• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razzer

Timber is hella broken yo. Ridiculous how hard you can snowball with a pre 20 mins BS. Them having 4 Str heroes with no lockdown also helped a lot.

Also, their furion was so bad, absolute no gamesense and kept trying to Sprout-TP out of me.

Tinker next, at leas tthat'll warm my fingers in the current weather.

Good to see you finally see the light on this. Having a team motto of 'fuck Timbersaw' broke my heart.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
yeah i hear what youre saying but youre already a higher tier player so its a different story

for low or mid tiers, playing against a person who is vastly better than them + having to pay attention to their surroundings is over stimulation since "paying attention" has a higher unit cost to less experienced players
learning varying strats is a good point, but i think low/mids are better off gaining deeper a understanding + practicing mechanics and developing game sense. Plus, stacking is more suited to that kind of experience.

Idk bro haly speaks the truth. We were all trash at some point, and at least for me, getting past the hump/plateau/trench w/e u wanna call it, came from playing with better players, watching better players, and getting my ass kicked by better players.

Most of us were scrubs back in HoN IH, gettin picked on by the kag bros and meeru. Hell, milk showed up to 1 IH, picked devourer (pudge) and got his 0-25 ass kicked back to dota 1 after selling his account to rac.

Razzer

I turn on the stream and see Milk tower dive two heroes without even having full health and kill both and live. Bristle good hero.

Boken

Banned
na this one time i played IH i got a double kill with BS and i figgured whelp i guess i am already a god at dota now

essentially my problem with ih is that its too random so that it makes for a bad learning exp

id rather stack with 4 high tiers and hope that valve MM is good for once n matches us up with a decent team

like that time we got smashed by other stack cept idk why 109 kept calling pudge "blitzcrank" hes weird like that

docbon

There's a lot of things you can't learn from just passively watching, and pubs can't really execute any strat beyond 2-1-2 or 1-1-2-Jungle. Usually when they try to break away from that such as 1-1-2-Roam, 1-1-3, etc, it just falls on its face and you wind up frustrated instead of actually learning anything.

If you can't find a group of experienced 4 (experienced being the keyword), playing in an IH where these unusual strats are used is the next best thing.

Also, in my personal experience I learn far more from playing with or against a certain hero played by a good player than any amount of watching someone play that in a stream, because I actually have to pay attention to my surroundings in game.

Def. agree with this. As an example, Calidor showed me the power of super early smoke ganks on mid, during one of our inhouses.

The fastest way to get better is to watch your own replays immediately after games. There's so much emotion and distraction when you're actually playing the game so you need to watch it a second time to review your own performance objectively.

You'll start to notice the little things like how many uncontested lasthits you missed, or how obvious that gank was in hindsight. It also removes the temptation to blame your team for everything and move on to the next match without learning anything.

Boken

Banned

xEGFYHZ.png

OH WOW LOOK AT THAT LOSING STREAK

Sliver

I don't want my win rate to go down, but I know I should learn more heroes, what do

Play ixdl-o. The community can be lame but you're often forced to play heroes you're not used to. The tryhards and ragers can be annoying but I feel the games are more rewarding than pubs.

Boken

Banned
my win rate is at 65%
eat it hazaro

accept that you'll never be better than me and in your despair play MM with brand new heroes

Not having an NTSC Wii is the worst. No Project M.

Also who needs Blink/Mek when you can just walk into a teamfight with two Vanguards and take literally no damage?

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
how do you guys get better? do you just mm all day? in house games seem like a good idea but gaf's are always really late (gmt), where else can I find in houses?

I agree with Haly, it hurts but getting your shit handed to you in IH can really help out. Like bokr said, those of us that came from HoNGAF got beat on by Meeru, Loki, Thor, and Kag in IHL. You get to see the effects of their gameplay directly, and listening to/being directed by an experienced player when they're on your team helps tremendously. Meanwhile milk, 109, and swift were slogging it out in inhouse leagues in dota1, subject to the tyranny of vicious, visage picking captains.

Finding a player or group of players significantly better than yourself and tagging along is easily the fastest way to improve.

A long time ago I posted about this, but I think dota, maybe the genre, is one of the more difficult games to get good advice about or information on. As you get better and better you see that things you thought were good or effective are actually terrible, and things you wrote off can be very important. When you play with randoms you get exposed to tons of people at different levels with very different ideas about what's good and bad, so it can be very hard to sort out the useful information and apply it to yourself. Additional problems come from each match being very unique, for example the right item for one game might be useless in the next. So I guess the best advice I can give is don't cement yourself in to one idea, look at what other people do and think about it before accepting or dismissing it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Thanks you your support everyone!
I'll continue to play fun heroes and AR when I feel bad or want to lose.

• Sand King
  • Ember
  • Earth
  • Timber
  • Bounty
  • Clinkz
  • Lycan
  • Ursa
  • Mirana
  • WR
  • WD
and some more I can't think of
All that fucking Space Cow. Man up Hazaro.
I got upset at PL, don't blame me. I got him nerfed. Also I don't like SB anymore.
I'll get ES nerfed too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom