• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT4| The saga of Vade and ReRixo: the Boat Anchors continues.

Blehhh. Anyone else bored of C9/EG/Navi/Fnatic/Empire/TL? Why does it feel like these are the only teams I see recently? The past couple weeks have been so saturated with these teams.

No one's stopping you from watching Asian games or lower tier tournaments.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Blehhh. Anyone else bored of C9/EG/Navi/Fnatic/Empire/TL? Why does it feel like these are the only teams I see recently? The past couple weeks have been so saturated with these teams.

Gah!

I hate watching the Twins/Red Sox/Brewers/Tigers/Yankees/Pirates/A's/Cardinals/Blue Jays/Orioles/.... etc.

Sports have teams. Top teams get the most attention.

shira

are you being sarcastic...?

Well maybe if we did we would win TI4

T-minus 100 days
t1405710000z4.png

blog_tickets_ti4.jpg

How can anyone be sick of a revitalised EG and a new team in C9 and a dominating Empire.

All we had last year was Alliance, then Mouz pretending for a little bit.

inkls

ugh, there should be a a circle of hell just for people who don't pick up gems so that the enemy team can prevent you from splitpushing because you apparently ks'd them...

how can people be so petty

sixghost

This is something I've been meaning to ask for a while, when you are playing support in a trilane, how are you supposed to gank the opposing safelane? Do you TP to the T2 in that lane then smoke, or should you just smoke somewhere behind your mid T2 and walk through the river into their jungle? The latter always seems to get the smoke broken by someone we can't see.

Sibylus

Banned
F4E7341C4DC2CE5E50EC228707678C95565686C4

06DA4F06142889A06D2A36942F627C1DEF67A67E

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=245800271

In rode the Lord of the Nazgûl. A great black shape against the fires beyond he loomed up, grown to a vast menace of despair. In rode the Lord of the Nazgûl, under the archway that no enemy ever yet had passed, and all fled before his face.
All save one. There waiting, silent and still in the space before the Gate, sat Gandalf upon Shadowfax: Shadowfax who alone among the free horses of the earth endured the terror, unmoving, steadfast as a graven image in Rath Dínen.

"You cannot enter here," said Gandalf, and the huge shadow halted. "Go back to the abyss prepared for you! Go back! Fall into the nothingness that awaits you and your Master. Go!"

The Black Rider flung back his hood, and behold! he had a kingly crown; and yet upon no head visible was it set. The red fires shone between it and the mantled shoulders vast and dark. From a mouth unseen there came a deadly laughter.

"Old fool!" he said. "Old fool! This is my hour. Do you not know Death when you see it? Die now and curse in vain!" And with that he lifted high his sword and flames ran down the blade.

And in that very moment, away behind in some courtyard of the city, a cock crowed. Shrill and clear he crowed, recking nothing of war nor of wizardry, welcoming only the morning that in the sky far above the shadows of death was coming with the dawn.
And as if in answer there came from far away another note. Horns, horns, horns, in dark Mindolluin's sides they dimly echoed. Great horns of the north wildly blowing. Rohan had come at last.”

More LoTR sets plz

BeesEight

Well, for me, I have to sleep so I'm only conscious for western games. The International Qualifiers are going to start soon so we'll get a lot more variety in who's being discussed, I bet.

Quesa

So can us scumbags who aren't going to the international set something up with people who are so you can buy us exclusive merch n stuff

also playing with youtube personalities is weird as heck

Hylian7

There's a reason I never play support.

http://dotabuff.com/matches/601312090

It's basically almost all of my support games ever. I try to mimic what I see pros do and stuff and it never works, I just die as I try to do anything useful because I am too squishy. Keep dying because I have no farm. Can't contribute to ganks because if I even look at the other team I'm already dead. Everything that could go wrong did. I tried to smoke gank the Invoker mid with Centaur, guess what, he happened to start walking the other way and I couldn't catch him because I had no fucking boots because I had no farm.

I honestly have no idea how people play support, because every time I try it I just do terrible at it. The only games where I play support and win are under one of the following circumstances:

1. A teammate is snowballing out of control (Pudge, Terrorblade, etc.)
2. It's some really cheesy combo that works well (KotL + PL of old, Void + Skywrath, etc.)
3. The other team is lot worse than we are
4. Sheer force of luck

Kalnos

Banned
hey nerds, is there any extension for firefox so I dont have to open a new tab to see those fancy webms?

I don't know what it would be called for Firefox but I like Imagus for chrome. You hover over the link and it comes up in a smaller window until you hover off of it.

EDIT: Maybe this one?

@Hylian

Your team comp hurt you quite a bit since it looks like you were forced to buy all support items. I dunno, whenever I'm shadow shaman I just push towers with serpent wards.

Hylian7

I don't know what it would be called for Firefox but I like Imagus for chrome. You hover over the link and it comes up in a smaller window until you hover off of it.

EDIT: Maybe this one?

@Hylian

Your team comp hurt you quite a bit since it looks like you were forced to buy all support items. I dunno, whenever I'm shadow shaman I just push towers with serpent wards.

I tried to do that and they fortified, Clockwerk hooked in, killed me and managed to get the deny on the tower while the wards were hitting it...

Aaron

I go shadow blade. Push towers and catch out single enemies with the wards. Might not work on the pro scene, but pubs don't ward effectively enough if you rotate. Putting mech on such a fragile hero is also something of a waste.

Hylian7

I go shadow blade. Push towers and catch out single enemies with the wards. Might not work on the pro scene, but pubs don't ward effectively enough if you rotate. Putting mech on such a fragile hero is also something of a waste.
Ain't nobody got farm for that though.

It's basically almost all of my support games ever. I try to mimic what I see pros do and stuff and it never works, I just die as I try to do anything useful because I am too squishy. Keep dying because I have no farm. Can't contribute to ganks because if I even look at the other team I'm already dead. Everything that could go wrong did. I tried to smoke gank the Invoker mid with Centaur, guess what, he happened to start walking the other way and I couldn't catch him because I had no fucking boots because I had no farm.

I honestly have no idea how people play support, because every time I try it I just do terrible at it. The only games where I play support and win are under one of the following circumstances:

2. It's some really cheesy combo that works well (KotL + PL of old, Void + Skywrath, etc.)
4. Sheer force of luck
Work on your positioning and map awareness. If you're dying that much it's because you're in places you're not supposed to be.

If you feel you're just a bit too squishy buy a quick and cheap casual bracer.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Well, support's not easy.

It's a rough life.

4. Sheer force of luck

Do you feel like you played Shaman well in general? I'm not watching the replay but generally speaking, as Shaman you're only in the line of fire long enough to get off a hex and ether shock. drop wards when appropriate and only shackle when it's safe or wise (read: when you won't get instantly stunned out or murdered by an angry team...when your entire team is about to descend on the target or if it's needed to buy someone more important time arrive/escape/fight someone else). Your goal as support is to stick & move; not tank shots and lead charges. Get in, drop your shit, and kite around until your shit is off cooldown again unless it's safe to stand and autoattack.

As with anything, practice makes perfect. If you don't spend any time playing support, you won't get any better at it or comfortable with the alternate playstyle. Also, there's no reason to gank with a hero that doesn't have some sort of range stun if you don't yet have boots. If you want to gank Invoker mid as Centaur, either your mid needs a way to disable them, you need to come in from his high ground while he's in the river (such that they can't get away), or you need a support with a disable to go with you to set you up. Or maybe just pick a support that's...you know...a support. That can roam better. Lastly, maybe you should practice lane control, creep equilibrium and double pulling mechanics. There's no reason to be penniless unless you're not making good use of your time.

Watch some of Anuxi's old support training tutorials on YouTube and read some resources. You'll get it. Then comes practice. It's unacceptable to be thousands of games into your career and not be comfortable in any role. You can't have mid all the time, and you can't fucking suck when you're not mid. You can't be satisfied with that, and anything else is an excuse. And as my fraternity big brothers used to say during my pledging days,

"Excuses are monuments of nothingness, which build bridges that lead to nowhere. Those who use these tools of incompetence are masters of nothing."

There's no short cut to being good at any role in Dotes (or anything else in life). Accepting that you have "no idea how to play support" cannot be the final, acceptable analysis for you if your goal in general is to get better. No excuses. Put in your due diligence like everyone has to. You'll get it.

Madouu

You lost the clowny trilane vs trilane at 2 minutes mainly because you were initiating wrong. An important skill of playing support is reading the lane you are in and appraising your strengths and weaknesses which should tell you how you need to play. In this case, initiating with shackles at level 1 against both a mirana arrow and kunkka's torrent was just a disaster waiting to happen, especially when your two allied heroes are melee. Trying to gank mid is good, but chasing an invoker with phase boots when you still don't have marchers is not. You canot play a support hero if you can't judge the situation you are in > every mistake gets paid cash.

As a support, it is generally early on that you will have the most impact, your skills are precious, you canot waste them. Patience is key. If you're having a nightmare start like in this game, you should recognize that your impact will be limited early on and focus on being efficient, aka please don't feed.

You lost the clowny trilane vs trilane at 2 minutes mainly because you were initiating wrong. An important skill of playing support is reading the lane you are in and appraising your strengths and weaknesses which should tell you how you need to play. In this case, initiating with shackles at level 1 against both a mirana arrow and kunkka's torrent was just a disaster waiting to happen, especially when your two allied heroes are melee. Trying to gank mid is good, but chasing an invoker with phase boots when you still don't have marchers is not. You canot play a support hero if you can't judge the situation you are in > every mistake gets paid cash.

As a support, it is generally early on that you will have the most impact, your skills are precious, you canot waste them. Patience is key. If you're having a nightmare start like in this game, you should recognize that your impact will be limited early on and focus on being efficient, aka please don't feed.
Hylian, surely you didn't.

Surely.

Haly

Lol, Kunk/Mirana/Doom trilane, jesus that's the worst tri I've ever seen.

Anyway, you should've just taken Centaur top to box out CW.

Haly

Shackles 1 is fine for an offensive tri, which is what they were trying to do...

Except they ran into Mirana/Kunkka.

NBtoaster

It looks like he didnt see the Kunkka was there. And shackles level 1 is usually the correct choice.

Though I don't know why either team trilaned that.

Haly

This is a good example of why you should never level your first skill point until you're sure of what you need.

Madouu

I think it just comes from lack of experience on a hero, I have gone for very bad skill builds in particular situations myself on some heroes I am not experienced with. In Hylian's defense, his logic was probably that shackles would be best to get an early kill in a 3v2 situation, he probably didn't expect three heroes in the lane. The decision making as a support is what he needs to work on.

Shackles first is fine in some situations, even in this one it could've worked out if it was used differently.

This is a good example of why you should never level your first skill point until you're sure of what you need.

Yeah, although in this case they tried to go for a badly executed first blood with shackles right before Kunkka showed himself in lane.

The particular play I'm referencing in my first post is right after though. He has established that it is a doom/mirana/kunkka vs ss/centaur/bh trilane and yet chose to shackle the doom resulting in his death.

Aaron

Shackles 1 is fine for an offensive tri, which is what they were trying to do...

Except they ran into Mirana/Kunkka.
With melee heroes that are also strangers? I can't see that doing anything unless you get really lucky, or the other team is really awful. It's also a good reason why you shouldn't skill until you get in lane.

sfedai0

Banned
Not sure mek and dagger was a good choice....unless that was an early dagger. Force staff or euls, and scept would have been better, especially with a clock. Hex, wards, lightening, and gtfo. Re-engage with shackle when its safe.

Mordeccai

Is there a way for me to search for pro games on dotabuff with clockwerk in them? Just randomed him, gave him a spin for the second time and totally destroyed my offlane, didn't miss a hook the entire game which was damn satisfying. No other hero I've played has the ability to fuck you from 3k units away out of absolutely nowhere. Wanting to watch some higher skilled players behind the wheel to pick up a little bit more about the hero.

Also I built treads and wand, was able to rush aghs because I got four kills in lane, then went blademail and AC. Smart choices?

Gofu

Banned
Do you feel like you played Shaman well in general? I'm not watching the replay but generally speaking, as Shaman you're only in the line of fire long enough to get off a hex and ether shock. drop wards when appropriate and only shackle when it's safe or wise (read: when you won't get instantly stunned out or murdered by an angry team...when your entire team is about to descend on the target or if it's needed to buy someone more important time arrive/escape/fight someone else). Your goal as support is to stick & move; not tank shots and lead charges. Get in, drop your shit, and kite around until your shit is off cooldown again unless it's safe to stand and autoattack.

As with anything, practice makes perfect. If you don't spend any time playing support, you won't get any better at it or comfortable with the alternate playstyle. Also, there's no reason to gank with a hero that doesn't have some sort of range stun if you don't yet have boots. If you want to gank Invoker mid as Centaur, either your mid needs a way to disable them, you need to come in from his high ground while he's in the river (such that they can't get away), or you need a support with a disable to go with you to set you up. Or maybe just pick a support that's...you know...a support. That can roam better. Lastly, maybe you should practice lane control, creep equilibrium and double pulling mechanics. There's no reason to be penniless unless you're not making good use of your time.

Watch some of Anuxi's old support training tutorials on YouTube and read some resources. You'll get it. Then comes practice. It's unacceptable to be thousands of games into your career and not be comfortable in any role. You can't have mid all the time, and you can't fucking suck when you're not mid. You can't be satisfied with that, and anything else is an excuse. And as my fraternity big brothers used to say during my pledging days,

"Excuses are monuments of nothingness, which build bridges that lead to nowhere. Those who use these tools of incompetence are masters of nothing."

There's no short cut to being good at any role in Dotes (or anything else in life). Accepting that you have "no idea how to play support" cannot be the final, acceptable analysis for you if your goal in general is to get better. No excuses. Put in your due diligence like everyone has to. You'll get it.

Deep as fuck. Hope he listens to your advice. He never listens to mine.

Haly

With melee heroes that are also strangers?

Well, there's absolutely no point picking Shadow Shaman unless you're also taking Shackles early. Ether Shock does great damage for a level 1 skill and all, but you're not picking Shadow Shaman to harass, you're doing it to lock people down!

Top Bottom