• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nokterian

Gonna buy some more stuff tonight from frostivus. Also Tusk is a fun hero he was my least played but won 2 matches with him all ready and he is very strong! Also bought Lich set from Bounchfx and a Lina set from Anuxi!

So i started playing yesterday and I'm a complete Noob. I did the training at the start and watched some videos to see what's up (Never played DOTA or LoL before), can I just queue for a random match and expect to play with noobs or I will get raped by pro players?

Also is the Shadow Demon a good one to start with?

Wok

So i started playing yesterday and I'm a complete Noob. I did the training at the start and watched some videos to see what's up (Never played DOTA or LoL before), can I just queue for a random match and expect to play with noobs or I will get raped by pro players?

Now that we have ranked matches for more experienced players, I would say that it is okay if you want to play normal matches, even if you feed a bit.

Razzer

Matchmaking will put you with beginners, yes. It will be a messy clusterfuck for your first few games, just an effect of starting out. As for Shadow Demon, he isn't the worst hero to start with, but I recommend you look up how to properly use his disruption skill. Use it at the wrong time and it will do more harm than good so just bear that in mind.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum

Don't start with shadow demon, he's a hard hero to use well. Disruption is tricky and often needs an ally around to make the best use of it. Pick something more self sufficient.

Crystal Maiden, Lich, Wraith King, Sven, Viper, etc + heroes in OP are much easier to be effective with as you're learning.

manfestival

i tried to place a bet against na'vi knowing this was gonna be the outcome but i cant seem to place bets. CURSE THIS DOTA2LOUNGE SYSTEM

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Being matched with a genuine troll/feeder is one of the most infuriating things I've ever experienced. It's only happened 2 or 3 times in 700 matches but it's miserable. Just absolutely nothing you can do.

geetec

Neo Member
I'm not even seeing him picked up much anyway, tbh.
And only 1 in 5 seem to know how to play him properly, the rest fail horribly.

I completely agree. I don't tend to play AP very often, but when I do play it and see him picked up people usually play him really bad. Only been a few instances (1-2 I can think of) where someone played him really good.

I really doubt he's talking about Ember Spirit imba.

http://dotabuff.com/matches/423976472

I was gonna pick Jakiro but my timer ran out so it randomed Necro for me. So I had to play Necro as the #4 role. Didn't matter though, because Luna carried us the entire game and we won.

Don't start with shadow demon, he's a hard hero to use well. Disruption is tricky and often needs an ally around to make the best use of it. Pick something more self sufficient.

Crystal Maiden, Lich, Wraith King, Sven, Viper, etc + heroes in OP are much easier to be effective with as you're learning.

*Ahem*

http://dotabuff.com/matches/64366523

That was the third match I ever played. I just spammed Disruption because I thought it was a really cool spell, and the Gyro kept ignoring the illusions and dying. It was amazing. Also: Maelstrom KotL.

*Edit: Looking at the profiles of everyone in that match, only the CM, Gyro, and me still play. The rest of them haven't played in a year.

Alright will try. Haven't seen that in the OP. Thx

Nymerio

*Ahem*

http://dotabuff.com/matches/64366523

That was the third match I ever played. I just spammed Disruption because I thought it was a really cool spell, and the Gyro kept ignoring the illusions and dying. It was amazing. Also: Maelstrom KotL.

rofl, this is nothing. Feast thine eyes on my first game of dota ever:

WpvU8zQ.png

Went into it without even knowing what the game was about. Picked doom because I thought he looked really cool and for my item choices I still remember thinking: "Well, a hero definitely needs a sword and shield."

Shambles

Great. I have one game ever where I have ISP issues and now DOTA shitlists me. What a joke. I even kept coming back to the match until it finished dropping wards because I couldn't do anything else. Valve doesn't care.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Went into it without even knowing what the game was about. Picked doom because I thought he looked really cool and for my item choices I still remember thinking: "Well, a hero definitely needs a sword and shield."

Superb reasoning.

My first game of Dota was spent attempting to learn how to play a MOBA with an unlocked camera. I came from LoL and was so babied there. The bots proceeded to learn me good.

Edit:
I haven't learned much...
S1VVArU.png

Red UFO

Superb reasoning.

My first game of Dota was spent attempting to learn how to play a MOBA with an unlocked camera. I came from LoL and was so babied there. The bots proceeded to learn me good.

Edit:
I haven't learned much...
S1VVArU.png

Oh god, the free camera absolutely wrecked me for my first few games.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
rofl, this is nothing. Feast thine eyes on my first game of dota ever:

http://i.imgur.com/WpvU8zQ.png[IMG]

Went into it without even knowing what the game was about. Picked doom because I thought he looked really cool and for my item choices I still remember thinking: "Well, a hero definitely needs a sword and shield."[/QUOTE]

Oh we're posting first Dota match results!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/M8w18DN.png

I thought items had "slots" so I thought I could only have one of each type of item. I got commended for only dying 8 times! I spent 90% of this game actively avoiding any altercation because the only thing I knew about MOBAs at the time was to not feed. I tried to dunk guys with full health because I thought Axe's ult was an insta-kill. I now consider myself better than most of these guys I stacked with, and to think I used to look up to those guys!

Edit: OH, I also spent most of this game being lambasted because I was dumb enough to select the WASD camera control option when I started. Haha!

"Use your W on that guy" "it just made my camera go up!!!"

Easier than Engima?

she's very, very easy. Just not as fast as others. There is literally never a reason to be below half HP while jungling with LC. Compare with a Lycan or Axe who are chronically below 50% HP until they get their survival items up (ring of health, morbid, ring of health, respectively). On the flip, Lycan begins to clear significantly faster than LC can from level 2 onwards. Of course, early game Enigma and NP clear faster than either with no real risk to their own HP most of the time...but they brings something entirely different to a match.

But yea, LC is the easiest. With NP, Enigma, and Lycan you have to manage your treeants/edilons/wolves. It's not hard, but it requires attention and focus because without those you can't jungle...and if you're out of mana and out o fthose, you pretty much have to back to the fountain. It's easy to fuck up and you can find yourself behind in the game if you don't manage stuff right. Jungle LC -- by contrast -- is reminiscent of ancient stacking Medusa to me. Set to autoattack and go get a sandwich. The only real attention you need to pay is to the clock for stacking and to move to the next camp. Pop the ocassional W when doing a hard camp/stack and that's really it.

The fact that you never need to rotate to an easy camp says it all, really. You can go to an easy camp if you want to replenish hp without using your W. Otherwise, it's medium and hard camps from 0:30.

Razzer

Slark was doing work in that Liquid Sigma game. Combined with his popularity in the east atm, I think we have our new flavour of the month in the pro scene. Please don't nerf him Icefrog :(

Edit: In my first game I picked Axe cus he looked cool and proceeded to die to neutrals over and over because I didn't know how to Jungle and someone told me to do that.

Team Liquid vs Sigma.int

http://i.imgur.com/xIoFquH.jpg[/IMG

[URL="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x153r8y_d2cl-live-english-broadcast_videogames?start=7"]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x153r8y_d2cl-live-english-broadcast_videogames?start=7[/URL]

Slark first pick![/QUOTE]

dailymotion is the fucking worst

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
I still wake up screaming to sixghost's pyro. He really shouldn't be allowed to be really good at 2 things. :(

H49Zp1t.jpg

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Six ghost is the best meepo player I have ever seen. He carries me with his meepo. He knows meepo.

He was referring to his first games, so I was surprised to see he didn't pick Meepo.

Now I'd like to watch his Meepo games though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom