• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViviOggi

Quick question. Tried out Death Prophet for the first time and boy was she fun to play. Ulti just wrecks. Has DP always been this good or did it get buffed in the most recent patch?

Exorcism Spirit damage increased from 43-48 to 53-58
So she's been buffed, although the ghosts were fucking terrifying before already. It's just that nobody noticed because nobody played her.

The Liquipedia has a version history for every hero and item btw.

manfestival

Sometimes I get on mic and start calling people inappropriate things. However, I never use the word noob. I do get annoyed by peruvians, russians, and chinese. HOWEVER, that is only in dota 2 cause im a very loving person outside of this game.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Sometimes I get on mic and start calling people inappropriate things. However, I never use the word noob.

Imagine if you tried playing the game as hard as you're trying to be cool on gaf right now, you could win some prize money.

Razzer

Sometimes I get on mic and start calling people inappropriate things. However, I never use the word noob. I do get annoyed by peruvians, russians, and chinese. HOWEVER, that is only in dota 2 cause im a very loving person outside of this game.

Well gang, I think we got to the bottom of this mystery! It was old man manfestival being rude to people and them reporting him all along!

manfestival

Imagine if you tried playing the game as hard as you're trying to be cool on gaf right now, you could win some prize money.

I am not trying to be cool on gaf. There is no way that I could be cool here. However, I used to be pretty good at league of legends. Now if I play league, it's only to play dominion(I love dominion)

Artanisix

that may be why you are muted

just a hunch tho

Sibylus

Banned
With all this talk of mist and wraith kings, one could be forgiven for suspecting there's a legion commander double date in the works.

Demoli

Timber is hella broken yo. Ridiculous how hard you can snowball with a pre 20 mins BS. Them having 4 Str heroes with no lockdown also helped a lot.

Also, their furion was so bad, absolute no gamesense and kept trying to Sprout-TP out of me.

Tinker next, at leas tthat'll warm my fingers in the current weather.

bounchfx

oh man, I would absolutely love to see 2-3 new characters again. Really itching to play Legion commander, plus Winter Wyvern would be perfect for this, no?

I'm assuming wed/thurs this year will bring us the event, and I really, really hope it's the holdout mode that was rumored.
plus 50 item chests and 20 sets and all 3 of my couriers finally

oh man, I would absolutely love to see 2-3 new characters again. Really itching to play Legion commander, plus Winter Wyvern would be perfect for this, no?

I'm assuming wed/thurs this year will bring us the event, and I really, really hope it's the holdout mode that was rumored.
plus 50 item chests and 20 sets and all 3 of my couriers finally

It will be Thursday.

Probably.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Oh, so thats why milk was yelling at demon last night.

Ikku got so many down in that topic, sitting at -35.

So not only did milk get scammed, it was live on both demon's stream and salty dota.

IceMarker

Test client Wednesday, release on Thursday? Same as Three Spirits.

Day 2 tomorrow, Day 3 Wednesday with changelog, teaser for release on Thursday?

I mean usually when Valve gives us an update this early in the week on a Monday, doesn't it usually mean they have extra days to tease us to the release of the same week. I remember last years Frostivus being the same schedule.

ReRixo

Banned
how do you guys get better? do you just mm all day? in house games seem like a good idea but gaf's are always really late (gmt), where else can I find in houses?

Boken

Banned
how do you guys get better? do you just mm all day? in house games seem like a good idea but gaf's are always really late (gmt), where else can I find in houses?

inhouses teach you nothing

its just an environment for high tier gaf to feed on the low tier gaf on the opposing side and then duke it out with 5 rapiers

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
More like, training for that Solo RMM -CM queue.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
streaming some solo queue cm because i'm a masochist @ www.twitch.tv/jwongismyhero
pHJxWp4.png

ReRixo

Banned
inhouses teach you nothing

its just an environment for high tier gaf to feed on the low tier gaf on the opposing side and then duke it out with 5 rapiers

yeah but I find playing against high tier players helps my positioning at least, as you get punished way harder for mistakes. you get away with so much when playing shit tier mm.

Haly

First lesson regarding Boken: Never listen to Boken.

I wouldn't say IHs are the best of places to learn how to play but you do learn a lot of things you wouldn't learn otherwise in solo-q, like how to tri-lane, CM (if we're doing tryhard games), roaming, moving as a group, warding and counterwarding, clashing, etc. And you can see first hand how some heroes are supposed to be played like tSwiftx's Windrunner and Procarbine's Middernaut.

Although sometimes we goof around a lot and that's fun too!

Boken

Banned
First lesson regarding Boken: Never listen to Boken.

I wouldn't say IHs are the best of places to learn how to play but you do learn a lot of things you wouldn't learn otherwise in solo-q, like how to tri-lane, CM (if we're doing tryhard games), roaming, moving as a group, warding and counterwarding, clashing, etc. And you can see first hand how some heroes are supposed to be played like tSwiftx's Windrunner and Procarbine's Middernaut.

Although sometimes we goof around a lot and that's fun too!

NEVERRRR BUY KEEEEEEYS

wud you gamble in real life?
LOL. You're right, I don't.
look at that shining recommendation

youre just confirming my bias against IH's anyway. they're not a huge learning environment, theres a lot of mucking around (if ur into dat) and unbalanced teams sometimes and 1 man carries. of course i was exaggerating and its possible to learn some things, but even critically thinking while doing MM is more productive.

@rerixo -
LOTS: 70% go practice in MM.
SOME:watching a high tier game in player perspective or a stream of an educational player.
LESS: reading dem guides 1v1ing fools
this is for sure the best way.

Swig_

Are unusual essences good for anything outside of Greevil Eggs? I have had one since last year, but I'm wondering if I should just sell it.

Haly

There's a lot of things you can't learn from just passively watching, and pubs can't really execute any strat beyond 2-1-2 or 1-1-2-Jungle. Usually when they try to break away from that such as 1-1-2-Roam, 1-1-3, etc, it just falls on its face and you wind up frustrated instead of actually learning anything.

If you can't find a group of experienced 4 (experienced being the keyword), playing in an IH where these unusual strats are used is the next best thing.

Also, in my personal experience I learn far more from playing with or against a certain hero played by a good player than any amount of watching someone play that in a stream, because I actually have to pay attention to my surroundings in game.

Boken

Banned
There's a lot of things you can't learn from just passively watching, and pubs can't really execute any strat beyond 2-1-2 or 1-1-2-Jungle. Usually when they try to break away from that such as 1-1-2-Roam, 1-1-3, etc, it just falls on its face and you wind up frustrated instead of actually learning anything.

If you can't find a group of experienced 4 (experienced being the keyword), playing in an IH where these unusual strats are used is the next best thing.

Also, in my personal experience I learn far more from playing with or against a certain hero played by a good player than any amount of watching someone play that in a stream, because I actually have to pay attention to my surroundings in game.

yeah i hear what youre saying but youre already a higher tier player so its a different story

for low or mid tiers, playing against a person who is vastly better than them + having to pay attention to their surroundings is over stimulation since "paying attention" has a higher unit cost to less experienced players
learning varying strats is a good point, but i think low/mids are better off gaining deeper a understanding + practicing mechanics and developing game sense. Plus, stacking is more suited to that kind of experience.

Haly

I wasn't always higher tier you know. I used to be a scrub and most of DOTA2/HoNGAF were way better than me.

I was like 1600s, tops, in HoN. Neki was better than me even if he could only play one hero.

Boken

Banned
yeah but its like so you can barely swim now im gonna throw you into the pool while making you balance a ball on ur nose u get what im sayin

perhaps our real conclusion is that there are different ways of learning and you choose the one that suits you
-deep end vs incremental

Haly

yeah but its like so you can barely swim now im gonna throw you into the pool while making you balance a ball on ur nose u get what im sayin

perhaps our real conclusion is that there are different ways of learning and you choose the one that suits you
-deep end vs incremental

Can't know which one works unless you try both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom