• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT5| TECHIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any way to edit the order in which abilities are mapped to the hotkeys?

Like, Seth has 4 abilities, 1 of them is passive. Ideally, that passive ability would be on the end of the line of hotkeys, as it is unnecessary for it to be mapped at all, but as it is Ability 2 it makes W (in my case, using QWERTY) redundant and is a tiny annoyance, as I'd rather not have one of the main hotkeys dedicated to nothing

Also, what are abilities 4 and 5? I've only seen Heroes with 3 abilitie and an Ultimate so far.

Played that Training match, I was very poor but felt much more comfortable than I did before. Got 2 kills, 10 deaths and a pretty good gold-per-minute rate. It's kinda crazy how you can go like 30 minutes feeling really weak, and then you hit a tipping point where you start doing a lot of damage and taking entire groups of creeps down in about 10 seconds

Would you guys recommend carrying on with Training matches vs Humans, or moving onto wider matches vs Bots?

Cheers :)

J2d

If you need some friendly sparring partners to team up with, I've been adding a few fellow newbies here on gaf. Everybody's learning, nobody gets shouted at. Feel free to add me on steam, my account name is 'Print Screen' (the one with the actual print screen button as an avatar).
Thanks for the offer, it's much appreciated, but I'll stick to limited pick.

SamVimes

I can tell you that all those teams won more tournaments this year than C9 :p
I can tell you a pig can fly, but that doesn't change that two of those three teams won a really small tournament each and the other nothing when the invites came out.

Why is EE drafting? This was the guy who wouldn't allow unpracticed strats on Notidehunter.

Either they've been practicing these crazy lineups or they really don't stack up to best in the East.
They wrecked empire the other day in a bo5 with these crazy lineups. They just played horribly: bone7 was terrible in every game, singsing fucked up majorly in game 3 multiple times and the whole team in general was performing pretty bad.

iamblades

There needs to be a individual pick mode with bans IMO.

Like captain's draft with the 2 captains bans up front, but then everyone individually picks their hero so you don't get stuck on something you don't want to play by the captain.

That solves the main issues with both modes in casual play. Drafts take less time, and you don't get completely screwed when you get an incompetent captain, but you don't end up playing vs the same annoying 2-3 heroes every single game.

Is there any way to edit the order in which abilities are mapped to the hotkeys?

Like, Seth has 4 abilities, 1 of them is passive. Ideally, that passive ability would be on the end of the line of hotkeys, as it is unnecessary for it to be mapped at all, but as it is Ability 2 it makes W (in my case, using QWERTY) redundant and is a tiny annoyance, as I'd rather not have one of the main hotkeys dedicated to nothing

Also, what are abilities 4 and 5? I've only seen Heroes with 3 abilitie and an Ultimate so far.

Played that Training match, I was very poor but felt much more comfortable than I did before. Got 2 kills, 10 deaths and a pretty good gold-per-minute rate. It's kinda crazy how you can go like 30 minutes feeling really weak, and then you hit a tipping point where you start doing a lot of damage and taking entire groups of creeps down in about 10 seconds

Would you guys recommend carrying on with Training matches vs Humans, or moving onto wider matches vs Bots?

abilities 5 and 6 are mapped to d and f. shadow fiend, invoker, doom (after devouring a jungle creep), kotl (with ult), puck, rubick, morph, ogre (with aghs) use more than 4 keys. there might be others i'm forgetting. list of heroes: http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Heroes

playing with bots won't teach you much. once you know the shortcuts, where the shops are, understand what the shops sell etc, you won't learn anything else by playing against them probably

There needs to be a individual pick mode with bans IMO.

Like captain's draft with the 2 captains bans up front, but then everyone individually picks their hero so you don't get stuck on something you don't want to play by the captain.

That solves the main issues with both modes in casual play. Drafts take less time, and you don't get completely screwed when you get an incompetent captain, but you don't end up playing vs the same annoying 2-3 heroes every single game.

yeah this. people have been asking for it forever. pretty sure the only reason they don't do it is because certain heroes (pudge, invoker, mirana) are gonna be banned every game and thus they won't have as much data to balance them. which is dumb. if 90% of the playerbase hates playing against a couple of shitter heroes -- or even having them in the same team -- there's something WRONG with the videogame

abilities 5 and 6 are mapped to d and f. shadow fiend, invoker, doom (after devouring a jungle creep), kotl (with ult), puck, rubick, morph, ogre (with aghs) use more than 4 keys. there might be others i'm forgetting. list of heroes: http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Heroes

playing with bots won't teach you much. once you know the shortcuts, where the shops are, understand what the shops sell etc, you won't learn anything else by playing against them probably

I put 4 and 5 on T and Y so it goes
123U45
QWERTY

Not yet at the stage where I can just tap the necessary key as a reflex as I would with a controller after a decade of console-gaming, but I'm getting there

shira

I can tell you a pig can fly, but that doesn't change that two of those three teams won a really small tournament each and the other nothing when the invites came out.

They wrecked empire the other day in a bo5 with these crazy lineups. They just played horribly: bone7 was terrible in every game, singsing fucked up majorly in game 3 multiple times and the whole team in general was performing pretty bad.
Euhub curse.

FACE

Banned

Winning a small tournament still is better than winning no tournaments :D

I think C9 deserves their invite, I'm just pulling your leg.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum

I don't know who Seth is since this isn't SF4, but to answer your question you can not have different key profiles for each hero, you would have to change everything manually before starting a match. There's nothing stopping you from doing that, but I suggest you don't and just get used to it.

Humans.

I don't know who Seth is since this isn't SF4, but to answer your question you can not have different key profiles for each hero, you would have to change everything manually before starting a match. There's nothing stopping you from doing that, but I suggest you don't and just get used to it.

Humans.

Meant Sven, dunno why I keep calling him Seth :p

Cheers. Adapt or die it is then. OmniKnight was carrying his team in the one match I played, number of times we were about to kill him before he used his 'Block all Physical Damage' ability was ridiculous.

Did you guys learn the Heroes' abilities by playing with/against them, or read up on them all first? There's so many, I guess the only way to get them ingrained in the memory is to see them in action

BeesEight

Single draft if you could swap heroes would be the best mode

Why not just play random draft at that point?

I personally like that single draft locks you into a choice of three heroes to play. It's like all random but with just enough control that you don't feel completely cheated by the dice roll.

Do a bit of both...

Try out new heroes in bot matches (co-op and or create your own private room and don't be ashamed to turn cheats on against bots as you're there to familiarize yourself with button mechanics)- This gives you the freedom to mess around with mechanics. When I was starting up, I'd regularly come across people that would refuse to buy blink dagger because they were uncomfortable using it. If you're a beginner, just being at ease with basic mechanics allows you to think about higher level stuff like positioning.

Play regular matches- Pick characters you've practiced with to familiarize yourself with how they work against humans

If you like to carry - go to learn DOTA and practice last hitting using the last hit trainer- 50+ CS should be your goal.

Meant Sven, dunno why I keep calling him Seth :p

Cheers. Adapt or die it is then. OmniKnight was carrying his team in the one match I played, number of times we were about to kill him before he used his 'Block all Physical Damage' ability was ridiculous.

Did you guys learn the Heroes' abilities by playing with/against them, or read up on them all first? There's so many, I guess the only way to get them ingrained in the memory is to see them in action

Plenty of resources on the web- first person vods are a good place to start

Purge
Merlini for more advanced play

Fierce's guides
1v1 fundamentals
Zone Control and Positioning

AR is fun because you get a fair opportunity to make an assclowny team work. I know I've been somehow able to make teams of 5 1-level carries somehow work. I've also seen it end in tears as it should.

All Random can give you bad games, but second to Captains it's the most fair mode. The player pool is also generally way more enjoyable, with a higher level of skill and more English speakers and communication in my experience.

I like both of these posts.

AR is super fun.

Although I am starting to think I play it too much for my continued growth as a dota player. I believe it's awesome for a lot of reasons. Dota is a huge game. Astounding in it's number of silly combinations. AR does it's best to help you discover a lot of those. You have to start thinking out of the box and playing with very unorthodox builds and items, and especially team comps and lanes, it's part of the mode. The people who usually play it understand that and will generally be pretty intelligent and know this, going for not usual "ideal" builds and instead going for what actually works (IN THEORY) for this game. Whether that results in a win or not is up to a lot of debate of course, but the whole time it feels a lot more cerebral to me and less about reflexes and experience and more about knowledge and critical thinking. It helps you understand a lot of why certain things are done in my opinion.

Granted of course it leaves some things to be desired. I play AR probably 70% of the time and I've realized that I am terrible at some of the "deeper" common lane match ups particularly in mid, being out played by someone with much less overall experience and time with the game. My knowledge (in my opinion) is very wide, but not particularly deep overall when it comes to some of the most common mid match ups for example (qop, puck, sf, ss etc) completely through inexperience. Now I don't think this would be very hard to fix, some quick reading and some more specialized and specific practice should patch it up, but it's something I have to keep in mind. I don't mind it, in fact it's how I would like it to be. I'd rather argue about how something is totally viable no matter how unorthodox it is, simply because I like the theorycrafting and the what if nature. When I play some AP similar heroes pop up very quickly and it's somewhat tiring for me (I don't mind it watching pro games for some reason but who knows why). But for someone who wants to know the ins and outs of very common match ups for that "deep" knowledge then I'm sure it's great fun! I'll stick to championing ogre magi and omniknight :p

tl;dr ar is awesome, but at the end of the day play whatever you want its all good in different ways

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I don't even understand how death match mode will even work. Do your skills just stay allocated to their respective skill slots when your hero changes?

Sanjay

Could use Xpadder (free) or Pinnacle gameprofiler which is one sale

So you can create a profile for each hero, and load it in, not having to change anything in-game.

But its better to just get used to it.

Hylian7

im never going to beat my 10 hero challenge. god damn tinker and naga
Tinker's not too bad. You need to make sure to farm efficiently early on and then after that have your items on keys you are used to.

If pressing buttons and targeting things quickly is too hard for you, you can try going items that involve less of that, such as Aghanim's. Aghanim's comes down to mostly W > Soul Ring > Rearm > repeat

I coach you on Tinker later if you want, since you can get the compendium challenge done in unranked.

Acinixys

Guys

Somethings in the water

Something that matches me with the worst players in the world

They must have Peruvian mothers and Russian fathers to be this terrible at Dota

PS: I realize i fed in some of these games. Im not saying i dont suck. Im saying my team mates suck more

Hsiyxwq.png

Guys

Somethings in the water

Something that matches me with the worst players in the world

They must have Peruvian mothers and Russian fathers to be this terrible at Dota

PS: I realize i fed in some of these games. Im not saying i dont suck. Im saying my team mates suck more

I blame the kids and summer, i miss the russians at least their racism was humorous.

manfestival

i played my first two games in over a month last night. Both on a russian server thanks to my friend being a goofball but we completely wrecked and I think the russians loved me. Do I have to go back to USE? :(

sixghost

If you could specify role it would be.

If you could guarantee each team had at least 1 support, AR would be the best. It's just too frustrating when you get dealt a team like DK, Slardar, Riki, Razor, Drow. Then you repick two heroes and get two more carries. Some games you have literally no chance to win.

Ultrabum

This might be true if you are just starting out

I have been playing dota for a long time. I played dota 1 when it first came out.

Ar the mode for vets who like to play all the heros and roles without the critisims that come with picking "shit" heros in AP or CM.

Ultrabum

If you could guarantee each team had at least 1 support, AR would be the best. It's just too frustrating when you get dealt a team like DK, Slardar, Riki, Razor, Drow. Then you repick two heroes and get two more carries. Some games you have literally no chance to win.

Me and Steve occationally win with and lose to these types of line ups.

Wins are very satisfying.

Losses are easy to take, after all the odds are against you. Losses to them are bad though.

Ar best mode.

xanavi

Everyone knows ChickenMCs team deserved a direct invite over c9 duh

Me and Team Mike Chan Dota beat Team FreakinChair + gaf's own admiralbulldong on LAN. That's got to count for something, right?

At least if SOTP got in I could guarantee you not a single dull moment while they're on stage.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
That was a stomp by Rox.kis. Liquid got destoryed by the Razor pick, and that first blood gank by treant was a bit surprising too. I did not expect Demon to actually die, I thought it was just going to be harass.

manfestival

so why did this last patch suddenly change the meta so much that ember isnt a hot ticket anymore? Also, is it too late to get a compendium. My dota 2 love is starting to kick back in and my desire to collect useless pieces of digital swag is starting to consume me.

Aesthet1c

so why did this last patch suddenly change the meta so much that ember isnt a hot ticket anymore? Also, is it too late to get a compendium. My dota 2 love is starting to kick back in and my desire to collect useless pieces of digital swag is starting to consume me.

It's never too late to get a compendium. You will get everything regardless of when you buy it. Unless of course you wait until after TI4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom