• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT5| TECHIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteo

In my state of despair yesterday, I posted on dota 2 tutor reddit looking for coaching and like a naive idiot, I didn't realize that the only people that respond are peeps looking to get paid (nothing wrong with that...). But yeah, you guys are right in that Purge charges a ridiculous amount for his coaching services. Going rate for a lot of these players is $10/hr...

In case you havent watch this before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ihVc2swLPQ

I am a newbie in DOTA, just started playing it some days ago. I really like the game, and I enjoy how the game forces you to learn it's mechanics (creeps, abilities, heroes, items, etc). It really is something refreshing, and not a game that you get and instantly knows how to play (at least when it is your first MOBA experience).

The problem is, since the matches are usually long (30 minuts or more), and the games is team oriented... when you get someone that intentionally tries to ruin the experience, it rapidly becomes one of the most frustrating experiences i've ever had in multiplayer gaming.

I dont mind losing because I am bad, since I know it is part of the "getting better" process, but losing because someone in your team is a troll, and after you realize you lost 30 or more minutes of leisure time to have fun, and instead got mad / stressed / frustrated, you begin to evaluate the point in doing this, or an alternative to this situation.

That's why I am here. I would like to know if there is a group of DOTA newcomers here in Gaf, that want to play, to learn, to get better, to practice together, without having to deal with this kind of shit in multiplayer gaming (people droping the game, trolling, etc). I know there are groups of experienced players, but I am afraid to join one, since I will get slaughtered considering the difference of experience in the game.

PS: Unfortunally my group of real friends dont like DOTA, so I have to make virtual friends in this one :D

Do you guys think there'll be a large spike in the prizepool towards the end of TI4 when people realize they need to buy compendium points in order to actually reach the rewards tier they want?

Zeknurn

Do you guys think there'll be a large spike in the prizepool towards the end of TI4 when people realize they need to buy compendium points in order to actually reach the rewards tier they want?

Most definitely.

Speaking of which, we're getting close to the next stretch goal. Woo.

Gav47

I don't think so, it'll probably spike as the rewards get added. I expect a spike when the immortals go in, when the bird courier get different styles and when the mini pudge goes in. Maybe one when the international starts.

pompidu

so is "fnatic.n0tail" the exact handle for him? Just played two straight random pub matches where he happen to be in and idk if thats really him. He was meepoing like crazy

Hupsel

andregnreis up there ^ is my huehuehue friend and Im trying to get him into Dota. He has about 10 games in his carreer so theres a lot to learn. He is mainly playing Templar Assassin and I think its one problem, since TA is super hard - you have to learn to play mid well, gank, use bottles, blink dagger, be aware of enemy Dots and so on. Even so, he gets some wins from time to time. The dude plays Dark Souls with me so he likes a challenge. If someone wants to start playing or have few games, add him. Same gaf/Steam name.

Kard8p3

andregnreis up there ^ is my huehuehue friend and Im trying to get him into Dota. He has about 10 games in his carreer so theres a lot to learn. He is mainly playing Templar Assassin and I think its one problem, since TA is super hard - you have to learn to play mid well, gank, use bottles, blink dagger, be aware of enemy Dots and so on. Even so, he gets some wins from time to time. The dude plays Dark Souls with me so he likes a challenge. If someone wants to start playing or have few games, add him. Same gaf/Steam name.

fuck blink dagger. get drums.

Zeknurn

Yes please lets last pick a god damn Spectre after we already have a PA and ES. Game over before it even started. 25 minutes in and the ES hasn't hit level 6.

Internets

Are there any other ways of obtaining Compendium points besides, filling the Compendium book, buying points, and random 25 point drop?

Scrappy

Neo Member
Damn that was some really good info, thanks for sharing. I never thought about positioning the way he explains it in the video.

I'm exactly the same. I generally, as a support, blow my load then attack with auto. So many times when I back out of fights cause of my spells on cooldown I get shouted at, so from the start I just learnt to all in. Now it's been mentioned in that video, it makes so much sense to be outside of range and wait for the spells to come off cooldown and let the carries take it, then jump back in, do max damage and jump out again.

I need to start playing DOTA again.

Anteo

I'm exactly the same. I generally, as a support, blow my load then attack with auto. So many times when I back out of fights cause of my spells on cooldown I get shouted at, so from the start I just learnt to all in. Now it's been mentioned in that video, it makes so much sense to be outside of range and wait for the spells to come off cooldown and let the carries take it, then jump back in, do max damage and jump out again.

I need to start playing DOTA again.

Well, you need to alternate both styles really, sometimes you want to be inside the fray to take some blows in place of your allies and deal that extra last hit damage. In any case, you always want to maximize your survavility, whenever you get low (which could be at 50% for most supports) you get out of the fight, but not too far away so you can rejoin, cast a spell and get out.

Holy shit nether strike range is crazy now, plus it doesn't lose track when someone rounds a corner or goes high ground. It's like having a riki/PA teleport that stuns.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
http://dotabuff.com/matches/680624068

Lol i played weaver and never upgraded my boots i just rushed linkens instead worked pretty well tough to be fair they didn't have that much control to keep me down but that's not why we won. They had a veno that was threatening our tier 2 but while the enemy was busy getting kills i was busy taking down their mid racks, stupid fuckers didn't respond until it was too late. Deso really fucking helps while split pushing.

inkls

Anyone wanna comment on necro being #1 winrate in pubs currently? I really do love the hero (as long as hes not played support) and what should I build on a carry/mid necro?

edit: also omni is #4. TI4 omni believe.

Acinixys

Yes please lets last pick a god damn Spectre after we already have a PA and ES. Game over before it even started. 25 minutes in and the ES hasn't hit level 6.

Thats next lvl bad

You can stand in lane for 3 mins and hit lvl 6 damn

Anyone wanna comment on necro being #1 winrate in pubs currently? I really do love the hero (as long as hes not played support) and what should I build on a carry/mid necro?

Solo mid necro

tangos and 2 branch
bottle
treads
mek
heart
sheep
radi

cerulily

edit: also omni is #4. TI4 omni believe.

Necro's ult is now an extremely strong anti-comeback mechanic.

He is versatile in almost every position with aoe heals and aoe damage over time.
The nature of his help/hurt aoe mechanics mean that any item he buys that helps him stay around longer help everyone else.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Here's a question have you guys ever raged while playing dota 2? I certainly do, i have never gone off the deep end like some people but the urge to flame people when they playing bad is very tempting so sometimes i can't help myself.

M.D

that moment when you buy back because the enemy team is about to get rax if you don't
that moment you realize you had 2 seconds to respawn

I am a newbie in DOTA, just started playing it some days ago. I really like the game, and I enjoy how the game forces you to learn it's mechanics (creeps, abilities, heroes, items, etc). It really is something refreshing, and not a game that you get and instantly knows how to play (at least when it is your first MOBA experience).

The problem is, since the matches are usually long (30 minuts or more), and the games is team oriented... when you get someone that intentionally tries to ruin the experience, it rapidly becomes one of the most frustrating experiences i've ever had in multiplayer gaming.

I dont mind losing because I am bad, since I know it is part of the "getting better" process, but losing because someone in your team is a troll, and after you realize you lost 30 or more minutes of leisure time to have fun, and instead got mad / stressed / frustrated, you begin to evaluate the point in doing this, or an alternative to this situation.

That's why I am here. I would like to know if there is a group of DOTA newcomers here in Gaf, that want to play, to learn, to get better, to practice together, without having to deal with this kind of shit in multiplayer gaming (people droping the game, trolling, etc). I know there are groups of experienced players, but I am afraid to join one, since I will get slaughtered considering the difference of experience in the game.

PS: Unfortunally my group of real friends dont like DOTA, so I have to make virtual friends in this one :D

Hey there, I'm new to this game/genre as well, and I'm in the same boat as you (none of my friends play games at all). Feel free to add me if you want a sparring partner, my Steam account name is 'Print Screen' (the account with an actual print screen button as an avatar).

As for your question about playing with the right people... my solution is just to never solo queue. Rather, hang around in the giant bomb and neogaf chat channels, as there are always people looking for teammates there. My experience has that they've been very friendly, communicative, and patient with my scrubiness.

Sure go for it

OK, Storage, you are my hero. This game was so amazing it nearly broke me. Not my best commentating (deep in the night) and i had severe audio issues, so i have to edit the video first. But this whole game is a thing of beauty. I thought it had only a rapier-rushing Doom, but there is soooo much more.

Did you play Bane? If yes, my hat's off to you.

I'll post a link after editing and uploading is done.

Hey there, I'm new to this game/genre as well, and I'm in the same boat as you (none of my friends play games at all). Feel free to add me if you want a sparring partner, my Steam account name is 'Print Screen' (the account with an actual print screen button as an avatar).

As for your question about playing with the right people... my solution is just to never solo queue. Rather, hang around in the giant bomb and neogaf chat channels, as there are always people looking for teammates there. My experience has that they've been very friendly, communicative, and patient with my scrubiness.

Nice! I sent you a PM!

Now, 8 more friends to go :D

inkls

Necro's ult is now an extremely strong anti-comeback mechanic.

He is versatile in almost every position with aoe heals and aoe damage over time.
The nature of his help/hurt aoe mechanics mean that any item he buys that helps him stay around longer help everyone else.

Oh I know that, I'm more wondering what are the good first major items on him.

Quesa

x1000 when i was a dunnings-kruger to the max awful 1500 hon player (equivalent to probably 2000 dota mmr), one day i just decided i wanted to stop being shit and so I picked out my favorite players, watched all their competitive games from their perspective, and even watched all their pub games from their perspective.

For example, soulstealer (shadow fiend) was probably my worst hero in HoN (but I wanted to be decent a him) so I watched two great SS players and just went through their pubs--took note of when they used raze, how they played different matchups, how they farmed so efficiently, what item choices they made, when they went to gank, when they went for runes, etc... You start to notice a pattern that you can emulate, little tricks (i.e. oh shit they raze to push the lane just before the rune spawns, I should do that!).

While it's true that pub play and competitive play can often be very different beasts, the core mechanics are the same. Notice how they harass, what items they decide to buy, when they initiate the ganks, where they ward, how they position themselves in different circumstances. A lot of these cross-over. I mean sure though, pubs are going to have a lot more variables you have to account for, and that's just pubs.

Let's say you just spent 2 hours learning invoker from replays and memorizing spells, and some dude instalocks juggernaut after you pick invoker and demands mid--shit sucks you probably didn't decide to "learn" safe-lane/dual-mid/off-lane invoker, but that doesn't matter when you've been learning how to last hit, harass, memorized spells, etc... It's the base mechanics you need to master first, then the rest comes later (game sense with experience and just more activity in general with camera control and the like, checking other lanes). And not going to lie, a good way to master base mechanics is to master one of the harder mid heroes, just one--I know that helped me significantly across all other heroes as well, even support which benefits from good positioning/mid-awareness.

So is sf a good hero to learn in this regard?

Zeknurn

Thats next lvl bad

You can stand in lane for 3 mins and hit lvl 6 damn

He and PA went safelane against an offlane Lich (thanks to the dumb picks I had to offlane with Spectre against an OD) and he fed the Lich hard before he decided to start roaming for the rest of the game.

I wouldn't call it next level though, just the ordinary.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
A coaching session with 1.09 would be 40 minutes of "legit" and "real talk" and "ok, real talk, like, legit, why would you even do that?".

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
epeen measuring time, mother of god, who are these people?

Level 10k+
10277049_561761767266031_6170623022794238710_n.jpg

Acinixys

necrophos or w/e his name is is awful. I'd rather have a real mid or a real safelane

Hes good vs retarded pubs

I cant see him being ever viable in competitive. He needs to much farm to come online

Also lol at this RTZ game

Last pick Furion and no courier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom