• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.

elyetis

So, League of Legends is going to add in a new queuing option, "Team Builder", which is basically a Role Queue, so players can select what role they want to play before the queue. I think the playerbase will like it.

http://forums.euw.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=13575345

Thoughs? And maybe I should just make a general "Moba" community topic, I like talking about what other games are trying.
I thought about it before, the thing is it might be hard to balance in dota 2 ( maybe in LoL too, I really don't know much about it's meta ) it's not like there is always a jungler, or a 1/1/3 or a 2/1/2. But that's definitly something which should be worked on ( there is many option, like people choosing what kind of setup they want, before choosing what role they want to play ).

Speaking of queuing option I want a AP without being able to random a hero.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
How about just a normal draft mode. You take turns like in the other draft modes, but all the heroes are open.

So as someone who has only been following this scene since TI3 I'm not too familiar with certain things. How exactly does Valve choose who to invite to the next international? How much does winning/ losing starladder season 7 effect Navi/Alliance? Do certain tournaments hold more weight in valve's eyes , i.e is a dreamhack more valuable for judging a team then something else or are they just looking for consistency?

Valve pretty much pick the top 7 teams from the West (With 2 US teams usualy) and top 7 from the East, Any team who consistently comes top 4 in tournaments in Europe over the next six months would be pretty much guaranteed an invite.

I'd doubt they'd put much into Starladder 7, too early in the season. Starladder 8 and 9 will probably happen before the invites go out anyway

So, League of Legends is going to add in a new queuing option, "Team Builder", which is basically a Role Queue, so players can select what role they want to play before the queue. I think the playerbase will like it.

Thoughs? And maybe I should just make a general "Moba" community topic, I like talking about what other games are trying.

Could work in Dota but roles are less defined, for example if someone searches for offlane they'd need to be matched with a team willing to tri-lane or jungle. I'd imagine it works a bit better in LoL since roles and lanes are more static

bounchfx

I like the idea behind it a lot, it's actually the one thing that Strife had that I was excited for, but... guess they don't have that going for them anymore. doh.

This is also probably my main concern about future/upcoming MOBA's. Any good ideas are most likely going to be immediately poached by either LoL or Dota (though most likely LoL), which isn't necessarily a bad thing but I think it will make it harder for new games to compete unless they are pretty drastically different. Running Dev cycles on games like this means pretty much any change can be patched in or added to the games at any time, which is cool, but again, kinda shitty for people trying to compete. I hope I'm wrong, though.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Pretty much, it's not a bad idea but that sort of features forces a game to be played in a certain way.

For LoL, I'm pretty sure the laning setup is no longer just the Meta, its part of the core design philosophy, and that Riot tries to crush any strategy that does't follow it.

While some employees of Riot claim not to enforce the meta, their balancing says otherwise.

Leezard

Gotta enforce dat meta

Actually if you are a team leader you can plan/use any strategy, not only the current meta. Double jungle, no jungle, strange things anywhere are legit. You just need to find someone who wants to play it. The team builder queue is static. Riot explained this in their thread on the matter.

I don't think this queue would work as well for Dota due to the heavy reliance of counter-picks. Also, this is only for blind pick.

elyetis

How about just a normal draft mode. You take turns like in the other draft modes, but all the heroes are open.
Well I do would like a CM-like queue where there is no captain, just each player can pick & ban 1 hero.

I don't have something against all pick in itself ( no hero banned, no turn ) but I hate the gold advantage random can give to a team & the fact you always endup with That teammate who random, then repick without even asking if someone want to swap, so now your team already begin with less gold the the ennemy team.

D

Deleted member 309291

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, I've been playing this game for the last weeks non-stop it's great (my first moba), and one thing that has stuck in my head is how brazilians have like a fetish or something with sniper, almost every other game there is a brazilian playing with him, first thing they do when the games starts: "br?" and is always that fucking sniper, is uncanny...

Edit: Maybe I have to get out of the trench

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
My favorite thing about the Spanish speakers is how there's always like 4 or 5 other people in the room. And there's always plates clanking around.

shira

My favorite thing about the Spanish speakers is how there's always like 4 or 5 other people in the room. And there's always plates clanking around.

The best is dog barking in the background, it made it seem like the dog was playing since we would ask a question and all we would hear is [woof woof]

D

Deleted member 309291

Unconfirmed Member
All of it truth, so now you can imagine my pain being in LA I get queued with them more than any human should, but it least I can comunicate with them, I'm still somewhat shit at this game ("only" 40hr) but it's amazing how shitty are the players from here, it's unbelievable, they do not even try...

Hylian7

Some Russian just added me and gave me 1 common/uncommon for each old Nature's Prophet, Invoker, and Jugg chest. I'm okay with this.

shira

Off to see GRAVITY on cheapie Tuesday as per Milk and Dreams strong recommendation. Apparently people I know are willing to see it a 2nd and even 3rd time. This better be the Spirit Breaker of movies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Some Russian just added me and gave me 1 common/uncommon for each old Nature's Prophet, Invoker, and Jugg chest. I'm okay with this.
The invoker cheats alone are worth about $.15 on the market each, all 3 are worth a decent amount. How many chests was it?

Edit: Invoker cheats go for $.50 each, other two are $.15 each now.

Hylian7

The invoker cheats alone are worth about $.15 on the market each, all 3 are worth a decent amount. How many chests was it?

Edit: Invoker cheats go for $.50 each, other two are $.15 each now.

Fuck! There were roughly 12 of each. Oh well, I'm not that upset about it.

BigAT

Tried selling something on the marketplace, got this error message:

"You are not allowed to sell this item. The Community Market might be temporarily disabled or your account might be restricted from using the Community Market."

Is there any way to resolve this? I can't think of any reason my account would be restricted and I never received any notice of that.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Tried selling something on the marketplace, got this error message:

"You are not allowed to sell this item. The Community Market might be temporarily disabled or your account might be restricted from using the Community Market."

Is there any way to resolve this? I can't think of any reason my account would be restricted and I never received any notice of that.

Restart Steam or use the web version.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
They took it out when the Chinese blood stone came out, since you could just delete it and get another blood stone. Should hopefully come back, or at least get a replacement.

They took it out when the Chinese blood stone came out, since you could just delete it and get another blood stone. Should hopefully come back, or at least get a replacement.

Crafting yo

And I thought it was just for that item, didn't know it got disabled completely. And I tried to sign up for the Perfect World account to do that whole thing, but it never sent me an email so I just gave up. Oh well.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Good lord All Pick really is the worst mode. Big surprise we lost to a team with Spirit Breaker and Troll Warlord, neither of which we knew we were going to face until we had made most of our picks

Haunted

I wonder why I can't sell some items on the market (got a rare Ogre Magi club last night). I thought they opened all the items up to be marketable.

Good lord All Pick really is the worst mode. Big surprise we lost to a team with Spirit Breaker and Troll Warlord, neither of which we knew we were going to face until we had made most of our picks
I've removed all pick from my search a while ago.

Random Draft (when solo) or Captains Draft (when in a stack) all the way.

I'd like something like an "All Draft" mode. Whole pool available, every player picks his own hero like in random draft + is allowed to be an enemy hero.

Haunted

This extended RoxKis vs Empire fight on BTS just now was the most insane thing I've seen in a while.

20 kills in ~5 minutes.

Boken

Banned
Forced metas? No thanks.

My thoughts exactly.

hi
kirby didnt read the whole article, but people should read the articles rather than take the neogaf posts on face value :)

but you basically queue as "mid laner" "offlaner" "jungler" "trilane support" "carry" "duo lane support"
or alternatively the system can use 1,2,3,4,5
or even -
1.2 Lane Support
1.3 Carry
1.4 Disabler
1.5 Ganker
1.6 Nuker
1.7 Initiator
1.8 Jungler
1.9 Pusher
1.10 Roamer
1.11 Durable
and a captain is selected and builds a team using the players that are currently in the global queue

the sole design requirement is that the queue selection needs to be flexible enough or fluid enough that the captain can pick the meta, and thats all you need.

you are all glossing over the fact the captain position + good design is a clever way to "not enforce the meta"

Anteo

Ehh.. I started playing Captian draft with a group of players I met on All Pick MM, I dont like it, I like to get my own picks/pick any hero/pick 10 seconds before the creepwave spawns.

Boken

Banned
But it clearly says it isn't forcing the meta, would riot lie?

hi
you didnt actually read the whole article, and people should read the articles rather than take the neogaf posts on face value :)

but you basically queue as "mid laner" "offlaner" "jungler" "trilane support" "carry" "duo lane support"
or alternatively the system can use 1,2,3,4,5
or even -
1.2 Lane Support
1.3 Carry
1.4 Disabler
1.5 Ganker
1.6 Nuker
1.7 Initiator
1.8 Jungler
1.9 Pusher
1.10 Roamer
1.11 Durable
and a captain is selected and builds a team using the players that are currently in the global queue

the sole design requirement is that the queue selection needs to be flexible enough or fluid enough that the captain can pick the meta, and thats all you need.

you are all glossing over the fact the captain position + good design is a clever way to "not enforce the meta"

Hylian7

Forced metas? No thanks.

Pretty much.

Part of the reason I love modes like All Random is you try to build interesting and new strategies out of what you are given. Same thing goes for single draft. Sure, you can get screwed over, but even then you try to make the best of it, and there are many times I've pulled out a win because we did the right strategy with what we had.

The person who made Dreams-Visions' Drow avatar has been reworking their stuff. Some of the noses look a bit weird, but some of the designs look pretty good.

New Drow:
tumblr_mt0nvrumWC1s5t317o1_1280.png

Boken

Banned
Pretty much.

Part of the reason I love modes like All Random is you try to build interesting and new strategies out of what you are given. Same thing goes for single draft. Sure, you can get screwed over, but even then you try to make the best of it, and there are many times I've pulled out a win because we did the right strategy with what we had.

hey look at this circle jerk still going on

also a case of HEY LOOK ITS CYBORG MATT I BETTER REPLY TO HIM smh

elyetis

Forced metas? No thanks.
It can easily be made into something actually pretty free. People choose their role, and select one ( or even better, multiple ) team composition(s) ( with ancient/jungle/hardlane/easylane/mid ( say with a support/carry/either variant for each )).
It actually wouldn't stop anyone from choosing a 5 jungle compo ( but enjoy the 2 month wait to find 4 other people who also wish to do that ).

Not saying it would cover every possible thing you would come up with in a 5 man premade in other more 'free' game mods, but it really could be far less restricted than most people seems to think. Even restricted I don't really see how it's bad to have more options, people could very well say "what ? all random ? Forced chaos ? no thanks".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom