• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, they added a whole bunch of old items to the drop system (but removed a whole bunch of new ones), including Shroom Thing which only dropped for a week. I imagine a frozen one of those will be worth a handsome penny

Dota 2 Items for participating in the steam sale: http://store.steampowered.com/promotion/snowglobefaq

I'm not really clear.

"
Craft a game badge
Starting December 10th, crafting a game badge earned you a snow globe card rather than a coupon, so if you crafted a badge in the last week you’re already ahead of the game. During the sale each game badge you craft will get you an additional snow globe card."

So if your Dota2 card badge is maxed out such that you can't create any more badges from it (level 5 is the max), what do you do with any future Dota2 cards if you can't make them into badges? Just try to trade them away for cards from other games?

Also, after getting a globe, you only have a 10% chance of getting a Dota2 item at all, and a 1/60 chance of getting exactly what you want?

mfaex

I'm not really clear.

"
Craft a game badge
Starting December 10th, crafting a game badge earned you a snow globe card rather than a coupon, so if you crafted a badge in the last week you’re already ahead of the game. During the sale each game badge you craft will get you an additional snow globe card."

So if your Dota2 card badge is maxed out such that you can't create any more badges from it (level 5 is the max), what do you do with any future Dota2 cards if you can't make them into badges? Just try to trade them away for cards from other games?

Also, after getting a globe, you only have a 10% chance of getting a Dota2 item at all, and a 1/60 chance of getting exactly what you want?

http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comme...2_cosmetics_during_the_winter_sale_by/ce5nyif

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Damn those are some horrible looking odds. Are the non tf2/dota2 items worth anything? And more Sven swords and omni hammers?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
How many video games do I have to buy to get that scythe?

:*(

Can you buy those items off the Steam market? I think I'm just going to snag the items I want off there..Not sure how well they'll hold their value but I do have some free steam bucks that I've been meaning to use.

edit- damn nm...$364 for the scythe of ice.

Can you buy those items off the Steam market? I think I'm just going to snag the items I want off there..Not sure how well they'll hold their value but I do have some free steam bucks that I've been meaning to use.

theyre only going to fall as more people craft the badges

just wait a few days

Sheepstick looks waaaaaaay better. Just buy one of those instead

yeah I know that...I wonder how many will be out in the wild though? Can you choose at least from what game you want an item to drop? Or is it completely random?

Completely random.

You can determine what "level" of item you want though.

As Ballad has been saying, they are dropping in game as well so they won't ever be too high.

valve employee #1: this guy with over 2000 hours in dota 2 is crafting christmas cards
valve employee #2: does he play path of exile
valve employee #1: no
valve employee #2: give him path of exile items

M.D

I seriously can't understand some people.

Played ranked MM, someone picks captain and doesn't talk or listen to suggestions, then goes into lane as DK with no items and get no items at all until he gets his battlefury, and of course he feeds the whole time.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
valve employee #1: this guy with over 2000 hours in dota 2 is crafting christmas cards
valve employee #2: does he play path of exile
valve employee #1: no
valve employee #2: give him path of exile items

More like: giveRandomItem (holidayCard);

ah. so it's kinda bullshit. a little something to do, i guess.

that's just how much the only guy who crafted one is trying to get for it. that's not some established price.

More like: giveRandomItem (holidayCard);

either way it sucks. there is little value in crafting a badge for such a low chance at getting even a Common item in a game you actually play. It mine as well be the new chest people are opening to get a Rare: mine as well wait a week when the prices are low and buy it straight away rather than spending $5-$10 on a badge to get garbage.

Granadier

either way it sucks. there is little value in crafting a badge for such a low chance at getting even a Common item in a game you actually play.

Yes. It does suck. It would be nice if it would only give you items for games that you own.

but where's the fun and excitement in that!?

Yes. It does suck. It would be nice if it would only give you items for games that you own.

but where's the fun and excitement in that!?

Where's the fun and excitement for Valve, you mean. Because all of the items people get for games they don't play will be sold on the Market...from which Valve gets a % of. There's the fun, but not for us. It's in their interest to give you as many items for games you don't play as possible because you'd probably keep a Dota2 item. But that Warframe item? You're gonna sell that. Valve makes money everywhere.

*grumbles*

Long story short: stop now, GAF. It's chest opening 2.0.

Granadier

Where's the fun and excitement for Valve, you mean. Because all of the items people get for games they don't play will be sold on the Market...from which Valve gets a % of. There's the fun, but not for us. It's in their interest to give you as many items for games you don't play as possible because you'd probably keep a Dota2 item. But that Warframe item? You're gonna sell that. Valve makes money everywhere.

*grumbles*

Long story short: stop now, GAF. It's chest opening 2.0.

Short version: Just buy the items you want from the market.

Granadier

That's always been the secret in Valve F2P games. The only things that ever hold their value is the super rare, limited stuff. It was the same way in TF2 with unusual hats.

Yeah, it's essentially gambling. You could always unlock a chest and get something worth well over the key price, but then again it could be just an item worth $0.03.

Nothing wrong with that in my opinion though.

Valve: hey guys you want a completely optional game with some free stuff to tie in with this sale we're running?

imternet: zomg yes

Valve: okay

Internet: hey fuck you valve you gave me the wrong totally optional free shit

Granadier

Valve: hey guys you want a completely optional game with some free stuff to tie in with this sale we're running?

imternet: zomg yes

Valve: okay

Internet: hey fuck you valve you gave me the wrong totally optional free shit

Exactly.

traveler

Not Wario
Yeah, letting you choose the game but not the rarity would have been better than letting us influence the rarity but not the game. Guess the market will sort it out, though. :/

Edit: Is Disruptor riding a mutated Tidehunter? That new LD trueform looks pretty boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom