• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT3| #BetterThenEllenPudge

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
I've recently found success with killing myself after getting basi + ring of regen. Quick respawn, full hp, full mana, and you don't lose any gold if you time it right. Let's you get a 6-7.5 min vlads.

I think that's the first I've ever heard of such a thing. Really showing my noobness here I guess.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Ember Spirit with Arcanes, Bottle, and Ultimate Orb.....what the fuck. Where do these idiots come from?

Honestly, it never sounds like you have fun playing Dota 2. You're too obsessed with breaking into 4k. It sounds like it's no longer about having fun with the game but what teammates you believe are between you and your goal.

Hylian7

Honestly, it never sounds like you have fun playing Dota 2. You're too obsessed with breaking into 4k. It sounds like it's no longer about having fun with the game but what teammates you believe are between you and your goal.

Oh, I do, it would just be more fun if I were to actually be able to make any MMR progress. Unfortunately I constantly get teammates in the way of that.

Edit: That Ember built MANTA, FUCKING MANTA! WHY THE FUCK WOULD ANYONE BUILD THAT ON HIM?!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I've recently found success with killing myself after getting basi + ring of regen. Quick respawn, full hp, full mana, and you don't lose any gold if you time it right. Let's you get a 6-7.5 min vlads.
What should you start with? I have been trying qb/stout/tango that I saw in a guide. Also, which creeps do you kill first?

ElyrionX

Oh, I do, it would just be more fun if I were to actually be able to make any MMR progress. Unfortunately I constantly get teammates in the way of that.

Edit: That Ember built MANTA, FUCKING MANTA! WHY THE FUCK WOULD ANYONE BUILD THAT ON HIM?!

I can't relate. I've advanced about 200 points since calibration.

Lotto

So how often does Sniper get picked in competitive now? Tong Fu just picked him up as a last pick against LGD (in which they responded with a last pick Storm Spirit.) In any case, pretty excited to see this!

Edit: I don't even recognize anyone on this Tong Fu team anymore, so many Chinese teams shuffling :(

Aaaand I should have expected that :|

NBtoaster

I mostly gave up on ranked because its too stressful. It feels good to be able to random and go dumb builds. I had fun with Midas, Dagon 5 (before boots) Brood yesterday.

Shinypogs

People like Hylian are why I'm afraid to start playing ranked matches now that I've unlocked the ability to do so. I'm worried that one bad game for me is the dozenth in a row for a teammate and I would have just made their day that much worse :(
I may as well stay in unranked where I still try my hardest but I assume no one there takes the game super serious and will be more forgiving of an mistake or off game. No hard feelings though Hylian, I like watching you stream from time to time.

Bane continues to be my new favorite hero. Although I can't tell if I'm dying less and killing more with him because I'm getting better or because he's just stronger and faster than heroes I normally play.

People like Hylian are why I'm afraid to start playing ranked matches now that I've unlocked the ability to do so. I'm worried that one bad game for me is the dozenth in a row for a teammate and I would have just made their day that much worse :(
I may as well stay in unranked where I still try my hardest but I assume no one there takes the game super serious and will be more forgiving of an mistake or off game. No hard feelings though Hylian, I like watching you stream from time to time.

Bane continues to be my new favorite hero. Although I can't tell if I'm dying less and killing more with him because I'm getting better or because he's just stronger and faster than heroes I normally play.

You'll be fine... Give it a try. Peru forgives.

Ranked is not out that long really, so you had the same in unranked earlier. Unranked still has an enormous amount of assholes that take the game way too seriously. I assume you would be getting flamed there too.

Besides that, you should not stop people from letting you play a gamemode. Unless that means you want to play Pudge/Invoker mid every game even when you already have a different mid.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Flame Shield -> Farm / Split push lanes with remant to relocate you and give you a disjoint.
Seems legit.

shira

kXSQDt0.jpg

This Red Moon Studio, wtf? Is this a commision for . . . Serbia Cup?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
What should you start with? I have been trying qb/stout/tango that I saw in a guide. Also, which creeps do you kill first?

I usually just start with qb/stout/tango (though you can do qb/rop/tango if you're greedy) and then start with the medium camp (old easy) if they aren't alpha wolves. Then I'll rotate between the two medium camps and occasionally snipe the easy camp from my lane because I'm a greedy bastard. Sometimes I'll stack and pull it for them to get my ring of regen just before suiciding if I'm close to it and out of hp/mana.

Hylian7

Flame Shield -> Farm / Split push lanes with remant to relocate you and give you a disjoint.
Seems legit.

Seems kind of lacking in the department of....everything...

Also it took him 30+ minutes to get it.

This was a safe lane ES too. I feel like if you really want to play split farm/push doto with him, Battle Fury is the better option, as that gives you something in teamfights too with your SoF. The illusions aren't really gaining anything special and Manta isn't doing much for you unless you have damage from somewhere else.

Hylian7

It won't be much different in unranked honestly. It's the same kind of thing that happens there, this is just for MMR. Believe me, I have seen people do stupid things like courier feeding and things of that nature in high 3k ranked games. Hell even when I was briefly 4K I saw that kind of thing sometimes. Just dive in and try it. Usually, the skill level is a bit better there, and there's a chance people will be willing to help. The MMR system should theoretically do it's job and put you in the right place.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
posting for anbokr

ty milk memorizing those formulas now for ur future exams--great PSA for all u nerds out there that go 1 bfury and then bitch out and try to build a deso or crit.

when u go battlefury build, u go all in and pick up AT LEAST 2; otherwise you're just straight gimping yourself--it's better to go just deso + crit if you're only going to get 1 battlefury.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
It won't be much different in unranked honestly. It's the same kind of thing that happens there, this is just for MMR. Believe me, I have seen people do stupid things like courier feeding and things of that nature in high 3k ranked games. Hell even when I was briefly 4K I saw that kind of thing sometimes. Just dive in and try it. Usually, the skill level is a bit better there, and there's a chance people will be willing to help. The MMR system should theoretically do it's job and put you in the right place.
The difference is when I played ranked everyone counter picks and I run into a Brood/Lycan stack every other game.

fuck ranked until I learn like 7 hard hero counters that can solo win a game

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
The difference is when I played ranked everyone counter picks and I run into a Brood/Lycan stack every other game.

fuck ranked until I learn like 7 hard hero counters that can solo win a game

just pick terrorblade if you want free wins, he "counters" everything by winning and being good at pretty much everything the game has to offer--pushing, team-fighting, surviving, high damage, ranged, most broken slow in the game, etc... I can go on but I'm tired.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, TB is a bottomless pit of strengths with two minor drawbacks--moderately long cast time and low cast range.

But every game has a Slark?
YOU CANT WIN

I'm going to learn solo offlane Enchant to counter TB
Also Phoenix

I'd say TB is a much better pubstomper than Slark, nothing about Slark "counters" TB per say.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
just pick terrorblade if you want free wins, he "counters" everything by winning and being good at pretty much everything the game has to offer--pushing, team-fighting, surviving, high damage, ranged, most broken slow in the game, etc... I can go on but I'm tired.
But every game has a Slark?
YOU CANT WIN

I'm going to learn solo offlane Enchant to counter TB
Also Phoenix

Sibylus

Banned
Three straight Battlefuries is a hell of a slow buildup, though. Seems unsound when it's a close game and you need punching power to come online quickly.

Shinypogs

Ranked is not out that long really, so you had the same in unranked earlier. Unranked still has an enormous amount of assholes that take the game way too seriously. I assume you would be getting flamed there too.

Besides that, you should not stop people from letting you play a gamemode. Unless that means you want to play Pudge/Invoker mid every game even when you already have a different mid.

I've been seriously yelled at less than a dozen times to my recollection. People get grouchy from time to time but I've never seen vitriol spewed at me for my actions like I see people post in screenshots on reddit. I saw more abusive language in starcraft 2 if I made it up to broodlords or went mass roach or surprise mutalisk.

It's just I still make mistakes you know, I still panic sometimes or a game goes too long and I just start buying random stuff because I had money and why the hell not. Then of course I look back if we lose and go well fuck if I'd bought x instead of y we might have won. I do better game by game but I'm still a flawed player, especially by the standards of the people here.

Ty for the support though guys.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Three straight Battlefuries is a hell of a slow buildup, though. Seems unsound when it's a close game and you need punching power to come online quickly.

People have this myth that you have to afk farm (YOU FARM HEROES) 3 battlefuries and that you won't do any noticeable damage until you get 2-3. That's just plain wrong, you will still do a shit ton of damage with 1 battlefury, probably the same amount if not more as 1 deso (and you get extra farming power and hp/mana regen), it's just that when you pick up that second bfury you can just feel your power jump exponentially as you start to 1 shot supports and creep waves.

I can see the deso build being fine in certain situations, especially with how cloud9 plays as a team and how sing plays ember specifically. He basically plays a 3 position ember, he just sets up kills as an intiator with chains + sleight and gives up all the farm to EE and his off-laner. In that case the deso build is fine, he just wants to get a quick -7 armor for his carries and has no intention of carrying into the late-game (he's got 2 other players for that).

However, if you're playing a 1 position ember or even a 2 at times, I think the battlefury build is way way way superior. One battlefury gives you comparable damage to one deso (when I say comparable, I really mean MORE), more sustainability (all the regen), and more farming potential (1 shotting creep waves). What's not to like? I'll tell you what, the fact that you are still squishy as hell and will die in the duration of a stun, but that's just ember the hero and the deso build ends up with this same achilles heel.

Anyhow I promised myself I wouldn't get roped back into this debate, and I did, FUCK YOU BO!

Kreunt

Banned
Lycan is damn good at pushing down towers, I still have no clue how to do the early game jungle well though, after I go though the second set of wolves I am normally in the spot where I debate killing my self or walking back to fountain.

the trick is to only play lycan if you have random gold

Sibylus

Banned
People have this myth that you have to afk farm (YOU FARM HEROES) 3 battlefuries and that you won't do any noticeable damage until you get 2-3. That's just plain wrong, you will still do a shit ton of damage with 1 battlefury, probably the same amount if not more as 1 deso (and you get extra farming power and hp/mana regen), it's just that when you pick up that second bfury you can just feel your power jump exponentially as you start to 1 shot supports and creep waves.

I can see the deso build being fine in certain situations, especially with how cloud9 plays as a team and how sing plays ember specifically. He basically plays a 3 position ember, he just sets up kills as an intiator with chains + sleight and gives up all the farm to EE and his off-laner. In that case the deso build is fine, he just wants to get a quick -7 armor for his carries and has no intention of carrying into the late-game (he's got 2 other players for that).

However, if you're playing a 1 position ember or even a 2 at times, I think the battlefury build is way way way superior. One battlefury gives you comparable damage to one deso (when I say comparable, I really mean MORE), more sustainability (all the regen), and more farming potential (1 shotting creep waves). What's not to like? I'll tell you what, the fact that you are still squishy as hell and will die in the duration of a stun, but that's just ember the hero and the deso build ends up with this same achilles heel.

Anyhow I promised myself I wouldn't get roped back into this debate, and I did, FUCK YOU BO!
I wasn't suggesting it necessarily lead to an AFK farming role, just that I've yet to really be impressed by a pure BF build, compared to stuff like BF with crits and other damage items. Maybe I'm a glutton for big red numbers, iunno. The chip-chip-chip of cumulative sleights is nonetheless effective, don't get me wrong.

Anyhow, thanks for sharing your reasoning. 'Tis food for thought.

NO, FUCK YOU BOKR

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Lycan is damn good at pushing down towers, I still have no clue how to do the early game jungle well though, after I go though the second set of wolves I am normally in the spot where I debate killing my self or walking back to fountain.
You suicide

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I wasn't suggesting it necessarily lead to an AFK farming role, just that I've yet to really be impressed by a pure BF build, compared to stuff like BF with crits and other damage items. Maybe I'm a glutton for big red numbers, iunno. The chip-chip-chip of cumulative sleights is nonetheless effective, don't get me wrong.

Anyhow, thanks for sharing your reasoning. 'Tis food for thought.

NO, FUCK YOU BOKR

Oh don't get me wrong, the red numbers are amazing and I've always gone Daedalus after 2 bfuries, but this image makes me rethink that with the actual math implying 3 bfuries in a row is the way to go instead of 2.

I wonder though if the dude accounted for going bfury --> bfury --> crystalis --> bfury, maybe that gives you more bang for your buck idk.

Sibylus

Banned
I wish that Hero calculator I found didn't double-up the stats on items, makes it kinda halfway counterproductive to look things like that up.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Damage numbers are cool, but burst is valued inherently higher.
I haven't played enough Ember games (5W 2L when he was new) but I went:

Guess the 2 Losses!
First and last. I had a Rapier my first Ember game, but my team was so bad.
U5A7q93.png

Need more Skadi on position 2/3 Ember.

Hylian7

I know it won't happen, but I hope IceFrog nerf Mirana into the ground next patch. I'm so goddamn tired of having some matches where I'm just an arrow magnet, and I"m actively trying to dodge them, and then get hit by one from an angle I completely didn't expect.

Aaron

I know it won't happen, but I hope IceFrog nerf Mirana into the ground next patch. I'm so goddamn tired of having some matches where I'm just an arrow magnet, and I"m actively trying to dodge them, and then get hit by one from an angle I completely didn't expect.
Though saving a teammate with a longshot arrow is a great feeling, I admit the hitbox for it is overly generous. I've connected with clear misses. Her ult is also a great setup for terrible things.

Hylian7

Though saving a teammate with a longshot arrow is a great feeling, I admit the hitbox for it is overly generous. I've connected with clear misses. Her ult is also a great setup for terrible things.

Or losing your lane because you have no idea where Mirana is and you just happen to get hit with an arrow and die immediately. It's incredibly frustrating.

lol get the same dude twice in a row, he plays the same hero twice in a row (TA), feeds the same way twice in a row (2-12 the second game)

i just love 7 am Dota dont even know why i do this to myself

She isn't OP. He won't nerf her and neither should he. Try to not suck.

Aaron

lol get the same dude twice in a row, he plays the same hero twice in a row (TA), feeds the same way twice in a row (2-12 the second game)

i just love 7 am Dota dont even know why i do this to myself
I played a game where the sole person on voice chat only spoke Russian. He was polite and a good player, probably trying to give us advice, but we couldn't understand a word.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

You know mirana is actually the #1 or #2 most commonly picked competitive hero right now with a 58% in 6.80. That's pretty impressive considering she's also a common first and second round ban. I wouldn't be surprised if she got the nerf bat, 90% of the time Icefrog just slaps the most popular competitive heroes and buffs the unpopular ones--the basic cycle of dota. The magnitude of these nerfs usually depends on more than just the raw stats, but even heroes that aren't necessarily break-your-keyboard overpowered will get minor nerfs to discourage them from being picked up so frequently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom