• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT5| TECHIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
A bit minor, but I'm not convinced those odds are completely accurate. Since there is 3 "winners", you can't really calculate how much you can get from a bet, since you don't know which other two teams will win. D2L bets are simply based on distributing the bets placed on all losing teams.

Pratfall

So is anyone else getting a weird glitch where the camera zooms in but you can't zoom it back out? I'm guessing it might be my mouse but it only started happening after this new update. It's been happening in games and I have to dc every time to fix it.

Also I can't zoom out while spectating

I'm getting the same thing. My mousewheel doesn't zoom at all anymore and the spectator zoom doesn't work at all.

i lost as chen, the wisp on my team would port me out when i was split pushing with my creeps. then i click on my guy i am dead because wisp has great idea for me too gank a SF. Were is Akke to coach me?

Rahk

So is anyone else getting a weird glitch where the camera zooms in but you can't zoom it back out? I'm guessing it might be my mouse but it only started happening after this new update. It's been happening in games and I have to dc every time to fix it.

Also I can't zoom out while spectating
I haven't played today so not sure about this bug, but if you type dota_camera_disable_zoom 1 in console it should make it revert back to default rather than having to disconnect.

Also, if you're having trouble with spectator zoom try typing dota_camera_disable_zoom 0 in console. I was wondering why it wasn't working for me and discovered I had it disabled in my autoexec.

Had my first game using Slark against real people. Fucked up pretty bad early game. Went mid and Outerworld destroyer just depleted all my mana. Thankfully our carry got to level 21 while everyone else was in the early-mid teens so we ended up winning and I bounced back from my misplays slightly and ended up with a good amount of kills and assists. Picking off fleeing enemies is great, as is stalking a group from the shadows and waiting for one to break formation. Gotta get better at preemptive dark purge though.

And of course I have to use other heroes for when Slark doesnt fit the group composition or is taken.

edit: One thing I found bot practice good for is getting into the "flow" of a character's early game in order to time last hits/denies better.

Quesa

I haven't played today so not sure about this bug, but if you type dota_camera_disable_zoom 1 in console it should make it revert back to default rather than having to disconnect.

Also, if you're having trouble with spectator zoom try typing dota_camera_disable_zoom 0 in console. I was wondering why it wasn't working for me and discovered I had it disabled in my autoexec.

Disabling the zoom worked for when I'm playing, but enabling it during spectating does not. I'll leave it off for now so everything's like it was before. Also, I can't open up console without enabling it in the launch options? Finally no one answered my question about who KvH was on here or if he was a lurker

Ties

Banned
Why is Pudge rarely used in competitive matches but the most popular hero outside of it?
He's dependent on early snowball and he loses the mid role against other mid heroes, no escape either. He doesn't seem to fit in any other lane either because he needs some farm to excel, he can't babysit the carry nor go offlane.

Shinypogs

Speaking of mid why are SF and OD mids when they seem like they'd benefit from being safelane? Also we normally see Nyx offlane but some pro players take him mid and I do not understand under what circumstance or vs what matchups you deviate from normal lanes for heroes.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Speaking of mid why are SF and OD mids when they seem like they'd benefit from being safelane?.
Their ability to secure last hits is so amazing that, in a 1v1, they have a huge advantage almost any hero on the other side, but in a 2v2, that advantage falls drastically because of the threat of harass.

Also we normally see Nyx offlane but some pro players take him mid and I do not understand under what circumstance or vs what matchups you deviate from normal lanes for heroes

Nyx mid counters certain heroes, I can't recall which off the top of my head, and also works when you want a quick 6 so he can go ganking some priority target, which is a bit slower in the offlane.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
So i played invoker and i finally managed to do my Euls combo correctly, feels good man. Unfortunately i still got a long way to go, i only remember to use 5 spells max :(

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Wow, thanks Valve. Instead of giving me an item, I got 51 compendium points, 1 higher then what the max should be.

Wok

A news data analysis website:
http://dotaflame.com/match/detail/731905051

Gold lost (deaths, buybacks, etc.) and win Rate based on picks:
5dnSCSk.jpg

Player-specific experience curves as a function of time:

Base status at the end of the game:

Shinypogs

Their ability to secure last hits is so amazing that, in a 1v1, they have a huge advantage almost any hero on the other side, but in a 2v2, that advantage falls drastically because of the threat of harass.

Nyx mid counters certain heroes, I can't recall which off the top of my head, and also works when you want a quick 6 so he can go ganking some priority target, which is a bit slower in the offlane.

Ahh okay, thanks.

Hylian7

http://dotabuff.com/matches/732104523

So the other team complained about how Tinker is "extremely overpowered and will get nerrfed soon". I laughed.

Their logic was "If you see him every game then he must be overpowered.", which is also laughable.

That does bring up a point though. I notice IceFrog does balance things sometimes not necessarily because they are OP, but because he wants to change things up. For instance, I hate Mirana, but that Mirana nerf last patch wasn't really necessary, because she wasn't really OP. Did IceFrog nerf her simply because she was picked too often? Does the same thing apply in Batrider's case too?

I think it definitely applied during the 6.79 Midas craze too. Midas wasn't ever really OP, and hell it even was nerfed (sort of) that patch as you couldn't Midas Necro dudes, yet that was the patch everyone started getting late Midases.

Obviously we know IceFrog likes to bring heroes that are unpopular, or extremely week, and sometimes bring a crazy rework to them to make them viable. For instance, many patches back when Huskar's Berserker's Blood was changed to what it is now (magic resistance replacing damage), and removed from CM. Or Medusa's reworked Stone Gaze (with the stone effect, and not just an AoE purge).

Has IceFrog always done balancing this way historically, or is this more of a recent evolution?

Kard8p3

So the other team complained about how Tinker is "extremely overpowered and will get nerrfed soon". I laughed.

Their logic was "If you see him every game then he must be overpowered.", which is also laughable.

That does bring up a point though. I notice IceFrog does balance things sometimes not necessarily because they are OP, but because he wants to change things up. For instance, I hate Mirana, but that Mirana nerf last patch wasn't really necessary, because she wasn't really OP. Did IceFrog nerf her simply because she was picked too often? Does the same thing apply in Batrider's case too?

I think it definitely applied during the 6.79 Midas craze too. Midas wasn't ever really OP, and hell it even was nerfed (sort of) that patch as you couldn't Midas Necro dudes, yet that was the patch everyone started getting late Midases.

Obviously we know IceFrog likes to bring heroes that are unpopular, or extremely week, and sometimes bring a crazy rework to them to make them viable. For instance, many patches back when Huskar's Berserker's Blood was changed to what it is now (magic resistance replacing damage), and removed from CM. Or Medusa's reworked Stone Gaze (with the stone effect, and not just an AoE purge).

Has IceFrog always done balancing this way historically, or is this more of a recent evolution?

Fuck tinker

worst hero in game

Jex

Tinker can go die in a fire. I hope icefrog removes Rearm and fixes that shit hero. He's a plague on the game, the community, and on the whole of esports.

Which reminds me, I need to go practice some Tinker.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Mirana had like a fucking 60% winrate in pro games while also being one of the most picked heroes int he meta. Not overpowered my ass.

Demoli

I honestly expect tinker nerfs on the next patch, but I'd like them to fix the blink nerf before they do anything major.

If he is stilll a problem after that, make it so he cant rearm Blink at all. 12 sec cd is low enough.

I think the worst is that Tinker just makes the game unfun for every player but the tinker player. His team can't farm anywhere and the enemy team gets choked and in danger of instagib if he went dagon first. Other heroes were nerfed before due to their "unfunness" like PL and spirit breaker, and they were not nearly the nuisance Tinker is.

Carlius

Banned
razor such a good freaking hero. scrubs level up Q first lol. That W sends them all running so hard.

edit: lol at the tinker haters. hes a great hero, but you have to be good to play him, you cant just be any scrub. i am so bad with tinker, i cant even get boots of travel lol

Carlius

Banned
So someone explain why one of the commentators said Batrider was super great lategame? I don't think he's wrong but I'm not sure why that is. Is it just Lasso's ability to start teamfights?

not only lasso is good to pick ppl off but his fire will destroy everyone while theyre all busy fighting. they will burnnnnnnnnnn.

i remember one game i had with bat, we were losing very badly, i said, if i get blink, we win the game. we won. thats how powerful blink bat is. picking ppl off can win u a game

Demoli

Tinker is NOT hard to play. He is hard to play in high comp circles, but in pub dota? As long as you know the spots where you can march multiple camps at once and remember to stack the ancients if you're radiant and you're golden. After that It's smooth sailing by just TP'ing when your team is fighting and farming the rest of the map if they aren't. Scythe is a great first item in higher skill games, but dagon rush is legit since you can blow up supports.

Source: I am a godaweful tinker and still get beyond godlike streaks constantly.

What exactly has led to this rise for Tinker? Iirc he hasn't received any buffs in recent patches. Is it just a case of him recently being played more in the pro scene putting more of a spotlight on the hero?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom