• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT5| TECHIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demoli

Guys

How do you stop a Drow/Luna/Venge/Dazzle/Furion push strat?

We disrupted their lvl1 rosh attempt and got 4 kills to their 1

But their DPS was so insane we could do anything to stop them just steamrolling towers anyway

Big aoe disables Kill drow first then Dazzle then luna. Venge should be last.

FACE

Banned
Ember also gets stunned and damaged by Spiked Carapace :\

j5hWUMkK9BJiX.png

I thought this was supposed to be fixed on the spring cleaning update.

Nirvana

Ember also gets stunned and damaged by Spiked Carapace :\

j5hWUMkK9BJiX.png

I thought this was supposed to be fixed on the spring cleaning update.

He doesn't need any buffs to that ridiculous skill. It has way too many good points as it is to be honest.

FACE

Banned
Its not a buff though, its a bugfix thats needed.

Yup.

Edit: Ember also takes Last Will(necro unit) damage even after receiving the Sleight of Fist bug, so this is probably a bug between SoF and pure damage.

Edit 2: Not quite, EMP apparently doesn't deal damage.

Falk

that puzzling face
Bottom line is it's a skill that's supposed to make you pretty much invulnerable. For consistency it needs to be fixed, then we can talk about balancing him.

DOTA has already more bizarre, inexplicable exceptions than the english language as it is.

edit: Read backwards to the blademail bit. What about stuff like Centaur's Return, etc? I guess the big question is if he's supposed to be invulnerable or untargetable (including AOE damage)

inkls

Bug fixes are still buffs IMO. Remember when warlock golem was bugged? It got fixed and he got like a +20% win rate lol

Depends, remember the bug that made pudge's winrate skyrocket because rot would only deal half damage to himself and when they fixed it his winrate dropped back down?

Ultrabum

Depends, remember the bug that made pudge's winrate skyrocket because rot would only deal half damage to himself and when they fixed it his winrate dropped back down?

I guess I only consider it a buff/nerf if it's existed sense dota 2 came out or a really long time.

Like lone Druid armlet bear was nerfed.

When enchantress was able to control rosh for a while, I don't consider that a buff/nerf.

I mean, armlet bear was used in how many pro games? At some point it's just part of the game, regardless of weather it's a bug or not.

You bring up a good point.

G.ZZZ

What is your Sniper build?

Depends.

Mid anywhere below 4k is perfectly fine cause they never gank you. Side lane with a support more ideal.
Start with:

Wraith + tango

or

Circlet/slipper +tango/salve

if you suppose you're in a lane where you'll trade hits.

First item is phase boots. This is crucial. Phase boots early let you control the lane and never miss (ideally) a single cs as the damage + the instant projectile is super good. The positioning it give you, combined with MoM, is unvaluable.

Second item is MoM+Aquila. 2500 gold for essentially infinite sustain in the jungle + lane. With decent rotations between jungle and lane your farm will skyrocket. Differently from Midas also, lifesteal give you sustain in the jungle that is quite nice because you'll always go around with max hp. Aquila is good mostly for the mana aura, and the cheap damage is nice too. Remember that you can easily farm the ancient camp with just mom/phase boots, especially on dire, just position on the stairs and hold position. It's not the fastest farm, but often it's extremely safe and allow you to never stop farm instead of continuing farm in a risky lane.

Your core is Mjollnir. The item was nerfed, and for good reasons, it's insane. On a 950 range hero, your bounces get easily to targets 2k+ range away. Wait for teamfights to start, then mom+phase, get into position, and shower people into lightning.

After mjoll is situational, but my most consistent pickup is Skadi. The bkb-piercing slow is really good on him, again, because of the range, but also because most carries will be getting bkb against you else they just get permastunned and can't manfight at all. Ranged Skadi is extremely good against bkb. Other common pickups are BkB if against too much magical damage or something like a storm, or abyssal blade if your problem are carries that blink in ur face.

Skillbuild is max headshot first, take aim second, shrapnel last. Shrapnel is a good skill but too mana intensive for early game tbh. You can control lanes better by just getting a couple of lucky headshots procs and bully them out. Max take aim can be ideal in most situations, but usually before lvl 10-11 people don't have blinks en mass, so you don't always need that maximum distance positioning. Remember to use shrapnel in conjunction with your headshot to chase down escaping enemies, slow + ministuns ez game.

Results:

http://dotabuff.com/players/3814867...iper&lobby_type=&game_mode=&region=&duration=

Last week i got a 77% wr with the hero. The only loss i had was with Technomancer.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
It's nowhere near as good or reliable as Blink (AM, QoP), Waveform, Leap, Timewalk, Boulder Roll, Illusory Orb, Burrow Strike, Pounce, Charge of Darkness, Timberchain, Shukuchi and so forth. Let's just call it what it is: One of the most underwhelming escapes there is. The only escapes weaker are probably on invis heroes and unreliable blinks like PA's or Riki.

I think it's better than half of those.

Different skills are different. Sure windrun isn't a blink, but most blinks don't give 5s of 100% evasion or haste. I think it's difficult to directly compare something like burrow strike and windrun lol. Both can be very useful or not so useful depending on the scenario.

AM blink is arguably the best escape in the game. Does that mean every other escape is underwhelming? No. Different heroes are different, as are the skills.

This new ancient seal looks pretty nasty. Who would be the best lane partner for a support skywrath? I see a concussive shot into ancient seal into nuke from lane partner just destroying people. 30% amp plus 3 sec silence at level 1 seems insane.

What about a Skywrath + Centaur dual lane?

-Skywrath's spammable long range harass (both arcane bolt and auto attacks) helps Centaur farm
-Skywrath's slow and silence help Centaur get in before he gets his blink
-Skywrath's damage amplify significantly boosts Centaur's nuke combo

-Centaur's stun and 100% slow (from his ultimate) help Skywrath land his ultimate
-Centaur's ultimate gives Skywrath an escape mechanism before he gets his force staff

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Geez, Earth Spirit items are worth Nothing. I think his rare set in the Cloud/Steel chest is one of the least valuable item in them. I won one of his Stone Remnant from a low value bet, the thing goes for $.30.

Depends.

Mid anywhere below 4k is perfectly fine cause they never gank you. Side lane with a support more ideal.
Start with:

Wraith + tango

or

Circlet/slipper +tango/salve

if you suppose you're in a lane where you'll trade hits.

First item is phase boots. This is crucial. Phase boots early let you control the lane and never miss (ideally) a single cs as the damage + the instant projectile is super good. The positioning it give you, combined with MoM, is unvaluable.

Second item is MoM+Aquila. 2500 gold for essentially infinite sustain in the jungle + lane. With decent rotations between jungle and lane your farm will skyrocket. Differently from Midas also, lifesteal give you sustain in the jungle that is quite nice because you'll always go around with max hp. Aquila is good mostly for the mana aura, and the cheap damage is nice too. Remember that you can easily farm the ancient camp with just mom/phase boots, especially on dire, just position on the stairs and hold position. It's not the fastest farm, but often it's extremely safe and allow you to never stop farm instead of continuing farm in a risky lane.

Your core is Mjollnir. The item was nerfed, and for good reasons, it's insane. On a 950 range hero, your bounces get easily to targets 2k+ range away. Wait for teamfights to start, then mom+phase, get into position, and shower people into lightning.

After mjoll is situational, but my most consistent pickup is Skadi. The bkb-piercing slow is really good on him, again, because of the range, but also because most carries will be getting bkb against you else they just get permastunned and can't manfight at all. Ranged Skadi is extremely good against bkb. Other common pickups are BkB if against too much magical damage or something like a storm, or abyssal blade if your problem are carries that blink in ur face.

Skillbuild is max headshot first, take aim second, shrapnel last. Shrapnel is a good skill but too mana intensive for early game tbh. You can control lanes better by just getting a couple of lucky headshots procs and bully them out. Max take aim can be ideal in most situations, but usually before lvl 10-11 people don't have blinks en mass, so you don't always need that maximum distance positioning. Remember to use shrapnel in conjunction with your headshot to chase down escaping enemies, slow + ministuns ez game.

Results:

http://dotabuff.com/players/3814867...iper&lobby_type=&game_mode=&region=&duration=

Last week i got a 77% wr with the hero. The only loss i had was with Technomancer.

I'll give Mjollnir a shot. Usually after MOM, I go manta style-> daedulus

Kreunt

Banned
Just went 16-2 as Skywrath mid, hero feels strong as fuck at the moment. And I usually play him as a dual lane support.

Geez, Earth Spirit items are worth Nothing. I think his rare set in the Cloud/Steel chest is one of the least valuable item in them. I won one of his Stone Remnant from a low value bet, the thing goes for $.30.

He's the least played of the three spirits by a huge margin, but somehow has the most items of the three. And not for a lack of Ember or Storm items on the workshop.

Artanisix

I think it's better than half of those.

Different skills are different. Sure windrun isn't a blink, but most blinks don't give 5s of 100% evasion or haste. I think it's difficult to directly compare something like burrow strike and windrun lol. Both can be very useful or not so useful depending on the scenario.

AM blink is arguably the best escape in the game. Does that mean every other escape is underwhelming? No. Different heroes are different, as are the skills.

It's a damn strong escape, but I guess that's the beauty of dota, in the eye of the beholder or what not.

Different skills are different isn't a very good argument for whether or not a skill passes as a good escape mechanism.

Windrun is notably poor, as it's typically the last skill the WR will max. It isn't 5 seconds at level 1, it's 2.75, and it's typically going to stay level 1 or 2 until level 12+, which is a significant amount of time into the game. The bonus movement speed gets completely shut down by any slow in the game (not to mention stuns or immobilizes), you cannot disjoint spells with it, and the evasion is countered lategame by MKB carriers. Yeah, sure it can be used as an escape, but it's not a very good one. There's a reason you never see WR in the offlane anymore. One disable ends her.

Skills like Blink, Surge, Illusory Orb, and Pounce are infinitely better as escapes. Even Scorched Earth is better than Windrun.

Hylian7

Different skills are different isn't a very good argument for whether or not a skill passes as a good escape mechanism.

Windrun is notably poor, as it's typically the last skill the WR will max. It isn't 5 seconds at level 1, it's 2.75, and it's typically going to stay level 1 or 2 until level 12+, which is a significant amount of time into the game. The bonus movement speed gets completely shut down by any slow in the game (not to mention stuns or immobilizes), you cannot disjoint spells with it, and the evasion is countered lategame by MKB carriers. Yeah, sure it can be used as an escape, but it's not a very good one. There's a reason you never see WR in the offlane anymore. One disable ends her.

Skills like Blink, Surge, Illusory Orb, and Pounce are infinitely better as escapes. Even Scorched Earth is better than Windrun.
She doesn't just have the option of plChain. back barely in XP range and Powershotting for farm and harass?

I kind of feel like you could make that argument about Timbersaw. One well timed stun will stop Timber Chain. Granted it is on a much shorter cooldown and mana cost than Windrun, getting your critical Timber Chain stopped usually means your're dead.

Artanisix

She doesn't just have the option of plChain. back barely in XP range and Powershotting for farm and harass?

I kind of feel like you could make that argument about Timbersaw. One well timed stun will stop Timber Chain. Granted it is on a much shorter cooldown and mana cost than Windrun, getting your critical Timber Chain stopped usually means your're dead.

Heroes like Doom, Timber, Centaur, Nyx, and Dark Seer succeed in the offlane because they're naturally tanky with stout shield and can leech XP from enemy pulls. If only one support comes to harass them, they can trade hits with the support and push them out.

Windranger cannot trade hits with supports, not without actually using her "escape mechanism". That's one of the reasons why she's much better mid, where she can use Windrun to fight the opponent, rather than using it to run.

Ultrabum

Heroes like Doom, Timber, Centaur, Nyx, and Dark Seer succeed in the offlane because they're naturally tanky with stout shield and can leech XP from enemy pulls. If only one support comes to harass them, they can trade hits with the support and push them out.

Windranger cannot trade hits with supports, not without actually using her "escape mechanism". That's why she's much better mid, where she can use Windrun to fight the opponent, rather than using it to run.

I thank god everytime there is a windrunner offlane in my games. It's so much better than many of the other offlaneers I see such as: specter, antimage, earth spirit, lion, kunkka, ect.

#still in the trench

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I think there is a glitch that if you open it while in a game you only get 1. Or maybe it gives a random amount, I don't know, I haven't gotten one yet.

Guys, how much is a Database with info on 110 Million items and their owners worth? Some random guy is asking me.

Are you sure you didn't hit accept all on the first one and they're sitting in your inventory?

Nope. I looked at my armory and there are none to be found other than 1 Funn1k card I got from opening the pack. I was spectating a game when I opened it so it might be a factor but I'm quite disappointed since the player card drop rate is very low.

Quilt

Neo Member
Guys what can I do as a support against a Bristleback Qop lane?

It seems an odd combo, but the amount of harass they can put out is intense so it's easy for them to disrupt your usual support activities.

Guys what can I do as a support against a Bristleback Qop lane?

It seems an odd combo, but the amount of harass they can put out is intense so it's easy for them to disrupt your usual support activities.
Run away and gank every other lane on the map to get your team kills and try and keep the rest of them down.

Or get the rest of your team to come together early and fuck them up. Qop is squishy and bristle needs some farm so if you kill them both enough they should be nullified.

Granted both of those require coordination you might not find in your average pub game :(

I don't really understand how Dark Seer is supposed to work (in standard solo offlane position). Do you intentionally push the creep equilibrium to their tower with ion shell, so that their tower messes up their last hits? Meanwhile, you get your gold/xp from casting ion shell on their jungle creeps, while hanging around in lane for xp/occasional ion shell lane creep kills, surge-running away as soon as they go for you?

Quilt

Neo Member
Run away and gank every other lane on the map to get your team kills and try and keep the rest of them down.

Or get the rest of your team to come together early and fuck them up. Qop is squishy and bristle needs some farm so if you kill them both enough they should be nullified.

Granted both of those require coordination you might not find in your average pub game :(

Definitely good advice, in fairness we should have responded better as we were a 4 stack and underestimated how disruptive they would be. I was Rubick and got wrekt and Qop followed me as a I roamed and wrekt me some more.

Does leaving a decent solo laner with an escape against them make sense? it seems that way they'll be unable to snowball from kills and they'll be competing for farm.

Razzer

I don't really understand how Dark Seer is supposed to work (in standard solo offlane position). Do you intentionally push the creep equilibrium to their tower with ion shell, so that their tower messes up their last hits? Meanwhile, you get your gold/xp from casting ion shell on their jungle creeps, while hanging around in lane for xp/occasional ion shell lane creep kills, surge-running away as soon as they go for you?

Yeah. Ion shell can get you last hits, especially if you have two at once. It totally wrecks melee farmers. And if the supports stack your jungle you can rotate after a while and clear some camps, getting you mad gold. And whilst the lane is pushing you can kill their hard camp or something. Bear in mind that dark seer will be way better against melee lanes, ranged heroes kinda fuck him in lane.

Yeah. Ion shell can get you last hits, especially if you have two at once. It totally wrecks melee farmers. And if the supports stack your jungle you can rotate after a while and clear some camps, getting you mad gold. And whilst the lane is pushing you can kill their hard camp or something. Bear in mind that dark seer will be way better against melee lanes, ranged heroes kinda fuck him in lane.

Also Anti-Mage because Dark Seer kind of needs his mana.

Edit: Getting a value point in Mana Shield is also pretty good against Ion.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

Agreed with the bolded. Disagree with the rest. Windrun can be more useful than the others depending on the situation. When I say abilities are different and heroes are different; I simply mean that I don't like taking individual abilities in a vacuum and saying X is strictly better than Y, making a blanket statement that ignores the rest of the toolkit, hero, and the thousands of different scenarios that can occur during a dota match.

I sort of understand what you're getting when isolating ourselves to the word "escape;" I guess it was a mistake to simply stick to single out such a narrow aspect of a broadly useful ability, that's on me.

However, it's fairly easy to make pretty much any skill look bad with a list of negatives, ignoring all the positives:
Leap is notably poor, as it's typically the last skill the Mirana will max. It isn't 870 range at level 1, it's 630, and it's typically going to stay level 1 or 2 until level 12+, which is a significant amount of time into the game. The bonus movement speed gets completely shut down by any slow in the game (not to mention stuns or immobilizes after the leap), it has a long cooldown, and the actual leap aspect is completely countered mid-game when every hero and their mother buys blink. Yeah, sure it can be used as an escape, but it's not a very good one. There's a reason you rarely see POTM off-lane anymore, that's why they put her mid, safe-lane, or as a roamer! One disable ends her.

Skills like Blink, Surge, Illusory Orb, and Pounce are infinitely better as escapes. Even Scorched Earth is better than Leap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom