• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT5| TECHIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falk

that puzzling face
Welp, makes Ayesee being up there even more sour.

I'd really like a caster to know the game, not simply describe (incorrectly 1/3 of the time) what he sees on the screen while sounding like he's trying to sell you insurance.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
legit dota is a godsend, I stopped buying new consoles and spending $300+ on video games per year since the dota 2 beta.

plus, plain and simple, it's just the most damn fun, satisfying game I've ever played and 8 years later, game still feels completelyl fresh.

I still buy a ton of video games but never play them because of Dota.

I'm an idiot.

Acinixys

This Xerodota guy casting the GEST games is the worst ive ever heard

He has no game knowledge or insight. He just describes whats happening. Its terrible

mfaex

Stopped downloading, I already restarted steam and everything.

Try verifying the game cache if you haven't.

Sucks about Draskyl. I love his casting, but I agree he's making a mistake by turning down the invite over pride. Hope he reconsiders.

ksan

At least Draskyl isn't being bitch made, I think he did the right thing given his track record compared to many other casters.

Though Valve might have decided to run with only two pairs for the main event, in that case I don't know.

I love his stream and I really enjoy his personality. He's a very good player himself (although Merlini is probably the best player among all casters) and offers good insight. Too bad about this situation.

Draskyll should just take the job. I like his casting, and kinda sad that he's not taken but he should do this and cast the games the best he can and prove Valve wrong D:

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
What exactly is meant by "main stage" games? How could there be more than one stage within a basketball arena?

Aesthet1c

What exactly is meant by "main stage" games? How could there be more than one stage within a basketball arena?

The group stage matches typically aren't played on a stage. They are done in back rooms before the main event.

Also, Draskyl is acting dumb and should take what he can get. I like his casting, but if I were Valve I wouldn't invite him back after this.

The group stage matches typically aren't played on a stage. They are done in back rooms before the main event.

Also, Draskyl is acting dumb and should take what he can get. I like his casting, but if I were Valve I wouldn't invite him back after this.

Invite him only to do qualifiers 😂

Zeth

Damn it Draskyl, you done fucked up. You ain't getting any younger breh.

He should have taken any offer with honor - there is no way that was a good idea.

Dares

I just don't see how Draskyl declining will get him on the main stage next year. I understand trying to stand up for what you believe in or whatever, but how can you pass on this event?

People get in their own way sometimes.

Quesa

Draskyl's just taking a cue from Thacker guys. And good he was a dick anyway.

And I feel like the only one not totally down with Suns/Synder in this thread.

Falk

that puzzling face
EA not understanding what makes Dota 2 popular at all.

Has -anyone- ever actually understood what makes Dota popular?

People seem to keep wanting to 'fix' 'problems' with the meta which make Dota what it is. Everything from denying* to carries being carries. ("Oh everything is split equally because everyone is a unique snowflake that deserves to be rewarded blah blah blah")

Dota is what it is because it's the evolution of years of fine tuning and iterative community feedback, something that just doesn't translate to throwaway retail games that last one or two years at most before dying down. If something is in the game, it's because it evolved that way and resonated with the community- it's not a 'problem' to fix. You could argue little nuances like orbs not stacking, and other engine oddities do objectively fall into this category but the game simply evolved around them anyway.

I don't understand why this is so hard for devs to grasp, and instead they make a 'more accessible' game while wondering why they aren't wooing any of Dota's playerbase over.

League is pretty succesful

edit: This rant semi-prompted by the 'can a MOBA exist on console' thread over on Gaming, and literally everyone in the thread missing the point. Skill cap does not equal depth and nuance (And balance; say what you want about OP heroes)

kvk1

It is a bummer that the commentating lineup is "hype" heavy.

In my opinion Merlini and SyndereN are the only ones on that list who can provide top tier analytic commentary.

I don't understand why this is so hard for devs to grasp, and instead they make a 'more accessible' game while wondering why they aren't wooing any of Dota's playerbase over.
Because they're not trying to woo Dota's audience, they're trying to woo League's audience.

Falk

that puzzling face
My point stands- as much as League is more approachable, the difference between League and, say, LotR MOBA, or Smite or what's been discussed about the KoF MOBA
or HotS
is almost a genre apart.

Acinixys

You could argue little nuances like orbs not stacking, and other engine oddities do objectively fall into this category but the game simply evolved around them anyway.

This is a balance issue rather than a "we couldnt do it in WC3 so we want to keep parity"

I can only imagine disgusting DPS a Diffusal/Skadi/Deso Anti Mage could throw out

Falk

that puzzling face
This is a balance issue rather than a "we couldnt do it in WC3 so we want to keep parity"

I can only imagine disgusting DPS a Diffusal/Skadi/Deso Anti Mage could throw out

The items and/or heroes would not have turned out the way they are over the course of years had orbs stacked in WC3. And at this point it's not so much maintaining parity as much as it is not changing a formula that works.

Like I said, the game evolved around those mechanics.

Which, again, goes back to my original point that Dota is something that takes years to cultivate. It's wildly different from the traditional development model of "oh let's hire 200 people, crunch this game out then fire everyone except a small DLC team". This is why Guardians of Middle Earth for example is such a terrible embarrassment. It reeks of "let's go where the money is" without a basic understanding of the target market rather than making a game for the sake of making a game.

Einbroch

Banned
What a fucking baby. You can show them you're worthy of casting the main stage by doing a good job this year.

Now he's never getting invited again. Moron.

BHK3

Banned

except that we saw orbs dont really matter when dota 2 came out and skadi stacked with lifesteal and range heros and all that jazz.Then the huskar and ursa change came along and it didn't effect them at all. The only issue with AM is Satanic, I don't think he's gonna care about some minus armour, and you can simply have "Multiple sources of mana burn do not stack" for diffusal.

Milabrega

Tobi has gotten invited back after he pulled that salt laced move during the group stages that one year. Draskyl should have foreseen the reaction to this decision from the Tobi incident and yet he's still going through with it, just sad. Dude makes a living from his role in satellite entertainment based around the game of Dota 2 and he's going to skip out on its biggest event because he isn't going to be featured in a big enough role for his ego? Fuck him, plenty of up and comers Valve can fit in nicely and the community can learn to enjoy from the exposure they get at the TI stage.

Razzer

i really need to work on counter picking. I keep feeling in the mood for a hero then ending up in the worst laning phase.
Never counter pick unless it's captains mode man. Fuck counter pickers. Just pick what you wanna have fun with and make it work. Try to keep team comp in mind obviously. I really don't get the mindset behind counter picking.

heh, TF2 is now the only Valve game that never had a stolen content incident

CS:GO had their own Timebreaker problem, but it seems kind of worse considering the item in question was ultra-rare to start

Falk

that puzzling face
Never counter pick unless it's captains mode man. Fuck counter pickers. Just pick what you wanna have fun with and make it work. Try to keep team comp in mind obviously. I really don't get the mindset behind counter picking.

If enemy has CK naga PL I am picking Earthshaker; I don't care if you think it's counterpicking or not, I call it 'setting up for hilarious dunks'.

JudgeN

What a fucking baby. You can show them you're worthy of casting the main stage by doing a good job this year.

Now he's never getting invited again. Moron.

Problem with this is Draskyl has already proven he is worthy by casting at TI before, he shouldn't have to reprove he is worthy. I honestly figured he was going to cast by default as he one of their best. I can see both sides though he probably should have just came out because it was free but it does hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom