• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT3| #BetterThenEllenPudge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acinixys

Oh, you just had a 6 game win streak? LOL! Heres 3 games filled with tryhards, internationals with over 600 ping and players with 1000 less games played than you on your team! We promise you our MM is flawless and

>Volvo MM
>Forced 50
>Trench4Lyf

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
"I'm the shit regardless."

Tell em, bro.
Improving past an okay level (where I am?) is hard. Mainly the barrier into organized 5 stacks and understanding what each hero should be doing and timings of what is going on.
Then there's becoming really good with any hero which is a whole nother set of games and time.

I was thinking of learning a few heroes like Pugna, Mirana, LS, NP, CM, and more to add to... my Sand King and ES which is about it.
40-11 haha
Dude it's like asian parents I swear. Normal pressure to win x5.

shira

Nice new pudge kinetic gem
ilQEKeWbSa9Gn.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPNN4rlNOM4

I hope they add the new dialogue voice too.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
X Hero Siege was lame. Mt Olympus was where it was at.

I would disagree, X Hero Siege was great in what was possible from Warcraft 3 editor and Warcraft 3 assets.

Me and my friends played a game of X Hero Siege after Wraithnight was introduced, because of the later shortcomings in content.

Hylian7

The "new gamemode" thing is probably bullshit. They were probably just going off the footage seen of the custom map editor and that's probably the "new gamemode".

G.ZZZ

The WORST captains always, WL+ lancer dual lane? What is this, 2009? Magnus against 5 ranged and puck mid? Leave them mira + bane and no way to disjoint? All of this in CD? Seriously wat.

F!ReW!Re

I read that iceiceice went for a Invoker against iG recently and went Quas Exort with Mek and Necro. How does such a build even work?

Whaddayamean?

Necro is pretty awesome as an items in a Quas/Exort build.
You get forge spirits up and deploy the necro book, then you cold snap someone and that someone is dead....

ElyrionX

Whaddayamean?

Necro is pretty awesome as an items in a Quas/Exort build.
You get forge spirits up and deploy the necro book, then you cold snap someone and that someone is dead....

I mean, I get the concept and idea but how effective is it really? Especially in pubs? Would Invoker be more of a 3 or 4 in the lineup? I am assuming Mek isn't an essential core item in the build?

F!ReW!Re

I mean, I get the concept and idea but how effective is it really? Especially in pubs? Would Invoker be more of a 3 or 4 in the lineup? I am assuming Mek isn't an essential core item in the build?

How effective would it be?
Pretty damn effective if you ask me, not only does the Necro give you stats (MOAH Int = MOAH Dmg), it gives you more pushing power (next to the force spirits you got the Necro units melting towers, if you have BoTs you can split push like the best of them), like I said they crap on any solo hero you come across and it'll help against those pesky invis heroes.

Dunno about the Mek tbh, I've never build that on invoker myself, but if you are lacking a mek carrier/buyer why not get it on invoker? He's got the mana pool for it and the gold income. And I think it complements a hero that's already "hard" to kill (as in escape with ghost walk, disable spells, etc).

xKebob

Dendi just mentioned on his stream that brown/orange are lowest mmr in each team.
So are the colors not random? Do they mean who's better?

Zeknurn

Dendi just mentioned on his stream that brown/orange are lowest mmr in each team.
So are the colors not random? Do they mean who's better?

That hasn't been confirmed and it would go against what Valve does to dampen the things that could start harassment in teams.

xKebob

That hasn't been confirmed and it would go against what Valve does to dampen the things that could start harassment in teams.

It seems true though.
Look at pro players, for ex. dendi is pink twice in a row,qojqva and alwayswannafly were blue.

rugioh

Banned
Support Alchemist is disgustingly good

The minute you hit 6 you and get a kill every 50 secs or so when your ult is available. Plus, if you get a medallion you never have to go back to base because you'll probably always be at full mana

http://dotabuff.com/matches/481376693

The enemy Necro was raging at the end because i was shitting out blink stuns every 16 seconds

http://dotabuff.com/matches/481483396

I know this feel

Also a question. Is PL hard to play? Like if I can do a decent job microing NP units can I play PL competently? For some reason I can never win games as NP because my team loses 2/3 lanes before I can get my necrobook up.

NBtoaster

http://dotabuff.com/matches/481483396

I know this feel

Also a question. Is PL hard to play? Like if I can do a decent job microing NP units can I play PL competently? For some reason I can never win games as NP because my team loses 2/3 lanes before I can get my necrobook up.

PL requires little micro other than occasionally attack-moving your illusions into jungle camps. Most important is map awareness and being able to see missing enemies and thinking "these guys have dust and are hunting me".

Razzer

PL requires little micro other than occasionally attack-moving your illusions into jungle camps. Most important is map awareness and being able to see missing enemies and thinking "these guys have dust and are hunting me".

Yep yep. Just group all your illusions up and send em down a lane. After you do that you can forget them as they are just illusions. The most important part of PL is being able to anticipate ganks, even if they smoke so you don't see them coming. Doppelwalk shouldn't be thought of as an invis spell imo, it's a decoy. You use it well before they arrive so they gank the fake, rather than what I've seen some PL's do which is wait till the gank arrives then doppelwalk, at which point you will get dusted and die.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Yup

Team lets the game drag on till enemy AM gets 6 slotted and solos our whole team

Check the stats at the end

Out Mirana build Diffusal, Deso AND Maelstrom

Good think modifiers stack

OHWAIT

Maelstrom stacks, doesn't it? Couldn't she have just been using diffusal for the active and deso for her primary orb?

Satch

Banned
how do you guys feel about the in game guides

i was playing support alchemist the other day, person on my team picks lina. i buy the courier and say "lina buy wards please" and she says "no im not buying wards theyre not in my build"

?????????????

i think the guides are very helpful for learning, however they dont really encourage players to contextualize their item choices against the different team compositions. to be fair thats not necessarily a fault of the guide, but a player's dependence on it for doing whats effectively the hardest part of efficient play: the itemization.

how do you encourage people to make more versatile and beneficial decisions with their inventories?

shira

i was playing support alchemist the other day, person on my team picks lina. i buy the courier and say "lina buy wards please" and she says "no im not buying wards theyre not in my build"

?????????????

i think the guides are very helpful for learning, however they dont really encourage players to contextualize their item choices against the different team compositions. to be fair thats not necessarily a fault of the guide, but a player's dependence on it for doing whats effectively the hardest part of efficient play: the itemization.

how do you encourage people to make more versatile and beneficial decisions with their inventories?
People are on their own journey level. You can't force it because dota is daunting. But it's really difficult to argue with someone when your logic is counter to the "highest rated guide". If you can't think for yourself and adapt then I hope they lose, because the worst is following a guide - totally fucking over your team in the process - they carry you to victory and they assume the guide was good because they "won"

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

?????????????

The in-game guides are far-and-away an overall net good for the game. Sure, some people follow them too strictly, but it's better than the alternative. When I first started playing (before guides) my item choices were fucked. Looking back at it, I'd typically buy brown boots and then ultimate orbs over and over.

Now I'm at the point when I understand the role of every item and when to use it, but that comes with experience. The guides were valuable in building that experience.

Acinixys

Maelstrom stacks, doesn't it? Couldn't she have just been using diffusal for the active and deso for her primary orb?

No, if you have Diffusal the orb from deso doesnt come into play.

I think the one you buy first is the one the game gives you as your "main" orb. Could be wrong though

Razzer

Shira and Emerson basically said my view. It's a gradual learning experience and some people will want to stick to them until they feel more comfortable. And there are new reasons to get items being discovered even now. The most recent would be the Puppey blade (using diffusal to counter hex). It may have been known by some before but it became popularized and now even I know it, whereas before I had no idea. That said, getting wards on a support even if not in your guide seems kinda obvious.

No, if you have Diffusal the orb from deso doesnt come into play.

I think the one you buy first is the one the game gives you as your "main" orb. Could be wrong though

You can drop the one you don't want to use and pick it up again to change orbs.

I'd like to know how it works with illusions though, I'm sure someone said there was a way for illus to have diffusal orb but for your main hero to have a different one but I couldn't that to work when I tried it.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
"anybody building mek?"
no answer
[three minutes later, no mek components in anyone's inventory]
"anybody building mek?"
no answer
"ok i'm working on mek"
Emerson has purchased mekansm
[five minutes later]
Dazzle has purchased mekansm
"you motherfucker"

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Anuxi since you're a mod there you need to pull some strings and get me unbanned from Dendi's twitch chat. I honestly have no clue how I got banned but I'm butthurt over it.

dorkimoe

I wanna see all random fixed. I understand its all random. But when my team gets 5 supports versus a prophet, warlock, legion commander, Anti mage elder titan :(

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Was gonna post this anyway so unrelated to the above post:

All Random really is the only good solo mode IMO. My All Random winrate is a solid 15% higher than my overall.

I wanna see all random fixed. I understand its all random. But when my team gets 5 supports versus a prophet, warlock, legion commander, Anti mage elder titan :(

There's supposedly an upcoming mode called Auto Draft or something where it tries to give both teams a good composition randomly.

ksan

all pseudo-random
Was gonna post this anyway so unrelated to the above post:

All Random really is the only good solo mode IMO. My All Random winrate is a solid 15% higher than my overall.

The only thing I can say is that less people play all other game modes compared to AP, so the matches in AR aren't gonna be as fair as in AP (according to MMRs).
Could also be that a lot of people only play AR, and given the different player populations they might be worse (or better?) players given the same MMR, which means that you get easier (harder?) games.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
aThe only thing I can say is that less people play all other game modes compared to AP, so the matches in AR aren't gonna be as fair as in AP (according to MMRs).
Could also be that a lot of people only play AR, and given the different player populations they might be worse (or better?) players given the same MMR, which means that you get easier (harder?) games.

I think it's 2 things:

1) There's a higher quality of player in All Random, generally, than All Pick or some other modes. Simply because it's usually the kind of player who is willing to play anything.

2) Since I started playing Dota 2, my philosophy was always to play every hero enough that I could be good with any of them. The result of that is that in 800 games or so I only have a handful of heroes with more than 10 games played. In my experience this philosophy is really backwards, and has fucked my MMR. Most people pick favorites and play them a lot, and in All Pick you're likely to play against people playing their favorite.

So, my feeling is that if you take players from my skill level, and assign us each a random hero, I'm more likely to do better in that game than most players at my level. Unless they get one of their specialty heroes, in which case I'm unlikely to win. But statistically the former is more likely in AR.

ksan

I think it's 2 things:

1) There's a higher quality of player in All Random, generally, than All Pick or some other modes. Simply because it's usually the kind of player who is willing to play anything.

2) Since I started playing Dota 2, my philosophy was always to play every hero enough that I could be good with any of them. The result of that is that in 800 games or so I only have a handful of heroes with more than 10 games played. In my experience this philosophy is really backwards, and has fucked my MMR. Most people pick favorites and play them a lot, and in All Pick you're likely to play against people playing their favorite.

So, my feeling is that if you take players from my skill level, and assign us each a random hero, I'm more likely to do better in that game than most players at my level. Unless they get one of their specialty heroes, in which case I'm unlikely to win. But statistically the former is more likely in AR.

Yeah, I'd think 2) and the last paragraph are the biggest reasons for the big win% difference of yours, sounds totally reasonable.

And for 1), the only thing I know is that I usually need to wait forever for ar/rd games... However, if you're at such level where there is such a huge player pool that you can get those games quickly, it could be true that the average player is more skilled than most of the players with the same mmr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom