

G.ZZZ

I don't really see it. It's not like NP's pushing power needs a whole lot of help. Build a Maelstrom/Mjollnir on him and you melt creeps, plus you naturally have your treants that you leave behind to keep the momentum of the lane in your favor.

Using Manta to purge off dust doesn't help you...because if you've used Shadow Blade it's not like you can just re-use it after you manta.

You'd have to build Shadow Blade > Manta > Refresher to pull off a blade > manta > blade combo to properly escape after an attempted gank.

? It's not really for that, it's just giving you more push while keeping decent enough MS. It's not a rare pickup, especially as a boot replacement item since it give much more damage and comparable ms to treads, plus the ability to push faster with your illusion for maximum scumbag effect.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Trying to trade for a 5 use artificer hammer on Dota 2 Lounge is a lesson in futility... Everybody and their scammer ass grandmother is using up 4 of the charges and trading away the final charge like its a full hammer.

RubxQub

? It's not really for that, it's just giving you more push while keeping decent enough MS. It's not a rare pickup, especially as a boot replacement item since it give much more damage and comparable ms to treads, plus the ability to push faster with your illusion for maximum scumbag effect.

I was more referencing the "next level" reference, assuming it was in reply to the post above it stating that you can purge off dust.

In general, I wouldn't think a Manta would be better than a Maelstrom for pure pushing power...but does come with the added benefit of more push sustain after you leave the lane.

You don't need to get a refresher for it to work. It just gves an extra escape mecanism and extra push as said. You can use it to avoid a stun then tp, or to purge dust/track/etc.

Yeah its not uncommon, I think I first saw it on Bamboe but probably older than the sun.

ElyrionX

Yeah, I checked and both Burning and Xboct went Butterfly immediately after Helm and BKB on Gyro. Burning even went Butterfly after Helm and BKB on Luna and didn't get the Manta.

Dont forget my girl Luna. Moon Glaives everywhere!

I was more referencing the "next level" reference, assuming it was in reply to the post above it stating that you can purge off dust.

In general, I wouldn't think a Manta would be better than a Maelstrom for pure pushing power...but does come with the added benefit of more push sustain after you leave the lane.

Oh fuck no, I wouldn't buy a manta simply to purge off dust.

I just think it would be funny to have a nature's prophet in each lane pushing all at once.

I've never done it, I think it would be fun.

ViviOggi

There's no item bar MoM that lets you unload your flak cannon faster and +60 damage is relatively good together with the great survivability against physical damage it gives you, which is definitely your priority after BKB.

RubxQub

You don't need to get a refresher for it to work. It just gves an extra escape mecanism and extra push as said. You can use it to avoid a stun then tp, or to purge dust/track/etc.

Yeah its not uncommon, I think I first saw it on Bamboe but probably older than the sun.

Very situational item pickup.

Not all stuns are disjointable, if you're using it to dodge a stun they're on you already with quite possibly enough DPS to burn you down before you can get a TP off again. Getting Track off, sure. Helps with pushing, sure.

Just can't see a super strong case to recommend getting it over the more standard Maelstrom for most scenarios.

Also...DatDota shows that pros hardly ever use it (bought less than 2% of the time) and it's bought as a 5th item on average with a average build time of 42 minutes.

Absolutely the right move. Glad to hear Valve changed their stance on this.

well... there are heroes like Gyro and Venomancer that were remade already and could just as easily be made compatible with cosmetics because they probably won't be changed again.

Unless the remakes are all done before the end of the year, people are going to grow bored of the same 20 heroes getting items. You only have so many item slots, and honestly heroes like Meepo and Medusa who are broken down probably don't even factor into most people's purchases.

So PlayDota is down for a week long extensive maintenance. There's been some speculation it might be converted into a more Dota 2 oriented website and resource, but who really knows at this point.

ViviOggi

mushi.jpg

Happy birthday M-god /salute

Played a game or two with PA, so in one game i am carrying against timber and tiny. timbersaw is to fucking tanky to kill and tiny stuns me with each attack. So timbersaw and tiny counters PA ;_; why can't i go back to shit matchmaking so I can have fun

Phandy

earth spirit
so fun
so strong
so sex
is qt

I've been practising with him, because I know he's a hero I'll like (/maybe be good with). I need to watch you play though and some good players. I always struggle to figure out the best way to start fights, and a good 'rotation' of skills. He has so many options I never know if I used the right one. Also item/skill builds I have no idea either. Got anything you like milk?

Hero is super fun though.

Zeth

Party with 4 people including me with <100 wins + one dude's RL friend who has 900+ or something. Of course he's on his pro team speak with in-game open-mic talking about how bad his team is feeding. I know you're that guy dota-gaf. I know it.

Artanisix

I've been practising with him, because I know he's a hero I'll like (/maybe be good with). I need to watch you play though and some good players. I always struggle to figure out the best way to start fights, and a good 'rotation' of skills. He has so many options I never know if I used the right one. Also item/skill builds I have no idea either. Got anything you like milk?

Hero is super fun though.

Item builds, I'm still super-experimental with what to go on him. Seems like BKB is good, along with other utility items like Force Staff and Shivas. Not quite sure yet though.

Skill wise, I'm pretty comfortable with the e/w/q/q/q/r/q/w/w/w/r build. Gives you a lot of killing power early and maxes both of your disables for the midgame. I'm still trying to get comfortable with all his options, it's hard to remember you can pull/push teammates, push enemies, push/pull rocks, etc. Really, really fun though.

Party with 4 people including me with <100 wins + one dude's RL friend who has 900+ or something. Of course he's on his pro team speak with in-game open-mic talking about how bad his team is feeding. I know you're that guy dota-gaf. I know it.

Well you could always ask that guy's RL friend to scrim and then let us know and dota-gaf will pound his nipples in.

G.ZZZ

Dudes we need some names here. Get more real.

GUIDOS always ready to kick some evildoers with no muscles. If they're big then well, no luck sorry..

Razzer

Btw, now that we have had the tourney, how about more formal scrims every so often? Inhouses are fun but they are more about randoming and being slightly crazy for laughs. I know I at least really enjoyed the more serious competitive nature of the tourney so having matches like that on a semi-regular basis would be cool. Mid-tier scrimming. We have teams now so we could just stick to them.

G.ZZZ

Btw, now that we have had the tourney, how about more formal scrims every so often? Inhouses are fun but they are more about randoming and being slightly crazy for laughs. I know I at least really enjoyed the more serious competitive nature of the tourney so having matches like that on a semi-regular basis would be cool. Mid-tier scrimming. We have teams now so we could just stick to them.

Fuck this i'm making a team of only tanned and muscular dudes.

More seriously SamVimes has already a team and he plays with them most of the time so i don't think it would be much viable.

Artanisix

It's definitely one of the side effects of the tournament. It's kinda cool to get a little insight to the groups and players in GAF. Add some of them to your friends list if you haven't already and ask them if they want to scrim!
you can scrim me too, bring it on

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

we had this, it was called ihl, but then ppl qq about losing and balance and teams and want to go back to regular IH. it's the circle of dota life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom