• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT5| TECHIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

traveler

Not Wario
Draskyl is better than nearly all of the other casters, Merlini being the one notable exception I can think of. It doesn't sound like a proving ground so much as him getting shafted for the more popular, but less capable casters. Not sure why Valve wouldn't want to give him a bigger role, but I agree that his reaction is a bit severe and causes unwelcome comparisons to the Tobi incident from a few years ago. I'm more inclined to sympathize with Draskyl because at least he's doing this pre-event rather than during the middle of it and he is a considerably better caster than Tobi, but it's still an immature move. Neither side looks good here.

http://dotabuff.com/matches/715551403

Well guys I finally played again. Apparently my last played game was in January. Where did the time go?! I did terrible, but no surprise there. Since I've been playing all WASD games Dota 2's controls took a lot of getting used to again.

The worst part about coming back to TF2 and Dota 2 after a long hiatus is that I have all these custom key binds that I forget about.

If a guy like Tobi gets to cast on the main stage despite his history I'd be pissed too. I feel really bad for Draskyl. He's probably the best caster of his type out there (Merlini's comparable but I think Draskyl works much better with his partners no matter who they are) and has done a stand-up job at every TI he's been to.

JustinBB7

Draskyl declined because not being able to cast main stage? I only read his own comments and he said something about not getting enough experience before TI started or something.

Either way it still sucks.

Shengar

http://dotabuff.com/matches/715551403

Well guys I finally played again. Apparently my last played game was in January. Where did the time go?! I did terrible, but no surprise there. Since I've been playing all WASD games Dota 2's controls took a lot of getting used to again.

The worst part about coming back to TF2 and Dota 2 after a long hiatus is that I have all these custom key binds that I forget about.

You last game was in January, mine was.....December 2012 lol

BeesEight

Tobi has gotten invited back after he pulled that salt laced move during the group stages that one year. Draskyl should have foreseen the reaction to this decision from the Tobi incident and yet he's still going through with it, just sad. Dude makes a living from his role in satellite entertainment based around the game of Dota 2 and he's going to skip out on its biggest event because he isn't going to be featured in a big enough role for his ego? Fuck him, plenty of up and comers Valve can fit in nicely and the community can learn to enjoy from the exposure they get at the TI stage.

I don't know, I think there's a big difference between this and Tobi. Tobi accepted the responsibility of casting at the TI then shirked that responsibility because Valve didn't slot him in for the games he wanted to cast. This left his match without a caster.

Draskyl, on the other hand, declined the invitation which is fine and will give Valve plenty of time to find alternatives to fill that slot. Tobi's still an ass but I don't know if there's any point in getting mad at someone for declining an agreement they don't like.

We can certainly consider that decision foolish but none of us are really in the position of this impacting our careers either. Personally, I would think it would still be a good idea to show up since you don't know what could happen - say a main event caster not being able to make it for whatever reason like what happened with Godz which launched Merlini's casting career. On the other hand, maybe Valve said he would be stuck casting only with Blaze the entire time. Is anything worth that?

Raytow

I don't know, I think there's a big difference between this and Tobi. Tobi accepted the responsibility of casting at the TI then shirked that responsibility because Valve didn't slot him in for the games he wanted to cast. This left his match without a caster.
Holy shit that is way worse than what Draskyl is doing and the douchebag still gets an invite, why!?

Maybe this will force Dadskyl to step up his game. All he does is try to prove why he is right if anyone disagrees with what he said. Or complains about the level of play.

Also, he needs to cast more stuff. Though that is more of a gd studio problem.

Holy shit that is way worse than what Draskyl is doing and the douchebag still gets an invite, why!?

Tobi also screwed over Epi at TI. Tobi has a lot of faults outside of Dota casting. He's a good hype person but that's about it.

Welp, makes Ayesee being up there even more sour.

I'd really like a caster to know the game, not simply describe (incorrectly 1/3 of the time) what he sees on the screen while sounding like he's trying to sell you insurance.

There's plenty of room for both color commentator and analysis guy. Modern sports have been casting with that combination for decades. John Madden didn't do Monday Night Football for his expert analysis, after all. He was there for the color. Same with Ayesee. To that end, I agree he should always have an analysis guy with him to provide the context to what's going on and why that he can't.

52club

I'd be courious what the pay differerence between the main stage casters and the others are. For those of you saying it is like a free/trip vacation I assume you don't value your own time. On a related note, if you don't value your time future employers may not either.

KingKong

I'd be courious what the pay differerence between the main stage casters and the others are. For those of you saying it is like a free/trip vacation I assume you don't value your own time. On a related note, if you don't value your time future employers may not either.

Isn't his job being a 'caster' though? If he has other things going on, fair enough, but I assumed he was involved in the scene and not like, say, Lumi, so why wouldn't he go to the biggest esport event ever

Also it's stupid to think that Valve owes you anything when you've spent less time and effort casting than others, just getting invited for the group stages seems fair to me

He gets paid off of streaming ads playing video games all day and occasionally actually does casting.

Yes I'm sure if he wasn't at ti, he'd actually be curing cancer.

Einbroch

Banned

It's The International.

There is nowhere higher to go in this scene.

Aesthet1c

This is such a weird post. Just because people say its a free vacation that means they don't value their own time?

His career is a dota commentator. What else is he going to do during that weekend that's more important than the largest video game tournament ever.

He's doing it strictly to make a point that he's above group stage commentating, not because he has something more valuable to do.

Acinixys

Has -anyone- ever actually understood what makes Dota popular?

Ive been thinking a lot about this and I think its the way Dota came about.

Like most real sports (Soccer/Cricket/Rugby - not basketball/baseball which were only created by Americans cause they shit at real sports) it was more of a slow progression of ideas that were tweaked and moulded to make sure that the good was kept/improved and the bad stuff was stripped out.

It that makes sense :/

inkls

Like most real sports (Soccer/Cricket/Rugby - not basketball/baseball which were only created by Americans cause they shit at real sports) it was more of a slow progression of ideas that were tweaked and moulded to make sure that the good was kept/improved and the bad stuff was stripped out.

ಠ_ಠ

"created by Canadian Dr. James Naismith"

KingKong

A moba is basically an RPG or MMO distilled into ~45 minutes. You pick a character, grind, level up, get items, and then fight each other, and there's enough variety in this that people don't get bored of it

e: Think about how every other game, from FPS to racing, has these rpg mechanics in it now. All those facebook grind games are insanely popular and addictive for a reason

Falk

that puzzling face
There's plenty of room for both color commentator and analysis guy. Modern sports have been casting with that combination for decades. John Madden didn't do Monday Night Football for his expert analysis, after all. He was there for the color. Same with Ayesee. To that end, I agree he should always have an analysis guy with him to provide the context to what's going on and why that he can't.

If I watched sports I'd probably bitch about color commentators for said sport as well. Fair is fair.

Also Ayesee has a longstanding habit of talking over his partner. It'd be half-fine if the pairings actually functioned as they're supposed to.

Also I really really don't want insurance.

shira

rabbit-hood-king-bugs-o.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjwaqZfjIY

But yes, I love DOTA because there are so many similarities and parallels to actual team sports like basketball.

SamVimes

Little nitipick, color commentator = analysis guy.

Draskyl is a better analyst than everyone not named Synderen and he's about on par with Merlini.

He deserves better treatment than just casting group games. In addition SunTzu implied on reddit that the casters don't get paid, by context (and logic) i assume he was just talking about the group stage casters.

You mean play by play and color commentator. Ayesee should just stick to play by play and leave the color commentating/analysis to whoever his co-caster should be.

inkls

You max your stun and poison so you kill anyone who tries to stop you farming, then you farm up like 2 to 4 large items in no time and win the game fast since Alch has somewhat crummy scaling.

Is mjolnir > AC > abyssal > other damage item decent?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Is mjolnir > AC > abyssal > other damage item decent?

Yeah, keep the Heavens Halberd in mind too, its a great cheaper pickup, gives Alch like 45 Damage, evasion, and the Disarm Active. You may want to go Mailstorm > AC > Mjolnir, to get some Armor up faster. Alchiemist has no natural armor, so you likely want to grab a platemail first when getting an AC.

spk

Guys, watch out for Dawngate. Seems like it's going to have a sick story.

http://www.polygon.com/e3-2014/2014/6/12/5802418/dawngate-mass-effect-2-ea-chris-letoile

EA not understanding what makes Dota 2 popular at all.

Strife tried the same thing and that game might as well not exist this point lol, though tbf ~lore~ isn't a major factor when the game is bland as hell top to bottom.

Dawngate is actually a solid game, and EA's involvement has been hands-off thus far, so it might be more Waystone's decision rather than EA. The game is better than you'd expect when you hear "EA Moba" imo. Waystone seem like good people

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I wonder if we'll get that favorite hero challenge and those new player sets tonight.

Yesterday's patch seemed half baked. Like it was missing a lot.

Doubt there's any patch tonight. Patch tomorrow at least for offerings. Whether there's any real content is another question.

Wok

I have just learnt what "disable help" meant.

0OLGDOc.jpg

If you have a Chen, an OD, a Wisp, etc. (but not a Tiny for balance reasons), who keeps abusing his spells, you can disable his "help". It is a way to alleviate the pain. Of course, you can report him as well.

It might even work with your items on the courier. No more items hidden in the trees, etc. It might come in handy.

I initially thought this was used to disable people spamming pings.

Baha

I have just learnt what "disable help" meant.

0OLGDOc.jpg

If you have a Chen, an OD, a Wisp, etc. (but not a Tiny for balance reasons), who keeps abusing his spells, you can disable his "help". It is a way to alleviate the pain. Of course, you can report him as well.

It might even work with your items on the courier. No more items hidden in the trees, etc. It might come in handy.

I initially thought this was used to disable people spamming pings.

You learn about this early on if you play bot games enough, people like to buy forcestaffs and use them on people fountain camping bots.

Low Tier
Honestly Draskyls a gigantic idiot with an enormous ego. Never cared for his casting, and his condescending attitude based on the fact that he was an unimpressive pro player in hon is disgusting as well. He's not that good and hes a man-child. Let him reflect on his mistakes as he sits in his bedroom watching ti4 on a laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom