• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ugh. I have been doing terrible in every single game this past week. I feel like a noob more so than normal :'(

Someone comfort me?

Life, top of the page, now everyone is gonna flood me with love. I won't be able to handle it D:
Play better heroes

ElyrionX

Ugh. I have been doing terrible in every single game this past week. I feel like a noob more so than normal :'(

Someone comfort me?

Life, top of the page, now everyone is gonna flood me with love. I won't be able to handle it D:

Play hard support CM every game.

Whyyyyy does he keep playing PA

dat kda. so consistent across all heroes.

6th loss streak..definitely feels bad

Sorry. :(

I was able to duo with a friend and took 2 straight to go +1 on the day. Everything is so much easier when at least one person in the party is playing support and taking care of the little things that matter to the laning phase. Like warding and creating space. Such has always been true, but I was reminded once again what it's like when you don't have those things. It's like being outside in New York in December with no coat.

Sibylus

Banned
Dude would get so much better at the game learning support. Can't tunnel vision a carry when you don't really understand much about the game outside of "get last hits".

Dude would get so much better at the game learning support. Can't tunnel vision a carry when you don't really understand much about the game outside of "get last hits".

This is true as well. Learning by playing support really is the way to go. The burden of playing carry/mid retards the learning process, IMO, because it forces a focus on one specific skill: last-hitting. It's an important skill to develop, but that can come later. Understanding how to play support means understanding the big picture at all times. There's more to do and more things to master.

inkls

Someone comfort me?

heh, could be worse, you could be doing bad and be stuck with complete noobs who don't buy courrier and/or hijack it mid delivery if bought.

At least you know you're doing bad, so its rectifiable, unlike alot of other players.

Quesa

This is true as well. Learning by playing support really is the way to go. The burden of playing carry/mid retards the learning process, IMO, because it forces a focus on one specific skill: last-hitting. It's an important skill to develop, but that can come later. Understanding how to play support means understanding the big picture at all times. There's more to do and more things to master.

Why would I do any of that when I can run in on fools and fuck them up like I do in every other competitive game I play

Also I guess my computer clock's fucked. OR! Dotabuff's algorithm is getting way better:

eXjiRu9.png

Why would I do any of that when I can run in on fools and fuck them up like I do in every other competitive game I play

Fair point. All I can say is I started with Lina, Drow and Zeus.

They are "fuck em up" artists. Only 1 of the 3 is a competitive pick right now, but Drow and Zeus are still fun in pubs and among the more popular picks. Because...they fuck shit up.

If you play Lina or Lion, you can have both: you can burst the shit out of someone every 60-70 seconds while playing support and learning the map.

dmshaposv

Play hard support CM every game.

You can play hard support CM/transitioning into shadow blade surprise-ulti CM really well too.

But you can still lose a game where you play an awesome CM if ur carry are shitty pubbers who abandon/leave or don't push towers and let the enemy get gold adv.

Quesa

http://www.twitch.tv/kingraven_

King tried to quit Dota and install League. He then somehow uninstalled League and quit and now he's back to Dota.

Silly King.

(this is in the space of about half an hour)

Reminds me of a friend who, after a particularly devastating loss of Halo 3, announced in a voice message to all of his friends that he was done with Halo 3 forever. I heard this particular message after seeing that he popped online and was still now playing Halo 3.

http://www.twitch.tv/kingraven_

King tried to quit Dota and install League. He then somehow uninstalled League and quit and now he's back to Dota.

Silly King.

(this is in the space of about half an hour)
My favorite is when singsing was going to play lol on stream and he couldn't figure out how to download the client.
That's only because I haven't finished my placement matches yet.

NBtoaster

I've only just started using hotkeys to level up skills and I feel like a much better player.

Think I would have won a lot more fights if I had been able to quickly level up a skill. Though the default key is o and completely unintuitive.

BeesEight

Question about Earth Spirit.

How effective is he as a support? I seem to get more mileage from him if I'm playing more of a 4 role than something expected to do more damage. I don't know if I'm just more careful when I'm in a support mindset or if his skills are better not used for initiation.

It could also be that I have shit reflexes.

ElyrionX

Fair point. All I can say is I started with Lina, Drow and Zeus.

They are "fuck em up" artists. Only 1 of the 3 is a competitive pick right now, but Drow and Zeus are still fun in pubs and among the more popular picks. Because...they fuck shit up.

If you play Lina or Lion, you can have both: you can burst the shit out of someone every 60-70 seconds while playing support and learning the map.

Lina is not a competitive pick.

dmshaposv

Lina really is the most useless hero in the game. Whenever someone picks her up in pubs I have to sigh.

Unreliable stun, Kill steal ulti, only viable early game, ultra squishy, zero late game potential.

Its just a waste of a spot that could've been covered by a good support or mid hero with late game carry potential.

Lina is not a competitive pick.

she's not anymore? what changed?

Lina really is the most useless hero in the game.

I think you need to add an addendum to that thought. She's useless if someone doesn't know how to play her.

Unreliable stun, Kill steal ulti, only viable early game, ultra squishy, zero late game potential.
silly talk.

Its just a waste of a spot that could've been covered by a good support or mid hero with late game carry potential.
disagree.

Sorry you've had such a bad experience with Lina players. Maybe you should play with more GAFers?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Question about Earth Spirit.

How effective is he as a support? I seem to get more mileage from him if I'm playing more of a 4 role than something expected to do more damage. I don't know if I'm just more careful when I'm in a support mindset or if his skills are better not used for initiation.

It could also be that I have shit reflexes.
You can consider him a position 3 imo, though he can be 2-4. Your damage and worth isn't from items (Unless you go SB/Veil/Dagon) it's from completely fucking over anything the enemy tries to do and never letting them kill you or your teammates or get the jump on you since you have a 2000 range aoe 5s silence with 50% uptime. Your goal is to not die in fights and disrupt the enemy when you aren't killing everything on the map and having complete rune control.
So build whatever items dick over the enemy team the most.

Kill as soon as you hit level 3 or 4 and keep killing until you have your Ult. Then go kill someone in whatever lanes needs to die. Repeat every 90s.
You should be the most annoying thing in the entire world and make them not want to come within screen distance.

I've played him mid, support in lane, primary farmer in lane, and position 1 because of farm. Learn to do the combo quickly, how to kick rocks on reaction, and to always silence.

Also I'm just going to keep posting this: (I think my Solo MMR will be ~3500 solo FWIW I started 5 months ago)
EhbUOXv.png

You can consider him a position 3 imo, though he can be 2-4. Your damage and worth isn't from items (Unless you go SB/Veil/Dagon) it's from completely fucking over anything the enemy tries to do and never letting them kill you or your teammates or get the jump on you since you have a 2000 range aoe 5s silence with 50% uptime. Your goal is to not die in fights and disrupt the enemy when you aren't killing everything on the map and having complete rune control.

Kill as soon as you hit level 3 or 4 and keep killing until you have your Ult. Then go kill someone in whatever lanes needs to die. Repeat every 90s.
You should be the most annoying thing in the entire world and make them not want to come within screen distance.

I've played him mid, support in lane, primary farmer in lane, and position 1 because of farm. Learn to do the combo quickly, how to kick rocks on reaction, and to always silence.

Also I'm just going to keep posting this: (I think my Solo MMR will be ~3500 solo FWIW I started 5 months ago)
EhbUOXv.png
I haven't even tried that hero yet. I need to get on it.

BeesEight

Ah, that makes sense. I really like the hero but he feels like someone that needs quite a bit of practice on. Also, at the moment, it takes like two-three games just to get into the swing of things.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Here were my item choices I've been doing for perspective. Most of the time it doesn't feel like what I build matters too much. Currently I favor a fast Urn since you can start killing at level 3/4 and at level 6 you have a guaranteed kill, plus the extra STR in lane helps. Arcanes after since it helps with farm and zoning at towers.

After those it's situational, I've been in weird cases where my next item was a 22m sheepstick or a heart. If their main damage is right clickers I get Shivas, if there's an elusive hero like Clinkz I'll get a quick gem and Sheep, if there's a Riki or Clock I'll get Force, if we have magic nukers get a veil, if we have 3 melees get a Vlads, if early team fights favor us get a mek, etc.
I've also been picking up casual vit boosters (usually after we kill 2 towers in a row) as a nice stopgap between the large items.

I've really been liking going back to Shivas for the early + armor and regen. Since you rarely die it's pretty easy to get a decently quick Mystic staff as well which helps with farm/zoning. It's such an insanely cost effective item that gives you like +50% EHP vs Physical + Nuke + Slow + 40% AS fuck enemy carries aura.

Oh and carry the gem for your team. Gem wins games.

26uHbyJ.png

Ah, that makes sense. I really like the hero but he feels like someone that needs quite a bit of practice on. Also, at the moment, it takes like two-three games just to get into the swing of things.
Yeah before I went into any real matches I did bot games with cheats and -wtf to practice rock kicking and combos and messing around with the ultimate.

There's a lot of good Jerax footage on his channel as well to give you ideas of what he can do solo. Basically you own the field and everything goes your way if you play it right. I'm expecting really big nerfs to him.

Nirvana

Lina really is the most useless hero in the game. Whenever someone picks her up in pubs I have to sigh.

You can't really say any hero is 'the most useless hero in the game' since every hero is useful in the hands of a good player. She is one of the few supports whose damage nukes scale fairly well into late game and her stun isn't as unreliable as most people make out.

Any good player doesn't use her ulti to KS either, it's fairly useful to take away 3/4 of a carry's health in a teamfight I find.

Kard8p3

Talk trash bigger fish will eat you.

ez.

edit:

dude got so exposed
edit: loved how he tried to blame his team after the scrim
edit2: bzm best wisp gaf

Yeah, I don't play much with that guy when he's on trav's stream. Sorry he shit talked you guys, he didnt know what he was asking for.

You are a really good wisp, little jelly.

Razzer

He's cocky AF; hopefully that got through to him. He needs to be humbled.

Yeah, honestly with no working mic I spent the whole time instigating mischief in chat, was much fun, and as soon as I saw him complain about his team I knew what needed to happen.

bzm

Talk trash bigger fish will eat you.

ez.

edit:

Yeah, I don't play much with that guy when he's on trav's stream. Sorry he shit talked you guys, he didnt know what he was asking for.

You are a really good wisp, little jelly.

What are you sorry for? Made our night.

Kard8p3

Yeah, honestly with no working mic I spent the whole time instigating mischief in chat, was much fun, and as soon as I saw him complain about his team I knew what needed to happen.

You did good! People who put blame on their team are usually the worst.

edit:

okay I need a VOD of this

Will PM you it after trav makes a VOD and puts it on YT :)

What are you sorry for? Made our night.

Glad you guys had fun! Was amazing to watch you guys play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom