• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT5| TECHIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

K.Sabot

I'm sure you're convinced Valve is watching this thread and taking note, and you're not just trying to satisfy your own ego because someone disagrees with me on the internet.

By that logic, everything ever discussed outside of the relevant party's eyesight / earshot is pointless.

Probably shouldn't discuss politics on this board anymore because relevant people in power aren't engaging in it with us.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
By that logic, everything ever discussed outside of the relevant party's eyesight / earshot is pointless.

Welcome to the interwebs, where you're a drop in the ocean and your opinions don't matter.

I think people would care more if this happened in a game that wasn't just about deciding which team gets a chance to compete with other teams for a chance to be the first team eliminated from the TI4 bracket. Collusion in a grand finals is different than playing awful in one game in the qualifier for the qualifier for a tournament.

K.Sabot

I think people would care more if this happened in a game that wasn't just about deciding which team gets a chance to compete with other teams for a chance to be the first team eliminated from the TI4 bracket. Collusion in a grand finals is different than playing awful in one game in the qualifier for the qualifier for a tournament.

It's a difference of severity, but it's still the same issue.

shira

Howcome when dudes stream Dota they either have no webcam or a very small one just covering the hero portrait, but when most chicks stream they have their face/body cover 90% of the screen?

Yes, why would it not be. If i go to Twitch its to watch games not boobs

I'm surpised she doesn't have a dedicated ass cam, tip jar, and biggest D of the month

Trasher

I'll take it one step further then. This back-and-forth will lead to nowhere and does nothing. Neither party will ever convince the other. It's like trench warfare at its most stagnant during the Great War. All it accomplishes is a shittier experience for everyone involved.

I'm calling this topic borderline threadshitting.

And you're adding to it. Congrats!

How about you stop being a white knight pseudo mod and leave it be then? Comparing it to a war where millions of people died is quite the stretch and borderline disrespectful/inappropriate. I don't get your holier than thou "I'm above everyone else" attitude. All of this is completely on topic actually, and you have no authority on telling people what they can and cannot do as long as they are staying on topic. So if you have nothing else to add, then just stay out of it how about?

Renoir

Howcome when dudes stream Dota they either have no webcam or a very small one just covering the hero portrait, but when most chicks stream they have their face/body cover 90% of the screen?

bcuz gamer girls+tits = teh clicks = $

lol i watch her, as well as that girl that look like noel easton..
so i guess that strategy does work

Shinypogs

I guess I'm just disappointed in them, I expect better you know.

I've never forgiven Stephano in sc2 for the shit he pulled with Bratok with both players trying to lose a series at assembly to avoid having to face Sen the next round who neither thought they could beat if they won. Yes it was dumb of the tournament to have it set up so players knew who they faced if they won or lost but that series were some of the worst games and the fact that both players admitted they knew what they were doing was a disgrace.

This isn't quite the same thing but it irks me when people don't play to their best. They could have been plenty silly while still going for the throat full on. As ahead as they were they coulda spelled shit in wards, played tictactoe on the map etc etc. I want Liquid to care about every game because while they aren't my favorites I care about watching them.

On another note I am pleased to see all the Witch doctor and disruptor ^-^
They make for really fun games. Also loving the recent uptick in Dark Seer all over the place. Most of my favorite heroes are getting lots of play time lately and god willing I will learn something from all this observing.

Trasher

Ummm, pretty sure I already own this item from like over a year ago lol.

revenge_weapon_large.8de0a453cd41be24bd7fa1f528182459f6c0d813.png

I guess I'm just disappointed in them, I expect better you know.

I've never forgiven Stephano in sc2 for the shit he pulled with Bratok with both players trying to lose a series at assembly to avoid having to face Sen the next round who neither thought they could beat if they won. Yes it was dumb of the tournament to have it set up so players knew who they faced if they won or lost but that series were some of the worst games and the fact that both players admitted they knew what they were doing was a disgrace.

This isn't quite the same thing but it irks me when people don't play to their best. They could have been plenty silly while still going for the throat full on. As ahead as they were they coulda spelled shit in wards, played tictactoe on the map etc etc. I want Liquid to care about every game because while they aren't my favorites I care about watching them.

Didn't Naniwa legit walk out on a series not too long ago?

sixghost

All I'm saying is it's a major dick move.

You give your best, if you don't it's disrespectful for the opposing team, your viewers and fans, and in this case all the other teams playing in the same qualifier.

I'm not saying it's against the rules, or the fault of the set up. Just that it was shitty.

well yeah this is pretty true
Tournaments should be designed in such a way that there is always something to play for. A better tournament setup would have been a round robin where 3rd plays 4th, winner plays 2nd, winner plays 1st in the grand finals.

It's a difference of severity, but it's still the same issue.

It's not the same thing as colluding with the opponent in an important match (MLG LoL ARAM scandal, FGC pot splits) or purposely playing a completely awful game just to make a statement (Naniwa vs Nestea, various Idra ragequits), because Liquid were in a situation where it was in their best interests to both lose and not draft anything they might use later, and they just ended up throwing the game way harder than they should have. The question of whether or not a competitor has to play their best even if it's working against their own interests is a different issue, and it's harder to enforce and it's a bit of a gray area for a lot of people.

Tournaments should be designed in such a way that there is always something to play for. A better tournament setup would have been a round robin where 3rd plays 4th, winner plays 2nd, winner plays 1st in the grand finals.

This was just to find out who would even get to be in the top four though. You can't completely avoid a tie with each team playing each other once without imposing a time or score rule which would change the way the games were played in the first place. What you're suggesting is more or less happening tomorrow: http://wiki.teamliquid.net/dota2/The_International/2014/Americas_Qualifiers#Stage_Two (double elimination for 2nd place, but pretty close)

Also eHug's super classy response to the whole thing: http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/25iow0/team_ehug_ti4_na_qualifier_postmortem/

shira

where are you guys seeing the models for the immortal items?
The lion fish stck is the only one we know of
http://cdn.dota2.com/apps/dota2/images/international2014/compendium/bg_06.jpg

They should have just bowed out of the tournament after the forfeit. What a waste of time and investment of money.
Ok I get IRL stuff comes first, but why would they bother to keep playing. This IRL stuff was obviously more important.

They should have just bowed out of the tournament after the forfeit. What a waste of time and investment of money.
Ok I get IRL stuff comes first, but why would they bother to keep playing. This IRL stuff was obviously more important.

One game loss doesn't automatically put them out. Especially with those teams. It ultimately mattered, but giving up after not making 1 game out of 10 is not the right call.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I wonder if all these perfect world items will be a tie in to the Chinese qualifiers, or if the timing is just coincidental.

Maybe we can get those nice e-club wards during the sea qualy. Hey, that's an idea for valve, sell some real cosmetics that will also raise the prize pool.

Also, both zepher and mvp submitted pennants yesterday, maybe nexon pulled a few strings to get them in (or the teams are simply optimistic)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
One game loss doesn't automatically put them out. Especially with those teams. It ultimately mattered, but giving up after not making 1 game out of 10 is not the right call.

The managers/higherups would've probably been against it as well.

Shinypogs

Ummm, pretty sure I already own this item from like over a year ago lol.

revenge_weapon_large.8de0a453cd41be24bd7fa1f528182459f6c0d813.png

Didn't Naniwa legit walk out on a series not too long ago?

sc2 has lots of dramas
Naniwa probe rushed nestea in a game that technically didn't matter since both of them were out of the running anyways but it was still a prestigious tournament and a lot of players would have given a great deal to be there and played every game seriously regardless. There was lots of outcry over that on both sides of the argument.

Also there was a point in that tournament where I think DRG faced Mc and if DRG won Stephano was through but if MC won he was through. The game was wonky and there was brief talk of DRG throwing to ensure a fellow korean got through.

Naniwa did just forfeit a recent tournament after his proxy failed in the first game. No one was happy about that because if he really didn't want to be at that tournament he needed to put his foot down earlier. He'd bailed on a lot of tournaments in the past because he wasn't in the mood or wanted to practice instead.

Not the first time it's sorta happened though, he once left an IEM having "quit" his group because of pc lag costing his a game or something. He got rounded up by Rotterdam I think , went back, played the games and won his group because he's Naniwa and he throws fits a lot but he's talented.

Watching his recent fall from grace hurt a lot because I always maintained that behind his stubborn attitude and tendency to create drama was someone who genuinely cared about the game. When he tried he really tried and when he pulled off crazy clutch wins you saw what it meant to him.

* Has too many feels*

Liquid also the whole Ret trying to fuck Naniwa over at dreamhack l a while back by trying to lose because he himself couldn't win but he thought if his opponent did it would put him over Nani. ( Turns out that was wrong, Nani was through regardless and liquid came down kinda heavy on Ret for it)

I dunno I just have a lot of weird feelings about Esports and what it means for me. Things like Boxer staying late at MLG to practice after having a horrible start to the tournament only to go on an epic run the next day and return his fan's faith in him really meant something.

To me goofing off has always just been an elaborate way of killing an opponent who is already dead. Nukes from terrans, Mass dagons etc. Something the fans can enjoy but something that ends an already won game in a quick but flashy way.

It just gets confusing you know. You have teams that will stay paused as long as possible for other teams if something goes wrong or who will not attack someone who dc/d.( I think that was a fnatic game recently where someone gave up a sure kill because the enemy player's pc went nuts but they hadn't properly dc'd yet) but then this happens.

I just wish there was a clearer line of when is it okay to take advantage of a morally ambiguous situation and when is it not. Or is that all just up to individual teams?

I can understand why Liquid made the choice they did it doesn't make it feel any better.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
On a scale of Wieliczka to Hallstatt, how sad are they?

Seriously though, maybe there's a reason people would rather tune in to a cam of cats than listen to some of the casters in these games. BTS has some awful duos covering some of their matches.

He's casting the EU games, think he's annoyed that have all this talent and most of them just want to sit around on the couch.

I don't think he should be upset at the EU Hub guys tbh. If anything he should be upset that more people are interested in watching a reality TV style show as opposed to a show that provides legit coverage of the NA qualifiers. EU Hub are just providing a different style of coverage, which is a good thing imo. In the end it's up to the viewers to decide what type of coverage they value more.

Nymerio

I don't get why he's upset, it's the NA hubs job to provide coverage for the NA qualifiers, isn't it? I'm sure the EU Hub will do proper casting for the european qualifiers.

Also: new Music stretch goal inc!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Were you going for the Mael award on that venomancer game and accidentally got a kill?
No
No
Bwhahaha, I decided to look at the work shop, and I noticed something. Perfect World and Coca Cola are going to do a cross promotion with Dota 2 Items. Take that League, we get real coke while you are stuck being sponsored by Coke Zero.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=258017356

Jokes on us most likely, I bet you have to buy Coke in China and enter codes or some nonsince to get these and they will be super rare
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Bwhahaha, I decided to look at the work shop, and I noticed something. Perfect World and Coca Cola are going to do a cross promotion with Dota 2 Items. Take that League, we get real coke while you are stuck being sponsored by Coke Zero.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=258017356

Jokes on us most likely, I bet you have to buy Coke in China and enter codes or some nonsince to get these and they will be super rare

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=241726004

GIVE.

The managers/higherups would've probably been against it as well.

eHug doesn't have any 'higher-ups' to speak of. The team's composition is pretty much just the players and the founders/partners. No sponsors to answer to. Just a couple of dudes with money to burn.

What extra money is spent by staying in a online tournament for one additional day...? You'd throw the chance to get into the International over one match out of ten?

Lotto

What's the point of voting for the next Arcana if I don't have a chance to acquire one since I'm not willing to spend 30$ on a single set item? :(

You get to see a new Arcana! That's exciting in and of itself. I'll probably never buy an Arcana no matter how good it is, $35 is crazy steep for me. I just like seeing what Valve comes up with for these things.

Anuxinamoon

Shaper Divine

It is something that is quite interesting. But you know what, if it works for them, and they get viewers and they enjoy it, then that's all that matters. I tune into AsiaAmores stream every so often and see how's she's doing.
I watch dota to try to find ways to improve my game, so I tend to stick to streamers that I can pick up advanced tips from. Artour, dendi, waga, merlili for example.
But some watch for entertainment, kittehs or pretty ladies.

Indignate

8/10 heroes so far. Enigma and PL were fun to finally use.

That's the good thing about these lower level pubs; everybody playing sucks so I can use just about anybody and do decently.

M.D

http://dotabuff.com/matches/659186391

how the hell does mirana feed so much in lane against 2 melee heroes

why do people that play mirana never use their fucking ult to intiate

why is abaddon chasing an sf and a tiny on own his with literally 0 ways kill them or even do any damage

fucking mirana goes to farm mid at the tier 1 tower area after they killed rosh... i swear the dumbest people play this game.. no common sense.. nothing

IceMarker

http://dotabuff.com/matches/659186391

how the hell does mirana feed so much in lane against 2 melee heroes

why do people that play mirana never use their fucking ult to intiate

why is abaddon chasing an sf and a tiny on own his with literally 0 ways kill them or even do any damage

fucking mirana goes to farm mid at the tier 1 tower area after they killed rosh... i swear the dumbest people play this game.. no common sense.. nothing

#justdotathings

sigh

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I've just about had it with Dota. The string of games I encountered today have me pretty close to the breaking point. Nothing even pub related. Just the same group of chuckleheads I always play with but boy oh fucking boy have we found a new depth in the trench.

shira

It is something that is quite interesting. But you know what, if it works for them, and they get viewers and they enjoy it, then that's all that matters. I tune into AsiaAmores stream every so often and see how's she's doing.
I'm sad that Cyborgmatt won't make a tracker for her QoP cosplay at TI4.

---------$1500
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
--------- $568
=
=
=
=
=
---------------------

She only got $10 today : <

I've just about had it with Dota. The string of games I encountered today have me pretty close to the breaking point. Nothing even pub related. Just the same group of chuckleheads I always play with but boy oh fucking boy have we found a new depth in the trench.

Are they your friends IRL?
I realize dota can bring out the inner demons you will not usually see on your everyday friends (not talking about feeding but about raging and blaming).

Zeknurn

Every god damn game is over within 20 minutes and then you spend another 20-30 minutes for them to end it. It's such a waste of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom