• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trasher

I agree with Haly, it hurts but getting your shit handed to you in IH can really help out. Like bokr said, those of us that came from HoNGAF got beat on by Meeru, Loki, Thor, and Kag in IHL. You get to see the effects of their gameplay directly, and listening to/being directed by an experienced player when they're on your team helps tremendously. Meanwhile milk, 109, and swift were slogging it out in inhouse leagues in dota1, subject to the tyranny of vicious, visage picking captains.

Finding a player or group of players significantly better than yourself and tagging along is easily the fastest way to improve.

A long time ago I posted about this, but I think dota, maybe the genre, is one of the more difficult games to get good advice about or information on. As you get better and better you see that things you thought were good or effective are actually terrible, and things you wrote off can be very important. When you play with randoms you get exposed to tons of people at different levels with very different ideas about what's good and bad, so it can be very hard to sort out the useful information and apply it to yourself. Additional problems come from each match being very unique, for example the right item for one game might be useless in the next. So I guess the best advice I can give is don't cement yourself in to one idea, look at what other people do and think about it before accepting or dismissing it.

Meeru? MEERU?! You kidding me?!

Kid sucked even with maphacks. I loved beating his ass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80G0ABjfP_Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=700m3A8itmg

M.D

Timber is hella broken yo. Ridiculous how hard you can snowball with a pre 20 mins BS. Them having 4 Str heroes with no lockdown also helped a lot.

Also, their furion was so bad, absolute no gamesense and kept trying to Sprout-TP out of me.

Tinker next, at leas tthat'll warm my fingers in the current weather.

My favorite hero, not just from a gameplay prespective but also voice acting.. sometimes I just listen to his entire voice track cause its so damn funny ;p

BTW, I meant to ask this but forget
My last Timber game - my friend was playing Tiny and all our lanes were getting destryoed and killed.
I was doing better offlane, then started moving around and got a bunch of kills and we got Tiny time to farm.

The thing I didn't agree with him on was getting Manta first instead of a BKB, which he got later on.
He thought it would be good for the Omnislash, but I thought getting a BKB at the point he got the Manta would mean we could force fights because only Jugg and Tinker were were farmed at that point.
Do you guys think BKB first would've been the right choice? Looking back, I might have needed as well

http://dotabuff.com/matches/414863169

ViviOggi

I got upset at PL, don't blame me. I got him nerfed. Also I don't like SB anymore.
I'll get ES nerfed too

Get Xin nerfed and I'll be impressed.

chansub-global-emoticon-8eed21805f6217ce-27x29.png

ElyrionX

I usually stack with guys who play in High tier (when you could still see skill brackets in the past) and I usually can hold my own as a carry, support and even mid (I'm still working on my offlane heroes). But the other day, I played with some Very High guys in a 5 stack in pubs and got absolutely wrecked by a 3+2 stack. I was CM supporting Kunkka in safe lane against EmS and EaS. The EaS wrecked balls the moment he hit level 3 with some insane initiation. It was probably the hardest fucking game I have ever played.

How many of you guys in here actually play in Very High?

Dahbomb

Who is the most snowbally hero? I am starting to think it is Luna. Also, Luna is the best <3
Most snowball hero is probably Shadow Fiend. When he starts rolling he rolls hard but when he gets rolled on it also snowballs out of control and he becomes a consistent feeder.

Wok

How many of you guys in here actually play in Very High?

I must be playing in very very hard mode: a two-people Radiant team can win every teamfight against my five-people team, I see some Pudge+Venomancer combo mid pushing hard both the towers and trying to get first blood, etc. I want to lower the difficulty a bit, but I cannot find the trigger in the settings.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Here are some stats on leavers:
7ZkDEM3.png

It seems only about 1/30 games ends with someone abandoning the game. The second line, Dota_Leaver_Disconnected, is for all those people who leave like a minute before the acient explodes and not actually abandoned the game.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Just had a captain pick this team for me in this order.

Round 1. Abaddon, Skeleton King

Round 2. Troll, Lycan

Final Pick. PL

Ya, we got shit on.
unkillable lane into infinite tower split push / rosh with backup PL support to autowin his accelerated late game from tower gold and mega life steal for everyone.

Why can't you see the brilliance here, why did you fail your captain

7ZkDEM3.png

It seems only about 1/30 games ends with someone abandoning the game. The second line, Dota_Leaver_Disconnected, is for all those people who leave like a minute before the acient explodes and not actually abandoned the game.

This happened to me in a recent game (dc). Was lucky enough to reconnect just before the Ancient blew.

Nymerio

Question about Midas: When I get it early-ish do I try to always use it on the biggest jungle creep I can find for the experience or do I prioritize the gold?

Kard8p3

Question about Midas: When I get it early-ish do I try to always use it on the biggest jungle creep I can find for the experience or do I prioritize the gold?

I usually look at it this way: Am I behind in levels? If yes, go for big jungle creep. If no, go for anything else.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
xp
Also consider how fast you jungle, how compromising your position is, how many LH you will miss if you go for another target, etc.

Usually you want that fat xp bonus and there are other camps to clear which won't cost you as much HP depending on your hero.

Nymerio

I usually look at it this way: Am I behind in levels? If yes, go for big jungle creep. If no, go for anything else.

xp
Also consider how fast you jungle, how compromising your position is, how many LH you will miss if you go for another target, etc.

Usually you want that fat xp bonus and there are other camps to clear which won't cost you as much HP depending on your hero.

OK thanks, will keep that in mind.

Well, had a good night of DOTA overall, even ended tonight on a winning match. GG

The stats aren't the whole story.

Maybe you could tell the story?

I think I got a pretty high MMR (1500 DSR as of recently, very high bracket prior to bracket information getting removed) and yet I see supports not buying wards at the start of the game on a regular basis. Like, don't these people like winning? If observers are off CD for longer than a min throughout the fucking game, you are doing it wrong. Vision and map control can EASILY win and turn games, how do people not see this? 150 Gold to secure your ass in lane and jungle, to secure kills, to prevent getting counter ganked, to gain map control - HOLY SHIT IT'S SO WORTH IT YOU GODDAMN SCRUBS WHO ALWAYS HAPPEN TO BE ON MY TEAM

GorillaJu

I agree with Haly, it hurts but getting your shit handed to you in IH can really help out. Like bokr said, those of us that came from HoNGAF got beat on by Meeru, Loki, Thor, and Kag in IHL. You get to see the effects of their gameplay directly, and listening to/being directed by an experienced player when they're on your team helps tremendously. Meanwhile milk, 109, and swift were slogging it out in inhouse leagues in dota1, subject to the tyranny of vicious, visage picking captains.

Finding a player or group of players significantly better than yourself and tagging along is easily the fastest way to improve.

A long time ago I posted about this, but I think dota, maybe the genre, is one of the more difficult games to get good advice about or information on. As you get better and better you see that things you thought were good or effective are actually terrible, and things you wrote off can be very important. When you play with randoms you get exposed to tons of people at different levels with very different ideas about what's good and bad, so it can be very hard to sort out the useful information and apply it to yourself. Additional problems come from each match being very unique, for example the right item for one game might be useless in the next. So I guess the best advice I can give is don't cement yourself in to one idea, look at what other people do and think about it before accepting or dismissing it.

Yeah it's a bit like someone trying to help improve your golf swing. There are fundamentals but what works for others won't work for you necessarily and when people try to beat certain ideas into you it can be more harmful than helpful. People also tend to formalize things without realizing there are other viable ways of tackling problems and improving that don't fit into pro-conceived plans or ideas. They'll make you wish you were aborted for getting a certain item, but a week later a pro beasts with that item and all of the sudden it's core.

Probably the only truly applicable advice is also the most generic. "Learn from your mistakes and try new things and try to have fun" is probably the best way I could ever advise someone to improve in Dota.

I think I got a pretty high MMR (1500 DSR as of recently, very high bracket prior to bracket information getting removed) and yet I see supports not buying wards at the start of the game on a regular basis. Like, don't these people like winning? If observers are off CD for longer than a min throughout the fucking game, you are doing it wrong. Vision and map control can EASILY win and turn games, how do people not see this? 150 Gold to secure your ass in lane and jungle, to secure kills, to prevent getting counter ganked, to gain map control - HOLY SHIT IT'S SO WORTH IT YOU GODDAMN SCRUBS WHO ALWAYS HAPPEN TO BE ON MY TEAM

Just buy em yourself. I was at about 35 wins over losses a couple weeks ago because I went into every game with that attitude and just wanted to play the game my way, then I decided to switch things up and make sure there are always wards, the courier is flying and that every game has a Mek, regardless of my hero. I've gone Mek and wards on heroes like Slark and QOP because no one else was getting one and despite being counter intuitive to spend that much money on a support item my win rate has gone up a lot and I'm now at 90 more wins than losses.

IceMarker

Maybe you could tell the story?

Naix jungled for the first 15 minutes and constantly walked into the enemy team and prompted nuked to death. Everyone else would run in one-by-one (including myself once) and eventually AM got big enough to end the game himself along with typical sore winner talk. I decided to shift to semi-carry very shortly after the game started. The kills I got were typically after Naix or semi-support Nyx died.

NBtoaster

Lots of supports need clarities to be effective in lane and can't afford everything. If there's only one support someone else needs to do their part as well (usually offlane heros)

Just buy em yourself. I was at about 35 wins over losses a couple weeks ago because I went into every game with that attitude and just wanted to play the game my way, then I decided to switch things up and make sure there are always wards, the courier is flying and that every game has a Mek, regardless of my hero. I've gone Mek and wards on heroes like Slark and QOP because no one else was getting one and despite being counter intuitive to spend that much money on a support item my win rate has gone up a lot and I'm now at 90 more wins than losses.

I do. As I said, I'm way out of scrub tier and my team mates in solo q usually have about 1000-1500 wins (2000-3000 games) yet they don't seem to comprehend the relevance of min 0 wards and wards in general. If I pick a non-support I usually buy my stuff somewhat quickly and head to the appropriate lane with no bucks left to buy wards because I just assumed one of the supports would get them. Nope, gauntled is more important.

I've gotten wards with the hardest carries because I knew i'd be worth it to see ganks coming when I'm farming but real talk now - why can't people have the same game sense as me? Are these people just intellectually inferior to me? How have people like that made it into the same bracket as me?

G.ZZZ

I do. As I said, I'm way out of scrub tier and my team mates in solo q usually have about 1000-1500 wins (2000-3000 games) yet they don't seem to comprehend the relevance of min 0 wards and wards in general. If I pick a non-support I usually buy my stuff somewhat quickly and head to the appropriate lane with no bucks left to buy wards because I just assumed one of the supports would get them. Nope, gauntled is more important.

I've gotten wards with the hardest carries because I knew i'd be worth it to see ganks coming when I'm farming but real talk now - why can't people have the same game sense as me? Are these people just intellectually inferior to me? How have people like that made it into the same bracket as me?

Not everyone's as good as 1.09

yarden24

Hello everyone,
If everyone can please stop understanding that bristleback is awesome ,since I liked him before he was cool and I want him to be buffed more

Thanks
Yarden24

Hello everyone,
If everyone can please stop understanding that bristleback is awesome ,since I liked him before he was cool and I want him to be buffed more

Thanks
Yarden24

He's REALLY strong in 6.79 honestly. I can basically pubstomp at will with his current incarnation. He ain't gonna get buffed.

Nymerio

Naix jungled for the first 15 minutes and constantly walked into the enemy team and prompted nuked to death. Everyone else would run in one-by-one (including myself once) and eventually AM got big enough to end the game himself along with typical sore winner talk. I decided to shift to semi-carry very shortly after the game started. The kills I got were typically after Naix or semi-support Nyx died.

Much better :) How did he run into the other team constantly? Was it in his own jungle?

GorillaJu

When was the last time there was a hero as game-breakingly overpowered as Earth Spirit? Or am I just overstating it? Was pre-nerf Lycan this bad?

7ZkDEM3.png

Where'd you get this from?

Nymerio

In some of the recent dotabuff videos the map is covered in snow, is it like that for everyone or is this some kind of mod? I haven't played since sunday though, so maybe it was patched just recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom