• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT5| TECHIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zephyx

Got my loading screens:

Naga, Slark, Ogre Magi, Monument, Wisp, PL..

Is that a good set? I want a WR one if there's one.

I am terrible a STR carries. I have centaur in my 10 heroes compedium thing. I laned with a clinkz against a huskar and drow. Went 0-11 for the whole game the game ended 36-12.

Whats a good build and strat for him. He seems crazy high on the Dota Tier.

FACE

Banned
I am terrible a STR carries. I have centaur in my 10 heroes compedium thing. I laned with a clinkz against a huskar and drow. Went 0-11 for the whole game the game ended 36-12.

Tranquil boots -> Blink Dagger then you get out of your lane and kill people.

Pratfall

Valve gonna make 18 million ez off a battle point booster, some loading screens and some hats. And people wonder why free to play is getting so much attention.

Randdalf

Centaur isn't really best played as a STR carry, but rather as an initiator and fighting hero.

Quesa

Tranquil boots -> Blink Dagger then you get out of your lane and kill people.

If you have the lane to yourself you can be a little risky and leave your tranqs near your tower while you last hit, then pick them up again so you don't miss out on the regen you'll need to harass their safe lane with W.

Or just get someone to pick Tiny and you're all set.

Pratfall

Honestly, get a buddy to play Omni with you and just wreck fools. Omni repels you, you blink in, stomp, double edge (you take no damage b/c of repel), omni heals you, enough to kill pretty much anybody midgame. Think of centaur as a panic creator.

Kioshen

Yeah, that's correct. TD = Tower Damage as well

Thank you ! It was borderline self-explanatory but wanted to be sure.

----------

Come to think of it, I had a game where I was running a support dire safelane but we had a Doom jungler on our side. I was about to make my first stack on the medium camp for an eventual pull right when he came around and just killed everything. I was a little puzzled at how to handle that properly because our lane was getting pushed out pretty fast and couldn't rely on our jungle for shenanigans.

Other than harrassing the hell out of offlane, keeping vision up and maybe ganking mid is there anything I can do to help ?

Renoir

So.. I heard we got a guild.
this guild been elusive as fuk. PM me how to get in if you dont want lurkers to know. No info about it in the OP either...
Am I not good enough!??
LEt Me iN GAF

Please :>

PLD's rage is great, reminds me of myself.

So.. I heard we got a guild.
this guild been elusive as fuk. PM me how to get in if you dont want lurkers to know. No info about it in the OP either...
Am I not good enough!??
LEt Me iN GAF

Please :>

Git gud and try again next year.

Ask in the Neogaf channel to get into the guild and hope you're lucky enough that an Admin sees it.

Hylian7

Has anyone tried Shadow Blade Brew with the new Drunken Brawler? I'm curious to try it, I think it would do wonders to be able to whack, clap, then split.

The hell? I won the last game I needed for the compendium hero challenge. It didn't count for some reason and I don't have the +3 levels. Lame. It's the last hero and I won. volvo fix

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Some people believe that the matchmaking algorithm forces all player to have a 50% win rate.
In my smurf's case it's like forced 57. Every time I get close to 58, I get the worst games ever and drop back down to 56-57.

#forced57isreal

ink4n3

Some people believe that the matchmaking algorithm forces all player to have a 50% win rate.

Ignoring the fact that this is pretty much impossible to do, isn't that pretty much the point of matchmaking? If two teams of 5 are perfectly, evenly matched, won't one team win half of the time?

http://dotabuff.com/matches/654962917

jb1lCfOP5ygL5U.jpg

"YOUR PUNISHMENT MUST BE MORE SEVERE."

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
People think valve will intentionally match you with poor players in order to "enforce" the 50, implying that the game is creating matchups where your team has a sub 50 chance to win, in order to bring you down.

Which is obviously silly and paranoid.

shira

The hell? I won the last game I needed for the compendium hero challenge. It didn't count for some reason and I don't have the +3 levels. Lame. It's the last hero and I won. volvo fix
Compendium activations and exp levels/drops are bugged ATM

inkls

People think valve will intentionally match you with poor players in order to "enforce" the 50, implying that the game is creating matchups where your team has a sub 50 chance to win, in order to bring you down.

How else am I gonna justify my loss if I can't blame my team or Valve? Blame myself? I should be 6k mmr if it wasn't for valve and crappy teammates.

People think valve will intentionally match you with poor players in order to "enforce" the 50, implying that the game is creating matchups where your team has a sub 50 chance to win in order to bring you down.

It really is quite amazing.

1.) Poor team compositions. Groups make it very difficult for themselves by picking 2, 3 even 4 carries. Or by failing to pick a single disable on the team.

2.) Poor itemization. Games are often won or lost by poor item decisions. Like not having BKB's on key damage dealers against teams full of CC and nukes.

3.) People play whatever the fuck they want. Often irrespective of what the team needs or their own experiences. For example, someone may play poorly...but perhaps they haven't played in awhile...or perhaps they're playing a hero they haven't played in 6 months+. Or perhaps they simply got outplayed this one time. Shit happens. Even the best players in the world get rekt occasionally. That one bad game you have with someone is not indicative of their ability to play the game.

4.) People don't give a shit about the key basic items that win games. Meks, Urns, Sheep Sticks, BKB's, Pipes. Not glamorous enough, I suppose.

5.) Sometimes you just get picked or outplayed. Ooops your team built themselves around a bunch of skill-reliant heroes...and the other team suddenly picks Silencer, Riki and Bloodseeker. Ooops, you don't have any picks to deal with that Lycan Shaman push. The shit just happens sometimes and if your group isn't alert or flexible enough to change what they want to play in order to give themselves a good chance of winning, a loss is probably coming.

6.) Perhaps the carry on your team didn't have any space to farm, for whatever reason (poor support, no support, enemy pressure, etc.) and is never able to come online and make a difference while the enemy carry free farms with a midas for 45 minutes. Or perhaps they just can't seem to time those last-hits properly (rust with a given hero can do that sometimes).

Point is, there are lots of reasons people lose and yet rare are the times when an honest appraisal and self-critique of why the loss occurs. Rare is it simply because you're more or less skilled than the people you're paired with and against.

FACE

Banned
But doesn't that mean that the match-making it working as it should?

What Haly said is a way better explanation of the forced 50% thing, some people honestly believe that the game will match them up with crappy players as to force them into a 50% win rate.

Edit: They're listening to Skee-lo on the EU Hub.

Renoir

It really is quite amazing.

1.) Poor team compositions. Groups make it very difficult for themselves by picking 2, 3 even 4 carries. Or by failing to pick a single disable on the team.

2.) Poor itemization. Games are often won or lost by poor item decisions. Like not having BKB's on key damage dealers against teams full of CC and nukes.

3.) People play whatever the fuck they want. Often irrespective of what the team needs or their own experiences. For example, someone may play poorly...but perhaps they haven't played in awhile...or perhaps they're playing a hero they haven't played in 6 months+. Or perhaps they simply got outplayed this one time. Shit happens. Even the best players in the world get rekt occasionally. That one bad game you have with someone is not indicative of their ability to play the game.

4.) People don't give a shit about the key basic items that win games. Meks, Urns, Sheep Sticks, BKB's, Pipes. Not glamorous enough, I suppose.

5.) Sometimes you just get picked or outplayed. Ooops your team built themselves around a bunch of skill-reliant heroes...and the other team suddenly picks Silencer, Riki and Bloodseeker. Ooops, you don't have any picks to deal with that Lycan Shaman push. The shit just happens sometimes and if your group isn't alert or flexible enough to change what they want to play in order to give themselves a good chance of winning, a loss is probably coming.

6.) Perhaps the carry on your team didn't have any space to farm, for whatever reason (poor support, no support, enemy pressure, etc.) and is never able to come online and make a difference while the enemy carry free farms with a midas for 45 minutes. Or perhaps they just can't seem to time those last-hits properly (rust with a given hero can do that sometimes).

Point is, there are lots of reasons people lose and yet rare are the times when an honest appraisal and self-critique of why the loss occurs. Rare is it simply because you're more or less skilled than the people you're paired with and against.

I can see that.
But the Russians though??..

Quesa

It's like people don't know statistics. Each win is dependent on skill, obvs, but in the long run, if valve's goal is to "force fifty," they're better off creating matchups where teams have a 50/50 shot all the time and letting probability run its course than keeping track of players and saying "well this guy just won so let's ensure that they lose this time." That's way harder to implement coding wise and if you think that there are mysterious mods or something keeping tabs on your w/l, yous a dumb

Razzer

What Haly said is a way better explanation of the forced 50% thing, some people honestly believe that the game will match them up with crappy players as to force them into a 50% win rate.

Edit: They're listening to Skee-lo on the EU Hub.

Sing has excellent music taste.

I can see that.
But the Russians though??..

The russians are often pretty good. I've played with plenty of Russians that made sick plays.

JambiBum

The poor itemization part of Dreams post drives me insane with my group. I usually play offlane and will routinely have to tell my carries that they should get a bkb when the other team has decent magic damage but not a lot of disables. They like to think that bkbs are only good for disables and not the magic damage portion of spells. We lost a game the other day that we should have easily won because we were up against a Lich and Mag combo and no one bought a bkb because "their only real disable was RP and it wasn't that big of a deal". Except for the fact that when the Mag did land his RPs and Lich was there to combo it that plus they physical damage they had with Clinkz destroyed us in fights.

Our carries had out farmed theirs pretty well so they thought that they could take them in fights pretty easily. They were right in that when they didn't get RPed we had no problem in winning fights. I hate games like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom