• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT3| #BetterThenEllenPudge

Status
Not open for further replies.

F!ReW!Re

Do you start with boots as I've seen bulldog do in a lot of his streams?

You need to, else you're fucked.
(You need to be able to outrun the enemy because your range isn't that good with just level 1 in take aim).

You get boots + tango's first.
You rush for Phase boots into drums and forcestaff.
After that you go for Deso into Daedalus.

Try to get level 3 take aim as fast as possible.
Headshot will really help with last hitting.
Due to boots start + take aim you can harass them constantly and should be able to pick up a nice number of last hits.

(You kinda need 1 ward to ward against ganks, don't ward their pull camp, it's a waste).

Remember though, this build doesn't make you a #1 carry for your team, because you need to forgo early damage items for maneuverability and survivabilty (drums, force staff).
You will however be harder to kill and still out-range anyone.
It's kind of a semi carry sniper since you won't be as deadly at the 20-35 minute mark compared to a safe lane sniper.

Just played another game. Got matched with the NID guys from the opposite team before. Immediately they started "omg faceless sucks he got RAPED last game hes such a n00b"

They leave me alone in safe lane vs Lich / Silencer. Also after level 6 when they would appear in my lane, SB and puck would kill 2-3 waves of farm and push the safe lane all the way into their teir 2, and then go back off to their roaming / ganking meanwhile I miss out on 400-500 gold that puts me that much closer to being able to make a difference. I understand this game on such a good level....yet I simply never have a team that applies any common sense to this game.

This was the end result.

I never once had anyone help my lane, went a completely different build in an attempt to help the team more and at the end of the game I get reported by everyone (note I am chat banned and can't even talk in the game currently)

So now I'm facing 5-10 more reports for "being bad and not farming" when I literally had no help because they said fuck you, and left me alone in a lane with lich and silencer.

Thanks guys.

I am uninstalling Dota 2. 1500 hours is enough to realize this community is pure, and utter shit.

9KRfsqz.png

Don't go for Midas + Battle Fury. That's too greedy and you deal too little damage for a huge chunk of the game.

Personally, I love going Midas -> Treads -> Maelstrom -> BKB -> Mjollnir -> Daedalus -> Butterfly -> Refresher

I think that's the best Void build around. You avoid crap like MoM that makes you squishy as hell, but you are still able to fight somewhat early due to the AS you get from Maelstrom and Midas. Refresher is kinda gimmicky and you could probably substitute it for a Rapier which I did a few days ago, but I found RO to be every effective as well. Late, late game, the prime targets will always sit back and let their supports or initiators bait the Chrono and there's little you can do about it. Having two of them however...

Generally speaking, you can skip MKB because your Chrono grants true strike anyway.

God Enel

I keep hearing about the guild, the neogaf dota channel is dead the 99% of the time, how do you join it?

To be honest I don't remember anymore how i joined the guild.. I think you have to be invited by the guild leaders or a member? I'll be online tomorrow maybe I can invite you (I'm just a member, so as I said I don't know exactly what the process was).

And to say that you have to go boots 1st in every game is kinda hmm.. It depends on the lane (going against dual/trilane, stuns/nukes etc.), though off lane boots first is quite a thing imho.

OT: And yeah Secret of Evermore is one of my Top3 games ;)

F!ReW!Re

And to say that you have to go boots 1st in every game is kinda hmm.. It depends on the lane (going against dual/trilane, stuns/nukes etc.), though off lane boots first is quite a thing imho.

I wasn't talking about boots first on every offlane hero, I was recommending it for an offlane sniper specifically.

Boots first as offlane sniper is probably gonna be a good idea every time since he's so amazingly squishy and has no escape without items.
If there's a slow or a stun in your lane you're pretty much screwed without boots first imo.
(Sure it comes down to good positioning but still, boots will give you greater mobility and the chance to outrun most of the heroes you'll be laning against.

Fuchsdh

Holy shit at those three feeders. What the fuck were they doing?

What level are you guys playing at? I'm still stuck grinding through unranked to get to Lvl 12 and I haven't seen feeds that bad.

I wasn't talking about boots fist on every offlane hero, I was recommending it for an offlane sniper specifically.

Boots first as offlane sniper is probably gonna be a good idea every time you offlane him since he's so amazingly squishy and has no escape without items.
If there's a slow or a stun in your lane you're pretty much screwed without boots first imo.
(Sure it comes down to good positioning but still, boots will give you greater mobility and the chance to outrun most of the heroes you'll be laning against.

Personally agree. When I was a newb I would always go boots first, then I eschewed them entirely, and now I've often come back to getting them fairly early as I often choose squishy heroes like Luna or Snipe.

F!ReW!Re

What level are you guys playing at? I'm still stuck grinding through unranked to get to Lvl 12 and I haven't seen feeds that bad.

Ehh what?Lvls?
Level's don't mean anything here. It's purely cosmetic and when you level up you get an item.
It doesn't affect your matchmaking / games in anyway.

The MMR we're talking about is MatchMaking Ranking which is a number between ~2000 - ~7000. And you get a ranking for Solo matchmaking and Team matchmaking after you play 10 matches in either of those. (You need to have 150 games in dota 2 to be able to play ranked)

More info here;
http://blog.dota2.com/2013/12/matchmaking/

Nymerio

Personally agree. When I was a newb I would always go boots first, then I eschewed them entirely, and now I've often come back to getting them fairly early as I often choose squishy heroes like Luna or Snipe.

Daawwww, that's kinda cute :)

inkls

Try playing captains mode to filter out the really dumpster people, and then only ever play solos. Take the offlane or mid every game. This way the only person affecting your lane is you, because even if youre the hc you will have to deal with your two support players in lane. I lost ~350 rating after going +100 after the first week or so, then I stopped playing trilane heroes entirely. Am now back to ~+150 from where my soloq mmr started.

I don't get it. My personal experience has been completely opposite to this. When I get in CM I often have a captain that makes stupid picks (once we had one who banned 0 pushing heroes while the other team was picking dp, dk, pl, np and they were banning anti-push heroes)

Ironically I've met far less bad teammates then in cm in ap ranked.

F!ReW!Re

I don't get it. My personal experience has been completely opposite to this. When I get in CM I often have a captain that makes stupid picks (once we had one who banned 0 pushing heroes while the other team was picking dp, dk, pl, np and they were banning anti-push heroes)

Ironically I've met far less bad teammates then in cm in ap ranked.

It's time to step up and grow a pair and pick captain yourself.
Show them how to draft!

Fuchsdh

Ehh what?Lvls?
Level's don't mean anything here. It's purely cosmetic and when you level up you get an item.
It doesn't affect your matchmaking / games in anyway.

The MMR we're talking about is MatchMaking Ranking which is a number between ~2000 - ~7000. And you get a ranking for Solo matchmaking and Team matchmaking after you play 10 matches in either of those. (You need to have 150 games in dota 2 to be able to play ranked)

More info here;
http://blog.dota2.com/2013/12/matchmaking/

Sorry, I use using level in the sense of what MMR, not a numeric level. Not being clear. Hadn't read through the matchmaking page before though so thanks for the link.

Daawwww, that's kinda cute :)

Like I said earlier, I've been playing DotA since 5.8. But I don't have the time or inclination to rush and grind through the absurd number of matches it requires to get to ranked. I'll get there when I get there at this rate...

inkls

It's time to step up and grow a pair and pick captain yourself.
Show them how to draft!

Oh i'd love to, but it isn't an option currently. My current pc doesn't load fast enough for me to pick it (waiting for parts to get delivered) and I'm not confident in my ability to pick currently (still working on it though).

F!ReW!Re

Oh i'd love to, but it isn't an option currently. My current pc doesn't load fast enough for me to pick it (waiting for parts to get delivered) and I'm not confident in my ability to pick currently (still working on it though).

Ahh that explains it, but that confidence is only gonna come when you actually draft a couple of times.
Don't be afraid to ask the rest of your teammates what they "want" or ask them for help in figuring out how to counter a specific enemy pick.

AP has been horrible because 9 out of 10 times people don't pick a support or pick 2 more mids when someone already picked a mid and/or claimed mid.

F!ReW!Re

Like I said earlier, I've been playing DotA since 5.8. But I don't have the time or inclination to rush and grind through the absurd number of matches it requires to get to ranked. I'll get there when I get there at this rate...

No worries, the number of matches is just to prevent smurf accounts getting access to the ranked system really quickly.

God Enel

I wasn't talking about boots first on every offlane hero, I was recommending it for an offlane sniper specifically.

Boots first as offlane sniper is probably gonna be a good idea every time since he's so amazingly squishy and has no escape without items.

It was my mistake as i didn't mention going "sniper boots first in every game". You don't have it to be core on every hero, agreed. As I said it's up to the lane you're facing against. I agree with you that it obviously gives you greater mobility and when you're soloing the offlane it's really important and core(?) to go boots first. In the early stages of the game, most kills come from magic dmg and it's really important to position yourself properly (i.e. staying out of range of stuns/disables/whatever and you achieve that with said mobility/boots), because once you get stunned, you're most probably dead, as it takes one more spell and/or one/two auto-attacks.
If you're dual-laning then it's not necessity, as you can go for some more stats, that makes up for his awful low base dmg/life. (I'm not quite sure if we're talking about soloing the offlane or not).
All in all I'm kinda agreeing and disagreeing with you. :)

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Damn, this thread so angry.
Thacker, try changing your name from "Peruvian Pudge Jajajajaja"

I bet it will make a world of difference.
once you learn not to rage

manfestival

its so easy to get out of control in this game. I think the best match ive seen since deciding to watch people play was the na'vi vs liquid match yesterday. I started playing dota 2 during the end of the international (which was very confusing) so I havent seen much especially since I didnt watch any of this stuff till maybe november/december

Watching Dota 2 is about as intriguing as playing it. It has really gotten me into eSports and I basically watch Twitch.tv every day now. This game is just this good.

F!ReW!Re

. (I'm not quite sure if we're talking about soloing the offlane or not).
All in all I'm kinda agreeing and disagreeing with you. :)

It's fine ;-) And yeah we we're talking about a solo offlane sniper, since that's the new flavor of the month (reddit threads + Bulldog running a solo sniper offlane regularly on his stream).

The advise everyone gives "newbs" is never to go bottle or boots as a starting item.
But like we both pointed out, there's exceptions to that rule (an example when to get boots first; most squishy solo offlaners going against a clockwerk need boots first since he can just walk up, cog + battery assault = squishy offlaner dead)

So there's actually no disagreement on both our sides ;-)

God Enel

It's fine ;-) And yeah we we're talking about a solo offlane sniper, since that's the new flavor of the month (reddit threads + Bulldog running a solo sniper offlane regularly on his stream).

The advise everyone gives "newbs" is never to go bottle or boots as a starting item.
But like we both pointed out, there's exceptions to that rule (an example when to get boots first; most squishy solo offlaners going against a clockwerk need boots first since he can just walk up, cog + battery assault = squishy offlaner dead)

So there's actually no disagreement on both our sides ;-)

Ah haven't seen neither a reddit-thread about sniper off lane nor bulldog offlaning sniper. Just wanted to give my 2cents to this "debate" ;)..

btw. to be honest i would like to participate in a gaf in-house game sometime in the future but i'm always playing with my friends so what to do.. :( btw. is there a european in-house gaf? or all of you are playing on US-servers? My MMR (with friends as i don't solo-queue) is about 3.65k. So nothing special.

Nymerio

Sorry, I use using level in the sense of what MMR, not a numeric level. Not being clear. Hadn't read through the matchmaking page before though so thanks for the link.

Oh, I didn't read that :)

Pratfall

I am hesitant to do this because it will expose how much I suck, but can anyone look at this match if they get a chance and let me know what I can do better? I am the shadow shaman.

I know I used my wards at some bad times and I of course hexed a creep instead of invoker, but the game just felt out of my control (I am slightly less interested in small mechanical improvements, and more in larger strategy improvements, although both are appreciated). The brood ended up blaming the rest of the team (even though he picked brood in a pool with bounty and slardar). At some point I was just getting two shotted by bounty before I could even react. I wouldn't say the game was frustrating, I just felt like I had no idea how to help us win. Thanks.

F!ReW!Re

I am hesitant to do this because it will expose how much I suck, but can anyone look at this match if they get a chance and let me know what I can do better? I am the shadow shaman.

I know I used my wards at some bad times and I of course hexed a creep instead of invoker, but the game just felt out of my control (I am slightly less interested in small mechanical improvements, and more in larger strategy improvements, although both are appreciated). The brood ended up blaming the rest of the team (even though he picked brood in a pool with bounty and slardar). At some point I was just getting two shotted by bounty before I could even react. I wouldn't say the game was frustrating, I just felt like I had no idea how to help us win. Thanks.

Haven't watched the game yet but brood was a majorly retarded pick with both BH and Slardar on the table. It would be kinda hard to win this except if they really sucked or the rest of your team was amazing.

Granadier

Unless my math is wrong, it only takes ~200 matches to reach ranked mode.

That is hardly an absurd amount.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit i had the most awesome 1 hour match as ember spirit, i had a rough middle lane bc tinker kicked my ass and i couldn't get any farm but once i had my phase boots and drums i was able to fight much better, even got some kills. Unfortunately all our lanes were pushed in so we basically turtled for the last half game of the game but i was able to farm a bf and daedalus out of that which made killing people so much easier. At the end all our barracks were down but their mid barracks were down so we basically went yolo and just push for throne since teh guys that were in our base didn't have tp. we ended up winning thx to bounty hunter who had enough health to destroy their ancient. This shit is why i play dota so good.

http://dotabuff.com/matches/531003223

Also disregard all the times i died stupidly.

Granadier

thats ~100 hours of play time to unlock a relatively basic feature.

Yeah I would say it's a lot. There seems to be a misunderstanding on what ranked is though with a lot of people.

100 hours at the very very least, discounting time spent waiting etc.

100 hours is not much if he has been playing since 5.8 though.
I have ~200 hours and still am not in ranked.

LoL takes even longer to reach ranked play (~200 wins worth of IP)

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
People are so hateful in this game, it's insane.

I hate peruvians.

He was so close to uninstalling, why did you guys talk him out of it.

Finalow said:
didn't know abut Team Zephyr, lol. they also went to Korea in order to win vs some super low tier teams, lol. such a joke.

It's not like they took the money and ran back to the US. They're staying in Korea for at least a year and bringing more attention to the scene there, and hopefully raising the level of play.

inkls

Those people probably played those ~100 hours like idiots and no one called them out on it.

Yep, I feel horrible when I win a game with people raging the whole time and/or not listening to team, calling gg at 3-5 minutes in, blaming their teammates. Means these guys are getting a higher rank without learning anything. Almost makes me want to throw.

I mean, there's only one person who was in every game you lost, you. You're the only constant in all your games, you'd think people would realize that and take the time to analyze their own plays instead of wasting time raging at their teammates.

What do you learn if you spend the game raging at someone else? Even if you told them to get good, there's not much chances you'll see them again anyway.

Heck, I had a game where our omniknight was raging after specter for farming...

She then told him she had her ult (meaning she could join teamfights instantly), but no, keeps raging about how she doesn't stick with the team lol. That guy wasted time raging at his own team and learned nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom