• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT5| TECHIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my state of despair yesterday, I posted on dota 2 tutor reddit looking for coaching and like a naive idiot, I didn't realize that the only people that respond are peeps looking to get paid (nothing wrong with that...). But yeah, you guys are right in that Purge charges a ridiculous amount for his coaching services. Going rate for a lot of these players is $10/hr...

kvk1

I like directed camera myself

The game i usually spot on and never misses 1st blood!

Same. Directed Camera is legit. Also the casters will sometimes get too erratic with the movements during big team fights. Switching way too fast between players and areas of the map that I have no idea what just happened.

Artanisix

In my state of despair yesterday, I posted on dota 2 tutor reddit looking for coaching and like a naive idiot, I didn't realize that the only people that respond are peeps looking to get paid (nothing wrong with that...). But yeah, you guys are right in that Purge charges a ridiculous amount for his coaching services. Going rate for a lot of these players is $10/hr...

Lawd. I said this to a girl who asked me to coach her last week, and I'll say it again here too. One of the best ways to learn is to go through these TI4 qualifier replays or ESL replays (totally free ingame!), turn the commentary on, and then pick a role you want to learn. Swap your camera to the player perspective of a role you're trying to learn and watch very carefully what they do while listening to the global commentary. If you're watching a support for example, chances are you'll see when they smoke with your own eyes and hear why they smoked through the commentary, things like that.

This is especially useful for learning supports as they're probably the least intuitive role to play when you get to the top.

Ultrabum

I think one reason he charges so much is that less people want to do it. He said as much.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member

What type of coaching are you looking for? Are you new to the game? I could coach you with the basics, no mike tough.

Lawd. I said this to a girl who asked me to coach her last week, and I'll say it again here too. One of the best ways to learn is to go through these TI4 qualifier replays or ESL replays (totally free ingame!), turn the commentary on, and then pick a role you want to learn. Swap your camera to the player perspective of a role you're trying to learn and watch very carefully what they do while listening to the global commentary. If you're watching a support for example, chances are you'll see when they smoke with your own eyes and hear why they smoked through the commentary, things like that.

This is especially useful for learning supports as they're probably the least intuitive role to play when you get to the top.

Maybe you're right but personally I feel my issues are mechanics driven. I'm sure I make bad decisions but the biggest improvement could come from upping my overall hero damage output/generating relatively more gold with each role. I dunno...I've hit a wall for the last couple of months and even feel like I've regressed.

I think one reason he charges so much is that less people want to do it. He said as much.

He could just say no, but if he gets business at $50, that's fine (I don't think he's scamming people or anything)...just that after watching some of these tutorials, the "students" could get equivalent help (not so much Purge's teaching but their skill level is cringeworthy at times) going with someone cheaper (especially if one session with Purge is equivalent to 5 with other people).

What type of coaching are you looking for? Are you new to the game? I could coach you with the basics, no mike tough.

I'm not new to the game (so I can't use that as an excuse when I throw) as I have 1300 matches on my belt. If I had to summarize what I want is to become a more aggressive player without being ridiculously wreckless..

SamVimes

Maybe you're right but personally I feel my issues are mechanics driven. I'm sure I make bad decisions but the biggest improvement could come from upping my overall hero damage output/generating relatively more gold with each role. I dunno...I've hit a wall for the last couple of months and even feel like I've regressed.

Honestly find a partner with similar skill and just play against him 1v1 mid, your mechanics will improve a lot.

Internets

Rod of Atos underrated? I had no idea what to get and I decided to try out one of these, made dealing with that fleeing Clinkz so surprisingly easy before he can farm up that BKB

Rod of Atos underrated? I had no idea what to get and I decided to try out one of these, made dealing with that fleeing Clinkz so surprisingly easy before he can farm up that BKB
Rod of atos and heavens halbard are super underrated. Don't tell anyone though I want them to get buffed more.

Zeth

Can Atos even get any better? It's absurd how much it's been buffed the last few patches. Might has well have no CD and global range LOL.

sfedai0

Banned
I'm not new to the game (so I can't use that as an excuse when I throw) as I have 1300 matches on my belt. If I had to summarize what I want is to become a more aggressive player without being ridiculously wreckless..

What positions do you play mostly? Do you support? What exactly are your weaknesses?

Quesa

Say you're learning a support. Wouldn't a lot of those decisions only work with a coordinated team? What if I'm a pub support, god forbid? I know a lot of what pros do applies to pubs, but a lot of what I find hard to learn is when to apply the things I'm seeing for myself, since a lot of dota is context. Maybe that roaming gank only works against/with a particular lane setup, things like that. And smoke timing is useless if the rest of the team decides they just want to farm up vs Tiny/Spectre

BeesEight

Honestly find a partner with similar skill and just play against him 1v1 mid, your mechanics will improve a lot.

I also want to add that you shouldn't be afraid to take breaks. Sometimes, if you're too focused on improving and are getting hung up over stagnation or a decrease in skill, it can be beneficial to walk away from the game for a bit. Trying to force it can sometimes just lead to frustration and missing the point of enjoying the game.

Say you're learning a support. Wouldn't a lot of those decisions only work with a coordinated team? What if I'm a pub support, god forbid? I know a lot of what pros do applies to pubs, but a lot of what I find hard to learn is when to apply the things I'm seeing for myself, since a lot of dota is context. Maybe that roaming gank only works against/with a particular lane setup, things like that. And smoke timing is useless if the rest of the team decides they just want to farm up vs Tiny/Spectre

Personally, one thing I find that can help as a support in pubs is to play a bit more greedily. Since you're not with a team that you can rely on, it is important to make money (regardless of what mids or carries will say). "Securing kills" and whatnot is acceptable as long as you're using that gold to your advantage. Getting usable vision, purchasing mid-game items that will give you an advantage and generally trying to assure your team's snowballing is what you should shoot for. This is especially important on initiators and their blink daggers like Tide or Nyx.

Razzer

Well that's where experience comes in. As you watch these replays, you will have more moments where you go 'oh so that's why that works.' So as these accumulate your analysis of situations will improve.

What positions do you play mostly? Do you support? What exactly are your weaknesses?

Pretty much anything but initiator. When I'm playing in a group, I usually end up playing support (but whatever the team generally needs). That said, my favorite heroes are midgame related(invoker/storm etc..)

Weaknesses- My game is swiss cheese at this point and I just get the impression that there's this big part of the game that I'm not understanding which might lead to improvement (wishful thinking I suppose). I'm not sure what to pinpoint as my specific weakness but there are a few trends in my game that I dislike.

1-GPM in general- I used to think my last hitting was the primary culprit but for the most part in comparison to whom I'm matched with, I last hit ok the first 10 min at my mmr. For whatever reason, my econ just isn't consistent from start to finish.

2-Hero damage- If I'm not playing support, I notice my hero damage is usually around 13k-15k at the highest (never really the top damage dealer on my team). I never have these ridiculous games where I'm doing most of the damage. I'm not pulling my weight in this department

3-Lack of Aggression- When I try to be aggressive, I feed.. Thus, I generally play passively (there's an active voice in my mind to go aggressive that I end up ignoring a lot of the times)

Red UFO

Those 3 points are probably related to each other. If you're not farming well enough, you won't be dishing out the necessary damage, which will lead to you getting eaten up by their beefier carries. The best advice I can give, and it worked for myself, is constantly challenge yourself on what you're currently doing. You should ALWAYS be doing something, whether it's stacking, warding, farming lane, jungling, getting into position for a fight. Time spent standing around going "hm, where to now" or travelling around the map looking for near impossible pick offs, is time wasted.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member

I'm not gonna lie and say i know dota 2 inside out but for me being agressive has to do with knowing what you and the enemy are capable at all times. For example don't try gank luna alone when has her 6.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I'm not gonna lie and say i know dota 2 inside out but for me being agressive has to do with knowing what you and the enemy are capable at all times. For example don't try gank luna alone when has her 6.

Unless you are one of the characters who can take 4 lucent beams and maybe some tower hits to the face and scoff it off.

sixghost

Pretty much anything but initiator. When I'm playing in a group, I usually end up playing support (but whatever the team generally needs). That said, my favorite heroes are midgame related(invoker/storm etc..)

Weaknesses- My game is swiss cheese at this point and I just get the impression that there's this big part of the game that I'm not understanding which might lead to improvement (wishful thinking I suppose). I'm not sure what to pinpoint as my specific weakness but there are a few trends in my game that I dislike.

1-GPM in general- I used to think my last hitting was the primary culprit but for the most part in comparison to whom I'm matched with, I last hit ok the first 10 min at my mmr. For whatever reason, my econ just isn't consistent from start to finish.

2-Hero damage- If I'm not playing support, I notice my hero damage is usually around 13k-15k at the highest (never really the top damage dealer on my team). I never have these ridiculous games where I'm doing most of the damage. I'm not pulling my weight in this department

3-Lack of Aggression- When I try to be aggressive, I feed.. Thus, I generally play passively (there's an active voice in my mind to go aggressive that I end up ignoring a lot of the times)
When you play a ganker like storm, don't forget to farm the jungle or a lane in between ganks. The easiest way to fall off as a snowball mid is to look for kills nonstop.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
The unofficial custom games stuff is available now apparently.

Which can only mean that Valve in their endlessly hilarious sense of timing will very soon release official custom games, and render all their work obsolete.

sfedai0

Banned
1-Sounds like you just need to work on situational awareness. Knowing when to sit in lane and farm and when to join fights. If youre Storm or Voker, unless you see a good ganking rune or enemy team is diving, just sit and farm. More than likely, the fight will be brought to you at mid anyways (depending on MMR).

2-I dont think you should worry about damage because if you farmed well, the items will come. Its more important that you look at positioning in a battle, and knowing the limits of your hero.

3-I think this comes down to proper decision making which I think is the most important tool to getting better. I know its easier said than done. I feel if you can fully understand supporting, you will be a better player overall, because your map awareness, understanding of roam/ganks will increase.

When you play a ganker like storm, don't forget to farm the jungle or a lane in between ganks. The easiest way to fall off as a snowball mid is to look for kills nonstop.

This I know in theory...In practice, however...it feels like I'm always farming when I should be fighting and fighting when I should be farming...

Chris R

The unofficial custom games stuff is available now apparently.

Which can only mean that Valve in their endlessly hilarious sense of timing will very soon release official custom games, and render all their work obsolete.

$7,000,000 hidden goal lol

shira

C29D854F340AA67966FDD821346C9DF3D6E9F545

epeen measuring time, mother of god, who are these people?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

x1000 when i was a dunnings-kruger to the max awful 1500 hon player (equivalent to probably 2000 dota mmr), one day i just decided i wanted to stop being shit and so I picked out my favorite players, watched all their competitive games from their perspective, and even watched all their pub games from their perspective.

For example, soulstealer (shadow fiend) was probably my worst hero in HoN (but I wanted to be decent a him) so I watched two great SS players and just went through their pubs--took note of when they used raze, how they played different matchups, how they farmed so efficiently, what item choices they made, when they went to gank, when they went for runes, etc... You start to notice a pattern that you can emulate, little tricks (i.e. oh shit they raze to push the lane just before the rune spawns, I should do that!).

While it's true that pub play and competitive play can often be very different beasts, the core mechanics are the same. Notice how they harass, what items they decide to buy, when they initiate the ganks, where they ward, how they position themselves in different circumstances. A lot of these cross-over. I mean sure though, pubs are going to have a lot more variables you have to account for, and that's just pubs.

Let's say you just spent 2 hours learning invoker from replays and memorizing spells, and some dude instalocks juggernaut after you pick invoker and demands mid--shit sucks you probably didn't decide to "learn" safe-lane/dual-mid/off-lane invoker, but that doesn't matter when you've been learning how to last hit, harass, memorized spells, etc... It's the base mechanics you need to master first, then the rest comes later (game sense with experience and just more activity in general with camera control and the like, checking other lanes). And not going to lie, a good way to master base mechanics is to master one of the harder mid heroes, just one--I know that helped me significantly across all other heroes as well, even support which benefits from good positioning/mid-awareness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom