• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT5| TECHIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I still find it amusing silencer has some of the crapiest silences in the game. Global silence is way to short, and last word gives to much leeway. Ice frog should just add a solid 3 seconds to his ults duration, or also make it undispellable

The aghs upgrade for silencer should have been you can still activate bkbs to block all other magic damage your team is dishing out but you're still silenced through the ult no matter what.

Instead it's a silly dot used for youtube videos about global damage.

Uriah

My daily hero is shadowfiend, one of the few heroes I don't play. Tried him in a bot game and while he was fun, I don't want to force my crap play on other players.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck man i'm slowly turning into one of those dota assholes, when my team is losing i can't help but flame my team mates. Sure they kinda deserve it sometimes but i should refrain all together from that shit. Feels bad man :(

Fuck man i'm slowly turning into one of those dota assholes, when my team is losing i can't help but flame my team mates. Sure they kinda deserve it sometimes but i should refrain all together from that shit. Feels bad man :(

Queue with a friend.

Also remember that flaming your teammates won't change a thing, in fact they will perform worse than before. Try complimenting them everytime they do a good job and you will see better results. When I see 2 players fighting in my team, I try to calm them down and type "lets just do our best". More often than not, it works.

Also when I observed that a teammate is doing his job well, I express to the team that I'm commending him. I like to think it empowers the player and motivates him/her to continue doing well.

Hylian7

My daily hero was Venocancer. I tried two games with a friend and couldn't do it and gave up. It was a support and supports are my kryptonite. I might give it one more try tomorrow after work.

BearPawB

Banned
My daily hero was Venocancer. I tried two games with a friend and couldn't do it and gave up. It was a support and supports are my kryptonite. I might give it one more try tomorrow after work.

Veno is great.
I don't bother going wards early, unless you have a team that needs all the push they can get.

Have your friend play someone with a reliable stun. They stun, you gale, you get a kill.

Anuxinamoon

Shaper Divine
I love the new arteezy naga and the shirts are cute especially the aui one, but sad to see they aren't added anywhere as part of the contributors on the workshop. Which means if atour leaves EG or the players from c9 leave they wont get profits from any extra sales :(

I tried to discuss this to Charlie back when I was doing arteezy naga but he said this is how a lot of the teams, like c9 and eg do these days.

So sad :(

NBtoaster

Tinker is such an annoying shit. Can't win the lane, you're blind. Can't win a teamfight, you're covered in robots. Can't focus him, he hides in the trees balsting rockets. Can't farm, he's always there. Can't buy fun items, gotta get bkb. Though even his robots go through it.

Ok so I want to do support Skywrath, what do I do?

Don't support as Skywrath. He is better played with items.

Source:
I tried plying him as a position 4/5 support for a long while and wasn't able to contribute anything to the team

Tinker is such an annoying shit. Can't win the lane, you're blind. Can't win a teamfight, you're covered in robots. Can't focus him, he hides in the trees balsting rockets. Can't farm, he's always there. Can't buy fun items, gotta get bkb. Though even his robots go through it.

Yeah I hate playing against Tinker too especially now with the surge of his popularity. One fun thing to try is smoke up with an ally in one of the lanes and wait for him to TP there then kill the shit out of him.

Acinixys

I've tried Mjollnir on him (Ember) and it really didn't proc too often. Not too good for ember imo.

Im pretty sure i read on Reddit (with all their crying for bug fixes) that Maelstrom/Mjollnir can only proc once during a sleight. So even if you hit 40 creeps and 5 heroes you'll only get one lightning arc

I could be wrong tho

These are so lame. Why would anyone wear these shirts in public or pay like $20-30. I'm a massive C9 fan but these are idiotic

268x268.resizedimage
268x268.resizedimage
268x268.resizedimage

Not enough Anime. The only shirt I would buy would be a n0Tail + SingSing playing mario party one

Regarding Purge coaching. Here are his thoughts:

Thanks for the general positivity here, I appreciate it. I think about flamers/haters quite a bit and why they do what they do, and what causes them to have to verbalize their dislike, so I thought I'd share my opinion. Just to preface, these issues affect almost all personalities and players, but I'm referring to myself a lot of the times because I have more examples.

It seems pretty clear that most everyone here understands supply/demand and if people pay for the coaching, then they think it's valuable, so the question in this thread is more why people are toxic.

The main thing that breeds hate is a form of jealousy. I don't know if there is a special word for it, but it's your opinion of what someone deserves.

When I first started getting popular, I got a lot of comments saying that I didn't deserve my fame because I wasn't a top tier player(which I'm still not). This point confused me because you don't have to be the best to teach new players, so surely it's not about my skill level, it's about them imposing their views on what I deserve, and if that doesn't match up, there will be jealousy, confusion and hate.

If they think I don't deserve it they feel justified in telling me or others that I don't deserve it, because it makes them mad that I'm getting something that I don't deserve. It makes them feel better to vent about it in a place like twitch chat and try to convince other people about their viewpoint. If all else fails they'll do a direct bully attack on the person in question which is fairly rare, but it sometimes happens, depending on the level of hate.

A example from below that someone wrote in this thread:

If anything the community should be angry at purge for offering coaching services while not having strong qualifications or merit to provide such coaching. If purge didn't want to take so much crap from the community then he should prove himself to be a good player.

It's a whole lot of imposing what they think I deserve based on their opinions of my content. If I don't meet the standards, then they will be justified in saying shitty things to me, which really isn't very fair to me as a content producer/streamer. If they don't like my content, and they think what I do is wrong, they just shouldn't watch(unless I'm doing something that hurts other people, then drama thread away).

A lot of haters will gloss over the things we do to deserve the fame, like hard work, consistent content, etc., and just focus on something that THEY think is the only important factor, like dota skill. There is a reason that I get more viewers than a typical pro player, and it's not because the average viewer thinks I'm better than a typical pro. If they gloss this over, this makes them mad, because they see no explanation to success and feel justified flaming. "he doesn't DESERVE to have this many viewers when ### streams at 60 viewers!"

So that was probably too much text about why people sometimes hate content producers, but those are my main ideas/thoughts on them. Sometimes people will spam purge 50$ because of the above points, and sometimes they will spam it about the next points.

The main reason that people are toxic in twitch chat is because it's fun to flame/shit talk/contradict the streamer and feel superior to them because of the streamer's mistake.

It's pretty basic human nature to enjoy noticing and talking about other peoples mistakes, but it's hard to remember that the streamer is a real person and that they often read their chat.

This section is where most of the 50$ comments come from, because it's an easy pot shot that is fun to make. Some people mean it more light hearted than others, so it's pretty hard to distinguish between someone light flaming so they don't get banned, and someone just trying to make a joke.

I spent way too long on this and making sure that it was fairly concise, so I'm just gonna end it here and I hope you guys enjoyed my thoughts and perspective on it.

Aselith

Im pretty sure i read on Reddit (with all their crying for bug fixes) that Maelstrom/Mjollnir can only proc once during a sleight. So even if you hit 40 creeps and 5 heroes you'll only get one lightning arc

I would say that's in line with my experience. Will have to revisit if they fix it someday.

Marcus

i hate the people at my ranking.. is there any reason to go midas on antimage at 10 mins in? we're already losing and we need him to get his manta online asap.

SZGF

Banned
Purge is addressing hate as a whole, but isn't actually responding to the point that qualification for or merit in coaching is related to his skill or his professional results.

dmshaposv

Why does anybody keep paying for his coaching when he sucks ass?

This shit again.

Why do people teach swimming if they haven't won a single olympic medal? Because some people are good TEACHERS and don't require to be the best in their field to teach someone new the basics.

Bottom line: Good Coach =/= Good player. What is important is that you are well versed in basics, have the ability to correctly point out mistakes and have patience both in temperament (something even most Dota pro players lack) and communication.

Yes SynderN, Merlini, e.t.c possess all these qualities and are in general better players, but no one is stopping them to charge $100 per hour if they want. Purge is popular due to his videos so he knows people are willing to pay $50 for his lessons.

myrares

Banned
This shit again.

Why do people teach swimming if they haven't won a single olympic medal? Because some people are good TEACHERS and don't require to be the best in their field to teach someone new the basics.

Bottom line: Good Coach =/= Good player. What is important is you are well versed in basics, has the ability to correctly point out your mistakes and patience both in temperament (something even most Dota pro players lack) and communication.

Yes SynderN, Merlini, e.t.c possess all these qualities and are in general better players, but no one is stopping them to charge $100 per hour if they want. Purge is popular due to his videos so he knows people are willing to pay $50 for his lessons.

Maybe what the guy is referring to when he says "sucks ass" could be Purge's teaching.

Acinixys

FML should have bet on HGT

92% - 8% odds :(

You probably think he's a good coach right?

It doesn't really matter WHY you think he sucks ass as a coach. What matters is whether he is a good coach or not. And those flaming him don't think so

shadowshamangettinghooked.webm

myrares

Banned
He is clearly insinuating that Purge sucks ass as a coach due to being a less skilled player.

You probably think he's a good coach right?

It doesn't really matter WHY you think he sucks ass as a coach. What matters is whether he is a good coach or not. And those flaming him don't think so

Kreunt

Banned
Ok so I want to do support Skywrath, what do I do?

i'll usually start with courier, salve, tangos, 2x clarity and branches.
harass the shit out of anyone in your lane with arcane bolts.
arcanes, force staff, atos.
skadi or sheepstick late game if you get that far.

most of these games were as a support
Zt6XmNz.png

Nirvana

Sheepstick yes, but Skadi? Really that seems like a pretty troll item. If you're farmed enough, you might as well get an aghanims or a bloodstone after Sheep (preferably both). These two items both give him tankiness and also synergise with his skillset.

Circumstantially you could also get Linkens, BKB, ghost sceptre/E-blade, or Shivas. All of these items I feel are better than getting Skadi, since you only use your right-click in between firing off Qs and you have concussive shot (and likely Atos) for slow anyway.

Sanjay

I really need to try this hero out properly.

ElyrionX

Zt6XmNz.png

Do you go safe lane with a carry and give him all the farm?

Razzer

Not to beat a dead horse, but the whole purge coaching complaints about his skill level is dumb. Even ignoring the fact that he is coaching people who wouldn't understand 90% of the shit pro players tell them, skill has nothing to do with coaching ability or knowledge of how to play well. Just look at any sport. Sir Alex Ferguson didn't have an amazing playing career (it was okay), but he is one of the greatest football managers who has ever lived, coaching and instructing people who were much better players than him. Same goes for lots of football managers. If you think Purge's teaching ability of the basics is bad then flame away, but saying he shouldn't be coaching because of his skill as a player is just silly.

My 2 cents.

Kreunt

Banned
Sheepstick yes, but Skadi? Really that seems like a pretty troll item. If you're farmed enough, you might as well get an aghanims or a bloodstone after Sheep (preferably both). These two items both give him tankiness and also synergise with his skillset.

Circumstantially you could also get Linkens, BKB, ghost sceptre/E-blade, or Shivas. All of these items I feel are better than getting Skadi, since you only use your right-click in between firing off Qs and you have concussive shot (and likely Atos) for slow anyway.

Skadi gives you significantly more hp/mana than Bloodstone or Linkens, and importantly it's giving you mana in the form of +int, which scales your Q.

Shivas I agree with being a good item for Skywrath.

Kreunt

Banned
It's impressive how fast sing is with the camera drag. I also wanted to play this way since i never really liked edge pan (despite it being default in most RTS) but I'm way to slow at it and almost always accidentally scroll the mouse wheel when clicking it :D

I've been considering starting using that, I'd have to put it on a different button though, wheel button sucks.

MadGear

I've been considering starting using that, I'd have to put it on a different button though, wheel button sucks.

Yeah, I should retry it with a reassigned button, it should work much better. But my Hotkey-Layout is already a mess with some buttons assigned to quick cast and what not ... probably need to rethink my whole layout before doing so :D

Nirvana

Skadi gives you significantly more hp/mana than Bloodstone or Linkens, and importantly it's giving you mana in the form of +int, which scales your Q.

Shivas I agree with being a good item for Skywrath.

I understand the point behind it I guess, but I feel like spending that much money on stats isn't going to be as useful as having the mana regen Bloodstone provides or the ultimate upgrade from aghanims. The slow from Skadi also becomes redundant when you have Atos and Concussive shot, so you are only really buying it for the stats. It's kind of like stacking mystic staffs on OD, sure, it gives him lots of int which he wants, but a refresher orb is going to give him much more late game viability.

Clearly you have won a lot of games doing it though, so I'm sure it works for you, I just feel like if we're talking about standard progressions here it is possibly not going to give you as much late-game viability or utility as other items.

I also forgot to mention Euls, which works well with his ult. But I guess if you end up with Atos, Force and Euls, you start running out of item slots with too much utility and not enough late game.

G.ZZZ

Flame on, and bask in the relaxation that come after. Rage purify your soul.

Or just stop losing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom