• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT5| TECHIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Support voker. Sniper gets priority. Level up Cold Snap, get brown boots, then go ham.

Probably safelane although I guarantee you'll make mid very very sad if you duo'd it like that. 10 years since last hit.

Can someone explain this compendium thing to me?

Hi Rizzi. Everything you want to know is in here:

http://www.dota2.com/international/compendium/

It's just an ingame item with some information about The International tournament.
Some nice items you will get when you buy one:
- battle bonus
- 2 couriers (lt. squawkins and mini pudge)
- TI4 HUD
- Loading Screens
- immortal items
- changes some animations like TP, blink, healing into purple depending on your compendium level

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Support voker. Sniper gets priority. Level up Cold Snap, get brown boots, then go ham.

Probably safelane although I guarantee you'll make mid very very sad if you duo'd it like that. 10 years since last hit.
I'm thinking mid so voker can stack hard and easy camp for when MoM comes online and voker can mid / push while sniper farms close.
Also it's hilarious.

Assuming Radiant of course. If Dire then safe lane unless our team doesn't pick a mid.

Haly

It'll be a cold day in hell when Chair beats 1.09 mid.

Lotto

Sand King > Spectre confirmed

Edit: Does Black^ know Chinese? He does pretty well considering if he doesn't. Except for that fight.

Rizzi

Hi Rizzi. Everything you want to know is in here:

http://www.dota2.com/international/compendium/

It's just an ingame item with some information about The International tournament.
Some nice items you will get when you buy one:
- battle bonus
- 2 couriers (lt. squawkins and mini pudge)
- TI4 HUD
- Loading Screens
- immortal items
- changes some animations like TP, blink, healing into purple depending on your compendium level

What is an immortal item?

Mohasus

Sand King > Spectre confirmed

Edit: Does Black^ know Chinese? He does pretty well considering if he doesn't. Except for that fight.

IIRC LGD.int players had chinese classes. And he has lived there for a while now, so I think he knows basic chinese at least.

An item there is no longer obtainable in game/store. Only through other players.

Wok

I think we will reach all the stretch goals, but not earlier than 20 days before TI4, so around the end of June, beginning of July.

Haly

How good is this Transistor game because Bastion was gorgeous and legit boring. Like Odin Sphere without Gwendolyn.

Lotto

ZSMJ not making it to another TI would suck pretty hard. Chances for them are really low now with this 4 way tie going on. I think GoDz said that CIS need to lose their next game or something for them to have a shot at qualifying. These next few games are gonna be tense.

Qvoth

i really think the prize pool will slowdown now, especially with those new stretch goals

if only valve did a "create/choose a new hero to be added" then definitely it will easily reach 10 million

It's just a purely cosmetic item. At the end of every match, you have a small chance of getting cosmetic items. They are categorized as common, uncommon, rare, mythical, legendary, etc. You can also buy one directly from the store.

Immortal items are items that you cannot get as a drop and also cannot be bought form the store. For example, if there are 50 immortal items right now, it will remain at that count and you can only obtain it via trading with other people. They tend to be very rare so they are high in prices though this is not always the case.

Here's some of the immortal items given last TI:
http://dota2.gamepedia.com/The_Immortal_Reliquary

Razzer

About the prize pool/stretch goals, it's possible Valve don't want it to get much higher. If things get to even more ridiculous levels, they have to match that next year. It's setting a standard so high that it may make them uncomfortable, I mean how do you top this?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

The item is guaranteed to only be distributed during a single event, and after that Valve won't hand any more out.

The items given out will likely be entire hero sets that also modify spell effects.

Also, I have now installed my Database onto the Amazon cloud thingy, and rented out a high grade Amazon Virtual Servery thing server for 3 hour for the price of a quarter. Now lets see what happens if my "Search Match History for users then check all their items" script to run once a minute.

About the prize pool/stretch goals, it's possible Valve don't want it to get much higher. If things get to even more ridiculous levels, they have to match that next year. It's setting a standard so high that it may make them uncomfortable, I mean how do you top this?

That's probably the case. If it gets to like $10m that means (assuming distribution like last 3 TI's) a tournament where the first place team is taking home $6m+. Winning that tournament immediately makes the team members millionaires lol. The expectation would be that they kept going up and I have severe doubts everyone paid for their compendiums using cash which means Valve is starting to front more money than they anticipated.

Wok

i really think the prize pool will slowdown now, especially with those new stretch goals

if only valve did a "create/choose a new hero to be added" then definitely it will easily reach 10 million

The prize pool will still reach 10 million two to three weeks before TI4 starts. The thing is Valve does not want to have to add even more stretch goals, they are already out of good ideas for stretch goals. Next time, they will just put one unlikely goal such as 15 million Techies and nothing else between 10 million and 15 million. We will see an acceleration of the donations during the last two weeks so that people reach level 100, but the prize pool cannot make it past 14-15 million.

MadGear

Headshot + Cold Snap, ultimate annoyance.

To me the flat 40% procc chance of Headshot is already super annoying, this sounds like a nightmare :D

But then we would get techies because everyone has heard of them and next TI everyone would/should be asking for a stretch goal for them to be removed from DOTA 2 forever. So they better give us pitlord first and everything else besides techies after. Even new heroes should be prioritized :D It's not that i don't like techies, it just for the best of Dota.

The reason it'll slow down is probably not because of the lackluster stretch goals but primarily because of those that wanted a compendium and a high compendium level might have achieved that by now. Ofc if the immortals actually turn out to be good (with the imo ugly HUD thats not a given) some might spent some additional money to get more immortals. And iirc at compendium level 70 or 80 you get 3 extra immortals instead of one, so some might even go for that.

The prize pool will still reach 10 million two to three weeks before TI4 starts. The thing is Valve does not want to have to add even more stretch goals, they are already out of good ideas for stretch goals. Next time, they will just put one unlikely goal such as 15 million Techies and nothing else between 10 million and 15 million. We will see an acceleration of the donations during the last two weeks so that people reach level 100, but the prize pool cannot make it past 14-15 million.

$15m is incomprehensible. That means the first place team is making $2m per player. That is insane. As it is, isn't this gearing up to be the single biggest event in eSports history? I haven't heard much about it but it seems LoL kind of gave up on outdoing Valve in terms of prize pools, which is impressive considering their parent company is one of the biggest publishers on earth.

Lotto

Damn, I won't be able to catch these tie breakers... These Chinese games are so long but so good @_@ Oh well, I hope to see HGT by some miracle make it through when I wake up.

Reckoner

Damn, I won't be able to catch these tie breakers... These Chinese games are so long but so good @_@ Oh well, I hope to see HGT by some miracle make it through when I wake up.

I watched a match some minutes ago that ended at 9 minutes. I wasn't paying much attention, though.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So if Dream Time wins, there will be a single three way tie Breaker Set to determine 2nd/3rd/4th. If Dream Time loses, it will be two sets of Tie Breaker games. The 2nd/3rd place game, and a 3 way tie for 4th.

Arcticfox

So when two teams are tied the head to head match during the group stage does not count as a tiebreaker? I guess I shouldn't complain about more DOTA while I am awake.

Do you guys also notice that compendium points drop rarely for those who have the compendium but drops generously for those who haven't?

My friends and my sister who doesn't have a compendium almost always get one at the end of the match even if they don't play extensively. Me on the other hand grinds games for a whole day and considers myself lucky if I receive one.

I'm jelly of my friend who has about 16 pieces of those sweet compendium points. It's sitting in his inventory, mocking me...

Zeth

Holy shit - are tournaments you own tickets for available to watch indefinitely? Most recent Starladder for instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom