• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow that's big, I came here actually expecting many people crying about it, since I remember so many people defending Valve choice not to show any MMR. Luckily once Valve actually do it, opinions seems to change.. can't wait for the same thing to happen with surrended.

Now give me techies and I will finaly play the game again.

I still think MMR is at best pointless and at worst deletorious to the game. Maybe Valve will prove me wrong with their implementation, but I'll wait and see.

Nymerio

I'm really interested in how you'd calculate such a rating. There's so many variables it seems impossible to come up with one number. You have a hundred heroes with multiple roles that can synergize with each other in different ways and then you also have to acknowledge that you sometimes have to improvise in terms of skill and item choice. K/D also doesn't tell the whole story.

What I'd find interesting are ratings for different aspects of the game like farming, ganking, supporting, etc. Would be cool if there was an easy way for players to rank each other after a game is over.

The thing about Dota style games is in reality you'd need to know the exact heroes and roles everyone will play to get a truly even game. I could be a high MMR player but that doesn't mean I can't be terrible at certain roles and heroes

The Koreans seem to actually be pretty good, impressive

Sibylus

Banned
Tentatively, the restrictions seem like they would solve my main issue with MMR visibility (that of idiots on one's team bitching about it instead of playing the game). Could be useful on my end to see how I improve over time, the end. That's how it should be.

So the friday before the last major update they made the big post about Diretide, pretty late at night.

Now we get a big post about matchmaking on a friday night, again, pretty late.

This seems kind of deliberate. Make a blog post really late before a weekend, the week before the big update. It seems to be optimum for building hype I guess.

pompidu

So I adjusted my gameplay a little bit. Can some one gauge to see how well I did? Any outside input would be great. I'm at the top of the list.

Pai2Xaq.jpg

Sibylus

Banned
First win coincided with building a Force Staff as one of my first items. Troll science or legitimate desperation? Stay tuned.

So I adjusted my gameplay a little bit. Can some one gauge to see how well I did? Any outside input would be great. I'm at the top of the list.

Pai2Xaq.jpg

Don't get Vangaurd on Viper. It's iffy enough on most melee heroes, it's simply not cost-effective on ranged. If you want some durability, buy a Mek. Especially since no one else on the team appeared to be building for one.

If you really need to shut down enemy rightclickers, build an Aghanims quickly.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

Pai2Xaq.jpg

You didn't feed, which by default makes you the best player on your team that particular game. Good job.

Really tho, how the eff does QoP die 22 times in a game without feeding intentionally???

BeesEight

First win coincided with building a Force Staff as one of my first items. Troll science or legitimate desperation? Stay tuned.

Still doing the A-Z challenge?

I thought after I cleared Chen things would pick up until the inevitable Meepo bump.

Was FNATIC this good last year? Seems like they really improved their team game.

Fnatic had a brief period in early 2013 where they looked really strong, but the team had other commitments which caused their performance to drop a lot. They rebounded for TI3 but started struggling again soon after but 6.79 has seen them probably in their best ever form

pompidu

Don't get Vangaurd on Viper. It's iffy enough on most melee heroes, it's simply not cost-effective on ranged. If you want some durability, buy a Mek. Especially since no one else on the team appeared to be building for one.

If you really need to shut down enemy rightclickers, build an Aghanims quickly.

Will try that and see how those items go.

You didn't feed, which by default makes you the best player on your team that particular game. Good job.

Really tho, how the eff does QoP die 22 times in a game without feeding intentionally???

I tried to save that person a dozen times but they always seemed to walk into trouble. Must have been new.

M.D

How do you get your items on D2L? I add the bot, he sends me a msg telling me the code and to trade with him only if the code is the same, but then removes me from the friend's list

It still says "bot is almost ready. Wait a sec..." on the website

brentech

How do you get your items on D2L? I add the bot, he sends me a msg telling me the code and to trade with him only if the code is the same, but then removes me from the friend's list

It still says "bot is almost ready. Wait a sec..." on the website

you have to be a little quick to accept the trade or they'll move on to next person in q

Sibylus

Banned
Still doing the A-Z challenge?

I thought after I cleared Chen things would pick up until the inevitable Meepo bump.
Nah, not the A-Z challenge. I'm doing 10 games of playing as or with Drow in Limited Heroes bracket, indulging a completionist urge to fill out the training map.

2-4! Guess I'll be doing this conservative frost-silence-stats -> phase boots -> force staff build until I hit 10.

brentech

Added one, he invited me for a trade but didn't put any items and then told me I was AFK lol

I'll just keep trying I guess

are you doing it through the My Bets page, that tells you a particular bot has x% of your items?

Sometimes even if it says 100% they won't actually trade you all items back at once, but I've never had an issue getting my stuff unless their server is overwelmed

Dahbomb

I have been trying to do the Limited Pool matches since it was released and I always cancel out because it takes over half an hour to find opponents in that mode. I still haven't graduated from training mode.

M.D

are you doing it through the My Bets page, that tells you a particular bot has x% of your items?

Sometimes even if it says 100% they won't actually trade you all items back at once, but I've never had an issue getting my stuff unless their server is overwelmed

I did it from that page, but tried a couple of different bots until one finally worked, got my (pretty crappy) rares :)

I just watched a team with a Luna and an Anti Mage get wrecked by a team with an Earthshaker carry with 2 Daedalus and a Battle Fury

He 1 shot everyone.. that shit is legit ;p

Artanisix

RMM eh?

I talked briefly about this in mumble, but my personal picks for the version are solidifying with Kaolin, Bristleback, and Ancient Apparition. Bristleback is especially underappreciated. I probably won't touch AP Ranked so no worries about having to instapick Kaolin every game.

SamVimes

RMM eh?

I talked briefly about this in mumble, but my personal picks for the version are solidifying with Kaolin, Bristleback, and Ancient Apparition. Bristleback is especially underappreciated. I probably won't touch AP Ranked so no worries about having to instapick Kaolin every game.

Any chance of using the new ranking to revive the ihl so the teams gets more balanced and people on the losing side have less to bitch about?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Valve would have to put in a "Balance by Ranked" button.

(And people will still complain)

Artanisix

Any chance of using the new ranking to revive the ihl so the teams gets more balanced and people on the losing side have less to bitch about?

Possibly. I'm still waiting for Phoenix to release in Dota 2 though.

Also it'd require every member of IHL to befriend me on Steam so I can confirm their MMR, which might not make everyone happy.

SamVimes

Possibly. I'm still waiting for Phoenix to release in Dota 2 though.

Also it'd require every member of IHL to befriend me on Steam so I can confirm their MMR, which might not make everyone happy.

Alternatively just post a screenshot of the current mmr? I don't think people would be so petty to try and get that kind of advantage on a neogaf ihl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom