• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT5| TECHIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That doesn't really deal with the possibiilty of Fnatic pressuring Era not to play, which judging by those emails, has already happened.

Yeah obviously but in reality it would have been the best solution if Fnatic (or their management) weren't being really scummy about it

Wok

With all this said, I had a skype coference with the team 2 days ago when they returned from LA. They said that they don’t trust my health state and think it would be a risky and bold move to take me to TI as I can’t go back to the bootcamp with them, therefore, they pretty much had me fired of the team (still contract signed) for the rest of the summer, as they think they can do “better” with a Standin. So, my question here is, are they allowed to do that? Especially knowing that I CAN play at TI 4.

Best regards, Adrian

At the point where there appears to be other agendas in play, our default position will always be to protect the individual players ability to compete in the tournament they were invited to. This is the pattern we followed based on the data we received, specifically the assertion from Era on June 13th that he was healthy and ready to play, and that the team was not acting in his best interests.

The reply from Patrick six days later mentions compensation for Era in the event that Fnatic was to have a financial windfall from their performance in the tournament, but given Era’s previous mail to us about his actual medical state and desire to play, this felt like an unfair way for a team to improve their roster so close to the start of the tournament, by compensating the player and removing him from the roster.

At this point, we felt like we had the data we needed to make a decision, and insisted that they played with Era.

Wow!

Kard8p3

Is everyone getting their tickets shipped to them? On ticketmaster it says mine is being held and is available for pickup the day of the event.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
IT'S HERE IT'S HERE MY TICKET IS HERE

I want my ticket! I wonder how different the floor tickets will look. Like, maybe they will be Holographic or something.

Was anyone else going who wasn't on this list? We had a small spreadsheet a while ago, but we likely should update/redo it since at the time a lot of stuff was like "Well, we will sleep somewhere and arrive eventually"

• arab
  • Artanisix
  • bounchfx
  • Cyborgmatt
  • Dreams-Visions
  • Drkirby
  • Emerson
  • Hazaro
  • Kard8p3
  • Ketch
  • rhfb
  • Roy G. Biv
  • SteveWinwood
  • Tobe
  • traveler
  • TUSR
  • Vamlock
  • Wunder

Is everyone getting their tickets shipped to them? On ticketmaster it says mine is being held and is available for pickup the day of the event.

If you live in the US, you will have the ticket mailed to you. KeyArena sent an email out on May 30th about it. The FAQ put up on the website says we should get them by the end of next week.

KingKong

I still dont think its a one sided issue where now it's entirely Fnatic's fault. It is definitely shitty to try to kick your player because you think you'll do better without him, but it also sounds like he panicked and went behind their back to Valve even though it was a team decision to not have him play, so he's basically forcing their hand

Wok

Because of the nature of your situation, my opinion is that the decision about what you can and can’t do is best left to medical experts. You should produce documentation from who you’ve been working with that states that you’re in a healthy state and ready to compete. Assuming you have that, the only way Fnatic will competing at The International will be with you sitting in one of the five seats.

Medical certificate needed for esports!

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
I doubt fnatic really tried to dump Era because they think xcalibur is better, but just because they could practice with him in person. Like the emails say, a lot of dota at that level is specific preparation for matchups and adapting to how teams play. They won't be able to do that with Era as easily while he is at home, would have with xcalibur.

And on that note I doubt xcalibur is an upgrade from Era. They won games because people weren't prepared for tinker and not-notail meepo strats, and you see these wins going away as xcalibur is figured out.

EDIT: Still very disappointed in fnatic for trying to box out Era, they've been my favorite team for a long time and this makes me doubt their character.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I still dont think its a one sided issue where now it's entirely Fnatic's fault. It is definitely shitty to try to kick your player because you think you'll do better without him, but it also sounds like he panicked and went behind their back to Valve even though it was a team decision to not have him play, so he's basically forcing their hand

It's not. Everyone involved is culpable somehow but really, the only one who kept their heads is, it seems, is Valve.

Suck it, Fnatic fanboys.

(Looking at you, bokr)

xanavi

Damn, Fnatic management's got some 'splainin' to do. Next time shit like this happens someone's gotta remind us that Valve always, always has the player's best interests in mind first and foremost.

Raytow

I wish I could play CK2 but I have no idea whats going on. Can anyone coach me?
Assassinate your spouse if you find something better, your first son if it turns another of yours can get better stats, assassinate anyone who opposes you, and also marry your daughters to rich Kings(if they are married assassinate his spouse)

Wok

It is ironical that you need to travel to take part in an esports tournament. Why could Era not play with the rest of the team from a good place in Sweden?

Baha

Fnatic's situation with xcalibur is also suspect (era not allowed to attend LANs before ti4 for example: https://twitter.com/EraDota/status/477431831907028992) and makes it hard to believe that they would bench Era entirely out of goodwill.

antigoon

Agreed. It's still a really tough situation. I don't think competitive Dota at the highest levels should go on much longer without some sort of reserve system so that Valve does not need to get involved in crucial team breaking decisions like this in the future.

ksan

There's literally one e-mail from Era in that "entire" correspondence, and some days later carn send a mail saying that they came to the agreement, with Era and his family, to let xcalibur play.
So, what happened? Era seems to want to play from his twitter profile now though.

Is Erik Johnson actually responsible for the steam customer support?

IT'S HERE IT'S HERE MY TICKET IS HERE
ME TOO

hxxVJGy.jpg

With all this said, I had a skype coference with the team 2 days ago when they returned from LA. They said that they don’t trust my health state and think it would be a risky and bold move to take me to TI as I can’t go back to the bootcamp with them, therefore, they pretty much had me fired of the team (still contract signed) for the rest of the summer, as they think they can do “better” with a Standin. So, my question here is, are they allowed to do that? Espicially knowing that I CAN play at TI 4.

I fucking knew it. So many here so quick to attempt to make Valve into the villain as if you had all the information and boohoo where's my Fnatic at TI4 should have waited for the full picture to come into perspective.

Nah, fuck that organization.

Makes a lot of people over here and on Reddit look a tad silly now, doesn't it?

Looks like some people on Reddit think Valve is making this up. Link
If Era really wanted to play at TI, why did he retweet Fnatic's blog post and didn't say anything to go against it? If he really wanted to play at TI4, he would've defended his case. Being silent and even going to the point of retweeting the article shows his stance belongs on the side of Fnatic. Somethings not adding up here.

Wok

If we are forced to play with Era, that right now is not himself, there is no guarantee of what is going to happen at the International in terms of results and knowing that we've worked our asses off for this event and with what is at stake, the worst feeling everyone would have and that includes Adrian is, that you didn't do whats possibly best for this year’s International.

Yours,
Kai

It's obviously sad for us to hear but we have to accept it.

I wasn't sure if it was clear in my last email but we are going to attend The International with Adrian in this scenario. Where we end up in terms of results is questionable but we won't give away an entire year for nothing.

What a bad wording.

There's literally one e-mail from Era in that "entire" correspondence, and some days later carn send a mail saying that they came to the agreement, with Era and his family, to let xcalibur play.
So, what happened? Era seems to want to play from his twitter profile now though.

Is Erik Johnson actually responsible for the steam customer support?
erik johnson is a god

so why didnt era just email that to them

its not hard to see why they wouldnt take the managements word straight up at that point
Looks like some people on Reddit think Valve is making this up. Link

those reddit mathematicians

Quick question, are you guys getting your ticket though USPS or something like UPS?

first class USPS

antigoon

I don't understand how someone can be suffering from depression and anxiety so bad that he had to be committed to a hospital can be just fine after a month or whatever.

[Era] must be admitted into a programme, as well as being put on anti-depressive drugs that for the first 3-4 weeks will make his mental condition worse.

That email was sent less than a month ago. There's still something more to this story unless Sattermon was just lying.

Wunder

I want my ticket! I wonder how different the floor tickets will look. Like, maybe they will be Holographic or something.

Was anyone else going who wasn't on this list? We had a small spreadsheet a while ago, but we likely should update/redo it since at the time a lot of stuff was like "Well, we will sleep somewhere and arrive eventually"

If you live in the US, you will have the ticket mailed to you. KeyArena sent an email out on May 30th about it. The FAQ put up on the website says we should get them by the end of next week.

Me I'm going please add me to the list let's hang out and be friends yay

I wonder if they're going to do autographs again this year.

It was super-cool when the venue was small and the lines manageable. But with 8x-10x the number of attendees, I don't really see how it's possible or realistic. Have they said anything about it?

Wok

Icefrog doesnt actually work for Valve and the just use his name as a marketing tool to keep fans happy.

Source:
my ass

IceFrog is actually a computer program.

We can't put ourselves into his position and can’t judge any of his actions but obviously everyone is very depressed about the current situation.

With your decision on how we are supposed to process for the upcoming TI, we've obviously gotten very depressed.

Yours,
Kai

Fire this guy, his sentences stink.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I fucking knew it. So many here so quick to attempt to make Valve into the villain as if you had all the information and boohoo where's my Fnatic at TI4 should have waited for the full picture to come into perspective.

Nah, fuck that organization.

And now you're doing the exact same with Fnatic.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

It was super-cool when the venue was small and the lines manageable. But with 8x-10x the number of attendees, I don't really see how it's possible or realistic. Have they said anything about it?

I though I heard people saying the Workshop station will still do it this year, but it may be hard to get player autographs.

Maybe they are going to do like multi-hour long autograph sessions, the days like will be somewhat short since there will only be 10 sets of games total. Likely 3 Day 1, 3 Day 2, 3 Day 3, and maybe have the last day dedicated to the final so they don't have to worry about the loser bracket winner being fatigued.

ksan

erik johnson is a god

so why didnt era just email that to them

its not hard to see why they wouldnt take the managements word straight up at that point

They asked him for medical records to really show that he was able to play, but there's no evidence of that happening.
Did they lie when they said that was the entire correspondence? Obviously they don't have to attach his medical records, but at least show that there was an e-mail or something.

Regardless, it once again shows valve's incompetence in communicating.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

I haven't heard anything. Like you I dunno how it'd be feasible. Honestly I don't even understand how the Secret Shop can be feasible to buy shit.

I haven't heard anything. Like you I dunno how it'd be feasible. Honestly I don't even understand how the Secret Shop can be feasible to buy shit.

Well I've never been to that arena, but at ever basketball arena I've been to there are multiple gift shops and concession stands. Usually 3 or 4 gift shops and 8-10 concession stands. So use gift shops as the "Secret Shops" and maybe some of the concession stands as overflow? I think that should be enough to keep things moving without lines being excessive.

Oh and DON'T RUN OUT OF SHIT AGAIN. That was a big reason people were standing in line forever rather than just going when they felt like it: things would sell out without you knowing an item you wanted was even in stock, much less on the verge of being unavailable.

I though I heard people saying the Workshop station will still do it this year, but it may be hard to get player autographs.

Maybe they are going to do like multi-hour long autograph sessions, the days like will be somewhat short since there will only be 10 sets of games total. Likely 3 Day 1, 3 Day 2, 3 Day 3, and maybe have the last day dedicated to the final so they don't have to worry about the loser bracket winner being fatigued.

I just don't see how it can work at all man. Half the fucking stadium may get up if it's announced that Dendi is signing autos at the Autograph Table. Dendi may be generous enough to sign autographs for 2 hours, but even then given how people like to talk and take pictures, that might only be 300 or 400 autographs. At TI3 this worked because lines were only a couple hundred people long, max. Just less people in general. At TI4...it's just not possible.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Well I've never been to that arena, but at ever basketball arena I've been to there are multiple gift shops and concession stands. Usually 3 or 4 gift shops and 8-10 concession stands. So use gift shops as the "Secret Shops" and maybe some of the concession stands as overflow? I think that should be enough to keep things moving without lines being excessive.

Oh and DON'T RUN OUT OF SHIT AGAIN. That was a big reason people were standing in line forever rather than just going when they felt like it: things would sell out without you knowing an item you wanted was even in stock, much less on the verge of being unavailable.

Well that's what I figured they'd do, but if you look at the back of the ticket there's a diagram of the arena. They show a separate building outside of the arena as "The Secret Shop."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom