• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Pudge gems sold, so I'm up $8+ dollars. ~$6 profit on a key is not too shabby. There's so many cruddy gems that I'm not sure it's really worth investing in gem cache treasure as a normal thing though.

Also sneak preview of what I'm currently working on. May or may not work out and be completed. Very WIP ofc.

What's the point of even having a workshop if a set gets tons of votes, enough to be added, and then is added and the community demands it be removed.

How frustrating that must be for Valve. To have the community say they want it added and then when you add it the community says they don't want it anymore.

How frustrating that must be for Valve. To have the community say they want it added and then when you add it the community says they don't want it anymore.
To be fair (and you know this) you can't group the community up into one group.

What Facepunch and GAF wants is very, very different to what Reddit wants.

To be fair (and you know this) you can't group the community up into one group.

Ultimately, Valve offers everyone in the community the ability to vote and comment on what they want in the game.

It just seems people feel they can just skip this step, be lazy, whine enough, and get their way despite the people who actually bothered to take Valve up on their feedback system getting trampled on in the process.

If the community as a whole feels so passionately about Dota 2's style, they shouldn't be so lazy about voting on the workshop.

KingKong

cat drow looks better than barely indistinguishable Natures Prophet set #5 or whatever the hell Warlock looks like.

seriously how does he not tip over when he walks

dota_item_the_exiled_demonologist_set_large.cdac326a2f9f77452bb741a1cb3bcf8dd05275eb.png

sephi22

Why do people not like the Drow set? Its super well done.
Is it because of the cat ears? They are not sexualized or anything.
Drow doesn't have any good sets besides the Boreal set so I dig this one.

Reddit's hardcore hating on this set too.

I love the people who come out of the woodwork to admit they were too lazy to check the workshop every so often but are appalled Valve listened to those uncultured swine who actually bothered to take Valve up on their offer to provide feedback.

Boken

Banned
Now now, let's not assume that workshop is even representative of the wants of the community and that it's everybody's duty to moderate the content of the game via workshop voting

The people who check workshop to vote are those who buy sets, but the people who are upset come from the larger group of people who play the game - because they will inevitably see it in their games. The workshop is a place to determine what is worthy to enter the game, not a place for the wider community to veto sets they do not like. Ultimately, the pool of sets to potentially veto are much greater than the sets that will enter the game and is an asymmetric effort for the community.

This actually just highlights valves lazy attitude to the game (or just the community), hoping that the workshop will just run and moderate itself when it ultimately can't in the cases of divisive sets. At the end of the day though, it's less effort for them to let the community whine and just fix it afterwards.

not a place for the wider community to veto sets they do not like.
but it's is. It's happened before with the thousands of sets and items with low votes because people don't like them.

I just don't see how the community can have the audacity to feel their opinion matters more post release of a set than before its released. Valve doesn't hide the workshop, if the style of the game matters that much to people, they should use every opportunity to express their opinion. Valve aren't mind readers, and they've provided a way for the community to say what they want or don't want in the game. If the majority of the community doesn't use this channel, oh well. Sucks for those community members.

sephi22

If you don't care for sets, and just care about playing the game, then just play it and ignore what pants the other guy's hero is wearing.

Boken

Banned
but it's is. It's happened before with the thousands of sets and items with low votes because people don't like them.

I just don't see how the community can have the audacity to feel their opinion matters more post release of a set than before its released. Valve doesn't hide the workshop, if the style of the game matters that much to people, they should use every opportunity to express their opinion. Valve aren't mind readers, and they've provided a way for the community to say what they want or don't want in the game. If the majority of the community doesn't use this channel, oh well. Sucks for those community members.
My point was that the people who actively participate on workshop is generally limited to those who actively buy sets, which is a small subset of the group of people who would be affected by existence of said skins
If you don't care for sets, and just care about playing the game, then just play it and ignore what pants the other guy's hero is wearing.
What, you can't ignore cat ears N tails

My point was that the people who actively participate on workshop is generally limited to those who actively buy sets, which is a small subset of the group of people who would be affected by existence of said skins

Well those are the people who are passionate/stupid/greedy enough to put in the effort needed to get sets they like and keep out sets they don't, so if the people complaining feel passionate about not wanting silly stuff in their games they really should invest time into keeping them out. Otherwise they obviously don't care that much.

On that note I want to see /d2g/'s reaction to this

sephi22

Reddit is hating up a storm right now, including Tobywan.
I know most of the guys asking for the removal have bought the set already in hopes it becomes the next Alpine Ursa. I hope Valve fucking keeps this

traveler

Not Wario
Reddit is hating up a storm right now, including Tobywan.
I know most of the guys asking for the removal have bought the set already in hopes it becomes the next Alpine Ursa. I hope Valve fucking keeps this

Should pull a turn 10 and cut the price in half as an "apology", then make the cut permanent so everyone that bought it while simultaneously complaining about it gets screwed over.

IceMarker

Um... I just bought a key for a Diretide chest, it did the countdown, but nothing dropped. What the fuck?

EDIT: Nevermind, refreshing the client worked.

Okay maybe gemstone caches are worth investing in. Just got enemy heroes hooked which is worth $10+ dollars.

Also got debuffs purged for Slark in that chest, though I don't have anything good to put it on.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Good news: New Sand King set
Bad news: I don't like and there won't be another one for another year

Where do I buy Drow cat ears?

Also good news: 125 Wins!
Bad news: Nothing. I'm 125-98 and having a lot of fun solo queuing Ember and Earth Spirit in AP.

7hkXMX5.png

NBtoaster

Wait so the game really does count Diretide games into your wins and losses? :S

There's now a difference of like 30 losses between Dotabuff and ingame..
Annoying especially because I was using Diretide to practice heros.

EDIT: Nevermind I misread my in game losses.

shira

What, you can't ignore cat ears N tails
Wat?

dmshaposv

I can't believe that shitty furry drow set is considered "Rare" where as that sweet looking second disciple Bounty Hunter set is common. It's much better designed (keeping with Valve's strict art direction rules in their PDF), and looks more up-market than this PoS drow set.

Seriously props to the Gaffer here who made that set. I'm kinda happy it is cheaper for me to buy but it deserved a higher rarity stamp. Especially if that shitty Drow set can. Volvo gon bonkers.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
The reddit reaction to that Drow set is fucking embarrassing. What a bunch of whiny crybabies. I wouldn't be surprised if much of it was phony outrage aimed at hopefully getting the set pulled and making money. Tough shit though because that will never happen the same way again. You're not a genius, everyone is thinking the same thing and there's probably already many, many times more Drow sets in circulation than there were Alpine Ursa sets.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
The reddit reaction to that Drow set is fucking embarrassing. What a bunch of whiny crybabies. I wouldn't be surprised if much of it was phony outrage aimed at hopefully getting the set pulled and making money. Tough shit though because that will never happen the same way again. You're not a genius, everyone is thinking the same thing and there's probably already many, many times more Drow sets in circulation than there were Alpine Ursa sets.

Personally, I'd be far more embarrassed if such a fuckugly set was praised by the community, but I can see the logic in rolling your eyes at all the wannabee profiteers.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Personally, I'd be far more embarrassed if such a fuckugly set was praised by the community, but I can see the logic in rolling your eyes at all the wannabee profiteers.

I'm certainly not saying it's a great set. The reaction is just wildly out of proportion.

Unfortunately it was (is) praised by the community. That's how it got added in the first place.

shira

win-win imho, valve gets the resale points too

Unfortunately it was (is) praised by the community. That's how it got added in the first place.

5stars and 2000 upvotes on the workshop is a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom