• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT5| TECHIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ketch

He should have drank more milk.

Why is ranked full of the worst people ever? I mean I play regular match making, and sometimes it goes well sometimes it doesn't... but ranked is really just full of the worst players.

I'm off lanning windranger, get a couple last hits, then look up and see were down 6-1 like 3 minutes in. I don't even know how it's possible to die that many times in 3 minutes. I really don't want to become an insta mid picker... but it might be the only way.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
guys guys draskyl is going to come out tomorrow and say one of two things:

1) I thought valve's email was a scam from a Nigerian prince because it was too good to be true, paying for my flight, hotel, and vacation to the biggest dota 2 event of the year, AND then paying me to talk about dota (which is all I know LAMO), sorry.

2) My blog was hacked by Tobi, sorry Gabe.

Sibylus

Banned
While I don't really grok Dad's reasoning, declining now and not in the middle of the event is the professional out to it. That said, I don't follow because there will be no bigger stage for you to market your talents anywhere else in the year, I'm not sure what summer sideproject could possibly compensate missing out on that. Doubt Valve feels snubbed, Tobi skated by on a lot worse and came back.

Wok

blink, armlet, AC and then pretty much anything else.

I have checked on dotabuff and these are the items chosen by the best LC players.

http://dotabuff.com/players/9174125...r&lobby_type=&game_mode=&region=&duration=20-

http://dotabuff.com/players/7140182...r&lobby_type=&game_mode=&region=&duration=20-

As mentioned before, this looks like a good guide:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=224965073

About Desolator:
The most aggressive offensive choice. If you're already winning duels, picking this up means you'll win future duels even harder. Just remember to blink past the enemy, get a hit in, and then Duel, or you'll miss out on the minus armor.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't agree with face boots but I'm clearly not as good as that first dude so what do I know?

Wok

I don't agree with face boots but I'm clearly not as good as that first dude so what do I know?

Both go Blink and Armlet. One of them prefers Phase, the other Treads and later on, Travel Boots. Assault Cuirass looks like the best choice, but the other guy seems to prefer Mjollnir + Desolator. BKB and Blademail (apparently good against Alchemist and Slark) are situational.

draskyl's the best caster after sunsfan, synderen, merlini and ld. he definitely deserved to be on the main stage, moreso than some shitter like capitalist or ayesee. tobi has been awful post ti2 too

this is pretty stupid, like valve revoking that peruvian's team invite for the american qualifiers. they won't go back this time though since people aren't making a big deal out of it. oh well, time to get a real job draskyl

draskyl's the best caster after sunsfan, synderen, merlini and ld. he definitely deserved to be on the main stage, moreso than some shitter like capitalist or ayesee. tobi has been awful post ti2 too.

Nobody deserves a spot on the main stage. What is this, ballet? "Oh I wasn't allowed to dance the solo again, i go into this corner and wallow in pity!!1". How about acting professional.

ViviOggi

Strife tried the same thing and that game might as well not exist this point lol, though tbf ~lore~ isn't a major factor when the game is bland as hell top to bottom.

Dawngate is actually a solid game, and EA's involvement has been hands-off thus far, so it might be more Waystone's decision rather than EA. The game is better than you'd expect when you hear "EA Moba" imo. Waystone seem like good people

And just like that I find an invite in my mailbox after like half a year since signing up.

And yeah Dawngate is pretty decent. Can't bear the shitty grind though.

Nobody deserves a spot on the main stage. What is this, ballet? "Oh I wasn't allowed to dance the solo again, i go into this corner and wallow in pity!!1". How about acting professional.

bullshit. people would riot if a team like dk or alliance wasn't invited for ti4. you can argue draskyl doesn't deserve to be there cause he's too negative or hasn't casted enough tournaments or whatever, but there are definitely people who deserve to be at this event

KingKong

bullshit. people would riot if a team like dk or alliance wasn't invited for ti4. you can argue draskyl doesn't deserve to be there cause he's too negative or hasn't casted enough tournaments or whatever, but there are definitely people who deserve to be at this event

And he got his invite to the event, just not the main stage

And he got his invite to the event, just not the main stage

Yep. Sorry, I have 0 sympathy for Draskyl. This wreaks of pride. I don't think there's a scenario where I'd skip TI4 if I were an invited caster. But hey, if he has something better to do, I hope he enjoys doing whatever that is.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
It's done to even out the drops and create supply and demand

I don't really see any effect. Aside from old immortals and stuff the entire market is bottomed out.

Also nothing ever goes back into the drop pool, they just take stuff out until the pool is stupid small.

The problem arises when they remove more items from the system than they add, which has been the case for the last few months. We'll have such a tiny pool you'll be getting more duplicates, worth less, unless they start adding more items to the store faster, pull from the tournament item pool, or add old items back.

This game can be very frustrating when you lose and it isn't your fault. Lich, Anti-Mage, Riki, Luna, Death Prophet. 3 carrys, whatever that has worked in pub games. I am Lich. Luna decides to die 8 times within the first 20 minutes of the game. Enemy carry gets super fed. Everyone on the team splits up to farm in their own lane/jungle. Enemy gains true sight. Enemy destroys any wards I place. Enemy has wards, ganks everyone on my team that splits up.

Game lasted an hour somehow. Pretty unfun.

Quesa

Well my first batrider game went terribly. I fed two kills to the top lane as a half-solo (lifestealer went up with me even after I told him i'd prefer solo then left for jungle after he died), and sven/tiny snowballed hard.

Second game went much better after I learned more about how to spam is q more effectively and wasn't in an instadeath lane (mid vs slark). I've seen a lot of pros play bat as an offlane, but that seems way harder to do well than in a 1v1 like you usually get in mid (dual lane mid's recent popularity notwithstanding). I even got a nice flamebreak into lasso combo!

Hylian7

God fucking dammit, I just lost a game because I clicked my Blink too far....

Why does that Blink punishment clicking thing exist again?

What is a good hero to learn mid with? Storm Spirit, Tinker, Invoker and Templar Assassin are a little too hard for me, and Pudge looks disgusting, so those are out.

I'd prefer someone who still can get last hits under pressure. Also, if I'm going to be a core, I'd like a durable hero as those are the carries I like to play. Maybe Viper, or Magnus or Dragon Knight? The last two rely on skill to get last hits, which seems difficult.

EDIT: wrote a little more

shira

God fucking dammit, I just lost a game because I clicked my Blink too far....

Why does that Blink punishment clicking thing exist again?

Don't you have a units ruler handy?

flat320.jpg

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
What is a good hero to learn mid with? Storm spirit and Templar Assassin are a little too hard for me, and Pudge looks disgusting, so those three are out.

In terms of difficulty, for me personally (from high to low), I'd say Invoker > Shadowfiend > Storm > Puck > QoP > TA.

If you don't want to play a difficult mid, start with TA or QoP. TA really isn't that difficult, just last pick her and faceroll. But this all depends on what you mean by "learn mid." If you want to be a good "mid player", you gotta try to master one of the more difficult mids; it will do wonders for your overall game sense/positioning/reflexes and it will make you a much better dota player overall. Picking something like DP or DK and just trading farm isn't going to have the same effect.

If your goal is just to have a relatively easy time when you're forced to go mid--then yeah, DK, DP, Viper are all fairly simple and flexible when it comes to matchups.

inkls

What is a good hero to learn mid with? Storm spirit,Tinker and Templar Assassin are a little too hard for me, and Pudge looks disgusting, so those are out. I'd prefer someone who still can get last hits under pressure. Also, if I'm going to be a core, I'd like someone durable as those are the carries I like to play.

Death Prophet is a fun hero mid. She gets very tanky as the game goes on and you can last hit with your crypt swarm and she has a nasty ult (in a good way for you, bad for the enemy team). She's not very mechanically complex too.

In terms of difficulty, for me personally (from high to low), I'd say Invoker > Shadowfiend > Storm > Puck > QoP > TA.

If you don't want to play a difficult mid, start with TA or QoP. TA really isn't that difficult, just last pick her and faceroll. But this all depends on what you mean by "learn mid." If you want to play mid effectively, you gotta try to master one of the more difficult mids, it will do wonders for your overall game sense/positioning/reflexes and it will make you a much better dota player overall.

I'm mostly looking for a 'my first mid' character, I'm kinda new and so far I've mostly been playing supports and safelane carries. I want to learn the general 'flow' of the mid position (rune control, bottle crowing, etc.), and I need a hero that can let me function even when under pressure/when fucking up.

Death Prophet is a fun hero mid. She gets very tanky as the game goes on and you can last hit with your crypt swarm and she has a nasty ult (in a good way for you, bad for the enemy team). She's not very mechanically complex too.

I played a little Death Prophet so far, so that should work. QoP sounds like a decent option as well.

Thanks both!

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I'm mostly looking for a 'my first mid' character, I'm kinda new and so far I've mostly been playing supports and safelane carries. I want to learn the general 'flow' of the mid position (rune control, bottle crowing, etc.), and I need a hero that can let me function even when under pressure/when fucking up.

Viper, DK, and DP are all fine then. When you want a bit more of a challenge move up to QoP or TA, both are more mechanically complex but they still have "o shit i fucked up buttons" (blink for QoP, refraction/meld on TA). If you want even more of a challenge after that, try Storm, Invoker, or SF.

xanavi

Here are some people haven't recommended yet.

Strength: Kunkka
Agility: Mirana
Intelligence: Zeus

All three fit your criteria.

Ketch

I played a little Death Prophet so far, so that should work. QoP sounds like a decent option as well.

Thanks both!

Viper or Sniper and you'll wreck 90% of the people you match up against.

Kard8p3

Here are some people haven't recommended yet.

Strength: Kunkka
Agility: Mirana
Intelligence: Zeus

All three fit your criteria.

Kunkka legit eziest bottle crow in game, max X first and always carry TP. Low bottle? Cast x on urself and TP to fountain, it lasts 8 secs on allies at max.

Carlius

Banned
I really dont get why people go scepter first on heroes like zeus. veil is so much better early game. scepter first on lich is dumb too, wastes so much money and so much time. after veil is can see them as good items, but not before. not before man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom