• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.
o wow didnt notice

dota copying league of legends

well folks, time to pack up here, icefrog admitting which game has the superior design
We already tried the passive that gets disabled when you use the active component and it got removed so sk single handedly proved lol sux.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
o wow didnt notice

dota copying league of legends

well folks, time to pack up here, icefrog admitting which game has the superior design

this was pretty much the hon patch of dota

1) the overall gold increase + passive gameplay nerfs - hon style
2) wards give 50g when killed - hon
3) most spells disjointable or "dodgable" - hon
4) pudge and venge can blink - hon
5) latest huskar, bloodseeker, and broodmother redesigns are from the nome school of balancing

icefraud working for maliken now

Kreunt

Banned

5) latest huskar, bloodseeker, and broodmother redesigns are from the nome school of balancing

soon there will be a hero with an aoe hook.

Hylian7

Healing Ward removed from Jugg
Battle Hunger removed from Axe.

Tested out Brood for a bit with the changes. You definitely can pull and stack ancients easily if you're Radiant mid. If you're offlane Dire you can also stack ancients with a pretty sick placement that lets you get there, through the trees back to lane, and over the river which could result in some massive jukes.

Not to mention the web AoE can cover at least parts of the 3 bunched Radiant jungle camps. Didn't test, but it might be feasible to jungle her from level 1, which wouldn't be all that bad. And of course you could just setup a web in the offlane trees and soak XP like no one's business. Offlane rotating to jungle Brood like how Prophet has been played for awhile now might be pretty decent, especially since your level 1 jungle might be fairly difficult. Once you have spiders it should be gravy.

Boken

Banned

bro lol came before hon so hon pretty much copied 1), 2) and 3) from it

sorry u hontards gotta accept which one is the superior game
lay this war to rest already

shira

MLGadam said:
Fine, I'll give you a hint on our theme. The courier is based around a mini tide hunter concept :)
Let the speculation begin. I have seen it and I think it is sick.

Sounds good

tidehunter_ohayou_by_artofhkm-d6g5gbp.png

tumblr_me66m61QnN1ql5008o1_1280.jpg

chibi_tidehunter_by_patbanzer-d5uz2o1.jpg

5HLjU.png
If it's based off the plushie [swoon]
$(KGrHqR,!roFINe852dDBSFsT-Fu+!~~60_35.JPG

Sibylus

Banned

Good thing or bad thing in Hongaf's (hive) mind? Outside of two games of HoN, played something like 2% LoL and 98% Dota 2, and I'm mostly positive on these changes. Some I've wanted for forever.

Boken

Banned
the changes are gud
its just interesting cos a few people were pretty down on the ward gold idea cos its not in dota and it is in lol

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Good thing. HoN was really fun and fast paced and focused on the early game thanks to those changes and Striders (which the new Tranquil's is similar to). Supports could afford to play more dynamically and the ward/counterward game was more sustainable, even in pubs.

Although Nome's School of Hero Design isn't so well received.

Sibylus

Banned
the changes are gud
its just interesting cos a few people were pretty down on the ward gold idea cos its not in dota and it is in lol
I'm pretty psyched about it. Play a lot of support and that sort of feedback loop for effective play tends to make things only ever more rewarding. The fruits of virtue.

sephi22

I'm pretty psyched about it. Play a lot of support and that sort of feedback loop for effective play tends to make things only ever more rewarding. The fruits of virtue.
Yeah, this is one of the reasons I love this patch too.
The others being baller Earthshaker and queen bitch Broodmother. Two heroes I don't play much but will a lot now

Bounties on wards just makes sense though. Further incentivizes good play, particularly allowing supports that extra bit of gold. Not to mention things like TA traps already having a bounty (even if it is just 1g). Pretty sure now that any "unit" which can give vision will give a gold bounty when killed.

Boken

Banned

well in other cross polination, im expecting LoL to impose a ward cap

its going to be fucking wild west in loltown with all them bushes

Hylian7

Why does nobody play Brewmaster anymore? I'm talking about both pro matches and pubs. I just had two games as him and rocked the house with it in both. Ran him on the mid lane. I remember in 2012 he used to be popular in both pro and pubs, now you never see him in either.

sephi22

Game two of this random Indian tournament, god damn are these teams bad.
Way to piss on new esports scenes in growing countries.
God forbid someone try to start a scene. Its like all of you were dominating trilanes since when you were born. Guys like you are ruining the MOBA community.

:lol
But yeah, the Indian scene has passion at least. DotA was huge there. There's not much support from sponsors and gaming is still considered a child's hobby by most adults. But we're getting there. Its nice that there are guys like Bulba, Universe or 1437 so set examples for the South Asian players.

Sibylus

Banned
well in other cross polination, im expecting LoL to impose a ward cap

its going to be fucking wild west in loltown with all them bushes
Incidentally I wouldn't say no to brush, but used very sparingly. Might make some ward placement spots more interesting.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
bro lol came before hon so hon pretty much copied 1), 2) and 3) from it

sorry u hontards gotta accept which one is the superior game
lay this war to rest already

bro but lol is such a travesty to dota clones we just gotta pretend it doesn't exist u kno.

like u kno my friends are all like "yo anbokr my bromosio bro u see those awful, boring LoL final matches?" "na wats a lol final match" ez
there ain't nothin to put to rest my friend boken

Good thing or bad thing in Hongaf's (hive) mind? Outside of two games of HoN, played something like 2% LoL and 98% Dota 2, and I'm mostly positive on these changes. Some I've wanted for forever.

HoN made some great changes to dota and some bad changes. I dunno if the 6.79 changes are good or bad, I'll have to try them out first. I think the bounty on dewarding is good, it encourages something that's often overlooked by most pubs. The rest I dunno, making the game faster is sometimes fun, but tbh I liked dota's game speed. Felt a little slower than HoN, but that's ok. We'll see if this speeds it up too much or hits the sweet spot.

sephi22

Does the 400% damage on Earthshaker's enchant totem justify getting strength items on him even for a 4/5 position Earthshaker?

Or is it something that its good just because its there and not something you should build around unless you're going total carry/semi-carry ES?

Sibylus

Banned
The multiplier is significant enough that you don't have to go out of your way to get STR items to capitalize on it, particularly effective against supports and heroes who are low. It's just your other skills are so critical you agonize about delaying maxing them.

sephi22

Thanks.
And what's everyone thoughts on the Bloodseeker and Riki changes?
Now that I've had a day to mull over them, I still think they are very uncharacteristic for Dota. Like both of them are breaking well established rules of the game.

GorillaJu

I can't speak for everyone but I think until some of the later heroes who were just plain silly with the amount of gimmicks and natural synergy came out, Hon was a better game than Dota. I played Dota for 3 or 4 years, then switched to Hon immediately in beta and never looked back because it was just more fun to me.

The pacing in Hon, not just in unit control but in the flow of the game, was top notch. The reason it moved the direction it moved is because S2 got to see detailed data that couldn't be accessed by Icefrog due to the WC3 engine, and they were able to make some minor changes to the meta game that had big ripples in a positive direction, mostly in order to eliminate the tendency to play PVE when there's an opportunity to end the game or get tower gold.

Without going into the things that basically ruined Hon later on, I'll say that these are changes that I've wanted in Dota ever since I switched off Hon to Dota 2.

One thing anbokr didn't mention is that Tranquil boots are now basically Striders (boots that give you very high move speed when not very near heroes or taking damage, only cost boots +300g and give no stats) with healing and armor instead of being cheaper. Striders made a huge difference for supports - the game was really fun when you could get involved in ganking and roaming for only 300g after boots. I think Tranquil boots will be used similarly. They'll be used much less often as a "stay in lane for as long as possible" solution for heroes like PL and Ursa.

Sibylus

Banned
They're definitely peculiar, but bear in mind that in a lot of places they're also standardizing a lot of other things, such as the 900 radius for auras and fewer abilities being undodgeable.

So peculiarity is moving to more... communicable places in the game design, I think you could say. Slark being perfectly invisible during his ult, Riki not being revealed at all outside of attacking post-level 6, and Blood Seeker seeing heroes in the FoW when they're below half health, these are peculiarities that are visible in a way those aura differences and the spell dodges weren't. I tend to like peculiarity in general, and these seem to be immediately graspable as opposed to the nuances they're replacing. So I think on balance the changes could be good, and I'm most definitely looking forward to playing around with them.

Hylian7

I just realized something: There were no mentions of any heroes that aren't in Dota 2 yet in the patch notes. Usually there is always a change to Phoenix and Terrorblade.

Sibylus

Banned
I just realized something: There were no mentions of any heroes that aren't in Dota 2 yet in the patch notes. Usually there is always a change to Phoenix and Terrorblade.
Methinks dota 1 patches have been backburnered to "when they're done/when I figure out how to implement this in dota 1" status. If it absolutely can't be done, then I guess that's the point where Icefrog and Valve shrug and let the chips fall.

Zeknurn

Well the notes were posted on dev.dota2.com and not playdota.com. Expect the full notes whenever Icefrog decides to post them.

SamVimes

Did the 20 MB patch from yesterday change anything in the main client? I thought in 6.78 the maximum reward for breaking kill streaks was around 600 but this happened yesterday.
http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/1045125991153675489/BF7661F87C98AF67E59B59B562C0ED55268B7D33/

edit: the replay bugged out a little: obviously i died. My score in that moment should be 10-1-3.

edit2: actually i just read the exact formula, it's working correctly. That's insane to think he would get 1300 in the new patch though.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Good thing. HoN was really fun and fast paced and focused on the early game thanks to those changes and Striders (which the new Tranquil's is similar to). Supports could afford to play more dynamically and the ward/counterward game was more sustainable, even in pubs.

Although Nome's School of Hero Design isn't so well received.

CAW CAW

G.ZZZ

Went for a solo queue game, solo offlane jugger against dual stun lane, i get fb against them cause lion decide it's a good idea to chase me under tower and i kill him with spin + block.
Then i have a mid weaver 0-7 first 10 minutes, Titan top no aura 0-5 first 10 min, Nyx 0-3, Skele never leave jungle end game 0-2-2. Should've waited for someone to come online at least i can flame them in real life after they sucks, randoms will just flame you back in russian :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom