• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT5| TECHIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Does Liquid seriously have only one strategy?

Aggressive trilane, Demon on KotL in the jungle, and a solo safe lane?

Mix it up for once, fuck.

No, they also have the strategy where Demon plays Witch Doctor. I expect them to pull out that one unless WD gets banned.

inkls

From what I understand, unranked matches are still ranked, so it can match-make correctly. Some people are probably good enough to get to the point where their hidden ranking matches them with competent players constantly. Some people are bad enough that they can't win matches, no matter the circumstances. It's really not rocket science. They obviously can't force all players to 50, all the time. I'm not at 50, but it sure seems like the system is attempting to lower my ratio on a constant basis.

People don't complain of a forced 50 in League of Legends.. Not surprisingly, I had far more wins than losses when I played LoL.

You assume everyone is a constant. Your performance will go up or down depending on many factors, not everyone is at their best 100%. Picks can also influence the outcome heavily. Dream-Vision listed a few factors already.

Not everyone gets their mmr due to the same factors. Some have really good mechanics but poor game knowledge so they might play like a 2k mmr player, but their decision making or item choice might be of a 1.5k mmr player.

The reverse is also true.

There's also some people who got their mmr by only playing pubstompers or one hero. So when they get to a level when they don't work or banned out those players may lack the skill level to not be a dead weight for their team.

There's also player synergy. You see it all the time at pro level. A team with great players that aren't able to win games because they have trouble communicating with each other.

If it happens at pro level, how much more often do you think this happens in solo queue when you pretty much get different people every match?

Some people might be playing a hero with the wrong playstyle. They might be used to aggressive heroes, but play like that on a squishy hero might screw them over.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I'm not mentally partitioning anything. The evidence is clear. 10-20 wins in a row and then 5-10 losses in a row, constantly.

Welp i guess that's it, pack it up guys. With this sample size and scientifically anecdotal study there's no refutation.

You assume everyone is a constant. Your performance will go up or down depending on many factors, not everyone is at their best 100%. Picks can also influence the outcome heavily. Dream-Vision listed a few factors already.

Not everyone gets their mmr due to the same factors. Some have really good mechanics but poor game knowledge so they might play like a 2k mmr player, but their decision making or item choice might be of a 1.5k mmr player.

The reverse is also true.

There's also some people who got their mmr by only playing pubstompers or one hero. So when they get to a level when they don't work or banned out those players may lack the skill level to not be a dead weight for their team.

There's also player synergy. You see it all the time at pro level. A team with great players that aren't able to win games because they have trouble communicating with each other.

If it happens at pro level, how much more often do you think this happens in solo queue when you pretty much get different people every match?

Some people might be playing a hero with the wrong playstyle. They might be used to aggressive heroes, but play like that on a squishy hero might screw them over.
And then there's the games you lose because everyone's too busy flaming each other instead of playing the game. You can tell they're actually wasting time because they're not moving their hero while they type. Plus all that mental energy goes to devising new creative way to call the feeder on the team an awful human being.

Low Tier
I get awful teammates occasionally but im so ownage it doesn't matter.

Honestly, the biggest thing that I did to jump mmr was to stop focusing on my teammates. Like I used to believe in my teammates and just go in assuming they could do something, but its honestly much smarter to just pick high impact heroes regardless of role. Here's my quick go-to list for winning ranked by farm priority.

1: ursa, slark, wraith king, lycan (if ur disgusting), void
2: invoker, ta, storm, tinker, bat
3: centaur, phoenix, timber, tide, nyx, potm, puck, dark seer, omniknight
4: sand king, earthshaker, tree, tusk, aa, visage
5: dazzle, rubick, rhasta, lina

Honestly I think offlaners and 4 position heroes have the biggest impact in ranked matchmaking, and that's just simply due to their nature. Sure you can win your lane mid and snowball, sure you can farm so hard that you bury the enemy team in gold, but there aren't many heroes that can do that regularly and dota at the end of the day is a 5v5 game. There will always be someone that picks a greedy safelane like AM, and mid has changed from a gank-oriented lane to a farming lane, so you can't afford to leave too much for ganks because it just makes you fall behind the enemy mid as you watch your team fall apart.

If you can play a really good offlane, you not only end up going even against their dual or trilane, but by playing these kind of heroes that can do alot of damage with just levels and an item or two you can really shift the game towards your team's favor while not playing a farm dependant hero.

4 position heroes like sand king or earthshaker also do really well because of their large aoe presence with no items, and their terrifying teamfight potential with one item.

Playing self-less support is fine if you want to be a good samaritan, but if you wanna win your best bet is to play a hero who can do enough for your team. Because really, most players in your mmr bracket are there because they belong there, and can last hit and execute simple things to the degree required by your skill level. If you really think you're better than people in your skill bracket, pick heroes that can actually do stuff and see for yourself whether you belong there or not.

I probably missed a hero or two, and obviously this list is just based off my own preferences and skills as a player, so feel free to sit down and compile your own list if you're serious about winning more or mmr climbing. But the fact remains that matchmaking isn't some big brother ordeal where they punish you for winstreaks, its simply what it is, matchmaking. If you're better then your pool, pick heroes that can show it and you'll see results. If you belong there, well guess what buddy you're gonna win some and lose some.

tl;dr: pick good heroes that dont have to rely on teammates if you think you're hot shit and see what you can do.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I remember when milkman was trash 48% win and now he's climbed up to 56%, what a fucking hacker.

Or maybe his account is bugged and Valve forgot to hit the brakes at 50% after they bumped him up.

Honestly, the biggest thing that I did to jump mmr was to stop focusing on my teammates. Like I used to believe in my teammates and just go in assuming they could do something, but its honestly much smarter to just pick high impact heroes regardless of role. Here's my quick go-to list for winning ranked by farm priority.

Honestly I think offlaners and 4 position heroes have the biggest impact in ranked matchmaking, and that's just simply due to their nature. Sure you can win your lane mid and snowball, sure you can farm so hard that you bury the enemy team in gold, but there aren't many heroes that can do that regularly and dota at the end of the day is a 5v5 game. There will always be someone that picks a greedy safelane like AM, and mid has changed from a gank-oriented lane to a farming lane, so you can't afford to leave too much for ganks because it just makes you fall behind the enemy mid as you watch your team fall apart.

If you can play a really good offlane, you not only end up going even against their dual or trilane, but by playing these kind of heroes that can do alot of damage with just levels and an item or two you can really shift the game towards your team's favor while not playing a farm dependant hero.

4 position heroes like sand king or earthshaker also do really well because of their large aoe presence with no items, and their terrifying teamfight potential with one item.

Playing self-less support is fine if you want to be a good samaritan, but if you wanna win your best bet is to play a hero who can do enough for your team. Because really, most players in your mmr bracket are there because they belong there, and can last hit and execute simple things to the degree required by your skill level. If you really think you're better than people in your skill bracket, pick heroes that can actually do stuff and see for yourself whether you belong there or not.

I probably missed a hero or two, and obviously this list is just based off my own preferences and skills as a player, so feel free to sit down and compile your own list if you're serious about winning more or mmr climbing. But the fact remains that matchmaking isn't some big brother ordeal where they punish you for winstreaks, its simply what it is, matchmaking. If you're better then your pool, pick heroes that can show it and you'll see results. If you belong there, well guess what buddy you're gonna win some and lose some.

tl;dr: pick good heroes that dont have to rely on teammates if you think you're hot shit and see what you can do.

i will lern 2 play invorker!

Yh my friend at work said the same thing . i need to turn the game around

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
When it comes to probability, relying on your intuition is the most basic mistake you can make. It's funny you bring up the lack of "forced 50" complaints in League, because you never for one moment stopped to consider that maybe it's League that has anti-streak mechanisms in place, which would be wholly in line with their company philosophy of an enjoyable player experience first and foremost. It may just as well be that you were conditioned by League into thinking even distributions of wins and losses across small sample sizes is the norm (when there is no reason they should be), while streaks represent some kind of abnormality.

traveler

Not Wario
I want to vote Shadow Demon, but there's no way he's beating sf or invoker. So, the real question is: which of those two do I want to win? Invoker has items, but that's by virtue of having a broken down model, so it's not a particularly fair comparison. SF's model sucks, but he is getting a remake regardless of the vote, and I don't believe in the "hurry it along" strat as his rework is already underway and Valve will likely release the arcana whenever they feel like it. Invoker has more potential for cool arcana additions, but he's also more likely to trash other contestants I'd rather have win, as he's probably the second closest behind pudge to winning in general.

Speaking of pudge, what should we vote to make sure he doesn't win? They put him up against a bunch of people I don't care about. Storm Spirit maybe?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
i will lern 2 play invorker!

No plz... the world cannot handle the power that is freakinvoker. It's not ready to know.

DON'T DO THIS FREAKINCHAIR!!!

tumblr_mw3rurB3751s20ivko1_500.gif

I wish I had an above 50% winrate. It bothers me to no end that I can't get there (48-49%/ 12-30 games below .500 range). Every time I hit around 10-14 games below .500, I start dropping more games than winning...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Chair voker would legit be worse than bokr's OG one spell invoker.

Hupsel

I have about 47% wins but 70% of my matches are solo and I had no idea wtf I was doing when I started playing (didnt know the difference between carries and support).

Ketch

Knowledge bomb

great post.

I have scrub tier questions.

Are you working on your MMR in AP? Do you insta-pick your hero? I feel like I have my short list (mirana, timber, bh, shadow shaman), but insta-pick and get countered or forced into support sha sha and can't carry my team.

Swig_

Welp i guess that's it, pack it up guys. With this sample size and scientifically anecdotal study there's no refutation.

It wouldn't be a point of debate if there weren't a massive amount of people complaining about it. Besides, I said that this was based on my experience with match-making. Congrats on being a dick for no reason.

Island

Does anyone in this thread have a record of less than 40% or greater than 60%?
I don't normally post in this thread, and have only played a few matches recently due to the Compendium. But this question made me check my win % because I knew that I was less then 40 and I wanted to whine about it.

44.18% over 240 games.... So I guess that's not bad in the scheme of things?

52club

I find being an aggressive support in all pick pubs games the easiest ways to get wins (besides when broodmother was broken). For me that equates to Veno, Gale is such a great tool to kill the other teams melee carry. Then hope your carries can take advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom