• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys I need your advice, please.

I have been playing the game for almost a year, I am level 52 right now, however, all this time I have been playing only coop vs. bots games, the thing is, I like a lot coop online games. But now for different reasons I want to try and play against real people. First playing Diretide I had the opportunity to play against humans and it was a nice change since the behavior is very different from the bots, second, because I am tired of seeing the bots cheating, playing Mirana is an exercise of frustration because they always evade the arrow, and third, I am tired of facing the same heroes and strategy all the time, especially when I have somebody on my team exploiting the AI of the bots.

556D5A917F6F01F930BC4526A5A885BDB94960C3

My question is, which mode should I choose to play? I have heard that all pick is terrible, for how easy is to abuse, so I was thinking about trying random draft or captain's mode. I watch frequently the videos from Purge, the games of teams like Alliance and NaVi, and also I frequently read the discussions on different topics on Reddit, so I know how work many mechanics of the game, but I have zero experience.

So which mode should I play? Thanks in advance.

Nymerio

YMMV obviously, but I've found AP to be the most frustrating experience. I like Single Draft, Random Draft and All Random. Captains Draft if I queue with at least 4 friends. All Random is the best though.

I have been playing the game for almost a year, I am level 52 right now, however, all this time I have been playing only coop vs. bots games, the thing is, I like a lot coop online games. But now for different reasons I want to try and play against real people. First playing Diretide I had the opportunity to play against humans and it was a nice change since the behavior is very different from the bots, second, because I am tired of seeing the bots cheating, playing Mirana is an exercise of frustration because they always evade the arrow, and third, I am tired of facing the same heroes and strategy all the time, especially when I have somebody on my team exploiting the AI of the bots.

My question is, which mode should I choose to play? I have heard that all pick is terrible, for how easy is to abuse, so I was thinking about trying random draft or captain's mode. I watch frequently the videos from Purge, the games of teams like Alliance and NaVi, and also I frequently read the discussions on different topics on Reddit, so I know how work many mechanics of the game, but I have zero experience.

A whole year of only co-op?

Single Draft and Random draft are probably the best choices, assuming you have a good feel for all the heroes. Give captain's draft a go too once you're comfortable.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum

Having played no matches against humans I would leave everything up, you don't know what you like. Don't put much weight to reddit whining about game modes, AP factor doesn't really come into play until very high nerd stacks.

It's time to stop playing bot matches forever

Lotto

Single Draft and Random Draft. All Pick is pretty terrible because everyone that plays that mode has made their mind up with what they want to pick ahead of time leaving all possibility for a solid draft out the window (this is where you see 5 carries). Single draft can pigeonhole some player's into a specific role so they have no choice but to be a support/carry. It also gets you to be more comfortable with playing any hero the game throws at you. I suggest you queue with at least one person to play with, solo-queuing is hardly ever fun. I did something similar to what you did with only playing bots/coop for a long time but having a buddy to play with you makes it a lot less daunting.

If you're solo queuing, Single Draft or Random Draft.

YMMV obviously, but I've found AP to be the most frustrating experience. I like Single Draft, Random Draft and All Random. Captains Draft if I queue with at least 4 friends. All Random is the best though.

Yes, I am solo queuing, since any of my friends play Dota.

A whole year of only co-op?

Single Draft and Random draft are probably the best choices, assuming you have a good feel for all the heroes. Give captain's draft a go too once you're comfortable.

Yes, I got Dota 2 the last Christmas. I have played almost all the heroes so I have an idea how each of them work, I think in the random draft I will found at least one hero I am familiar with.

Having played no matches against humans I would leave everything up, you don't know what you like. Don't put much weight to reddit whining about game modes, AP factor doesn't really come into play until very high nerd stacks.

It's time to stop playing bot matches forever

Sure, I want to stop the bots games and try real Dota :)

Single Draft and Random Draft. All Pick is pretty terrible because everyone that plays that mode has made their mind up with what they want to pick ahead of time leaving all possibility for a solid draft out the window (this is where you see 5 carries). Single draft can pigeonhole some player's into a specific role so they have no choice but to be a support/carry. It also gets you to be more comfortable with playing any hero the game throws at you. I suggest you queue with at least one person to play with, solo-queuing is hardly ever fun. I did something similar to what you did with only playing bots/coop for a long time but having a buddy to play with you makes it a lot less daunting.

Thing is none of my friends play Dota 2, but i have some people added in Steam, I ll try to join a game with them.

Thanks a lot for the advice people ;) then I will go and try Random Draft tonight, and after I fill comfortable I will give a try to Captain's Mode. I will tell you how was :)

Randdalf

I play lots of CM, I just really enjoy the drafting, even if I tend to sometimes spend too much time drafting defensively (i.e. lots counter-bans, counter-picks).

bzm

Yes, I am solo queuing, since any of my friends play Dota.

Yes, I got Dota 2 the last Christmas. I have played almost all the heroes so I have an idea how each of them work, I think in the random draft I will found at least one hero I am familiar with.

Sure, I want to stop the bots games and try real Dota :)

Thing is none of my friends play Dota 2, but i have some people added in Steam, I ll try to join a game with them.

Thanks a lot for the advice people ;) then I will go and try Random Draft tonight, and after I fill comfortable I will give a try to Captain's Mode. I will tell you how was :)

You can join the gaf channel if you need people to play with. Aside from 1.09 we're all pretty friendly.

A pretty similar one to CSS.

Negative.

Its part of my standard build on him now. I find his autoattack ability to be much more relevent since the Gale nerf and the Ward buff, to the point where I even build Skaadi on him sometimes

When the hell do you get farmed enough to buy a Skaadi on Veno? I see people suggest these big items for supports but I never even get close to buying them unless it's either a really long match or if we're just stomping like crazy. Most matches as support I have Arcane Boots, Mek, Drums (or Ghost Scepter), and maybe another mid-tier item like Eul's.

xanavi

This game I just played defies explanation. Don't lane PA and Spec against a solo spidermama and have your shadowfiend go razeless against a trilane
unless you want to win

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
When the hell do you get farmed enough to buy a Skaadi on Veno? I see people suggest these big items for supports but I never even get close to buying them unless it's either a really long match or if we're just stomping like crazy. Most matches as support I have Arcane Boots, Mek, Drums (or Ghost Scepter), and maybe another mid-tier item like Eul's.

Game I just played I was supporting (got chicken, wards, mek) and still got farmed enough to get Skadi cause it was utter domination.

http://dotabuff.com/matches/404140341

Skadi is so good now. Borderline broken. Especially the attack speed debuff.

Veno is one of those heroes where even when I'm playing support on him I try to find a way to get semi carry items. See also: Windrunner, Venge.

Razzer

So, for best teams in the west right now, would it go speed, sigma, fnatic, navi, then alliance?

Honestly they are all so close I don't think there is an order. They are just a bunch of great teams who could all beat each other on any given day. Funny how as the game itself is at it's most balanced for a while, so is the pro scene.

Zeth

Do you guys random in AP? I've considered trying AP but I feel the pool of players at my level (<100 wins) will lead to a bad time.

NBtoaster

All Pick is fine. Especially in the current meta where there are practically no pubstompers.

Randoming is not advised though. 200 extra gold isn't worth playing something horrible like Morphling or Wisp. Or being instantly counter picked like Riki.

Calidor

All Pick is fine. Especially in the current meta where there are practically no pubstompers.

Randoming is not advised though. 200 extra gold isn't worth playing something horrible like Morphling or Wisp. Or being instantly counter picked like Riki.

<3 wisp WTF?

I kinda understand you, I played a lot of bot games although I have played about 300 games with peoples.

About modes you should play pretty much everything, I guess you have played every hero and know how to build and skill at least half of the roster decently. I'd play every mode except CM and random in All Pick for dat extra gold. You should be stomping.

Fou-Lu

How do you guys have your key bindings set up? I've just been using default, but I've noticed my friends have things set up differently.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
1.09, Milk, I don't know how you guys farm and level up so fucking quickly. Ember was a 25 when I was a 14 or some shit. Absurd.

GG.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I honestly really hate this current push-heavy style of play that's successful in the game as it is currently. It's so fucking frustrating to dominate the game for 90% of it and then just get pushed to death by the same usual suspects.

Soule

Randomed Meepo last night and figured why not give him a go for the first time, had a good win. Was already in a stack with mates so it didn't matter I was playing pretty average but it wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom