• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT5| TECHIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Fantasy Leagues are the stupidest thing ever right now.

Teams don't play equal amounts of games, so you win by just grabbing the players that are in the most games.

Should be counting TI4 games only.

ViviOggi

All this beef

Dm8QvRW.gif

kvk1

What's everyone's preferred solo queue mode these days?

I know All Pick still reigns king, but other than that.

Anyone solo Captain's Mode regularly? What are your experiences?

Wut? All Pick is the worst. AR and SD are great modes.

Unless you're talking about Ranked, in which case they're all pretty bad. I've played a grand total of 2 CD games, and they were surprisingly positive experiences, though I don't have the patience to sit through the draft every single time unless I'm the one drafting.

inkls

captain mode is pretty fun. Most of the nice players I've met have been through cm. I also enjoy discussing draft ideas with the captain and the rest of the team.

Razzer

Yeah, that post didn't actually convey the message I wanted to.
What I tried to say is that if you write your opinions of the state of the game with the confidence that should belong to a player like arteezy, you are going to get shit talked.
I mean, how many people haven't gotten shit talked for PLOP PLOP PLOP.
On the other hand, if you write that you think something seems imbalanced, but have an open mind to ask or read other people's comments about what you could do about it, I don't think there hasn't been very many instances of it devolving into people getting shit talked right away.

This is fairly true. The fact that your aren't claiming absolutes means you are probably right, with some exceptions.

As for solo queue, I tried CM and CD a bit, and whilst I enjoyed it, my AP experience isn't so bad that I am willing to give up superior queue times. In fact I find the awfulness of AP Dota to be exaggerated, though I may just be lucky.

Ultimatum

Banned
I just play all pick ranked and play whatever I feel like at the time no matter the lineup

I'll just focus on whatever I want to improve on, I'll save tryhard drafting for stacks

kvk1

Wut? All Pick is the worst. AR and SD are great modes.

Unless you're talking about Ranked, in which case they're all pretty bad. I've played a grand total of 2 CD games, and they were surprisingly positive experiences, though I don't have the patience to sit through the draft every single time unless I'm the one drafting.

I meant that AP is probably the most popular mode for people queuing. No question it's arguably nowhere near optimal in terms of balance/quality.

All Draft would be amazing, but I don't think it's going to happen.

captain mode is pretty fun. Most of the nice players I've met have been through cm. I also enjoy discussing draft ideas with the captain and the rest of the team.

Yeah, this seems to be the general consensus. Thinking of giving it a long-term shot.

inkls

yeah, okay buddy
I just play Random Draft or Single Draft if I solo queue.

dude, win a TI, then you can trashtalk.

Yeah, this seems to be the general consensus. Thinking of giving it a long-term shot.

expect some bad games though. Bad captains will happen and so will players who say nothing during the draft and proceed to pick a hero you were supposed to.

bbd23

used to be all random and random draft

then for some reason I returned to All Pick..

think im going back to AR and RD

it was more fun

Speaking of dotabuff, after a month with plus, I really feel underwhelmed with their "advanced statistics." To be quite honest, the whole matchups/hero counters stats are about as ambiguous as the hero performance bar in the game client. It gives me no useful information other than bragging rights (or perhaps scouting information on opponents). None of their paywell metrics point to specific areas of improvement for the individual player. It's really disappointing since in a game like DOTA, real solid advanced metrics can be easily developed since all actions/inputs are logged. Off the top of my head, stuff that could be pulled easily would be

for each hero...
average CS@10 min
average CS@20 min
average KDA@10 min
average KDA@ 20 min

Which just scratches the surface.

The shocking thing is that Dotabuff already polls CS @ 10 min on a global level, just not for individual players. The only neat thing from dotabuff I've seen thus far is it gives you a record for players you've played multiple games with/against (too bad outside of my friends, no one I've played with/against gets past that 3 game threshold)

What are some stats you guys would like to see tracked?

Yeah, that post didn't actually convey the message I wanted to.
What I tried to say is that if you write your opinions of the state of the game with the confidence that should belong to a player like arteezy, you are going to get shit talked.
I mean, how many people haven't gotten shit talked for PLOP PLOP PLOP.
On the other hand, if you write that you think something seems imbalanced, but have an open mind to ask or read other people's comments about what you could do about it, I don't think there hasn't been very many instances of it devolving into people getting shit talked right away.

i'll start by saying i only quoted that specific post of yours because 1) it happened recently 2) it was concise and 3) i just happened to remember it. but i'm not singling you out, nor do i hold any grudges -- against you or anyone here

but, my opinion on this matter wasn't formed overnight, and i've been here seeing the same thing happen so many times i've lost count by now. last time i complained about, say, mirana, i didn't even go into detail, yet i had at least a few people going on about how it only works in the trench where people don't buy detection and can't control their camera to dodge the arrows. nevermind that her winrate is the same across all brackets, that she dominated the na qualifiers and rtz, when asked the other day, which heroes he'd remove from the game, picked mirana and doom. so, i'm not buying that. it happens because of a number of reasons -- they way it's said matters, but it's not really all there is to it

i don't call people names in my posts either -- well, most of the time -- yet people always start throwing shit in the discussions. again, it's the internet and idgaf, but you're implying i start these things, when i don't. nor do i address specific posters before they address me -- except this time

either way i've written too much about this, so i'm probably not replying about it again

tl;dr i'm talking about the game without talking shit about people. not everyone is doing that, however

BeesEight

Teams don't play equal amounts of games, so you win by just grabbing the players that are in the most games.

How else will I dominate my friends who all immediate snatched up Alliance/EG/Na'Vi players while I just filled my team with Chinese qualifiers?

I'm hoping to have this league won before the main event even rolls around.

Funny thing is that given the format of the International, teams don't play the same amount of games either. IE, my TI3 roster consisted mostly of Tongfu players and they gained a lot of points only because they played more games than the other top tier teams (if you had orange, you probably cleaned up big time). Picking up Alliance and Na'Vi players netted you less points despite their dominant single game performances.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
>('.')> Give more stretch goals

Also, I think I may need a more robust webhost, at least for the data base. I fixed an error that was causing steam ids to be slightly randomized, and after fixing it data collection basically increased 10 fold and the server admin sent me an angry email about using all the servers resources on a shared web server.

Zeth

Solo queue? Never All Pick. I like Single Draft and Random Draft. Though I never queue to begin with because I fear having a terrible experience.

Quesa

I like this thread way better when it's being real than when it's suffering from patch deprivation and stretch goalitus

Dreavus

I've been solo queuing in ability draft lately and it's alright. Highlights were the Nyx I built with riki's Ult, double edge, and venom gale.

3 things that I don't like:

1. Sucks when you get given a hero with absolute shit stats like alchemist. Adds salt to the wound when his ultimate is extremely good on lots of heroes (with better stats than him).

2. The whole "if I manually cast this orb effect with my melee hero, I get an instant-hit ranged attack" is very counter intuitive.

3. The first few picks are so goddamn important that there should almost be another way to determine it. The absolute worst is when your early picking team mate chooses something random instead of something powerful.

Other than that there are some fun combos to be had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom