• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calidor

How do your first 10 games affect your ranking?

Does it give you a minimum rank? Is it meaningless?

So far I have won 5 out of 6 matches I believe. That's in a 3-5 man stack.

Seems like they take your base score from regular mm and then hover around +- 100mmr over then calibration games. After that you win lose 25 mmr increments

manfestival

We need to start a support group. I'm about to spend nearly a hundred bucks so I can get a courier that is on fire. I'm trying to talk myself out of it but I literally have nothing else to live for.

I have a friend on dota with like every set it seems. He bought the arcana set. His profile has a bunch of authentic and autographed crap. He told me he spend 200 on just this sale alone...

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
As Dota 2 is so far ahead of the rest my game of the year top 10 is going to be a top 1.

Also I break off work after today, really tempted to create a lets learn Dota thread for GAF in the gaming forum with other people having more time in the holidays and the coaching system now in, it seems like the time.

You should do it, this way people will have a medium to come in and say how terrible and inclusive of a community we are. It's way to much trouble to come here and look at all the discussion and lack of shit talking and try to say it.

Dota network has been down a LOT this past week, what gives:\
also a recent bug with either dota or skype seems to be that notifications on skype will prevent me from clicking on the shop icon until I tab out and back in again...

Dota constantly reinforces how much I despise matchmaking systems
just give me a server browser, I've never not been able to find a server in cs or bf1942 or quake 3

woodland

Is dota 2 down?

When is it not down?

My usual Dota process is something like this:

Boot up Dota->Find Match button has disappeared->Friends still have theirs->Close and reopen Dota->Match button MAY be there, if not, rinse and repeat til it's back->It's back! Try to queue up->10 mins later nothing->Go make food->Still nothing->"Connecting to Dota2 Network"

And then I give up. Thanks for opening the game up Valve..

M.D

This fucking game.
Had a free day, planned to play a lot of dota, takes forever to find a game. Like had to cancel multiple times after 20 minutes of search, it wouldn't find a game.
Only played 3 games >.>

fiore

Banned
When is it not down?

My usual Dota process is something like this:

Boot up Dota->Find Match button has disappeared->Friends still have theirs->Close and reopen Dota->Match button MAY be there, if not, rinse and repeat til it's back->It's back! Try to queue up->10 mins later nothing->Go make food->Still nothing->"Connecting to Dota2 Network"

And then I give up. Thanks for opening the game up Valve..

First time this has happened, the whole serach button disappearing thing.

G.ZZZ

Honestly i've found that there are many more grievers in ranked compared to old normal queue. At least a couple of games today where people intentionally fed couriers and died themselves because "god you're terrible i hope you lose, this is what you deserve etc...".

If this is what the trench look like i'm scared. I'll never get out of here.

Acinixys

I dunno, there are some pretty bad individual performances represented on there.

I wont deny that. I know that i had quite a few shit performances. But sometimes no matter now hard you try your team lets you down

I had a game today where a Bloodseeker who went mid fed 7 kills to their Ember in the first 5 minute and then preceded to 1v5 their entire team

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
You guys know, Nintendo are a bunch of jerks. They show Kirby racing against Mario with Kirby Air Ride Music Playing. Maybe it would be some All Star Nintendo Racing game, Kirby Air Ride 2, Or heck, even just Kirby in Mario Kart 8?

Nope, just smash brothers character from Mario. Jerks.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I'm starting to play supports in games because it seems to be helping my win-rate.

What are some good supports to learn the basics?

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
I'm starting to play supports in games because it seems to be helping my win-rate.

Lich, CM, Veno, Venge, Lina if you can land the stun, same with Lion

With reference to the below poster: You should probably stay away from Ogre for learning the role, being ranged makes things far easier. Jakiro has such bad animations that he may as well be melee and isn't a very effective hero on his own anymore, better to use things that are more self sufficient at first.

manfestival

lich and ogre magi seem to be pretty simple for learning the basics.
jakiro is good too. in fact the OP has some good suggestions for support.

Granadier

lich and ogre magi seem to be pretty simple for learning the basics.
jakiro is good too. in fact the OP has some good suggestions for support.

I feel dumb now because I've read the OP before.

Thanks for the suggestions anyways.

inkls

What the others said, but also shadow shaman. He can also split-push with his ult so thats another +

Haven't lost with him yet.

52club

I love Veno as a ranged support, and assuming you get some levels you can be really affective in team fights or ganks. You can snowball pretty easily with the assists you can rack up as well.

As far as playing ranked, I think there are more trolls than ever. It makes sense though because if you want to ruin some one's day you do it when they have the most on the line. The same thing used to occur when I played lol.

I feel dumb now because I've read the OP before.

Thanks for the suggestions anyways.

Find out what a support excels in and focus on it throughout a game. Really just pay attention to it and you'll learn a lot that way.

Like pay close attention to where your creep equilibrium ends up in lane when you play lich and you'll be able to transfer some of that into other games where it still matters a lot.

Ancient Apparition will teach you a lot about map awareness. Warlock and Tidehunter, teamfights and positioning. Lion, Crystal Maiden, Earthshaker, Vengeful Spirit will teach you a lot about stuns and disables and when you might be able to get a kill and when not (which is an important skill to recognize and you'd be amazed how bad some people are at it). It goes on and on, but in the beginning I think focusing on one thing at a time in a game really helps preventing you from being overwhelmed and eventually makes you a very well rounded player.

the easiest support is kotl, just give people mana and let them use their targeted spells. in middle of fight you ult and use blinding light. no one expects you to hit the horses and if someone else misses their nukes it's not your fault. also it's easy to farm creep waves if you need to

haha and just NEVER use recall
EVER

EVEREVEREVEVEVER because you WILL GET HARASSED BY YOUR TEAM even if you save their life.

Or in my recent case be harassed for not using it despite being level 5 :/

M.D

Honestly i've found that there are many more grievers in ranked compared to old normal queue. At least a couple of games today where people intentionally fed couriers and died themselves because "god you're terrible i hope you lose, this is what you deserve etc...".

If this is what the trench look like i'm scared. I'll never get out of here.

Played ranked CD yesterday, captain was asking us what to pick and this guy starts to shit on him for not picking what he wanted and picking captain without knowing what he wants to pick, then he picked dusa and didn't notice the time ran out and the last 2 picks were random. Our cap had a DC, this guy starts talking shit "Lets hope he doesn't come back and we can all just leave" "another useless game"

I try to calm him and say lets just try and stuff, he tells me to shut up and that I'm a loser or go kill myself.. something along those lines

We ended up winning 31-7 at 34 minutes

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Honestly some of my best games seem to be ones where I'm not hyper-focused, listening to music rather than in game audio.

Granadier

Find out what a support excels in and focus on it throughout a game. Really just pay attention to it and you'll learn a lot that way.

Like pay close attention to where your creep equilibrium ends up in lane when you play lich and you'll be able to transfer some of that into other games where it still matters a lot.

Ancient Apparition will teach you a lot about map awareness. Warlock and Tidehunter, teamfights and positioning. Lion, Crystal Maiden, Earthshaker, Vengeful Spirit will teach you a lot about stuns and disables and when you might be able to get a kill and when not (which is an important skill to recognize and you'd be amazed how bad some people are at it). It goes on and on, but in the beginning I think focusing on one thing at a time in a game really helps preventing you from being overwhelmed and eventually makes you a very well rounded player.

Thanks.
That's actually really helpful.

G.ZZZ

???

Why exactly? You mean by trapping myself with my ult?

No, he's just an extremely squishy hero with bad farming skills, who really depend on good ulti placements in fights and pushes, and with short range CC spells + channelled cc which will get you instakilled in fights.

It's one of the hardest supports to play right.

inkls

No, he's just an extremely squishy hero with bad farming skills, who really depend on good ulti placements in fights and pushes, and with short range CC spells + channelled cc which will get you instakilled in fights.

guess i've just been lucky so far then, thanks for the tip

Go mid, wreck shit, push lots, gg.

what.

Q entire waves, laugh straight to the bank. Nothing hard about SS at all. Of course you can't be an idiot looking to shackle people in a way that puts you in a bad position. But that's no different than using the LC ult.

G.ZZZ

what.

Q entire waves, laugh straight to the bank. Nothing hard about SS at all. Of course you can't be an idiot looking to shackle people in a way that puts you in a bad position. But that's no different than using the LC ult.

Yeah you can somewhat farm with lightning, but he's no veno or CM. His laning skills are also pretty bad, unless you put it in mid i guess? I'm not the biggest rastha player, but i think he's just too squishy as a mid with his MS, str and armor.

Low Tier
if you're winning mid as rhasta vs ta iunno you can probably just pick like tree mid rush shadowblade and pretend ur deadwood or someshit

SamVimes

what.

You can do that if you're playing core so you have some mana regen and you're not just soaking up farm and then running to the base, playing a good support Shadow Shaman is far harder than playing him core or playing other supports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom