• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like adding every set back to the store was intended and permanent

I wonder if they ran the numbers and found it more profitable to just keep them up there... except for 3 or 4 that are gone for some reason (peace bringer NP for example)

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I think there's some unwritten rule that if you lose a game with a Meepo on your team, it is his fault, even if it isn't his fault.

I mean, obviously no rule holds up 100% of the time, but I think Meepo's inherent weaknesses make it a more accurate sentiment than not. Picking a Meepo can really fuck the rest of your team over on farm and levels. You absolutely need that Meepo to be effective and if he's not I think the majority of the time it's fair to place some blame on him for the game going poorly.

Artanisix

So one thing I notice when I watch pros play on stream is that they always double tap the cour hotkey to go back to base when buying items. This seems odd to me as you don't need base vision to buy anything, just tap the hotkey once and buy items. That way you can keep watching your hero in case something should happen (like if you're mid buying something while staying in xp range).

I do this all the time.

I'm pretty sure it's just a relic of old time. You had to manually click on what shop you wanted to purchase items from in Dota 1, so it's kinda ingrained to move your camera back to the fountain to purchase your items if you've been doing it that way for so many years.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Can any hero in the game initiate and break up a 5v5 teamfight in your team's favor better than Clockwerk?

Hylian7

I mean, obviously no rule holds up 100% of the time, but I think Meepo's inherent weaknesses make it a more accurate sentiment than not. Picking a Meepo can really fuck the rest of your team over on farm and levels. You absolutely need that Meepo to be effective and if he's not I think the majority of the time it's fair to place some blame on him for the game going poorly.

http://dotabuff.com/matches/407876057

Bottom lane didn't go well and our weaver had nothing.

http://dotabuff.com/matches/407828415

Crystal Maiden

http://dotabuff.com/matches/406981635

Slark fed to hell and back.

Exuro

Saw this on reddit, you can apparently get a custom mouse pad for $.99 shipped though some artcow site. Even ships to Europe for $.99. More info here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/1rx10a/get_your_own_custom_dota2_mouse_pad_for_only_099/

I got one with this Rubick here, hope it will look nice once printed, some guy's Veno one looked like it had a major shift to blue:
Rubick-the-Grand-Magus-300x191.jpg

http://dotahdwallpaper.com/rubick-the-grand-magus/rubick-the-grand-magus/

I think someone said the coupon codes have somewhat limited uses, so if the guy's code doesn't work, this one should for a while:
Z099PLAYKJHXC
Does the red line depict the end of the actual mouse pad or will there be a white border around it?

edit:shoot you can only do this with one mouse pad?

Hylian7

I had to go away for a bit and missed some games, but I have to ask - do you ever buy a magic stick/wand?

If I'm against someone I think I need it for (Bat, Sky, etc.) otherwise no, I think it's a waste of money.\

Edit: I had to cut the stream because my internet started acting up with it on and gave me 300+ ping.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
How bad must you have to be at last hitting that you can't spare 4 CS for the lifesaving potential of a magic stick?

Hylian7

But why would I buy one against something like a solo Bloodseeker.

Also I've been called garbage for buying one at all too.

Sibylus

Banned
But why would I buy one against something like a solo Bloodseeker.

Also I've been called garbage for buying one at all too.
Because you're not going to be playing against that solo Bloodseeker for long. People roam, gank, teamfight, push, etc, and it's one of the best stat and active items for its cost in the game.

GorillaJu

The magic wand recipe is questionable in its value but magic stick is incredibly useful. There are some heroes who I don't want to spend the recipe money on, like QOP since playing her is essentially a race to get BKB in time.

im going to make my own dota rating site because apparently it doesnt have to work at all to make people pay attention to it because reasons

sell some dating ads on there

free money

I bought the star series ticket and won my first rare watching it, says I watched 7 games today (left it on auto play) but only 4 show up on their recent games from today? Where are the other 3?

DrSlek

Remember the Ursa alpine set, and how it's really valuable now?

I wonder if the same thing will happen to the Drow shadowcat set? i'm thinking about hedging my bets and buying it despite its horridness.

When should you go for Magic wand vs just a stick?
I look if I have 3 branches and just get it to free up space instead of littering because that's bad.
Remember the Ursa alpine set, and how it's really valuable now?

I wonder if the same thing will happen to the Drow shadowcat set? i'm thinking about hedging my bets and buying it despite its horridness.
Everyone already bought it and people stopped complaining so it's not going to be removed at this point.

ElyrionX

I used to think Magic Wand/Stick is shit but I've come around to it recently. Not only will it save your life, it also helps to secure kills if you happen to run out of mana in a fight. It also provides a very nice transition from early game branches. I buy it on virtually all heroes I play now.

Because PL is a mediocre Carry and bad at everything else.

Like Riki, his shtick is pretty easily countered by people who know what they're doing- he can pubstomp well but in pro he gets shut down easily

Glad to see my boy Bane doing so well

What. Decent early escape mechanism and decent early nuke, both of which helps in the transition to early to mid game. Good farming ability. And super hard to kill when farmed. How is he a mediocre carry? He doesn't even need that much farm to start contributing. Once you get Diffusal, Yasha and Heart, you're already a force to be reckoned with.

BeesEight

What. Decent early escape mechanism and decent early nuke, both of which helps in the transition to early to mid game. Good farming ability. And super hard to kill when farmed. How is he a mediocre carry? He doesn't even need that much farm to start contributing. Once you get Diffusal, Yasha and Heart, you're already a force to be reckoned with.

Probably because he's a very hard carry and none of them are particularly trendy right now with the more aggressive/push oriented line-ups. His early teamfight contribution is pretty negligible since his illusions are like kittens without the health from a heart and he doesn't have any aoe to help with early engagements.

Most of us only play pubs, though, and passive farming is really good against unco-ordinated teams. Downside is having to rely on four other people to not throw the game in the thirty minutes it takes to start coming online since PL isn't really going to help out with many ganks or fights.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

Well you kinda said it yourself. Requires heart + diffusal + yasha to contribute anything. Subpar strength gain and an escape ability that is completely countered by dust. Very little lane presence unless placed with KOTL. Most games end earlier now and he relies on a 40+ minute game.

Basically, old PL (when he was decent) required KOTL if you wanted to pick him in competitive. Well, KOTL got nerfed, and then PL got nerfed, and then tranqs got nerfed (tranqs was the best thing ever for PL since he doesn't benefit that much from any of the other boots outside of travels--which is expensive and usually bought late, they also covered up his awful early game, making it so he could jungle freely and never have to go back to well early on). And tadda, he's pretty garbo now! Look at what that reddit QQ did to SB and warlock as well, this is why you put very little weight into pub whining when balancing--Icefrog's been caving in too much lately.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Uh, Warlock was mostly buffed the last patch IMO, with Fatal Bonds reacting more consistently, and Upheaval made better. His ult was nerfed in a few ways, the biggest thing that hurts is the increase mana cost on his ult at higher levels ( from 200/250/300 to 200/300/400), I don't think the loss of the 100 damage impact is that major. The Golem even got more armor, making it harder to kill.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Uh, Warlock was mostly buffed the last patch IMO, with Fatal Bonds reacting more consistently, and Upheaval made better. His ult was nerfed in a few ways, the biggest thing that hurts is the increase mana cost on his ult at higher levels ( from 200/250/300 to 200/300/400), I don't think the loss of the 100 damage impact is that major. The Golem even got more armor, making it harder to kill.

That's all well and good but that 100 damage was huge, especially when you take into account fatal bonds and the fact that the golem radius itself is gigantic and will hit nearly everyone on the enemy team most fights. I

Nirvana

Untill you go against an Ember with 3 BFs, big crits and a divine. Rampage city

Happened to us last night, we got rekt. Nearly won the base race, but no dice.

I have to say though, playing the hero as a hard, hard carry is probably not the best. I think if you want to go battlefury, you basically need to go phase-drum first, because he has such shitty stat gain and battlefury doesn't give you anything that useful in its build up. If you are hard carrying I think it's a decent build, but you're likely better off getting maelstrom, since it allows you to be effective midgame and if the game goes late, you can get crit etc. and still do great damage.

Diffusal blade still kills warlock golems, right?
That really rains on my parade when I play 'lock
I think it kills all summons/illusions except for the LD bear.

In regards to PL I always liked the Tranqs/Drums/Diffusal/Manta build. You at least had some HP outside of Heart which means you could teamfight earlier if you were careful.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Happened to us last night, we got rekt. Nearly won the base race, but no dice.

I have to say though, playing the hero as a hard, hard carry is probably not the best. I think if you want to go battlefury, you basically need to go phase-drum first, because he has such shitty stat gain and battlefury doesn't give you anything that useful in its build up. If you are hard carrying I think it's a decent build, but you're likely better off getting maelstrom, since it allows you to be effective midgame and if the game goes late, you can get crit etc. and still do great damage.
You have odd early laning (depending on Shield/Bolo or SoF build) then pick your early game items (phase / arcane / drums / maelstrom / deso / BF) and go to town mid game killing everyone, then fall off, then if you do get some gold become really fucking obnoxious with 1+ BF, deso (or skadi), and a crit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom