• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT5| TECHIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

manfestival

Here is to hoping that clown 9 falls from grace. That way empire and eg can climb the ranks. my holy trinity of dota 2 would be complete. Alliance, empire, and eg. I hate EE

Reckoner

Treant is one of the few support heroes where ur team actually thanks you throughout the game - unlike the thankless hero u may play as someone else.

ur mid dove a tower, no prob imma shield u. Oh our lion in bot is about to die, nay not today! Viper reking fools 1vs3 with right clicks - no prob bro i got ur ass with armour. Templar wants to blink in with refraction vs 5 - ez rampage shield.

I was mostly helping a player with an Axe and it was really rewarding at the end. I even got a commendation. Such a peaceful hero.

Wok

Get ready!

9w891pw.jpg

Edit:

HgUXFkd.jpg

manfestival

empire and eg are already rated higher by like everyone

so not sure what youre talking about

internet bullies

Bro im not a bully. I aint bully anyone here. In fact, I love you. I love all of you beautiful dotes players. I know that they are rated higher but clown 9 has that huge singsing following (deservedly so cause hes hilarious and a fantastic player).

Chris R

I'm going to be interested in seeing the prize distribution when volvo announces it.

If they stick with 50% for first place that will be over $1,000,000 PER EACH PLAYER on the team... wow.

Cloud 9 needs rotate players in to different positions and get more comfortable with Sing carrying or Aui Carrying. Relying on EE is a crap shoot, he can be brilliant or he can be a fucking feeding machine.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Cloud 9 needs rotate players in to different positions and get more comfortable with Sing carrying or Aui Carrying. Relying on EE is a crap shoot, he can be brilliant or he can be a fucking feeding machine.

I think it's ironic that, in the most competitive of competitive dotos, teams are built upon their supports/offlaners/mid, which is the exact opposite of how it works in pubs. Even if you have an unreliable carry, as long as you keep giving him space, he'll eventually get into his groove and the team can ride him to victory. But if the supports are lacking? Then they're never going to get any space, no matter how good the carry is, even if it's the B-god.

Comp games are built on the backs of the 2-5, jobs too important to trust with a clown like EE. Better to have a carry that might fail at his job from time to time, than a support that fails all the time.

Razzer

I think it's ironic that, in the most competitive of competitive dotos, teams are built upon their supports/offlaners/mid, which is the exact opposite of how it works in pubs. Even if you have an unreliable carry, as long as you keep giving him space, he'll eventually get into his groove and the team can ride him to victory. But if the supports are lacking? Then they're never going to get any space, no matter how good the carry is, even if it's the B-god.

Comp games are built on the backs of the 2-5, jobs too important to trust with a clown like EE. Better to have a carry that might fail at his job from time to time, than a support that fails all the time.

Perhaps play like EG, with EE making space for Sing to be the one role? Though Sing would still need flashy heroes, he excels far more on say a QOP carry than a Lycan carry.

But i think EE can play a brilliant support, when he was the 4/5 position on no tide hunter he came up with so many different roaming gank strats and popularized the level 1 roshan. I am more impressed with DK's ability to draft then let the best player for that hero play that hero.

Haly

Perhaps play like EG, with EE making space for Sing to be the one role? Though Sing would still need flashy heroes, he excels far more on say a QOP carry than a Lycan carry.

EE doesn't have RTZ's discipline. That's the real problem, he's just too immature as a player.

The fact that mason plays 1 over RTZ, who is clearly a better 1/2, shows how it is with western teams. You put your actual best carry player as 2, with 1 going to the weaker carry player who just needs to blunder into godmode to do their job.

Discipline is not a problem with Chinese teams, in general, which is why BurNing deserves his 1 position simply by being the better 1 player.
But i think EE can play a brilliant support, when he was the 4/5 position on no tide hunter he came up with so many different roaming gank strats and popularized the level 1 roshan. I am more impressed with DK's ability to draft then let the best player for that hero play that hero.

I haven't been following C9 too closely so I'm not sure PieLieFeed and Aui stack up in the scene. I know Aui is good, in general, and Pie has the same problem as EE except as a support. If you replace Pie with EE and Aui with Pie (or just Aui with EE)... does that really make Cloud9 look stronger? Maybe they'll throw less, but that won't be so important if they never win their early-mid games again.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
EE doesn't have RTZ's discipline. That's the real problem, he's just too immature as a player.

The fact that mason plays 1 over RTZ, who is clearly a better 1/2, shows how it is with western teams. You put your actual best carry player as 2, with 1 going to the weaker carry player who just needs to blunder into godmode to do their job.

Arteezy is the 1 on EG. 1-5 just indicates farm priority, not lane setup, and arteezy will be given farm priority over mason almost all the time despite being mid-lane. Nearly every game, Arteezy will be ahead of mason on the net-worth charts. Arteezy plays the 1 from mid on EG in the same way that admiral bulldog plays the 2 (usually, sometimes he even slips into the 1 role) from the off-lane for alliance.

Anyway, my take on c9 is that their supports tend to fall apart sometimes (pie), as much as he makes big plays, he also tends to relentlessly feed a lot more frequently than other support players... Also sing is one of the more underwhelming mid players of the scene imo. He can make a huge impact (see meepo game), but 9/10 games he seems unremarkable.

Shinypogs

I really like when teams swap who is play what role, it makes things interesting and we see cool stuff like Mushi centaur + iceiceice invoker which was just pure happiness.

I am curious though as to why certain players just never seem to play certain heroes for their team. Like on Alliance both EGM and Akke have played AA, dazzle and Tree. Only EGM plays Wisp and Rubick though and only Akke plays undying and skywrath. Is it just comfort with the heroes, skill difference, the need for a second support that only x plays so y always gets stuck with certain ones?

I mean I love EGM rubick but I'd kind of like to see what Akke could do with him too. Heck one of the coolest things I saw was when s4 took Veno mid earlier this year when normally I only saw him played on Alliance by akke or egm. It's just neat to see certain heroes played by more than one person if they are capable of it and it falls into their role.

Haly

Arteezy is the 1 on EG. 1-5 just means farm priority, not lane setup, and arteezy will be given farm priority from mid-lane 80-90% of the time over mason.
I think this has more to do with RTZ's laning skill than whether he's 1-2. If you put mason mid, and RTZ bot, and ran the exact same comps, he would be 1. He will just rise to 1 from good play.

That said, I'm starting to look at 1-5 more in terms of laning than farm priority, because farm priority tends to shift (s4 going from 2->3, Bulldog going from 3->2) over the course of the game while the laning actually sets the tone for the game. I don't disagree with you on the farming front, I'm just looking at 1-5 another way.

KingKong

I dont know why people are criticizing C9 after they went to 5 games with Alliance at Dreamhack (where Alliance always wins), I actually thought they played really well

Also I dont get the blame for EE considering they lost game 5 because of Sing Sing getting 7 stacks of napalm and bone7 dying twice right after

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I think this has more to do with RTZ's laning skill than whether he's 1-2. If you put mason mid, and RTZ bot, and ran the exact same comps, he would be 1. He will just rise to 1 from good play.

That said, I'm starting to look at 1-5 more in terms of laning than farm priority, because farm priority tends to shift (s4 going from 2->3, Bulldog going from 3->2) over the course of the game while the laning actually sets the tone for the game. I don't disagree with you on the farming front, I'm just looking at 1-5 another way.

Not really. Arteezy has farm priority over mason, and I think that's a conscious decision by the team. EG picks arteezy greedy mids that allow him to take control of the jungle and the map over their safe lane carry. By picking carries like veno, tide, and BH at times, EG shows who has true farm priority. Arteezy is their 1, that's just their style. If you want to label mason as the 1, you have to argue that EG values mason's farm priority over arteezy, which isn't the case at all when watching most (there are always exceptions) EG games.

Arteezy's skill at lane control and farm is the reason why he plays a 1 from mid-lane, not why he always gets more farm as a 2 (which by definition makes him a 1 lol). Same deal with bulldog being the 2. Alliance consistently value his farm priority over s4 and it shows by their hero picks, ganking mids for s4 (puck, night-stalker, etc...) and greedy off-laners for bulldog (lone druid, prophet, slark).

1-5 is often confused for lane setup but it isn't at all. All it indicates is farming priority, and that often varies from team to team (though of course the traditional setup is often 1-safe lane, 2-mid, 3-offlane, 4-greedy support, 5-ward bitch support).

shira

I dont know why people are criticizing C9 after they went to 5 games with Alliance at Dreamhack (where Alliance always wins), I actually thought they played really well

Also I dont get the blame for EE considering they lost game 5 because of Sing Sing getting 7 stacks of napalm and bone7 dying twice right after

Not picking up the aegis, or being in a position to insta-grab is some kyxy level shit.

That's not what good teams do.

Haly

I am curious though as to why certain players just never seem to play certain heroes for their team. Like on Alliance both EGM and Akke have played AA, dazzle and Tree. Only EGM plays Wisp and Rubick though and only Akke plays undying and skywrath. Is it just comfort with the heroes, skill difference, the need for a second support that only x plays so y always gets stuck with certain ones?
As I've said, supports are integral to competitive doto, and while I'm sure in their off-hours they have fun switching spots, when money is on the line they'll do what they do best. Playing Rubick/Wisp requires a completely different skill set from playing Chen/AA. Akke is also literally one of the best Chen players in the world, you don't just throw someone else into those shoes to see how well they do.

On top of that, Alliance, to me, is very compartmentalized. They're not about bunch of five well-rounded players (and really, most teams aren't), but Alliance is especially guilty of being inflexible in terms of hero picks. This is why they fell off so hard after TI3, when their best heroes and strats were nerfed to the ground, and they had to spend an entire year plating catchup while EG is just crushing with how flexible RTZ/Universe is. Now they're back to where they were before, maybe slightly lower because the meta isn't favoring their strat of choice, but they've found a way to make their best tricks work so they'll be reentering their comfort zone.

Gav47

I hope Valve can get the model, creep, environment and base stretch goals finished before the start of the International, it would be really cool to see the games played with them.

Shinypogs

As I've said, supports are integral to competitive doto, and while I'm sure in their off-hours they have fun switching spots, when money is on the line they'll do what they do best. Playing Rubick/Wisp requires a completely different skill set from playing Chen/AA. Akke is also literally one of the best Chen players in the world, you don't just throw someone else into those shoes to see how well they do.

On top of that, Alliance, to me, is very compartmentalized. They're not about bunch of five well-rounded players (and really, most teams aren't), but Alliance is especially guilty of being inflexible in terms of hero picks. This is why they fell off so hard after TI3, when their best heroes and strats were nerfed to the ground, and they had to spend an entire year plating catchup while EG is just crushing with how flexible RTZ/Universe is. Now they're back to where they were before, maybe slightly lower because the meta isn't favoring their strat of choice, but they've found a way to make their best tricks work so they'll be reentering their comfort zone.

That makes sense, I guess for me it's hard to understand sometimes how both the supports can play a handful of the same heroes and yet only one of them can play certain ones. Same issue I had with not understanding why otherwise great players kept screwing up with Magnus who to me seemed less complicated than many other mids but who in actuality requires being good at a whole bunch of different factors.

There's a lot I still don't fully understand about how you have to think about certain heroes and what makes them all so different.

I can see your point on always picking the person whose the absolute best with a hero when it counts. At the end of the day in tournament it will always come down to " how do we win." experimenting will always happen where we can;t see the results of it :(

I actually wish Bulldog hadn't found a new NP build though, I was enjoying seeing him getting used to Nyx and centaur and was hoping to see more variety out of him because that would hopefully mean more variety from Alliance overall.

I find it weird that my favorite teams, Alliance and then DK, along with my fav players ( EGM then Iceiceice) are almost opposite in their strengths. At least from what I can see.

Haly

That makes sense, I guess for me it's hard to understand sometimes how both the supports can play a handful of the same heroes and yet only one of them can play certain ones. Same issue I had with not understanding why otherwise great players kept screwing up with Magnus who to me seemed less complicated than many other mids but who in actuality requires being good at a whole bunch of different factors.

There's a lot I still don't fully understand about how you have to think about certain heroes and what makes them all so different.
Yeah you'll get better at recognizing the complexity of a hero with time. People underestimate how hard it is to play a support well. Furthermore, they underestimate how hard it is to play a particular hero (Magnus), against pro-players. Reverse Polarity usage becomes very skill intensive when everyone on the other side has great map awareness, the nature of the game changes at that point.

I actually wish Bulldog hadn't found a new NP build though, I was enjoying seeing him getting used to Nyx and centaur and was hoping to see more variety out of him because that would hopefully mean more variety from Alliance overall.
He still needs to branch out, his tunnel-vision has been sore point for Alliance since he started playing with them. Bringing the Furion back just means he has a little more room to work with and hopefully not throw away that cool $1 million dollars at the end of TI4.

Hooray! Just played my 100th match! It was a pretty fun game where I played an abyssmal centaur and we got stomped for the first 30 mins, but we went on to win teamfights and a rosh skirmish to ultimately take the game.

Dota's pretty fun. I'll keep playing it.

Because they could be so much better! We bitch because we care.

It's basically tons of very little mistakes that add up super fast and against teams that know how to punish it it wrecks them.

EE's are most visible because he's the hard carry. Oh what the void is diving the tier 2 to get a kill against a disruptor *centers camera everyone tps kills eternal envy*. That's just asinine stuff.

Just tighten up and they'll be good. It's frustrating because they've been like that for a while. They need to boot camp and have a coach who can yell at them or something until they stop playing the game like a pub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom