• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

So will forcing #prostrats on Trench Doto.
So true. Some of the worst games I've been in (when not solo queuing) were ones in which more experienced people forced trilanes on players who were simply not knowledgeable enough to properly execute. Needless to say, these almost always ended badly.

It doesn't matter if you think that the draft calls for a trilane instead of the regular 2-1-2 setup, if you don't have players capable of playing in a trilane, you're better off putting them into regular laning situations. In the trench people are also often better off playing heroes they are familiar with, even if they're not top tier material (hello Sniper).

Nymerio

So true. Some of the worst games I've been in (when not solo queuing) were ones in which more experienced people forced trilanes on players who were simply not knowledgeable enough to properly execute. Needless to say, these almost always ended badly.

It doesn't matter if you think that the draft calls for a trilane instead of the regular 2-1-2 setup, if you don't have players capable of playing in a trilane, you're better off putting them into regular laning situations. In the trench people are also often better off playing heroes they are familiar with, even if they're not top tier material (hello Sniper).

Yeah I hate this as well. My friend wants to do the whole pro thing all the time and I keep telling him it doesn't make any sense if no one can play. Like he plays bounty hunter and spends endless amounts of time blocking their jungle camps when they don't even pull or jungle and he's so underleveled he can't do anything. And then you have people who think tri-laning is when one hero hits creeps and the other two stand around or just attack them as well.

Hylian7

Even if you are low level, you should always be prepared to switch the lanes up if you have to. If you are running 2-1-2 and the other team runs an aggressive trilane against your carry, and your dual lane there definitely can't handle it, then you have a few options:

A. Bring someone else from the other lane and turn it into a trilane.
B. If you have a solo that can survive against it, trilane the other lane and kill their likely solo carry.
C. 4-5 man smoke and kill them. You may not even need smoke.
D. Abandon the lane.

I can definitely see why you shouldn't necessarily trilane if players on your team aren't comfortable with it, but there are some situations where you just have to anyway.

And if you are captain with people you don't know, ask them before you pick something. Talk through why you pick or ban stuff, preferably over voice if you can (if you set your voice hotkey to mouse 4 or mouse 5, it will work during picking). If they don't answer, go with safer/easier hero. Don't pick Chen for that silent guy just because you need a support and jungler.

Nirvana

Just had a really rough game. They had a brood and a PL. I went mid against the PL and absolutely stomped him, but our other lanes were going terribly due to batrider and Drow last picks when we had no supports. I couldn't really gank due to our awful lanes and brood pushing to our tier 2 and nobody contesting her. I ended up sitting on her for a bit to stop her pushing to the base and then our Drow spent the rest of the game split pushing while we 4v5ed and lost.

Solo queuing can be fairly soul destroying, in case you guys didn't know.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Friends gather round, for a story of dota in the land of solo queue AP.

After losing twice and getting a pity win from Valve in 5 man CD, I wanted to end the night with some Earth Spirit. Our win wasn't fulfilling and we played passively to cement our advantage. ES is fun, and for some reason has a terrible pub win-rate. He's not even hard to play really. Whatever the case he's extremely fun to play even if you are losing, there's always something you can be doing.

1) Who's mid?
'Drow you should go mid'
...I lane vs OD as ES.

If you lane mid vs OD I think you can choose either to get your Q or E to rank 3 so you can harass damage more, or move him with your combo (E). Because with 1 point in stun I couldn't combo due to Astral as I found out many times.

Still, he can't Astral me if I silence him with the rock, or only last hit when I'm on high ground, or with rock pulls. I do well... at least for a few levels when I'm left with a constant 40-100 mana.

P7QL7DN.png

2)Why?
This is going to be one of those games isn't it? LS went jungle to leave Drow solo top vs 2. He has no points in rage and has almost treads? Not sure why he has blades of attack and a gloves of haste at base.
K4vDNgB.jpg

3)WE HAD A GOOD RUN
First rax down in low 20's, I had to buyback so we didn't lose 2 sets of rax, massive kill and tower deficit. 6 towers down + rax and we hadn't even taken any of their T1's.
8SzOq7V.jpg

4)The happening
Pugna DC's. This gives our team a small bit of hope. I think Wisp has used overcharge like one time and Drow I think never used her passive to push any time in the entire game, LS and me have made amends thanks to a gank or two. They try to take our mid rax 4v5. They don't.

IKoilwv.jpg

Drow silences Brew, Spectre ults, I 2 man stun and ult and roll.
LS pops out of me to hit everyone and I kick him towards the already fleeing remaining 2.
We wipe 3 of them in about 3 seconds without any loss. Mid rax defended.
25ObaQD.jpg

5)Ascension
An out of position SF pays the price and our top is easily defended. Pugna is back, but it doesn't matter. We've picked off a few towers, but still have to defend 2 lanes from megas.
PSp333k.jpg

6)Shit gets real
t12pHon.png

We keep finding farm and Wisp+LS with BoT's on everyone else help save anyone who gets picked off, still our T4's get picked off an our Ancient takes some damage.

4DfqpmB.jpg

7)ITS HAPPENING

Spectre and Drow come online. It's even.
xXiDIiD.jpg

I become unkillable. A fear machine composed of imbalanced instant stuns and savior of overextenders. Also we tie up rax numbers.
BTXQ2gO.jpg

8)YOU COULD HAVE STOPPED IT
Well. We won. We fucking did it. I commended everyone. I'm still 7-0 on Earth Spirit.
p6qq2IF.jpg

Epilogue: They didn't find enough farm when we had to cower and SF built blink and force staff before any major damage items came online for him. Even with 3 blinks they never initiated well as a team and the silences really hurt. Sniper was kind of stupid.
I'm tired. ES is still insanely fun.
Nothing like pulling an ally to high ground safety then silencing 3 chasing heroes and breaking the Life Drain 50 hp from kilingl Drow (only to have her run face first into mega creeps and die to auto attacks).
DB for reference
I'm 139-105 now

Gotta agree with the Pugna in the last screenshot there (but also including him.)

Skadi + Vanguard Brew, no Aghs (when he clearly had the farm for it since he picked up a fucking Skadi.)

Blink, Phase, Soul Ring Pugna. Blink less questionable, but still - what's he gonna do with the blink? Not like he had a Hex.

OD Aghs.

And SF not necessarily bad, but squishy build with no BKB when clearly it was needed, especially in a 62 minute game. Same deal with Sniper.

GG though, nice comeback.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yeah it's easy to see in retrospect, but we were getting wrecked and our lanes were pretty stupid. Even when we took fights we couldn't really do anything until their respawns crept up so much since we had so much lane pressure. We warded much better as well to see their movements and capitalize on them with me, LS+Wisp and Spectre ult any time we saw 2 or 3 alone or too far away.

I'll add that I went Power Treads -> Vanguard because I felt like I was going to have to do some lifting. Usually it's something else. It's really nice that you can just whatever you want on ES. I wanted some armor and Shiva's debuff which I felt was a pretty good option. Hex was probably a better option.
If I had more early money woulda gone blademail, but felt I needed to go straight towards heart. Damage, survive, and tank megas. Vanguard helped here a lot to defend 2 lanes as well.

Also:
umHMLEZ.png

Haunted

Even if you are low level, you should always be prepared to switch the lanes up if you have to. If you are running 2-1-2 and the other team runs an aggressive trilane against your carry, and your dual lane there definitely can't handle it, then you have a few options:

A. Bring someone else from the other lane and turn it into a trilane.
B. If you have a solo that can survive against it, trilane the other lane and kill their likely solo carry.
C. 4-5 man smoke and kill them. You may not even need smoke.
D. Abandon the lane.

I can definitely see why you shouldn't necessarily trilane if players on your team aren't comfortable with it, but there are some situations where you just have to anyway.

And if you are captain with people you don't know, ask them before you pick something. Talk through why you pick or ban stuff, preferably over voice if you can (if you set your voice hotkey to mouse 4 or mouse 5, it will work during picking). If they don't answer, go with safer/easier hero. Don't pick Chen for that silent guy just because you need a support and jungler.
If you're mentioning Chen picks, coordinated smoke ganks and spontaneously switching up lanes based on how the game is progressing, we're definitely not talking about the same sort of "low level" here.

:lol

Nirvana

I feel like Blink isn't needed. You should be at full stock rocks most of the time unless you have some very scrappy or long engagements. For a 24 minute slaughter that's fine though :p
Force Staff is great since you can use it mid roll as well.

Haha yeah, blink was a 'we just stomped and i have 2000 gold what should I buy?' kind of item, ya know?

Nymerio

If you're mentioning Chen picks, coordinated smoke ganks and spontaneously switching up lanes based on how the game is progressing, we're definitely not talking about the same sort of "low level" here.

:lol

Man switching lanes must be a sacrilege or something for some of the people in my bracket. I was playing kotl once in bot lane when both our players in top lane died and the tower was being pushed. So i ported up to clear the creeps. I was instantly pinged to death and told to leave the lane. Smoke has to be least bought item ever.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Man switching lanes must be a sacrilege or something for some of the people in my bracket. I was playing kotl once in bot lane when both our players in top lane died and the tower was being pushed. So i ported up to clear the creeps. I was instantly pinged to death and told to leave the lane. Smoke has to be least bought item ever.
I told a kotl to trade with someone else to just spam horses at their tri-lane since our offlaner was getting 0 farm. Immediately after he TP'd he got a double kill. Lanes worked a lot better after that.

Also just buy smokes if the game warrants it. Easy 100 gold and as long as you get 1 other person or you can help gank it can be worth it.

I've turned at least 2 games in recent memory around with a smoke when we were losing. Full 5 man wipe with no losses can really help swing a lost game.

Nymerio

Yeah, I have to start buying smoke myself. But I'm actually in the bracket where people pick lifestealer, magnus and pudge and then tell me: "pick a carry. another melee strength would be good"

shira

I told a kotl to trade with someone else to just spam horses at their tri-lane since our offlaner was getting 0 farm. Immediately after he TP'd he got a double kill. Lanes worked a lot better after that.

Also just buy smokes if the game warrants it. Easy 100 gold and as long as you get 1 other person or you can help gank it can be worth it.

I've turned at least 2 games in recent memory around with a smoke when we were losing. Full 5 man wipe with no losses can really help swing a lost game.

I don't know why they just don't make them free. Like wtf is the difference with the gold changes. Supports can easily afford them & they are limited by the refresh.

Open it up for garbage tier to experiment.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I love it when I get a Kaolin on my team and he goes to lane and dumps his entire stash of rocks like he's about to play pinball.

rugioh

Banned
I don't know how you can handle playing support in trenches. When I first got DOTA 2 I tried playing supports but it was a miserable experience. I then defaulted to playing carries/mid heroes to get myself out of the trench asap. Now I can play support if I want to even if I am not even good at it, at least I know someone on my team can actually use my support and not put it to waste.

A 4 carry team in trenches has about the same chance as a 1-2 support team. In fact bad support players just end up feeding a lot at lower levels.

How do you go about getting sufficient farm in these 4-5 carry games down in the low brackets? It seems like I'm always fighting my teammates for cs, and the opponents in the lane just aa our creeps down so they push down our tower quickly. Either that or they abandon the lane and try to 5man the mid/offlane T1. I feel like once they start 5-manning I can't farm fast enough to come online before they've taken enough towers to overcome my farm. If I leave my lane to try and defend the towers then I end up being underfarmed over the long term anyway, so we're still in a compromised position.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
How do you go about getting sufficient farm in these 4-5 carry games down in the low brackets? It seems like I'm always fighting my teammates for cs, and the opponents in the lane just aa our creeps down so they push down our tower quickly. Either that or they abandon the lane and try to 5man the mid/offlane T1. I feel like once they start 5-manning I can't farm fast enough to come online before they've taken enough towers to overcome my farm. If I leave my lane to try and defend the towers then I end up being underfarmed over the long term anyway, so we're still in a compromised position.
Play Lycan or Ursa. Jungle, get Vlads, smoke to rosh, buy necro/manta, solo kill everyone and push lanes. SOLO DOTO

rugioh

Banned
Play Lycan or Ursa. Jungle, get Vlads, smoke to rosh, buy necro/manta, solo kill everyone and push lanes. SOLO DOTO

Well sure I could jungle or play mid.. but isn't there a way to learn how to farm a safelane carry to some extent in the cardboard brackets solo?

Nirvana

Well sure I could jungle or play mid.. but isn't there a way to learn how to farm a safelane carry to some extent in the cardboard brackets solo?

Unfortunately most of the time you just have to wait for your team to pick and then pick the only support in the game. Then it's your job to get shit done.

Failing that, enjoy your high ground, set up a soap box and bitch on Neogaf about how you have to solo support all the time. That's what I do anyway :(

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

Just be better at farming than they are. The kind of people who pick a 4th or 5th carry are usually not all that good anyway.

Zeth

I just need to get the idea out of my head that I need to pick a hard support when I'm last and my team went full agi-carry. I can still outfarm all of them with a decent ganker hero and make shit happen. I also need to stop being heartbroken when I see my lane-mate immediately auto-attacking the lane creeps at :30 and say "fuck it". The other scrub team is most likely doing the same, might as well push their towers. I'm building a solid base of pusher/ganker heroes who excel in cardboard-tier.

shira

Vici Gaming confirmed for EMS One.

Damn this is going to be good

Navi, Alliance, Vici
Sigma, Fnatic
Startale, One, Mouz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom