• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT5| TECHIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

inkls

Interesting bot game. Got added by the most obvious scammer ever who tried to scam me out of my captain bamboo. CM also tried to make the courier drop the AC that was on the way to me, but I spotted her before she could. Some people are just the worst.

manfestival

man, the set really is divisive, eh? heheh. I'm okay with that. I still like it ;).

thanks for posting the update, Ikuu. I'm glad they lowered the goals, though I'm still disappointed with how the sales have been overall. I'm happy people are able to get all the items. I really hope just because some of you dont like the LS set means you won't buy the compendium.. you're getting like 5 other sweet things with it besides the set.

haven't been posting much since I'm away from home, but we should have a pretty big drop coming up in the next few days.

fyi I love the set. ESL is great and so is red moon.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Why does it seem some people hate techies and don't want him in? Meepo and invoker don't ruin the game. Why would techies? I didn't play dota og.
They weren't semi global instant death hazards. The sentry cost alone...

Would you really want Riki put in pubs?

Wait... I've been thinking the wrong way. Why should I counter pick techies when I can just PLAY techies? ES all over again.

Deadstar

They weren't semi global instant death hazards. The sentry cost alone...

Would you really want Riki put in pubs?

Wait... I've been thinking the wrong way. Why should I counter pick techies when I can just PLAY techies? ES all over again.

Interesting. Well I mainly play single draft so it won't be too much of an issue for me I don't think. Random draft is also not bad.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Why does it seem some people hate techies and don't want him in? Meepo and invoker don't ruin the game. Why would techies? I didn't play dota og.

Because you have two likely scenarios with techies:
1) You play against a godly techies who gets a fast aghs and makes the game miserable for everyone, becoming super-omega-tron-prime godmode tinker by launching bombs at you from 1300 yards away. Good luck ever taking a tower again.
2) You have a typical redditor on your team that has been screaming "TEEECHIESS TEEECHIES I LUVVV TECHIES" for the last year and he instalocks techies, goes mid, feeds incessantly, throws midlane, and single-handedly loses the game for everyone. Good luck ever wanting to queue for dota again.

There's no middle ground here. However, most of us old dota 1 players have tainted memories of techies, he's been changed and buffed significantly since then so maybe he's finally reached that stage where someone can still suck ass with him but have an impact on the game.

I've also heard from several of my buddies that still play dota1 that techies is the fotm hero over there and pretty annoying/overpowered in pubs. We'll see though, I don't usually trust them and dota1 is hardly the balance metric that it used to be.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I expect ES-like changes to Techies on launch. The Dota 1 collective info and skill average are going to be catapulted on Dota 2 launch.

Hylian7

Those matches I played of Dota 1 for funzies
and feedzies
definitely had what I would consider 2k or 1k MMR in Dota 2. Wonky lanes out the wazoo, the absolute weirdest item choices, 3-5 unshared couriers sitting in the fountain, and more. I played Tinker once and my team looked at me like I was stupid for buying a Blink Dagger on him.

Techies was good in unorganized pubs, where people will walk across obvious mine/trap spots without thinking twice and dropping a sentry. I was by no means a good Techies, but I actually won one of the two matches I played with him simply because we could defend uphill so well, and then were able to secure victory.

I really think Techies can be a good mid or semi-support. His attacks do barely anything, but the range on them is absurd. If I'm not mistaken, it's long enough for him to stand a bit back from the river and hit someone across the river. The enemy mid leaves at all and the tower is probably toast.

BeesEight

Hasn't it been said that the average player in Dota 2 is better than Dota 1? I could have sworn some people were mentioning that the access and ease of information for understanding the game is more widespread now than it was before.

I suspect Techies is going to be Meepo all over again. People love the idea of the hero, he releases and most people perform poorly on him since he seems to be really affected by true sight and then falls to the bottom of the most played heroes list. There will probably be a lot of games lost on his first appearance but the same could be said when Earth Spirit or any other hero is first added to the game.

Course, it's impossible to say until he finally ships. I'm excited for him because he's one of the few heroes I played in Dota 1. Granted, I hate Tinker now so that excitement likely won't last anyway.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
So, how often do you guys think Techies will be picked? Is he top 5 material, or Meepo material?

Depends what you mean by Meepo material. Meepo is probably one of the strongest heroes and pubstompers in the hands of someone that knows how to actually play him. Inkdota got to 6k mmr just straight spam picking meepo... and that dude isn't an amazing dota player by any means, just your typical raging upper 4k nadota player (until meepo).

traveler

Not Wario
Booted up Dota immediately soon as I saw the thread title. Then I saw the actual picture.

:|

Not that I'm looking forward to him arriving, but how is this news really? Valve hasn't committed to anything here other than implying that a Dota 1 hero will be ported to Dota 2 at some point in the non-near future. In other news, I will die at some point following TI4.

bounchfx

Also, the slow implementation of DL items might have caused people that otherwise would have purchased ESL to be more reserved.

We've actually had dozens of people lash out at us about that, telling others to not support ESL because it would be the same as DL... even though we finished everything early. It's a no-win scenario with some people, because even now we have some people saying that the stretch goals are BS because we finished the items ahead of time. It's kind of funny but it can get frustrating. I do my best to see from other people's perspectives though.

fyi I love the set. ESL is great and so is red moon.

You are awesome, thank you so much for your support. <3

Sibylus

Banned
Hasn't it been said that the average player in Dota 2 is better than Dota 1? I could have sworn some people were mentioning that the access and ease of information for understanding the game is more widespread now than it was before.

I suspect Techies is going to be Meepo all over again. People love the idea of the hero, he releases and most people perform poorly on him since he seems to be really affected by true sight and then falls to the bottom of the most played heroes list. There will probably be a lot of games lost on his first appearance but the same could be said when Earth Spirit or any other hero is first added to the game.

Course, it's impossible to say until he finally ships. I'm excited for him because he's one of the few heroes I played in Dota 1. Granted, I hate Tinker now so that excitement likely won't last anyway.
It's definitely true- between the ingame hero library, ingame builds, recommended builds, tooltips, skill indicators, tutorial, simpler shop UI and so on... the pub baseline seems a lot higher than it would be otherwise.

techies has been so overhyped and everyone has made such a big deal

its gonna come out and were going to have 1 week of people bitching and being told to play cd, cm, or ar

and then itll all be normal again

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
techies has been so overhyped and everyone has made such a big deal

its gonna come out and were going to have 1 week of people bitching and being told to play cd, cm, or ar

and then itll all be normal again

Hey but at least we'll have a new hero and it'll all be worth it after the 7+ months of waiting it will have been.

Artanisix

Bounch's Naix set is pretty cool, it's a shame I don't actually like playing the hero though.

make some treant items you bastard

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

I'm looking forward to Techies. If they buy a gem, hey you forced them into buying a gem. If they use Sentry Wards...they're going to need a lot of Sentry Wards to get everywhere I'm thinking of mining, hehehe

shira

When does WPC start?

Next week I think Thursday-Sunday China time?

This weekend its that TI4-bound Chinese TOrunament that has had zero hype

Mars DotaTV

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/dota2/MarsTV_Dota_2_League

Then we go into overdrive

Summit
t1401992400z1.png

Dreamhack
t1402770000z1.png

ESL-Frankfurt
t1403979600z1.png

TI4
t1404843600z1.png

iamblades

Can you kill the chicken with Composite damage?

Composite damage doesn't mean that it will work on courier, for instance Wild Axes and March of the Machines(and march is universal damage, not composite, so that is another thing entirely) doesn't affect the courier.

Culling blade is the only damage ability (not counting orbs and right click modifiers like geminate attack or Walrus Punch) that works on couriers to the best of my knowledge, because it doesn't actually count as damage, it is just an instakill when under the threshold(which the courier always is).

elyetis

People love the idea of the hero, he releases and most people perform poorly on him since he seems to be really affected by true sight and then falls to the bottom of the most played heroes list. There will probably be a lot of games lost on his first appearance but the same could be said when Earth Spirit or any other hero is first added to the game.
Doesn't affect riki too much.
Succes of a hero can simply come from being a easy hero on low mmr, and not being micro heavy.

Chris R

I'm not going to wake up early to watch Eurodoto, I'll just catch what I can when I'm up :(

Wish the final was Monday though and not Tuesday... I might have woken up early on MURICA day to watch all games of the final

bounchfx

I'm probably the last person in the world to realize this but god damn treant is a good hero.

I just noticed myself this week. Gave him a couple tries since I love playing support usually, and damn, he is darn neat to play. I want to give him a few more to see if I put him in my normal rotation.

Also had a game as Dazzle recently with some INSANE saves. It feels really good to play him because it feels like you make a real difference on a regular basis.

shira

I just noticed myself this week. Gave him a couple tries since I love playing support usually, and damn, he is darn neat to play. I want to give him a few more to see if I put him in my normal rotation.

Also had a game as Dazzle recently with some INSANE saves. It feels really good to play him because it feels like you make a real difference on a regular basis.

fAxQf8s.jpg

Give Aracana

Ketch

I feel a strong resentment towards tree because I feel like if he can be played in competitive then Omni should be able to be competitive.

They should buff degen aura or his base damage or both.

FACE

Banned
Composite damage doesn't mean that it will work on courier, for instance Wild Axes and March of the Machines(and march is universal damage, not composite, so that is another thing entirely) doesn't affect the courier.

Culling blade is the only damage ability (not counting orbs and right click modifiers like geminate attack or Walrus Punch) that works on couriers to the best of my knowledge, because it doesn't actually count as damage, it is just an instakill when under the threshold(which the courier always is).

Aw, I was thinking of doing some sheananigans with Techies. Thanks for the answer.

I think the initial damage from Echo Slam also kills the courier because it is universal damage.

MadGear

Already planning my dota break for the first 2 weeks of techies.
Fuk all that noise

Well you could just play all random or single draft, I did so when ES was insta pick in almost every game. But yeah, avoid ranked at all cost. It'll be even more annoying than people doing their hero challenges in ranked by picking heroes they are not even remotely good at :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom