• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT5| TECHIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played my first game yesterday in which I had Active items, and completely lost my head with them, forgetting I even had them when things got hectic, let alone using them effectively.

This will take some getting used to.

abunai

Tried playing some more games whilst abroad. Inherited an old Macbook from my brother and every time my muscle memory goes to press ctrl+q to level up my Q, it hits the cmd key on this stupid keyboard and cmd+q quits the game. zzzz

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Wow. Just wow. He gave you an intelligent and respectful breakdown and you respond with this.

Intelligent and respectful breakdown of what? You can't watch the replay of a game and know what was said in team chat or mumble. I asked the Axe if he would at least jungle since our team had 5 melee carries so if we couldn't farm at least maximizing our exp gain would help but he was demanding safe farm...

I agree that Alchemist is a good support but if I knew I was playing support with my first pick and that everybody else on the team was going to pick a melee carry I would have picked a different hero.

Risible

Intelligent and respectful breakdown of what? You can't watch the replay of a game and know what was said in team chat or mumble. I asked the Axe if he would at least jungle since our team had 5 melee carries so if we couldn't farm at least maximizing our exp gain would help but he was demanding safe farm...

I agree that Alchemist is a good support but if I knew I was playing support with my first pick and that everybody else on the team was going to pick a melee carry I would have picked a different hero.

You were in a game with a dude on your Friends list, and in fact were in a 3 stack, and you still acted like a total ass and fed intentionally. What amazes me is how unrepentant you are. Sure it sucks when people don't play well, but acting like that is so childish it blows my mind.

Nirvana

Sure, all of this is probably true, but at least lose the game with dignity rather than intentionally feeding. You basically lose all rights to talk shit on your teammates when you do that, because it is a universally hated thing in any MOBA, and more to the point, it singles you out as the guy who officially lost them the game.

I have arguments with my stack about stuff, but we generally just talk it out. I've been in a bad headspace with Dota lately, feeling like I've been playing pretty horrible and getting very frustrated (especially with Mirana and Tinker in EVERY SINGLE GAME), but at the end of the day, a loss is a loss, and I'd rather make mistakes that I can learn from than deliberately fuck everyone on my team in the arse.

Even if just for the selfish reason of being able to say you tried to win the game, and your teammates were in the wrong, don't be the cocksucker who deliberately feeds. It's the behaviour of a petulant child.

EDIT: Okay, lots of people jumping on you here. I don't want to witchhunt you, so apologies for that. I guess it proves my point though, intentional feeding just makes you universally the arsehole.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
My stack wasn't mad. The Bristle accidentally randomed, which is why he was the one that abandoned. The Tiny is a hyper casual player and doesn't care about anything at all. If it was JUST my stack being dumb I would have just played the game out and bitched about the pubs for a half hour while we more than likely got stomped, but because the pubs both had last picks, got awful heroes and then demanded that we kowtow to their needs meant we were done with the game before it even started.

Like I said, you can't get all the information from a replay. You guys don't know what relationship I have with the people I play Dota with.

BigAT

My stack wasn't mad. The Bristle accidentally randomed, which is why he was the one that abandoned. The Tiny is a hyper casual player and doesn't care about anything at all. If it was JUST my stack being dumb I would have just played the game out and bitched about the pubs for a half hour while we more than likely got stomped, but because the pubs both had last picks, got awful heroes and then demanded that we kowtow to their needs meant we were done with the game before it even started.

Like I said, you can't get all the information from a replay. You guys don't know what relationship I have with the people I play Dota with.

Sounds like you guys all deserve each other.

Massive problem here.

Got into a match and my PC decided that pressing any key on the keyboard should correspond to it's function on Windows 8. Pressing X exits to desktop, W goes to Search, R goes to Run, 1 opens up Internet Explorer. I don't know what's going on or how to fix it :s

Had to Abandon a match because of it for the first time :(

ZeroX03

Banned
You were in a game with a dude on your Friends list, and in fact were in a 3 stack, and you still acted like a total ass and fed intentionally. What amazes me is how unrepentant you are. Sure it sucks when people don't play well, but acting like that is so childish it blows my mind.

We've all seen this sort of behavior from the worst of the worst on DotA, but I'm surprised at seeing it from a Gaffer. There's no justification for ruining the game for everyone.

dmshaposv

More people - especially newbies - should play Warlock.

You basically heal ur team mates, spam fatal bonds and when team fights happen - drop your golem and then use the most game-breaking and disgusting disable in the whole game.

You basically heal ur team mates, spam fatal bonds and when team fights happen - drop your golem and then use the most game-breaking and disgusting disable in the whole game.

As a newbie, I have a lot of trouble managing both the golem and warlock. I know I only have to say 'walk around and punch people' and 'stand there and channel upheaval', but unless I'm focussed - and if a teamfight happens, I'm way too panicky for that - I often end up accidently giving an order to warlock making him cancel the channeling.

LiQuid!

We've all seen this sort of behavior from the worst of the worst on DotA, but I'm surprised at seeing it from a Gaffer. There's no justification for ruining the game for everyone.

To be fair, I didn't ruin the game for everyone. I'm sure the radiant team, especially that Ember had a ton of fun that game. I ruined the game for that Axe perhaps, but you won't convince me that he didn't deserve it, and that's why I'm unrepentant.

Wok

I like Omniknight but I don't like the fact he is only melee, I would like a mix à la Trollwarlord so that I could at least deward. I am going to try WL.

To be fair, I didn't ruin the game for everyone. I'm sure the radiant team, especially that Ember had a ton of fun that game. I ruined the game for that Axe perhaps, but you won't convince me that he didn't deserve it, and that's why I'm unrepentant.

The problem is not about ruining the game, it is about appearing childish... and being mad because of a game. Man, get your priorities. It is a game.

So my first game as Lone Druid was going as badly as expected and then we won

http://dotabuff.com/matches/707559018

That comeback...

15k gold behind, I run in to try to solo Roshan get him to half health when AM jumps me, he kills me but Void gets there in time with ult to kill AM get Aegis and then just run straight for their base and end game

LiQuid!

The problem is not about ruining the game, it is about appearing childish... and being mad because of a game. Man, get your priorities. It is a game.
I don't disagree that it's childish, but it's not like I make a habit of feeding and/or abandoning games just because team composition isn't optimal. Check my Dotabuff. Even in the worst shit shows I try to do my best with what I got. That Axe was a piece of shit and he ruined my game before I ruined his. You just can't see his offense on the scoreboard. Sorry.

Falk

that puzzling face
Massive problem here.

Got into a match and my PC decided that pressing any key on the keyboard should correspond to it's function on Windows 8. Pressing X exits to desktop, W goes to Search, R goes to Run, 1 opens up Internet Explorer. I don't know what's going on or how to fix it :s

Had to Abandon a match because of it for the first time :(

Sounds like the good old days where alt would get stuck

I like Omniknight but I don't like the fact he is only melee, I would like a mix à la Trollwarlord so that I could at least deward. I am going to try WL.

Just a reminder, you can use quelling blade to deward. I know it's not the best way, but still a possibiity.

BigAT

Is it bad manners to unpause when someone hasn't picked a hero? If they accepted the game they should be ready to play

9 times out of 10 the person is there and just taking their sweet time trying to counterpick your heroes, but not wanting to lose gold. Unpause.

If I'm ever going to get any better at carrying I think I need to figure out what people actually do in these 4-5 carry line-up games. People do it all the time so I guess it must work out for them sometimes. The old trying to pick what the team needs thing just means playing support in nine out of ten games.

LiQuid!

Is it bad manners to unpause when someone hasn't picked a hero? If they accepted the game they should be ready to play

Until Volvo adds auto-random at 0:00 then no, the gold loss is there to prevent scummy counter picking.

Don't take ethics advice from me tho, I'm a pariah all of a sudden

dmshaposv

If I'm ever going to get any better at carrying I think I need to figure out what people actually do in these 4-5 carry line-up games. People do it all the time so I guess it must work out for them sometimes. The old trying to pick what the team needs thing just means playing support in nine out of ten games.

Play a support or early game hero that has a stun/disable and has a skill that scales into mid/late game. Sand king, centaur, axe, e.t.c.

Pub kids call them "tanks" but honestly these are early game support heroes that make space for that dumb fuck that picked spectre when someone already took AM or FV. I've honestly carried more games as Axe, SK than any of these late game fragile carries.

G.ZZZ

Game too heavy bros. 0-11-1 , 0-14-5, i mean. How do you feed this much when u're at least decent. Learn to position, to farm from behind. Worse than first timers zzz.

Randdalf

I reckon EG could beat Vici today, they've gotten better through the course of the tournament.

Had to reset the PC to fix the keyboard issue. With the 5-minute disconnect window, can you reset the PC and jump back into the match?

If your PC restarts fast enough, definitely, even longer if your team pauses. Just make sure you install Windows updates as often as possible so you're not stuck waiting for them to finish.

LiQuid!

Had to reset the PC to fix the keyboard issue. With the 5-minute disconnect window, can you reset the PC and jump back into the match?

The game being paused halts the 5 minute timer, so you have as long as your team can keep the game paused for you.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
What is 'zzz' even supposed to imply? It seems people use it to mean 'there is nothing I can do', but it feels like it should mean something like 'game is boring'

Also, I can reboot my pc and get back into dota in under 2 minutes, but I have a ssd.

Snowdrift

Can Beastmaster be a four position support hero? I feel like the only downside is mana upkeep so you need a tiny bit of farm. Perhaps a CM in the fifth slot for the aura.

Shengar

What is 'zzz' even supposed to imply? It seems people use it to mean 'there is nothing I can do', but it feels like it should mean something like 'game is boring'

Also, I can reboot my pc and get back into dota in under 2 minutes, but I have a ssd.
Sometimes it's also sinonymous with sighing or facepalming. At least in my country that is.

LiQuid!

Can Beastmaster be a four position support hero? I feel like the only downside is mana upkeep so you need a tiny bit of farm. Perhaps a CM in the fifth slot for the aura.

I've had the most success with him solo offlane. You can't do much on the hero until you get a bottle or arcanes and a blink. No matter what position or how you lane him tho make sure you prioritize stacking ancients.

Acinixys

Someone please tell me how to play Mirana properly. She just doesn't feel right to me and I don't know if it's me or the hero.

Watch SingSing play her

4 - 2 - 1 - 1 at level 8

Use your ult to initiate/escape

Spam arrows and if you get a hit on a solo go for the kill

Remember that to get max damage on starfall you have to be in melee range (100 units)

9 times out of 10 the person is there and just taking their sweet time trying to counterpick your heroes, but not wanting to lose gold. Unpause.
What he said. I've seen it happen plenty of times in teams I was on and often the player just asks his teammates what to pick. Unpause and let him deal with the gold loss.

kvk1

My understanding is that "zzz" is an admission of fault.

It's an "I got caught sleeping" expression.

Ultrabum

My understanding is that "zzz" is an admission of fault.

It's an "I got caught sleeping" expression.

I always assumed it meant "this game is boring" usually implying that the persons teammates are the reason why they are losing. Often used after the person dies, it's a pretty strange thing really.

Example. Mid dies to 3 man gank while having no wards, types zzz.

My understanding was that it meant, "tired of this shit." But it appears definitions vary.

elyetis

oh shit i'm finally invited on d2modd queue!
but the link doesn't work... :(
Don't get too much hope now that you are invited, it's up like 4x30min a day before it's down again.
But it does get better each time so it should end up being really really good in a couple month.

Wok

I've had the most success with him solo offlane. You can't do much on the hero until you get a bottle or arcanes and a blink. No matter what position or how you lane him tho make sure you prioritize stacking ancients.

I know how to stack creeps. Is there a particular timing for ancients? They cannot reappear every minute, right?

Ultrabum

I know how to stack creeps. Is there a particular timing for ancients? They cannot reappear every minute, right?

It works the exact same way. There is an invisible region on the ground, if there is nothing inside at X:00 then more spawn.

SamVimes

Like always Merlini knows what the best build is better than the professional players. He should join a professional team.

Oh wait, he did a tryout for dignitas and didn't get accepted because he's not good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom