• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT3| #BetterThenEllenPudge

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingKong

See thats why you gotta play single/random draft. People can't lock in their favorite, you still get the variety to draft a decent team and you're not forced to play someone you'll do badly with

Strider

See thats why you gotta play single/random draft. People can't lock in their favorite, you still get the variety and you're not forced to play someone you'll do badly with

Eh. If you're like me on Single Draft you'll still get forced playing someone you'll do badly with ;)

dorkimoe

Was gonna post this anyway so unrelated to the above post:

All Random really is the only good solo mode IMO. My All Random winrate is a solid 15% higher than my overall.

There's supposedly an upcoming mode called Auto Draft or something where it tries to give both teams a good composition randomly.

that would be awesome. If it gave you your carry, support etc. But this 5 support versus 5 carry nonsense is crazy

Spookie

See thats why you gotta play single/random draft. People can't lock in their favorite, you still get the variety to draft a decent team and you're not forced to play someone you'll do badly with

SD is the leading cause of electrocution via monitor punching in the world.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Had a fun cm game where i drafted, i picked an aggressive trilane with spirit breaker crystal maiden and veno against a gyro, a rubick and a alch. We destroyed them! we had like 85 kills at the end of a 35 min game. I should try that again in ranked and see how it goes.

Artanisix

It seems true though.
Look at pro players, for ex. dendi is pink twice in a row,qojqva and alwayswannafly were blue.

Colors don't matter. Colors being in order of highest to lowest MMR has been verified false repeatedly by mumble gaf. We all queue for CM UsWest and get into the same game reliably. The distribution of players on the same team is random.

AR is great because it actually teaches you to understand the game and not just follow the meta or off lists. You're going to be dealt a shit hand, figure it out. Who will be the least worst at solo offlaning? Why is mid a better or worse than mid b, c, or d, because we got 4 traditionally mid heroes.

Sure sometimes you'll get something that feels insurmountable, that's just the luck of the draw, but most of the time you have to remember that you're not playing against pros, people mess up plenty, you can win with almost anything as long as you use your noodle.

I also feel the people who queue for AR are mostly prepared for that and think this way as well, as when I AP people are very stubborn and stuck in certain paradigms for how to play certain heroes certain ways.

I don't know if that makes you worse or better. I think in the long run it makes you better, while in the short term makes you take a huge hit.

ReRixo

Banned
why do pro teams not have a substitute system? surely having standins prevents competitive play from being taken seriously?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
N0tail sure has an entertaining stream playing with H4nn1.

Also I thought the team colors in games were based off how long players were in queue for.

Randdalf

why do pro teams not have a substitute system? surely having standins prevents competitive play from being taken seriously?

It's been done in the past, but generally it just works better with 5 players who know each other best rather than 6 or 7 players who don't play cohesively.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Colors don't matter. Colors being in order of highest to lowest MMR has been verified false repeatedly by mumble gaf. We all queue for CM UsWest and get into the same game reliably. The distribution of players on the same team is random.

Have to make sure this is seen. Confirmed multiple times.

Have to make sure this is seen. Confirmed multiple times.

Are you guys at such a high mmr though that it takes very long to get into a match like some pro players? This is part of his assumption as the color is decided by length of queue not by mmr necessarily but higher mmr is more likely to have a longer queue length. So it's a de facto mmr ranking not intentionally.

According to random reddit poster of course.

Razzer

http://dotabuff.com/matches/482323850

My first truly successful Storm game! I felt pretty proud at the end of this. I won my lane vs invoker (didn't kill him but had good rune control and out last hit him). Then I ganked bot and got my DK a double kill, the went top, coincidentally at the same time Invoker did, and saved Axe and Ogre from a gank against Invoker Tiny and Nyx whilst also killing the Nyx. Then I got a kill in my lane on Invoker, which was blemished by him buying back and Sunstriking me. Still, early game went well basically. The mid game started at this point though and they stayed grouped as 5, but I didn't realize this as they would leave 1 out as bait and I died to this. Then we started slightly larger fights but Pugna Ward was just ripping through me, and Invoker was still playing well. I'd already got the perseverance for Linken's but realized I had to go BKB against that so got that instead, from which point we started winning fights more. I turned the perseverance into Bloodstone instead and from there we went on to win.

Throughout this though, I basically had to drag my team kicking and screaming to the win, other than DK who played really well. Axe and Ogre both got Bloodstone first item, noone bought any wards until I eventually did out of frustration (I wanted to earlier but the BKB had to be gotten ASAP). SK, Axe and Ogre kept going into all 5 of them without me or DK and if not for my desperate splitpushing after these bad engagements they probably would have taken a rax. Once we went as 5 we won fights though, DK farmed well and was smart.

After the game DK thanked me for winning it and Invoker said wp Storm so that felt good, first time that has happened to me.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Are you guys at such a high mmr though that it takes very long to get into a match like some pro players? This is part of his assumption as the color is decided by length of queue not by mmr necessarily but higher mmr is more likely to have a longer queue length. So it's a de facto mmr ranking not intentionally.

According to random reddit poster of course.

We normally wait ~5-7 minutes, not very long. Sometimes we are the first and last players on the team, not correlating colors on opposite teams, or just in general not always adjacent to each other. Given that we all queue within 3 seconds of one another this probably debunks the time theory as well.

Does Frostbite cancel channeled spells or TPs? I thought I noticed that it did but it doesn't say it anywhere in the tooltip.

Yes it does with the ministun on application.

Why is there so little professional Dota at the moment?

Well, Starladder just finished, there's no D2L or any joinDota tournaments and Chinese Dota is on Lunar New Year break. I guess that JD Global League thing is gonna start in 2 days or so, that should be entertaining (especially looking forward to the SEA games, wanna see the new Scythe.SG play.. wonder how good hyhy still is)

Why is there so little professional Dota at the moment?

Do you mean in general or right this second?

There is a tournament on right now if you want to watch some mid tier russians.

In general this stuff goes through ebbs and flows due to all the teams scheduling. It'll be ramping up again soon as a bunch of stuff just ended and seasons will be starting again. JoinDota masters is tomorrow for instance.

ElyrionX

Got overconfident as BH after some early teamfights and I think I may have threw the game for my team. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

EDIT: Ok just checked the game results page. Nope, I didn't throw it. I was still the highest GPM by far on my team and Drow, BM and Mirana had very low GPMs and very bad item choices. I need to stop blaming myself all the damn time for losing.

Radec

Ok, N0tail's stream is hilarious.
KuGsj.gif

6.79 was like 2-3 months ago right? I don't expect 6.80 for awhile. Them batrider nerfs are still fresh on my mind.

The game mode stuff seems like a stretch, there hasn't been anything datamined to support it, and Valve hasn't said anything about it.

TB and maybe phoenix are whats on the table right now.

TB and maybe phoenix are whats on the table right now.

To me, I picture TB looking like a chinese demon and pheonix like a chinese pheonix. I noticed the last two hero updates were themed.

The Three Spirit's theme is obvious, but even Wraith Night had a theme. Both Legion and Wraith King were dressed in fur lined clothing and felt designed to fit with winter. Pheonix could very easily be tied to Chinese culture, with the chinese version of the mythical pheonix being incredibly beautiful and interesting. For Terrorblade, I'm picturing somewhat like a demon with asian inspirations.

rugioh

Banned
I played two games this morning where all 9 of the others in the game were speaking Russian.

Just stay out of the water today, people. ITS NOT SAFE

Are you on US East or West? Either way I think I'll just go to the movies with my girlfriend tonight instead of play dota, dont wanna risk the cyka

What boots do you guys suggest for support Alch? Phase for escapes and closing gaps? I'm just starting to tinker with it. Been going Arcane but I'm thinking Phase might be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom