• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
This game was significantly better before Earth Spirit was added to it.
Don't even care if he's nerfed 3 patches in a row. He's engaging, bro tier, and yolo kill.
I dread playing against him, jesus

1v8CEiL.png

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Love it:
wardsbitch.png

I wish there was a "Sentries Placed" gem though, that thing would be so high, haven't had a good reason to buy Dust in the last few game.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Love it:
wardsbitch.png

I wish there was a "Sentries Placed" gem though, that thing would be so high, haven't had a good reason to buy Dust in the last few game.

Wait, so what is "demons imprisoned?"

G.ZZZ

Your MMR is 4k+ isn't it? And your overall win rate is -11? So less than 50%?

Actually i consider 100 win over losses to be my 0, so it's actually +89. Last weekend i was at 105. Sadly i've spammed instapick legion commander for like 30 games and lost the majority of them searching for a good build.

Hi guys. Few questions from me.

I have been playing lol for about a year and last night I went through the tutorial on dota 2 to see what the differences were.

I'm tempted to try this game out more but I have a few hang ups.

- can I set the item buttons to the 1-6 keys? Trying to use z-n is really uncomfortable for me.

- I think I read that one support buys the courier and the rest of the team share it. If so when do they buy it? Do you have to run all the way back to the shop as soon as they have the cash or do you stay with a tp. Also how do you share it without arguing over it?

- in league you have a tank run in and soak up the damage while the ad and ap carry lay the pain and the support and bruiser try to protect them (at least that's the theory. The truth in solo queue is that a total cluster Fuck happens and then your team all start shouting a at each other). Is this similar in dota2 or do fights work differently?

- is Dota 2 better for solo queue than lol? My problem is that a 5v5 game is very hard to get to work well with Ransoms and was wondering if dotas mechanics help the team fights play out better with people you don't know or is it just as much of a shit storm?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

I have been playing lol for about a year and last night I went through the tutorial on dota 2 to see what the differences were.

- can I set the item buttons to the 1-6 keys? Trying to use z-n is really uncomfortable for me.

- I think I read that one support buys the courier and the rest of the team share it. If so when do they buy it? Do you have to run all the way back to the shop as soon as they have the cash or do you stay with a tp. Also how do you share it without arguing over it?

- in league you have a tank run in and soak up the damage while the ad and ap carry lay the pain and the support and bruiser try to protect them (at least that's the theory. The truth in solo queue is that a total cluster Fuck happens and then your team all start shouting a at each other). Is this similar in dota2 or do fights work differently?

- is Dota 2 better for solo queue than lol? My problem is that a 5v5 game is very hard to get to work well with Ransoms and was wondering if dotas mechanics help the team fights play out better with people you don't know or is it just as much of a shit storm?

Controls are fully customizable, you can make them whatever you want.

Courier is bought at the start of the game. If there are more than one supports they can just agree on who buys courier who buys wards and/or smoke.

I have only played a handful of bot matches in LoL but I think general consensus is that there are abilities in Dota that have more overall impact to a team fight than in LoL. There are carry heroes that are better for tanking and staying back and dishing out damage and ones that specialize in initiating on the other team as well as potentially full-team disabling ultimates like those from Tidehunter, Enigma, etc. It can still get messy and uncoordinated when playing with randoms but once you get familiar with most of the heroes and in particular the one you're playing, you will know how to react to what others on your team are doing.

Just go for it. Nothing really to lose by just jumping into a few solo queue games. Some LoL experience will give you a leg up at the very least.

Razzer

I'll try answering a few of these, but bear in mind I haven't been playing as long as a few people here so they will know more.

1) Yes you can. The control settings are accessed via the cog symbol in the top left on the main menu. You can set various preferences there.

2) One support buys the courier at the very start of the match, ideally (in the lowest of low brackets you will often find noone does this.) Then you have it immediately. Some of the early items you will be getting such as boots can be purchased from the side shop (if you wanna know more about having more than 1 shop just ask) so you don't need the courier. This means that the mid hero should ideally get priority over the courier for the first 5 minutes or so at least as they will need to get items like boots and bottle from it as they have no side shop. This is what is supposed to happen but honestly when you are starting out anyone will just take it whenever. For your own play just try not to hog it just so you can get one measly ironwood branch if that stops someone getting a big item they might need.

3) It varies. Usually you will have an 'initiator' on the team, someone who can jump in from afar and pop some spells quickly that start the fight on your terms, such as an aoe stun, for instance. Then the damage dealers rush in and do their thing whilst supports try to use their spells to keep the carries alive and keep the enemy disabled. Getting good initiation can be crucial to a fight. Other than that though their are many different kinds of fighters. Some are glass cannons, some are tanky for sustained damage, some do massive burst then can't do much after that, it all depends on what strat you go for (or in pubs what people felt like picking). Generally though the best idea is to make a fight play out in a way that suits your heroes better than theirs.

4) Solo queue is no better I imagine. Haven't played league to know but I would think both communities are similar in their behaviour.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Buy courier at the start of the game. Check chat to see if someone else bought one, or if you picked late check the bottom right courier UI indicator

Depending on your team comp you may or may not have a tanky hero and in Dota it's focused more on positioning and initiation (Blink Dagger, Force Staff, longer and harder CC, BKB [magic immunity], etc).
Fights in Dota last longer and it's easier to capitalize on CC with reactions.

IMO yes, solo queue in dota for me has generally been pretty positive. I wasn't called a faggot like in my first LoL game and have had 1 bad apple in over 250 games.

First main things I'd say to soak up is to LOOK AT HERO ABILITIES AND THEIR ITEMS WHILE IN GAME. I was shocked to find LoL doesn't do this and was instrumental to me picking up Dota quickly and not getting frustrated. Just select them and you'll see what all their skills do at each level and what items they have (and you can hover over them). Hold ALT to see detailed information.

Carry a TP at all times. Always buy regen at the start of a game. You can buy boots and TP at the side shops so you don't need to go back or use the courier.
Disruptor absolutely destroys Earth Spirit.

Source: I keep being anally raped due Static Storm
Why are you not silencing him first? This is like like Rule #1.

M.D

- Pretty sure you can, just check the settings in the client

- Generally (or what should hpapen) is there are 2 supports, one of them buys the courier and one buys the wards.
You want to buy the courier (its an item you need to "use" to release the courier) at the start of a match with your startig gold, usually the player on the mid lane will need it the most for his bottle and other items. If there's no couirer and the mid player doesn't get his bottle and other items he'll probably lose his lane and won't be able to make things happen.

For the other lanes you have the side shops and secret shop which will have a lot of the items you need.

At the 3 minute mark you can upgrade the courier to a flying courier which will make it faster and also means it won't be as easy to kill. If your courier is killed, all the items on it are unavilable until the courier respawns after 3 minutes, so you want to have a flying courier.

The courier can contain up to 6 items so it can brig items to several people. If someone already used it and its on its way, don't be a dick and make it turn around to base just so you can get your item.

I think people answered the other questios better than I can ;p

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member

I believe..Tanking in Dota 2 is a very ambiguous term, you can never perpetually tank with any hero in the game; Strength hero or other wise (with high HP) and any number of passive/active skills activated upon one, which can probably let one to stand a bit more than 12 seconds on the battle field before disappearing from the battle.

Relying on preemptive attacks, disables, locking out supports and heavy DPS damage dealers individually to shift focus, should be the only role of a tank in Dota 2.

OK thanks for replies. Helps a lot. Will be changing the controls tonight then.

I really like the support rule in lol so will portion start with that. I like setting up kills for other people and things like that.

Where should you be warding in data? In lol you need to keep river and dragon warded and be on look out for there jungle coming to gank but I read that jungling isn't that common so what's important to ward etc.

Also what is dust?

And can you suggest 3 supports I should start on learning as having all heroes available is a bit more daunting.

Cheers again guys.

Edit
Couple more things.
What does each stat type to (strength, int etc) and does this game not have many items that increase health and ability power?

Hylian7

Disruptor absolutely destroys Earth Spirit.

Source: I keep being anally raped due Static Storm
And BKB makes him an absolute machine in those situations.

Also I noticed something interesting. In Dota 1, if a Magnetized hero gets close enough to a rock, it does the explosion, however the rock disappears. In Dota 2 they don't disappear. This seems like something that should really be a pretty big deal, as you only have 6 rocks and have to use them carefully.

G.ZZZ

Tank is not a role, it's a quality of the Hero. You can have tanky initiators (tide, axe, cent, ds), tanky supports (jakiro, abaddon, omni), tanky carries (spec, bristle, dk). Being hard to kill is also a different thing from being tanky, cause you can be extremely squishy but also extremely hard to focus down (weaver, am, slark). Heroes in general are not defined by roles, but by their qualities, understanding that goes a long way in understanding how to play.

Razzer

I really like the support rule in lol so will portion start with that. I like setting up kills for other people and things like that.

Where should you be warding in data? In lol you need to keep river and dragon warded and be on look out for there jungle coming to gank but I read that jungling isn't that common so what's important to ward etc.

Also what is dust?

And can you suggest 3 supports I should start on learning as having all heroes available is a bit more daunting.

Cheers again guys.

Dust is an active item that reveals invisible units in an area around the activation.

Wards are more complicated. As you only have two at the start of the game you need to decide what lane to prioritize. You should usually have at least one ward that covers a rune spot so the mid laner has an easier time controlling runes. Other early spots would be making sure you can see what is going on on the other side of the trees in the side lanes, blocking pull camps (you can use a sentry for this as well though) or guarding the entrances to your jungle to spot someone coming to gank. As mid game comes on you will want to be warding the rosh pit regularly, and other than that it really depends on how the game is going. If you just wanna farm passively then ward the jungle again to see ganks coming. If you wanna look for kills then ward in their jungle so you can see them farming and go get them. How many towers do you have, how many do they have? All these should be taken into consideration. There is a map of good spots somewhere but I wouldn't know where to look for it.

Good beginner supports. Well lich is always a solid choice, easy to play, don't have to use high skilll to have an impact thanks to sacrifice, and his ult can be hella fun. Crystal Maiden is the ultimate babysitter. Pick her and you can try picking up kills in lane for your carry thanks to her great CC. If you want a slightly harder but satisfying high impact support try tidehunter maybe. You will get to try out being the initiator we talked about earlier. You get a blink dagger when you can then turn teamfights on their head with your ult.

Dust is an active item that reveals invisible units in an area around the activation.

Wards are more complicated. As you only have two at the start of the game you need to decide what lane to prioritize. You should usually have at least one ward that covers a rune spot so the mid laner has an easier time controlling runes. Other early spots would be making sure you can see what is going on on the other side of the trees in the side lanes, blocking pull camps (you can use a sentry for this as well though) or guarding the entrances to your jungle to spot someone coming to gank. As mid game comes on you will want to be warding the rosh pit regularly, and other than that it really depends on how the game is going. If you just wanna farm passively then ward the jungle again to see ganks coming. If you wanna look for kills then ward in their jungle so you can see them farming and go get them. How many towers do you have, how many do they have? All these should be taken into consideration. There is a map of good spots somewhere but I wouldn't know where to look for it.

Good beginner supports. Well lich is always a solid choice, easy to play, don't have to use high skilll to have an impact thanks to sacrifice, and his ult can be hella fun. Crystal Maiden is the ultimate babysitter. Pick her and you can try picking up kills in lane for your carry thanks to her great CC. If you want a slightly harder but satisfying high impact support try tidehunter maybe. You will get to try out being the initiator we talked about earlier. You get a blink dagger when you can then turn teamfights on their head with your ult.

Just reading up on some chars now. Thanks for suggestions. Dazzle, vengeful spirit and omni caught my eye. Any of them good for support?

Do wards have a timer in dota2? Warding is quite a big thing in lol.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Also what is dust?

Cheers again guys.

Edit
Couple more things.
What does each stat type to (strength, int etc) and does this game not have many items that increase health and ability power?
Sand King - 2 Escapes, instant stun, can afk jungle if you realllllllly need to, one of the best initiators in the game with Ult + Blink. Even if you are 0-11 and you get blink at 35 minutes, you can still turn around games.
Witch Doctor - Amazing multi hero stun, healing, damage 'buff', great and fun ult. Ranged.
Vengeful Spirit - One of the best stun/nukes, armor debuff and scouting, +DMG aura, great hero and you can save your allies and initiate. Ranged.

I'd stay away from Dazzle and Omni as a starter.

Vision Wards last 7 minutes, Invis wards (DO NOT GIVE SIGHT) last 4 minutes(?).

Wiki on Attributes (You can also mouse hover over most of this stuff in game): http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Attributes
More reading: http://www.purgegamers.com/welcome-to-dota-you-suck

Sand King - 2 Escapes, instant stun, can afk jungle if you realllllllly need to, one of the best initiators in the game with Ult + Blink. Even if you are 0-11 and you get blink at 35 minutes, you can still turn around games.
Witch Doctor - Amazing multi hero stun, healing, damage 'buff', great and fun ult. Ranged.
Vengeful Spirit - One of the best stun/nukes, armor debuff and scouting, +DMG aura, great hero and you can save your allies and initiate. Ranged.

I'd stay away from Dazzle and Omni as a starter.

Vision Wards last 7 minutes, Invis wards (DO NOT GIVE SIGHT) last 4 minutes(?).

Wiki on Attributes (You can also mouse hover over most of this stuff in game): http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Attributes
More reading: http://www.purgegamers.com/welcome-to-dota-you-suck

Great info thanks.

BraXzy

I'm having one of my worst games ever today. I think it's because I just woke up but I keep doing insanely stupid stuff. I forgot my Shadow Blade existed when I needed to escape, and I just died to Rosh -.-

It looks like fed up with only having couriers and a Lycan wolf as legendary drops, Valve just made their own collection of new legendaries and added them to the drop system.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Oh okay, no had no idea they were Legendary.

Based solely on the item updates it certainly seems to be the case that there will be some sort of evolution of Wraith Night for Christmas itself.

Man this game. Makes me feel like I'm still a noob even though I've put in 200 + hours into it. I don't think I've ever played a game with such a steep learning curve. Gonna get there one day
I hope

xKebob

Man this game. Makes me feel like I'm still a noob even though I've put in 200 + hours into it. I don't think I've ever played a game with such a steep learning curve. Gonna get there one day
I hope

200 is nothing :)
You should start stacking if u want to get better faster,people can point out mistakes more easily...

rezuth

Cheers again guys.

Edit
Couple more things.

Here is an in-depth guide to warding explaining everything from aggressive wards to de-warding.

http://steamcommunity.com//sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=124307820

As for easy supports I would say..

Me7q4Gu.jpg

Lich is a rather easy support that has an active ability that eats a friendly creep to regain mana. This helps the lane not get pushed while the carry farms and denies the enemy laner experience. He has a good nuke that slows and a strong ulti.

ehtfmq6.png

Warlock is an easy hero that has good spells for harrasing enemy laners, a decent heal, for the most part useless slow and an awesome ulti. He summons a big golem for 60secs that does immense damage.

IHSoGlG.png

Lion has a stun, hex, can drain mana from creeps/neutrals/heroes with mana to regain his own and a ultimate that nukes for great damage.

Do you know the basics about pulling/stacking/denying/rosh/ancients and so on?

Vade

1.09 when you play OD when should you look to go Aghanim's? or is it not strong item compared to shiva/refresher for end game luxury?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom