• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT5| TECHIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shira

Timebreakers over $100 wtf this market is crazy

I heard one guy bought like $10,000 worth to corner the market.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Wait. What makes Earth Spirit so great?

My unscientific research of trying him once at extremely low level play didn't produce any "OMG WOW!" moments.
Using my usual 2/1/2 build, this is what he has at level 5:

Boulder Smash Level 2:
Mana Cost: 100
Range: 2000
Radius: 200
Damage: 125
Stun: 1.25 seconds

Rolling Boulder Level 1:
Mana Cost; 50
Range: 1600
Radius: 150
Damage: 135
Slow: 80% MS/AS for 2 seconds

Geomagnetic Grip Level 2:
Mana Cost: 75
Range: 1100
Radius: 180
Silence Duration: 3
Damage: 150

For 175 mana, you have 1.25 seconds of AoE long distance hard CC, 3 seconds of AoE long distance soft CC, 2 seconds of AoE slow, and 307 magic damage after hero resistance.

This is Brain Sap Level 3:
Mana: 175
Range: 600
Damage: 230 (172 damage after resistance)
Heal: 230

Now, you say, "but Haly, this assumes you hit all your skills!" and, yes, yes it does, and if I can hit all 3 of those skills consistently I can't imagine s4 or Dendi having much difficulty with him. It's true, pro players are better at dodging than pubbies are, but his skills are significantly easier to land than Arrow, or Hook, because they go through units, they're fast, and they're spammable.

But the real magic happens at 6...
http://a.pomf.se/zattxi.webm

And how does Phoenix auto win his lane at level 2?
Because then he has both Dive and Fire Spirits. At 1, he only has one or the other, so he needs to choose between survivability or farming. At 2, he gets both.

He can farm creeps from 1400 units away, simultaneously fucking with the carries last hits, and the lane equilibrium (because sometimes you push creeps to pull them to you), sniping jungle pulls or killing the jungle on his own. It costs only 80 mana and some HP, and if he's playing defensively it doesn't really matter that he uses up his own HP, because he can just eat a tango.

Meanwhile, he has one of the most amazing movement abilities in game, with a DoT, huge range and built in slow, that double as a feint (pretend to dive far but come back to where they were originally). He can also shoot off Fire Spirits while diving, for that extra bit of security. Unless he fucks up, or gets ganked by mid, he is nigh unkillable while being able to farm from wherever you're zoning him to.

AOpLbGa.png

I should have seen this coming.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
He was talking about Hylian abusing Earth Spirit to get to 4k, right before the nerf.

Regarding Earth Spirit. He'll be nerfed/changed before he hits CM. Then he's going to get immediately removed from CM when everyone realizes how broken he is and Icefrog panics.

Ditto Phoenix.

Heard it here first!

Oh so Hylian is a fraud?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Why worry about those two heroes when Zet and fucking Oracle are incoming? Icefrog losing his mind, giving new guys too many tools.

So like, do people like Haly and Hylian practice this game in their spare time? Or do you guys just get good from playing the game regularly for so long?

inkls

Why worry about those two heroes when Zet and fucking Oracle are incoming? Icefrog losing his mind, giving new guys too many tools.

I can't wait for zet, looks like an awesome carry. Interested to see double midas' with his ult amongst other things.

Shinypogs

I just spent 80 minutes in my second game as Tinker, he's kinda fun but playing him feels like playing a turn based rpg. You learn the required moves and you rinse and repeat to victory or in my case defeat. I didn't even get to have cool cutscenes or date anyone !

Even if I think he makes pro games pretty boring I'll probably play him myself from time to time just because he's rather unique.

Hylian7

I just spent 80 minutes in my second game as Tinker, he's kinda fun but playing him feels like playing a turn based rpg. You learn the required moves and you rinse and repeat to victory or in my case defeat. I didn't even get to have cool cutscenes or date anyone !

Even if I think he makes pro games pretty boring I'll probably play him myself from time to time just because he's rather unique.

When you throw Sheepstick into the mix it gets fun though. It's all about making those decisions during that. "Can I get a laser off before this sheep ends and before I have to rearm and sheep again?"

Shinypogs

When you throw Sheepstick into the mix it gets fun though. It's all about making those decisions during that. "Can I get a laser off before this sheep ends and before I have to rearm and sheep again?"

I bought one and used it like 3 times :(
I suppose that's better than the forcestaff I used never. The more items I have to fiddle with the more I make mistakes or forget one. I suppose in a way playing Tinker forces me to learn to use items I normally can't afford or just skip on heroes I play regularly.

sixghost

I bought one and used it like 3 times :(
I suppose that's better than the forcestaff I used never. The more items I have to fiddle with the more I make mistakes or forget one. I suppose in a way playing Tinker forces me to learn to use items I normally can't afford or just skip on heroes I play regularly.

It's something that you need to practice. Try to make sure that his key items are on the same hotkey each game and you'll get the hang of it. After a while it's 2nd nature.

Quesa

Ok I am gonna pick Earth Spirit as my favorite even if I don't win that much with him anymore. I want to believe

now what should be my five items

Timebreakers over $100 wtf this market is crazy

I heard one guy bought like $10,000 worth to corner the market.

So tempted to sell mine =/ but I feel as the game gets more and more players the value will just keep rising. and what would I do with 100 steam bucks

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I just made $10 over the last week by my Dragonclaw Hook appreciating from $230 to $240.

Ez dollars ez life.

Jex

What exactly is broken about phoenix, fire bird is fun but doesn't seem to be like pre-nerf terrorblade broken.

I'm grateful that Phoenix is never picked in 99% of my cooper-tier games because whenever that creature appears he's a real terror that literally destroys every team fight you try to have. You think the random pub players you've been matched with are poorly organised now, just wait till you see them to try to deal with a Phoenix.

ZeroX03

Banned
I like these 49c treasure specials. All it does is drop the price of the items hard, then I just pick up what I like for dirt cheap.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I like these 49c treasure specials. All it does is drop the price of the items hard, then I just pick up what I like for dirt cheap.
Got that Legendary Kotl staff for $1.75. Simply great.

Traders are crying though, and this may be why immortal items are going up in price (Since traders are looking for safe "investments")

invoker picker: me mid
pudge picker: me offlane
*hover the cursor over doom
invoker picker: doom jungle would be great awesome i gib commend
-- 7 min into the game --
invoker: the enemy carry is freefarming. we fukken lost

dota 2

Kard8p3

http://dotabuff.com/matches/734740183

On my smurf and I took captain, pink(the clinkz) talked shit about how I was a TBD in ranked taking captain, ended up they were around 3.6k according to him.

He ends up being worst player on team and many laffs were had.

get rekt.

edit: SUCH IS MY LIFE I ENDED UP ON HIS TEAM AGAIN.

Demoli

What exactly is broken about phoenix, fire bird is fun but doesn't seem to be like pre-nerf terrorblade broken.

At level 2, he wins the lane. At level 3, he becomes impossible to kill. Atl level 6, its a trippe kill on trilanes. He just shits out damage early on and has a reliable escape.

Edit: Had the most frustraring game last night. Wrecked shit with brewmaster, ganked everyone, created 30 mins of fpsace, and yet none of our cores farmed anything substantial.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I got the Slark dagger AND KotL staff from opening one chest.

Today was a good day, and I've only been up for 15 minutes.

Using Bounty Hunter for the first time
Doing okay with a teammate on top lane, 2 kills 1 death
Team chat message comes up
'report bounty hunter'
No advice, no clue as to what I'm doing wrong, not feeding
'report bounty hunter'

Fuck off.

I have no problem with being told what I'm doing wrong or even abused if I keep doing it and end up feeding. That pissed me off though. How can I tell if I was actually reported?

Wok

I have no problem with being told what I'm doing wrong or even abused if I keep doing it and end up feeding. That pissed me off though. How can I tell if I was actually reported?

Who cares if you are reported? It takes a lot more reports to go to low-priority.

ViviOggi

Using Bounty Hunter for the first time
Doing okay with a teammate on top lane, 2 kills 1 death
Team chat message comes up
'report bounty hunter'
No advice, no clue as to what I'm doing wrong, not feeding
'report bounty hunter'

Fuck off.

Just mute people like that immediately, the chances that they will offer useful advice later on are incredibly slim.

A few reports mean nothing.

Kard8p3

At level 2, he wins the lane. At level 3, he becomes impossible to kill. Atl level 6, its a trippe kill on trilanes. He just shits out damage early on and has a reliable escape.

Edit: Had the most frustraring game last night. Wrecked shit with brewmaster, ganked everyone, created 30 mins of fpsace, and yet none of our cores farmed anything substantial.

i know that feel

went like 29-4 once with Brew and team still lost bc ppl are dumb.

MadGear

I dare to say that those requesting reports are usually out of reports anyway because they report everyone for something that isn't even report-worthy. "Killsteal" during a teamfight -> report; dare to get a single creep kill that he wouldn't have gotten anyway -> report, ... .

Some are just bitter, you need to get used to this when playing Dota.
So just mute them and have fun playing the game, if you start taking this stuff seriously you won't enjoy this game for long.

Mohasus

You can't. It doesn't matter though if you aren't doing anything reportable. And even if you were, you had to do it lots of time.

I trash talk every once in a while and get reported but I never went to LPQ (3000+ matches).

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I'll tell you what guys, I'm more hype for TI4 than I've been for pretty much anything in the last decade but if it gets to a point where it's just Chinese teams left I am checking right the fuck out of the entire event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom