• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT5| TECHIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dafinezt

Banned
QWER skills
Alt+QWEASD items
C center hero
VB control groups
f2 courier

The Alt+Q etc key bindings aren't as big a hassle as you'd think. When I first started I pinged the map a lot but I learned to quickly release alt before using target point/unit items. The only difficulty is shift queuing but I can do without it.

Thinking about changing center hero to 0 and my control groups to 1,2,3 etc. though.

edit: Im an idiot. 1 center hero, control groups 2,3,4

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
1234ER for skills
F1-F5 + F/F6 for items
Wasd for camera keys
Q for attack move
~ and the keypad - for stop
Zxcv for control groups
Space is select hero.

Mohasus

How do you guys bind your items? I'm thinking of changing it to alt+Q etc., but I heard Akke say in an interview that having to press 2 buttons to use any item isn't optimal, he said he only does it because he's used to it.

I'm using Space, Z, X, C, V, B, but it's not great.

I used alt+qweasd on HoN but coming to dota I had to change it. So many unwanted pings and it really isn't optimal, especially if you have to shift queue things. Also, it will override some of the autocast toggle hotkeys.

123 - control group and courier if I'm not playing chen, meepo or ench. But usually it is just my center hero button, I played WC3 for years and each number was a hero + army.
ZXC - most items, like orchid, mjollnir or bkb.
Alt+q, Alt+e - items that don't require fast reflexes like wards.
Mouse 4 - Phase boots or blink dagger.
V - quickbuy
B - quickbuy tp
M - move (I use force right click attack)

Messiah

1,2,3,4,5,6 for items
q,w,e,r,d,f for abilities

f1 for hero
f2 for cour

z,x,c,v are control groups
n is quickbuy for tp
b is quickbuy for items in quickboy slot

ksan

Legacy for skills
normal item binds
§ (tilde on us keyboards), alt+§, space, y
quick cast item binds
mouse4, mouse5

1,2,3,4 control groups, 5 courier

q w e r t g for skills
d f space and two mouse buttons for items (one of the item spots doesn't have a hotkey)
1 2 3 4 for hero/control groups (although I never really get to 4, yes even with meepo)
tab for next control group

keys i should be using for stuff in the future f1 f2 z x c ` just not sure yet, probably changing the way i use the courier and level up because that's still very inefficient for me and i need to speed it up

Thanks to fellow GAFfer inkls for sending me a game to cast! It didn't really fit into my "Ragequits and Rampages" series, because there was too much skill (and not enough double boots, bottle first fun), but is still entertaining in it's own way. I'm still learning this casting thing, but I am enjoying this very much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Aew75ZI0J0&list=PL1CQyqIDNn5pct0KTCTTUfdNAJ95y6yId&feature=share

Here it is, enjoy.

If any of you wants me to cast a game just send me a PM or say so.

EDIT:
1-5 for items, space for the last item slot (i put my blink dagger there). I have my control groups on F2-F4.

Jex

While we're getting into the nitty gritty, does anyone have map locations bound to a key and if so, where? I have both rune spots.

looks like the whole d2moddin queue got reset and its back to no one being invited

cant wait for a month from now when valve releases custom games!

Wok

Im sorry but what?

Alchemist is such a sub par carry. I'd rather play him as a support/initiator then a carry any day

Any other "carry" hero totally destroys Alch. Plus he needs so many levels and items to do anything

I agree with the void, got 300-400 MMR from using him the last month or so, dont agree with the alch tho.

Well, I don't know how to play Alchemist, but what I know is that when there is a farmed Alchemist in the opposite team, he uses the maelström mjöllnir, then his ultimate, and proceeds to wipe my team, or any nearby tower when everyone has died. When farmed, I find it really hard to shut him down.

Ultimatum

Banned
I don't know why you guys think xcvbn is inefficient, my thumb sits over those keys anyway so may as well use them

qwer df skills
xcvbn space items - cvb most important - v usually blink
tab cycle
shift queue
1-4 ctrl groups
5 courier
ctrl order all units
f1/f2 runes
g speak
mouse side button for ts/mumble speak

I need to find somewhere to put quickbuy though... maybe z....

Ketch

I miss when Alch was actually the strongest carry.

I like alchemist as a carry at my scrub skill level just because how easy it is to secure the farm advantage, and if you're somewhat smart about item choices (already miles ahead of most opponents) farm advantage makes for easy wins.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
FWER Main Skills
Q extra spell 1
1-4 Control Groups
F1 Center on hero
` for courier

And I have a razer naga, so on the numpad on the side of the mouse:

Dev0EVz.jpg

Rotate that 90 degress left and that's how it sits on the mouse, so my thumb usually rests on item slot 1.

Falk

that puzzling face
Space should be bound to one of your most used actions considering how accessible it is and how it relatively doesn't interfere with the operation of your other fingers because based opposable thumbs.

Space for pause seems like... a waste D:

ViviOggi

Space should be bound to one of your most used actions considering how accessible it is and how it relatively doesn't interfere with the operation of your other fingers because based opposable thumbs.

Space for pause seems like... a waste D:

chansub-global-emoticon-8eed21805f6217ce-27x29.png

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
How do you guys bind your items? I'm thinking of changing it to alt+Q etc., but I heard Akke say in an interview that having to press 2 buttons to use any item isn't optimal, he said he only does it because he's used to it.

I'm using Space, Z, X, C, V, B, but it's not great.

1,2,3,4 for skills
5,6,7,8 for items
r for extra skill
q, w, e for control groups

G.ZZZ

Legacy keys
1 Control hero
F2 control all other units
234spacebarF for items (one unbinded)
F3 courier deliver items
F4 shop
F5 quickbuy
F6 buy scrolls
F7-F8 rune spots (never actually use those
Y chat weel
Ctrl for unified orders

Quesa

It's fine and all but I haven't seen it do anything Dotabuff doesn't already do.

Gives me a higher Winrate is what it does.

I'm not sure what games it tracks as opposed to DB, but DB has 15 more matches of mine than DM has. Interested to know what the difference is. I think it may be that DB tracks certain games that even the main client doesn't, because I know DB has counted some games that have said "no stats will be recorded" where not everyone leaves and the winning team has to push to ancient instead of wait for an auto-win.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Reddit said:

We League of Legends now.

EDIT: Kind of surprised no one has latched onto this yet. Valve reference Half Life 3 in the Lore for Tinkers Immortal boots.

"Why rely on uncertain sorcery when an unstable machine can be just as dangerous? Painstakingly reconstructed from half-remembered schematics, the transdimensional technologies built into these boots is theorized to have caused the Violet Plateau Incident. Of course, that couldn't possibly happen again. Er, could it?"

Acinixys

Nothing better in this game than winning mid but the lanes feed the enemy 10-0 by 5 mins and you cant recover because they go in 1 by 1 and feed even more

:(

Hylian7

Items: Alt+QWEASD
Rune Spots: Extra mouse buttons.
Voice chat: Mouse 4
Mumble chat: Mouse 5
Hero: F1
Courier: F2
Courier grab items and bring to hero: F3
Shop: F4

I use hotkeys in my shop too.

Nirvana

Yeah, Purge clearly has his place in the Dota "curriculum" and I think he's pretty solid at it, but no further. The Purge to Merlini progression has been what many, including myself, have followed and I think it's probably good enough to get just about any new player from total bottom tier to the 3000 - 4000 mmr range, assuming you pay decent enough attention and retain the knowledge.

This is basically my situation. I found Purge really helpful when I first started out, especially explaining things I had seen in competitive games that I didn't understand. What Purge does is teaches you the basics, but what I feel he lacks is truly focusing on his mistakes and why they happened. Merlini is constantly criticising his own play, not to mention that he is obviously at an entirely different level of play than Purge.

I went from watching Purge, to watching replays of pros, to finding the medium of Merlini, who in reality, is still as good as nearly any pro in the scene right now. The difference is the mentality he promotes, which is self-improvement, rather than blaming teammates - which you begin to notice Purge do quite often.

Quesa

Dumb question: So I know you still have an unranked MMR, but does it still change? Like could I eventually get into a higher mmr bracket in unranked if I got to be a better player, or is that just for ranked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom